Has David Neitz reached the end of the road?

demonique

I am not convinced he'll get up for next season! and I believe he is being played even though injured in order to get to 300 he so richly deserves!!

I can only think it's because he's going to pull the plug at the end of this year. The real problem for Neita today wasn't his teammates. He dropped a lot of marks he normally would have taken and chose some really bad options.

This is my fear too...

Though he did come out in the media a few weeks ago and say he was committed to playing again next season. I just reckon a big-headed coach may come in and not want to rely on him so much. Maybe that's why he's desperate to play and play and play. He could get to next year on 299, do a knee in the pre-season... and be stranded on 299 for all time.

God knows that's his luck.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't retire good players prematurely. If he wasn't so important to the team on field, and if he wasn't captain he'd be just another veteran on the injured list... only this veteran is the most decorated, experienced and important demon of the past 10 years.

He's that good that even when he's not going to be at his best for 22 rounds, you still retain him. Like Grant at the dogs, only he's a better player.

But like White, Yze and soon JMac, we as supporters have to learn to lower expectations just a bit...

Not a good year for Neeta...he's lost his close buddy and mentor. He's struggling with fitmess and game sharpness. Seems to be struggling all around. Cant ever doubt his heart but maybe his heart doubts him !! he's only human. He's unlikely to play beyond next year, if that. He's seen his beloved Demons chances of a premiership in his career go to [censored]. Cant blame the lad if he doesnt feel too great at present.

Well, I believe David will pull the pin on his career before the new coach does it for him. And thats the way a champion should go by nominating the time and place. You don't want to see him go out with a wimper. HIs body has taken many hits over the past seasons and the toll is beginning to bite hard!

Such as our team is, its going to take a huge amount of rebuilding and alas, I don't think that Neita will survive the cull.

Persistent injury often saps confidence going for the ball.

For a player we have loved and admired, Neitz has always had hard hands and nearly 300 games of AFL have not softened them.

It will be up to Neitz if he plays on next year. I hope he will if he is fit. But if he get to 300 this year, its will be a line ball decision

You could see the frustration yesterday at having to take a half volley everytime the ball comes forward! The fact that he often has to compete against three defenders and also his own forwards that get in the way!!

I think that he still has a lot to offer and not the least in leadership.

we were all saying how he could play on for a couple of mor eyears with a good start to the season!!

I am a big fan of Neita, but at the end of the year he must say goodbye, but only if we have someone to take over the captancy. Who would that be???

The reason i think this is because our great players are starting to get older, and the kids are starting to shine, they need more game time, responsibility and pressure put on them to get them used to playing full time at AFL level.

Yes Neitz is a hero to our club and Loved by the majority of MFC supporters, nothing like being at the game and seeing Neita take a grab and boot a goal, but the thing is he is not going to be around forever and we must face that and start playing likely replacements and fast. If we have any hope of doing better next year we must get youth to step up and take the lead.

No matter how we look at it, next year we will NOT win the p/ship, new coach, older players and a horrible 2007 season are not going to help our cause. We need to start re-building, not sell off our picks and do some trading if we have any hope of winning a p/ship in the next 5 years.

I know it's negative towards the club but it's my opinion of the cold hard truth.

I never thought I would hear the most loyal man and loved man in the Melbourne footy club be so put down by the people he has worked and worke for years to please.

I just cannot believe it. He's unfit, they want the 300th against Collingwood, its our home game, maybe people will show up and for once we will see some profit.

He is Melbournes heart and soul, has been for years, to see people turn on him just shocks me to the core.

I just cannot believe it. He's unfit, they want the 300th against Collingwood, its our home game, maybe people will show up and for once we will see some profit.

Actually it is Collingwood's home game - let's boycott it - we don't want them getting the $$$$. We had the home game for Lizzie's Birthday.

I thought David Neitz announced a few weeks ago that he was keen to play on next year and had signed on for another year - did I make that up?

I also think some of you guys need to show him more respect - he is clearly injured and it is a testament to his great character that he is out there trying to lead our team when it most needs a leader - I agree that players shouldn't play if they are not right but it isn't like we have a stack of options is it?

On the issue of captain - I really don't want Brock to get it next year. I know you will all shoot me down in flames but if you cast your minds back to when Brock was captain this year - it is a lot of added pressure for a guy who is so young. He is also battling to regain form after his foot injury at the start of the year and learning how to play with the oppositions number one tagger hot on his heels. I honestly hope and believe he will be captain one day but I would really like him to get his confidence back and play like the legend we know he will become.

On the issue of captain - I really don't want Brock to get it next year. I know you will all shoot me down in flames but if you cast your minds back to when Brock was captain this year - it is a lot of added pressure for a guy who is so young.

I agree,

But if he shouldn't be captain now, who do you think should get it?

I agree,

But if he shouldn't be captain now, who do you think should get it?

I knew someone would ask me that - God, does anyone deserve it? James MacDonald? Not happy with the inconsistent games of the likes of Cameron Bruce, Brad Green. Anyone else got a suggestion.

Oh, how about co-captains - Daniel Ward/Nathan Brown......or we could do what they do in my sons Under 9 team - every player gets a turn. They have two captains a week starting at numbers 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, 5 and 6 etc until they have all had a turn and then it starts again!

geez guys i can't believe the talk on here i've been an avid dees supporter over the last 10 years and throughout that whole time its been a privalege to see someone like neita fly the flag every weekend and constantly put his body on the line. I think that through our lack of success we've relished watching neitz put on a show week after week and that st kilda game last year 8 goals really showed us what he is capable of. Now that he's suffering hamy/knee/finger problems and can't do what he used to I think we find ourselves expecting more of the same 8 goal efforts and we're disappointed when they don't come. I think its our unrealestic expectations of a 32 year old hero that need to be corrected. He can't kick a bag every week anymore - look at fraser gehrig on friday - one mark his only stat yet i'll bet st kilda supporters aren't overreacting about it. Now neitz is injured and older and still performed better than that. and our midfield leaves a fair bit more to be desired meaning neita's supply of the footy is no where near as good. Cut him some slack and support our captain!! We need to be constructive at a time like this.

geez guys i can't believe the talk on here i've been an avid dees supporter over the last 10 years and throughout that whole time its been a privalege to see someone like neita fly the flag every weekend and constantly put his body on the line. I think that through our lack of success we've relished watching neitz put on a show week after week and that st kilda game last year 8 goals really showed us what he is capable of. Now that he's suffering hamy/knee/finger problems and can't do what he used to I think we find ourselves expecting more of the same 8 goal efforts and we're disappointed when they don't come. I think its our unrealestic expectations of a 32 year old hero that need to be corrected. He can't kick a bag every week anymore - look at fraser gehrig on friday - one mark his only stat yet i'll bet st kilda supporters aren't overreacting about it. Now neitz is injured and older and still performed better than that. and our midfield leaves a fair bit more to be desired meaning neita's supply of the footy is no where near as good. Cut him some slack and support our captain!! We need to be constructive at a time like this.

here here

Perfect response maccaz69 - well said. David Neitz is and always will be an absolute legend. He holds just about every record at our club and people who bag his should be ashamed of themselves.

G'day Fellow Demons Supporters!

David Neitz is a CHAMPION of the Melbourne Football Club! He DESERVES to play 300 games!

Anybody who doesn't agree can get stuffed! :angry:

david_nei_narrowweb__200x342.jpg

Hang on for a few more seasons Neita! ;) We haven't got anybody else to replace you! :wacko:

GO DEMONS IN 2008?

From Supreme_Demon

It's not the point of bagging him but looking at the big picture and choosing whats best for the club. It's not all abour Neitz. Yes he should play his 300 this year, yes he is and always will be a legend at our club, but atm is he holding us back? We played some of our best footy without him this year, mainly because the other players don't have him there to rely on.

well i dont think its best for our club not to have neitz there. If you look at the first half of the season every game that neitz played (except eagles) we were competitive and nearly won. The games he missed we got done by 10 goals. When danners left everything went to crap...I don't think you can point the finger at any of the forwards in the current team they rely on the midfield which is struggling. And the forward line structure is just not there they need garry lyon back as forward coach. Neitz has kicked at least a goal in every game i can remember and thats commendable considering the injuries he's playing with and the crappy supply of the ball. He looked really fit and rareing to go at the start of the season before all these injuries and can't help think that our 300 game captain deserves another pre season and another chance to lead our team for our 150th year!

It's not the point of bagging him but looking at the big picture and choosing whats best for the club. It's not all abour Neitz. Yes he should play his 300 this year, yes he is and always will be a legend at our club, but atm is he holding us back? We played some of our best footy without him this year, mainly because the other players don't have him there to rely on.

We also lost 9 games in a row this year. This year doesn't mean a whole lot. The one thing I take from this year was watching Neita on practically one leg trying his heart out to play in Danihers last game. He is a hero and should be applauded. He does not hold us back, he shows the whole club what true leadership, loyalty and passion is all about. He has the Demon spirit. One of very few.