Herald Sun Player rankings

Whispering_Jack

Could somebody please explain how these work and what they mean?

I read in today's HUN that Nathan Jones spent 85% of the time on ground and finished with 20 disposals, eleven of them contested possessions. His ranking for the game was 29.

Paul Wheatley spent 100% TOG for the same number of disposals but had a ranking of 94.

Collingwood's Tarkyn Lockyer had 91% TOG for his 20 disposals, gave away three free kicks and finished with a ranking of 108.

Despite all of the above, Jones was voted third best on ground. Both Wheatley nor Lockyer who had much higher rankings failed to get in the votes.

Am I missing something?

I read in today's HUN that Nathan Jones spent 85% of the time on ground and finished with 20 disposals, eleven of them contested possessions. His ranking for the game was 29.

Paul Wheatley spent 100% TOG for the same number of disposals but had a ranking of 94.

Collingwood's Tarkyn Lockyer had 91% TOG for his 20 disposals, gave away three free kicks and finished with a ranking of 108.

Despite all of the above, Jones was voted third best on ground. Both Wheatley nor Lockyer who had much higher rankings failed to get in the votes.

Am I missing something?

Haven't seen the papers yet however on my count at the match Jones was caught holding the ball 5 times... That counts as a negative score either clanger or freee kick against so I am not surprised.

Jones kept putting his head down and trying to break tackles and maintaining possession too long. The reason why this was forgivable and hence the listing in the best was the lack of options presented to him by his teammates.

He managed to win the conteseted footy but felt he had to go alone as there was a lack of run and leads from fellow players the filth were tackling well and he was caught... again and again and again..

Haven't seen the papers yet however on my count at the match Jones was caught holding the ball 5 times... That counts as a negative score either clanger or freee kick against so I am not surprised.

Jones kept putting his head down and trying to break tackles and maintaining possession too long. The reason why this was forgivable and hence the listing in the best was the lack of options presented to him by his teammates.

He managed to win the conteseted footy but felt he had to go alone as there was a lack of run and leads from fellow players the filth were tackling well and he was caught... again and again and again..

Most of the times Jones was caught was because there was not a Melbourne team mate to give the ball off to when he took possession. The other times he was caught in tackles by Thomas that he just managed to hold / retard Jones. I don't mind Jones going in hard, but Melbourne needs to get players at the defensive side of packs more often.

Most of the times Jones was caught was because there was not a Melbourne team mate to give the ball off to when he took possession. The other times he was caught in tackles by Thomas that he just managed to hold / retard Jones. I don't mind Jones going in hard, but Melbourne needs to get players at the defensive side of packs more often.

That is a very valid point.

Jones and Brock got caught with the ball a lot last night. Sometimes, it was unnecessary, but most times they simply had nobody to kick the ball to. Given our distinct lack of skills and ability to hit a target, it is no wonder that when those two get the ball, they don't want to waste it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. What I don't understand is, why other teams have plenty of numbers and free men around the contest to help the ball-winners, but we don't!

At least Jones and Brock don't just bomb it out and straight to the opposition. That annoys me more than anything.

It's good to see players trying to break the game and take players on. Dunn tried it both last week and last night. Last week he kicked a great goal, last night he got pinged for holding the ball. That's just how the cookie crumbles.

Am I missing something?

look at their effiency out of 100%. major factor. whats got me is someone scores a 130+ and their price decreases

Jonesy got the most votes in the Coaches' Award this week (9 out of a possible 10).

Coaches > Herald Sun

Jonesy had a great game and both Riley and Malthouse acknowledged it. He is our one massive shinning light for 2007 (with apologies to Petterd, Juice and Frawley)!

That is a very valid point.

Jones and Brock got caught with the ball a lot last night. Sometimes, it was unnecessary, but most times they simply had nobody to kick the ball to. Given our distinct lack of skills and ability to hit a target, it is no wonder that when those two get the ball, they don't want to waste it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. What I don't understand is, why other teams have plenty of numbers and free men around the contest to help the ball-winners, but we don't!

At least Jones and Brock don't just bomb it out and straight to the opposition. That annoys me more than anything.

It's good to see players trying to break the game and take players on. Dunn tried it both last week and last night. Last week he kicked a great goal, last night he got pinged for holding the ball. That's just how the cookie crumbles.

u can defend jones but not brock..... brock dropped a gimmie mark coz he toook his eyes of the ball..... then proceeded to take a player on..... no momentum -no take of speed and brock is useless at breakin a tackle and thats exacly wat happened..... the second time he tried again same story

jones was crashing thru packs and turning the best way to do it..... mclean is not nimble enough to take a player on .....

he should stick to bursting thru packs with strenght and momentum at the ball

it was very silly for brock to try this....

Jonesy got the most votes in the Coaches' Award this week (9 out of a possible 10).

Coaches > Herald Sun

Jonesy had a great game and both Riley and Malthouse acknowledged it. He is our one massive shinning light for 2007 (with apologies to Petterd, Juice and Frawley)!

spot on

juice and jones..... wow lookin forward to 2008

Am I missing something?

Of those 10 clangers I think at least 4 of them were holding the ball. That seems to be his biggest weakness at the moment. He gets caught with the ball far too often and isn't able to get his arms free for an effective handball. If he can develop this side of his game it will result in a marked improvement. Brocky could use some of that as well.

If you watch Sydney and WCE midfielders you will notice that even when tackled they are often able to make an effective disposal without getting called for a free kick or turning it over, I think Daniel Kerr is the best exponent of this in the entire league. Unbelivably tough to retard completely in a tackle. Very strong through the trunk.

My point is that they still put him in the best despite his low stats-based ranking.

the people giving the bests are probably not the people that do the stats, therefore they are less likely to care about points

POINT SCORING - HERALD SUN SUPERCOACH

Effective kick 4 Points

Ineffective kick 0 Points

Clanger kick -8 Points

Handball effective 2 Points

Ineffective handball 0 Points

Handball clanger -6 Points

Handball receive 1 Point

Hardball get 4 Points

Loose-ball get 4 Points

Goal 8 Points

Behind 1 Point

Mark uncontested (maintaining possession) 1 Point

Mark contested (maintaining possession) 6 Points

Mark uncontested (from opposition) 4 Points

Mark contested (from opposition) 8 Points

Tackles 4 Points

Free kick for 4 Points

Free kick against -6 Points

Hitout to Advantage 3 Points

Stupid system if you ask me, thats why I prefer dreamteam over supercoach...

Disagree, I think it makes more sense. Using this system players like J.Brown and Judd are the types that rank the highest, where as in the dreamteam system it's the West, Scotland, Joel Bowden types that rate the highest. I know which group of people I rate higher.

Disagree, I think it makes more sense. Using this system players like J.Brown and Judd are the types that rank the highest, where as in the dreamteam system it's the West, Scotland, Joel Bowden types that rate the highest. I know which group of people I rate higher.

Bit rough on West there, but otherwise pretty right.

Clanger kicks and frees against are penalised overly harshly though - problem with all stats is their arbitrariness.

Bit rough on West there, but otherwise pretty right.

Clanger kicks and frees against are penalised overly harshly though - problem with all stats is their arbitrariness.

Exactly, they over do it with losing points for clangers IMO.

By the way, I didn't say DT score is better in the way of how good players are, just I think it's a better scoring system for fantasy football. :)