• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trent Cotchin

Old Man Rivers

I would suggest that the WCE and the AFL are deep in this. Its not been just a case of the WCE defying the AFL. The AFL will stage manage this with the result that Cousins is finally gone.

Such is life!

I'm confused, are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Do you not think that, in an effort to sweep this under the rug again, that the AFL will have a word with West Coast and suggest they pick up a WA boy given that Cotchin's family (remember he is not 18 yet, so his parents surely have a big say in this) do not want him to go to Perth?

IMO the AFL will want this story to go away as quickly as possible. If Cotchin is drafted by West Coast, you can bet your bottom dollar that the story with his dad will be blown up in the media again, every Victorian journalist will write about the poor Victorian kid who is now destined to be poisoned by the West Coast drug culture an so on and so forth.

Like I said, neither West Coast nor the AFL can afford to rock this drug boat any more.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not think that, in an effort to sweep this under the rug again, that the AFL will have a word with West Coast and suggest they pick up a WA boy given that Cotchin's family (remember he is not 18 yet, so his parents surely have a big say in this) do not want him to go to Perth?

IMO the AFL will want this story to go away as quickly as possible. If Cotchin is drafted by West Coast, you can bet your bottom dollar that the story with his dad will be blown up in the media again, every Victorian journalist will write about the poor Victorian kid who is now destined to be poisoned by the West Coast drug culture an so on and so forth.

Like I said, neither West Coast nor the AFL can afford to rock this drug boat any more.

Jaded, wouldn't that then also be considered as draft tampering? wouldn't a swift firm and definite response from the AFL both be better in terms of how the public view the organization and not bring them selfs into disrepute by trying to hide the incident? something like the baning of Ben and penalise the club?

Thats a good point Jaded. I wonder how far a father could take this kind of opinoun. If he legitimately thought his son could be in harms way playing for the Eagles could he stop him from being drafted by them and if so would that mean Trent would have to make himself unavailable from playing for any club in 2008.

Or would that mean he is being forced to forego an oppurtunity to earn a living and therefore be allowed to play elsewehre.

This could be very interesting and end up in the courts if the Cotchin's are passionate enough and the AFL play their cards poorly. They probably can't force the Eagles to do anything but they could make a strong suggestion it would be in the best interests of the Eagle to play their cards close to their chests and pick a local boy.

Surely if he is just the accused at this stage they wouldn't sack him. Isn't one innocent until proven guilty in Australia

yeah but it is pretty clear cut when he is found in possession of drugs, and the policeman says 'we need a swab of your saliva' and ben says 'no'. he has been charged with refusing a saliva swab, as well as the possession. its not like a circumstantial murder case where he gun was found somewhere, blood was found, the body wasnt, and there is half a finger print! but i get your point.

Jaded, wouldn't that then also be considered as draft tampering? wouldn't a swift firm and definite response from the AFL both be better in terms of how the public view the organization and not bring them selfs into disrepute by trying to hide the incident? something like the baning of Ben and penalise the club?

I doubt you'll hear about it if it was to happen. Everything will be done behind the scenes, and the public will be none the wiser.

The AFL will take action regardless, but remember that they gave their stamp of approval when they let Cousins back on the field after only 28 days in rehab. This is as much their fault as it is West Coast's at this point.

Also, I'm not sure if it's draft tampering for a parent of a minor to have a say in their son's career, but I'm not sure about the AFL precedures.

yeah but it is pretty clear cut when he is found in possession of drugs, and the policeman says 'we need a swab of your saliva' and ben says 'no'. he has been charged with refusing a saliva swab, as well as the possession. its not like a circumstantial murder case where he gun was found somewhere, blood was found, the body wasnt, and there is half a finger print! but i get your point.

Did he refuse a saliva swab, I was under the impression it was the blood test he refused.

I have no doubt he is guilty and i am sure the police, the club and the AFL are of the same opinoun but legal precedence suggests that knowing something and proving it are entirely different things

Do you think a drug squad was following him because they suspected he was high?

I have a feeling they followed him because he is involved in more than just simple recreational use.

I also have a feeling that because he is treated like a rock-star/God by the people of Perth, that he is also being targeted by the police as a high profile case to push their anti-drug agenda.

They may cut him a deal if Cousins reveals his dealers, but then Cousins will need to run and hide because you do not mess with these people.

i thought i read it was both saliva and blood test. saliva swab would be what they do at the scene, blood test back at the station.

they stopped him because he was driving erratically. i doubt the police even knew it was him driving when they pulled him over. maybe the searched car was because of his history. maybe it was because he was pinging like an alley cat, no shirt, 18 yo blonde in tow, and driving erratically. who knows? but if they really found something the search was justified.

so just to clarify...kreuzer going to carlton

so we probably get the worst out of

Palmer

Cotchin

Morton

and maybe masten---id take any of them but palmer is my personal preference

Cotchin is the pick of that bunch

My mail is next best option by a mile is MASTEN.

I know he has OP but my info comming ot of the West is he is better than Palmer & Morton

I know he has OP but my info comming ot of the West is he is better than Palmer & Morton

Thats what I've read OMR. Palmer adds the cream but Masten earns the money, buys the ingredients and bakes the cake himself. Wasn't he captain of the WA side as well?. OP is a plague but you would hope we would be able to manage it well enough. Does anybody have any concrete information on Morton? I've heard good things about his skills, his athleticism and his raking kicking ability, but then I've heard other things about his poor attitude and his unwillingness to win the footy by himself. Where exactly should he be going in the draft? Does somebody have an informed opinion to offer on him?

you will find that masten averages about 13 touches in the wafl while palmer averages about 25. go figure.

You will find its not about quantity of possession in todays game its about quality.

Masten oozes quality.

I'm sure both boys will be exceptional players in the AFL over the next decade.

My faith is with CAC to make the correct call. I'd be wrapped to have either on board @ The Dee's.

Word coming out the west is Masten would be a huge risk ... he is a one-eyed Eagle ... think he works for them.

If we took him good chance we would have a Judd in reverse in 2 years.

why would you want to touch a guy with OP?...seriously

it has ruined luke ball and it has ruined moloney and it is not doing any favours with sylvia. Why take the risk? Palmer averages 25 touches of class and Masten averages 13 touches of class. quantity matters as well, otherwise guys like leon davis would be draft pick 1..the problem is..they cant get the ball ENOUGH

Palmer averages 25 touches of class and Masten averages 13 touches of class. quantity matters as well, otherwise guys like leon davis would be draft pick 1..the problem is..they cant get the ball ENOUGH

Look that's twice you've made that claim - let's see the figures that actually back it up.

Your line that I quoted suggested that WCE need to toe the AFL line. I think they have been in this together. I think your other comments would back that.

However, I dont see any player being withheld from the WCE by a concerned parent. And as the AFL may consider draft penalties at the AFL commission, I cant see the AFL telling them who to take with a draft pick they could well lose.

WAFL stats:

Palmer - 17.9 ppg from 14 games

Masten - 14.1 ppg from 15 games

FWIW, I think Masten is a superior player (from very limited viewing). Palmer is a good, honest workhorse, while Masten has some genuine class.

Just as I thought I had read elsewhere!

Freak, your 25 vs 13 argument is looking pretty sick.

I cant see the AFL telling them who to take with a draft pick they could well lose.

I don't think they'll have pick 3 taken away, which is why I believe they will have a word to West Coast about drafting a WA kid as to not cause any further issues.

WAFL stats:

Palmer - 17.9 ppg from 14 games

Masten - 14.1 ppg from 15 games

FWIW, I think Masten is a superior player (from very limited viewing). Palmer is a good, honest workhorse, while Masten has some genuine class.

Thought i'll throw this in.

Brad Ebert - 19 ppg but only from 5 SANFL games.

Interesting to see how CAC rates players who play against men rather then draftees playing against the same age players.

As for not drafting interstaters for the fear of 'go home factor'... well for every player that goes home, 10 others will stay in their new environment.

i have another crappy rumour but here goes....i spoke to someone today whose family wants to be one of the families that has a player living in their house for the year, one of the young players like bartram did, and they got a call last night saying that it is very likely that a young west australian boy might be staying with them next year!! palmers....i hope

i have another crappy rumour but here goes....i spoke to someone today whose family wants to be one of the families that has a player living in their house for the year, one of the young players like bartram did, and they got a call last night saying that it is very likely that a young west australian boy might be staying with them next year!! palmers....i hope

Myers or Gourdis I hope.