Cousins...Trade or not to trade???

jackson45

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many kids around the traps for him to influence. He is a great player with at least 2 good seasons left in him. The Saints or Maggies would take a stab at him.

He's not the right fit for Melbourne given his age and likely cost (in terms of both trade and salary).

Off the mark regarding a bad influence on kids though. For all his personal problems, there is no doubt he has been a role model for Kerr, Judd, Priddis, etc, to show what is required during games and on the training track to be a champion player.

NO!

And not just for the drugs issue.

As good as Ben Cousins is on the field, he will always be better in his own mind.

Too old for a fresh start but also to young in the head. Displayed in the completely inappropriate way he hoisted the 2006 cup with Judd.

Displayed by his cross country run from the police. Displayed by his lack of public apology to the supporters of West Coast (mainly the kids who only know that Cousins didn't play most of the year) he has let down through his stupid actions and

You know what guys, let's be realistic here for a second.

1. Cousins is unlikely to provide a negative influence in a drug sense to players at another club.

- Due to the constant pressure on him to stay clean and the threat of being kicked out of the league (which means more to him than people realise) his situation is different to that of a normal recovering drug addict. If Ben is likely to relapse it's either going to be right now (after the death of a very close friend) or when his career is over and he is no longer subject to constant drug tests (which he is at the moment, the most recent of which being in the last 48 hours).

2. There is no player in the league who could provide a better example of how to push yourself to the absolute limits on the field than Ben Cousins

- Judd has said it. Kerr has said it. When they arrived at West Coast they saw Cousins physically exhausted, barely able to walk to his car after training, let alone after games. It's the same at Brisbane, when a young player saw Simon Black push himself to the point of throwing up in the last quarter of a game against the Saints a few years ago.

3. He'd cost bugger all and he'd give us a bloody good midfielder.

4. As a club due to the extra media attention our guys would probably be drug tested more, which given the way the system is set up, rightly or wrongly, I think is better - I'd rather one player kicked out early than letting multiple slide through and us ended up with the problem that a few other clubs have right now.

Obviously there are negatives:

1. Added media attention and scrutiny

- You can argue that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but after the year West Coast have had...

2. It wouldn't be good for Ben to come to Victoria to any club

- The fishbowl with two clubs vs the AFL fishbowl with 10 clubs, he'd be the most following player in the city.

3. Cost in terms of trade? After losing Judd the Eagles wouldn't want to give up a pretty good midfielder for bugger all.

Regardless, our President has already said that we wouldn't have a player like Cousins at Melbourne. It might have been a stupid comment on something that has nothing to do with him, but it kinda of rules us out.

If it was my choice I'd certainly consider it - I don't think Cousins is a bad guy - he's made some bad choices and been directed wrongly by some people but if he's serious about keeping his crap together and playing footy and the price isn't too high to get him then he'd be worth a punt.

He's not the right fit for Melbourne given his age and likely cost (in terms of both trade and salary).

Off the mark regarding a bad influence on kids though. For all his personal problems, there is no doubt he has been a role model for Kerr, Judd, Priddis, etc, to show what is required during games and on the training track to be a champion player.

For all his personal problems, there is no doubt he has been a role model for Kerr, Judd, Priddis, etc. Thats true & I agree that he's probably too old for our needs.

100% AGREE WITH YOU HARDS.

Completely agree, finally some sense about Cousins.

If this is true, I would be SHATTERED if we didn't try and get him.

He is a superstar. I rate him over his career to be much better than Judd and im 100% on the thought if he could have played out Port game, the Eagles would have won.

He is the player who on field I respect the most in the league, no one works harder, would love him in the red and blue.

no, no, no.

we dont want people like that at our club.

he is old as well.

woud be disgusted if we even spoke to him. he has ruined westcoasts culture and footbal reputation.

people who want him, at 30something years old, are just silly.

100% AGREE WITH YOU HARDS.

Completely agree, finally some sense about Cousins.

If this is true, I would be SHATTERED if we didn't try and get him.

He is a superstar. I rate him over his career to be much better than Judd and im 100% on the thought if he could have played out Port game, the Eagles would have won.

He is the player who on field I respect the most in the league, no one works harder, would love him in the red and blue.

Seconded. But it all comes down the the price. I don't know if I'd even want to part with our 2nd round pick for him. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gives a side more than 2-3 years of good football. To me he smacks of being that Robert Harvey type of athlete who could probably play on till he's 33 or 34. He isn't overly quick; his game is based on endurance. I would definitely take him, but obviously it depends on the price.

Depends on the price.

If he came cheap (he won't), and agreed to a strict contract whereby any trouble means he's getting the flick, then yes absolutely.

Cousins is a gun, pure and simple. Gun players are ALWAYS welcomed at Melbourne for the right price.

If you value culture at the Club and MFC's is shaky at best, then Cousins is dead weight in that area.

I am concerned that as a person Cousins just does not get it regarding drugs and by his associations still has got nowhere near it.

Anyone think where his mind is at? Is properly rehabbed? Would he give a stuff about playing for a Vic club?

If he is such a gun midfielder and WCE have already lost one (Judd), why would WCE be shopping him around.

At 29 with his issues, no thanks.

Cousins is a gun, .....

a loaded gun ?? :unsure:

You know what guys, let's be realistic here for a second.

1. Cousins is unlikely to provide a negative influence in a drug sense to players at another club.

- Due to the constant pressure on him to stay clean and the threat of being kicked out of the league (which means more to him than people realise) his situation is different to that of a normal recovering drug addict. If Ben is likely to relapse it's either going to be right now (after the death of a very close friend) or when his career is over and he is no longer subject to constant drug tests (which he is at the moment, the most recent of which being in the last 48 hours).

2. There is no player in the league who could provide a better example of how to push yourself to the absolute limits on the field than Ben Cousins

- Judd has said it. Kerr has said it. When they arrived at West Coast they saw Cousins physically exhausted, barely able to walk to his car after training, let alone after games. It's the same at Brisbane, when a young player saw Simon Black push himself to the point of throwing up in the last quarter of a game against the Saints a few years ago.

3. He'd cost bugger all and he'd give us a bloody good midfielder.

4. As a club due to the extra media attention our guys would probably be drug tested more, which given the way the system is set up, rightly or wrongly, I think is better - I'd rather one player kicked out early than letting multiple slide through and us ended up with the problem that a few other clubs have right now.

100% agree with you Hards.. Spot on.. His a champion and a gut runner.. Maybe might show a few of our players the effort you need to put in to achieve the best.

If you value culture at the Club and MFC's is shaky at best, then Cousins is dead weight in that area.

I am concerned that as a person Cousins just does not get it regarding drugs and by his associations still has got nowhere near it.

Anyone think where his mind is at? Is properly rehabbed? Would he give a stuff about playing for a Vic club?

If he is such a gun midfielder and WCE have already lost one (Judd), why would WCE be shopping him around.

At 29 with his issues, no thanks.

Agreed.

I love a good story like S Johnson and A Embley coming back from the drink to play in premiership sides but I probably like them so much because they don't happen too often.

I wonder where A Sampi is heading next year.

As I stated in the trade thread, Ben Cousins will be delisted next week by the the Eagles

So there is a good chance we can get him in the PSD