Cousins...Trade or not to trade???

jackson45

As I stated in the trade thread, Ben Cousins will be delisted next week by the the Eagles

So there is a good chance we can get him in the PSD

Where are you getting this? I'm not necessarily doubting, as implausible as it sounds, but are you just going with the old Yze Magic Adamant Speculation (YMAS), or have you got a reliable source?

We'd be mad not to at least meet with him and see what's going on inside his head. 4-5 years left in him I reckon.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you getting this? I'm not necessarily doubting, as implausible as it sounds, but are you just going with the old Yze Magic Adamant Speculation (YMAS), or have you got a reliable source?

We'd be mad not to at least meet with him and see what's going on inside his head. 4-5 years left in him I reckon.

Reliable spurce

And when YM hears from one of his sources, you better sit up and take notice

Guest unstable punt
Oh come on. In a heartbeat. It's a no brainer.

He would come cheap if he is being shopped around, he has come from a successful culture, is durable, and I would love him in my side. But I think other clubs would take him first.

I'm with you I reckon he would bring a lot of interest to the club and is a bloody good player, he is only 29 so he has 4 more years left in him

Guest unstable punt
As I stated in the trade thread, Ben Cousins will be delisted next week by the the Eagles

the toygs will take him first

It's extremely disturbing the lack of serious thought people are giving to this thread.

Let's consider for a moment that the Eagles have lost their best player in Judd. Now if you buy into the rumour being true they are going to delist their next best in Cousins.... anyone want to stop and consider why? Not even offer him up for trade for God's sake but just delist him. Why is that do you think...

If he get's delisted I'd be very surprised if he nominated for the PSD, I'd be staggered if anyone took him if he did.

It's extremely disturbing the lack of serious thought people are giving to this thread.

Let's consider for a moment that the Eagles have lost their best player in Judd. Now if you buy into the rumour being true they are going to delist their next best in Cousins.... anyone want to stop and consider why? Not even offer him up for trade for God's sake but just delist him. Why is that do you think...

If he get's delisted I'd be very surprised if he nominated for the PSD, I'd be staggered if anyone took him if he did.

It's good that you're doing all the thinking for us Graz.

If he is delisted, he is probably on the way to jail or rehab... :unsure:

I doubt Cousins will be delisted, but rather publicly put up for trade. There's enough teams out there that would take a chance on him.

I'm bemused by the people that think just because he went to rehab he's the source of all evil.

There's probably a number of players in the league that need to go to rehab for their issues but stick their head in the sand and continue to do damage to themselves. There's guys that have [censored] away their career by getting lost in drugs, talented guys out of the league in five years when they could have played 200+ games. We've seen plenty of players having issues with alcohol, do their time and make their way back. Some of them could probably have used "rehab". Some privately did. And if you believe the documents that channel 7 and Dylan Howard released, there are other current AFL players that have undergone forms of rehab for drug addiction.

He's on a one-strike policy with the AFL as it is at the moment, so he's kicked out if he relapses.

Assuming the cost would be little, both to salary cap and to trade for, which it most likely would be, then it'd be more than worth a punt.

Nearly every Premiership team has a story of redemption - Martin Pike, Barry Hall, Andrew Embley, Steve Johnson, if they've got the talent on the field then sometimes the change of scenery works.

Reliable spurce

And when YM hears from one of his sources, you better sit up and take notice

Hate to say it YM, but I question your source. This doesn't look like the sort of thing a club who is on the brink of delisting, or even trading a bloke would say (Nisbett's comments);

Link

I doubt Cousins will be delisted, but rather publicly put up for trade. There's enough teams out there that would take a chance on him.

I'm bemused by the people that think just because he went to rehab he's the source of all evil.

There's probably a number of players in the league that need to go to rehab for their issues but stick their head in the sand and continue to do damage to themselves. There's guys that have [censored] away their career by getting lost in drugs, talented guys out of the league in five years when they could have played 200+ games. We've seen plenty of players having issues with alcohol, do their time and make their way back. Some of them could probably have used "rehab". Some privately did. And if you believe the documents that channel 7 and Dylan Howard released, there are other current AFL players that have undergone forms of rehab for drug addiction.

He's on a one-strike policy with the AFL as it is at the moment, so he's kicked out if he relapses.

Assuming the cost would be little, both to salary cap and to trade for, which it most likely would be, then it'd be more than worth a punt.

Nearly every Premiership team has a story of redemption - Martin Pike, Barry Hall, Andrew Embley, Steve Johnson, if they've got the talent on the field then sometimes the change of scenery works.

Which people have stated that because he went to rehab he's the source of all evil? I havent seen any comment to that effect.

On the basis of the one strike AFL policy how is anyone assured that he has done the necessary rehabilitation to overcome the chemical addictions he is addressing?

Stories of redemption make great press - Hall, Pike, Embley and Johnson came back from attitude and/or alcohol issues. Cousins issues run deeper than that and the process of recovery is far more complex than the above.

If there are a number of players that need to go to rehab in the AFL they should do it. Its blase to adopt the attitude that there are a number of players who have issues as diminishing Cousins problems.

Once again has anyone considered Cousins motivations to play AFL away from Perth and at what price would you get him at?

Its not a matter what DB does but where Cousins mind is at.

If Cousins is on a one strike policy and he is being tested approximately every two weeks (as per the deal to get him back in the league) then given the length of time the drugs he is believed to have had issues with stay in a persons system it's a pretty safe bet he hasn't slipped off the wagon. That said falling off the wagon and being rehabillitated are two different things, but he's obviously progressing in that respect.

What's the difference between him and two players who have undergone and continue to undergo treatement for substance problems from another club?

Just because Cousins' issues are public doesn't make his any different to those who are undergoing treatment away from the public eye.

You know I think people really over do just how BIG Cousins addiction was.

Notice how he never seemed to care and acted like it was a bit of a joke, and has never really admitted to having an issue.... He may not have been such a bad user.

I know countless people who will have a pill on the weekend or something else. I would not consider them a full blown addict. Cousins has admitted he used drugs after games on the weekends. He didn't use on a tues night, thurs night, daytime user.

He was a recreational drug user. Not a full blown drug addict in my opinion.

And that is why I don't believe he will really relapse and "fall off the wagon".

Notice how he never seemed to care and acted like it was a bit of a joke, and has never really admitted to having an issue.... He may not have been such a bad user.

I know countless people who will have a pill on the weekend or something else. I would not consider them a full blown addict. Cousins has admitted he used drugs after games on the weekends. He didn't use on a tues night, thurs night, daytime user.

He was a recreational drug user. Not a full blown drug addict in my opinion.

And that is why I don't believe he will really relapse and "fall off the wagon".

He ran from a breathalyzer and took his shirt off to hide it! he spent weeks in rehab! he missed more than 10 training sessions, embley and chick were told to put on the gloves at training to sort out there issues. he went missing for days to be found in a friends house monday or tuesday morning with a lot of white stuff on the bench and naked females over him!

he was not a recreational user he is an addict, dont kid yourself about this, it is very serious.

if i was you i would tell your mates what police have found are used to make these drugs! and how addicctive they are!

He ran from a breathalyzer and took his shirt off to hide it! he spent weeks in rehab! he missed more than 10 training sessions, embley and chick were told to put on the gloves at training to sort out there issues. he went missing for days to be found in a friends house monday or tuesday morning with a lot of white stuff on the bench and naked females over him!

he was not a recreational user he is an addict, dont kid yourself about this, it is very serious.

if i was you i would tell your mates what police have found are used to make these drugs! and how addicctive they are!

First off. I would run from a breatho too. Think about it, if you stay you loose your licence for god knows how long. If you run, they catch up with you down the track, you are now only in trouble for fleaing the scene, not being drunk behind the wheel.... Do you think he would rather be caught wasted as [censored]?

2. He was forced to go to rehab, he didn't want to or think he needed to, the AFL made him. Only way he could continue his career, he never said, I need to go to rehab, either did any West Coast official.

3. MASSIVE FABRICATION with the missing for days thing. He didn't show up for training and then didn't answer the clubs calls for two days. He then showed up and admitted he had been out. Was never found with powder everywhere.....

4. Then you better tell almost 60% of people aged 17-23. Im not a user, but everyone else seems to be. One out of like a thousand will be a bad drug. You or more likely to die of alchohol poisoning, spider bite, plane crash, car crash, animal attack than drug related death.

Don't talk like you know all because the AFL and drugs are bad mkay speech told you.

1 out of 1000 is a bad drug, i would have thought they are all bad!

Meaning 1 out of 1000 has the slim slim slim chance it is bad and will actually do serious harm to your body.

4. Then you better tell almost 60% of people aged 17-23. Im not a user, but everyone else seems to be. One out of like a thousand will be a bad drug. You or more likely to die of alchohol poisoning, spider bite, plane crash, car crash, animal attack than drug related death.
You're more likely to die in a plane crash or a spider bite than a drug-related death? Haha.

First off. I would run from a breatho too. Think about it, if you stay you loose your licence for god knows how long. If you run, they catch up with you down the track, you are now only in trouble for fleaing the scene, not being drunk behind the wheel.... Do you think he would rather be caught wasted as [censored]?

2. He was forced to go to rehab, he didn't want to or think he needed to, the AFL made him. Only way he could continue his career, he never said, I need to go to rehab, either did any West Coast official.

3. MASSIVE FABRICATION with the missing for days thing. He didn't show up for training and then didn't answer the clubs calls for two days. He then showed up and admitted he had been out. Was never found with powder everywhere.....

Don't talk like you know all because the AFL and drugs are bad mkay speech told you.

very ignorant post buddy.

running from a booze bus results in worse punishments than the drink driving, not just fleeing the scene.

and that 1 in 1000 thing? uve got no idea.

i can confirm that he wont be at WC next year yze_magic. but i have heard he will be back in the US by next week and will probably retire...if i've ever trusted a source before it was this one...

i can confirm that he wont be at WC next year yze_magic. but i have heard he will be back in the US by next week and will probably retire...if i've ever trusted a source before it was this one...

Does not surprise me

I am sure he was told he was going to be sacked, and may have decided to retire instead

Either way, if he leaves the Eagles a lot of people will be apologising to me