Heritage Round - count me out

alpha33

I'm boycotting this week's Heritage Round.

Last year, when we played against Fremantle in the 2006 Heritage Round, the Demons wore the old royal blue jumper that was worn in the 70's when we developed a heritage of rank failure. We lost to the Dockers and ended up tumbling out of the top four.

The feeling among most Melbourne supporters was that this jumper was not to be worn ever again.

Did the MFC Board listen to its membership?

Not on your Nellie!

According to afl.com.au this is what Melbourne will be wearing on Sunday -

"Melbourne

The guernsey design is the same but features royal blue."

No bloody originality and no brains. What an absolute disgrace!

Besides, for once, losing might not be such a bad thing.... it'll sure [censored] Carlton off! ;)

I'm really struggling with this concept.

I'm over losing. I'm over being the laughing stock of the AFL. I just want to enjoy a relaxing Sunday Night with the knowlege that we've got the 4 points.

I know everyone wants the much vaunted number 1 pick, but who's to say the number 1 pick will be the best (Kruzer).

EG - Selwood (6?) looks more impressive than Gibbs (1)

Dale Thomas (2) has as much tools to work with as Marc Murphy (1)

I'm over losing. I'm over being the laughing stock of the AFL. I just want to enjoy a relaxing Sunday Night with the knowlege that we've got the 4 points.

I know everyone wants the much vaunted number 1 pick, but who's to say the number 1 pick will be the best (Kruzer).

I watched Kruzer's game against West Australia and i wasn't overly impressed. He worked hard in a team that was comprehensively beaten and did remind me a lot of Josh Fraser who went number 1 in 99. We do need a top class Ruckman but is it worth a number 1 pick? Im really keen to see him play again this week to see what he can do.

I think Buddy Franklin got two kicks in an under 18 championship game so one can’t be judged on one average performance.

i'm not much of an observer of the up-and-coming, but what interests me about the kruzer situation is that he is such a highly sought after ruckman at such a young age. generally those types of players mature later and that is, i think, where you really find out how good they are. for this reason, i'd agree with you tess in asking whether it is worth taking him at number one as there is no guarantee he wil continue to develop, whereas we can mould another youngster into a talented ruckman (which we are good at, simmonds, jolly even johnson now), and we could use a high pick to provide us with another quality ball-using midfielder, as bruce, green and tj are beginning to see the ugly side of late 20's.

i'm not much of an observer of the up-and-coming, but what interests me about the kruzer situation is that he is such a highly sought after ruckman at such a young age. generally those types of players mature later and that is, i think, where you really find out how good they are. for this reason, i'd agree with you tess in asking whether it is worth taking him at number one as there is no guarantee he wil continue to develop, whereas we can mould another youngster into a talented ruckman (which we are good at, simmonds, jolly even johnson now), and we could use a high pick to provide us with another quality ball-using midfielder, as bruce, green and tj are beginning to see the ugly side of late 20's.

Spot on! Cox is probably the best ruckman in the comp and was nearly an afterthought as a rookie pick. Jolly and Simmonds - both rookies. All better ruckman than Fraser who went number 1.

Also re the heritage jumper, don't forget Rob Flower played most of his career in that guernsey!

I can understand your stance with that and have no problem with it.

I however have the view, if we win, great. If we lose, I'm not gonna burn up like i have in previous years where losing matters.

Pick 1-3 is the same to me but having a extra pick in 18 should go someways towards compensating for a pathetic season.

I haven't seen Kruzer but if his liken to Fraser. (No thanks).

We need a replacement for Neitz. and a replacement for white.

So pretty much we need a

FF, CHF, RUCK, CHB, FB.

Yeah we should totally pass on the ready made KPP and get another midfielder. <_<

Much of the interest in players like Kruzer I feel can be traced to the absolute dearth of Ruckmen in th eAFL stocks. i.e theres more than one club lookig to top up or indeed fill this position. So as a result anyone looking halfway likely is in demand.

I however have the view, if we win, great. If we lose, I'm not gonna burn up like i have in previous years where losing matters.

Pick 1-3 is the same to me but having a extra pick in 18 should go someways towards compensating for a pathetic season.

Even if we win this weekend, I'm fairly confident Melbourne will still qualify for that priority pick 18/19 - as I don't believe we'll win more than 4 games. Infact apart from Carlton in round 22, I don't think there is a team possible to beat. Maybe the Lions but thats in QLD.

My point is that every player, coaching staff, member and supporter deserves a little bit of happiness (ie -win) after two absolutley shattering weeks. Just one little win to keep us up for a little while.

A loss this week would burn me up as it may be the last opportunity to sing the song this year.

However the more I think about it, the more I think we don't have much of a chance this week without TJ, Neitz, Bell and Green out.

Plus dont forget the 70s were the era of strange and weird colours.

What every one will be wearing this weekend........

What every one will be wearing this weekend........

I'm sure Freo just pick a random guernsey every year.

A bit rich West Coast wearing an old WA jumper too - maybe Melbourne should wear the Big V next year. Capital of Victoria is as good a claim as any.

Rant over. Just frustrated to see MFC wearing a guernsey with very few good memories. As R Flower only played finals in the navy one, I doubt he likes the Royal Blue either.

i love this 'heritage round' if only for the fact that it points out why we suddenly have jumper clashes. PA's proper jumper doesnt clash with collingwood. Perhaps north and collingwood clash a little, but other than that no one should have any problems at all. if the bulldogs, nth, stkilda, all kept their jumpers original, and freo and west coast returned to their original jumpers (and if you think the jumpers have stayed the same: http://www.footyjumpers.com/), if freos jumper doesnt look more blue than purple every year i'll go he).

there wasnt a problem with clashes until teams started making changes.

Well well, a so called Demons "supporter" finding an excuse not to attend a game, what a suprise!

You're probably not aware of this but sometimes people do things on principle. I'm protesting against the club's decision to allow its players to wear a uniform that was representative of its failure over a long period of time. It's not an "excuse" but it is the reason why I won't be attending.

You're probably not aware of this but sometimes people do things on principle. I'm protesting against the club's decision to allow its players to wear a uniform that was representative of its failure over a long period of time. It's not an "excuse" but it is the reason why I won't be attending.

I share your grief Alpha..but the real reason we failed as a club then had nothing to do with the jumper mate; moreso how the club was managed & those who were wearing it. If I could be there I would. Let go.

Also re the heritage jumper, don't forget Rob Flower played most of his career in that guernsey!

and didnt play in a successfull team until the jumper was changed.

maybe it is a good thing they are wearing it this weekend - this year's team has earnt the right to that jumper.

suggestion for next year's jumper - white, from when we were the invincible whites (just a little before most of our birthdates).

and didnt play in a successfull team until the jumper was changed.

maybe it is a good thing they are wearing it this weekend - this year's team has earnt the right to that jumper.

suggestion for next year's jumper - white, from when we were the invincible whites (just a little before most of our birthdates).

It's a jumper and it's part of our heritage, like it or not. My first Demon jumper, which I got when I was 10 years old in 1979 was the royal blue version. We were shithouse but I still have fond memories of it.

It's a jumper and it's part of our heritage, like it or not. My first Demon jumper, which I got when I was 10 years old in 1979 was the royal blue version. We were shithouse but I still have fond memories of it.

Great memories too WD. Got given my 1st ever Demons my jumper (long sleeves) from my dad who recieved it from the club in '1980. Had the original players VFL logo with the Mayne Nickless sponsors logo and the number '2' (& signed) on the back just to ice it all off. The logos were almost larger than the jumper! And it was the royal blue. I also recieved a letter from the club and all the sigs from the players and a comment of gratitude for my support from one 'big Carl' & Dick Seddon.

It was one of my proudest moments.

Despite the clubs poor form, I never copped S#!t from my mates at school because I was the only one who had an authentic VFL players jumper. They looked on in awe. Some of them even asked me if they could wear it at lunchtime or borrow it for the weekend! I wore it with pride. I Still have it. I still go to as many games as I possibly can. and I am still loyal! That colour is part of our heritage.

Suit yourself Alpha. And close the bedroom door behind you!

For me its not about the jumper or any crap like that. For me, and for every true & loyal supporter, its all about the club.

The Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and St Kilda dont much different to todays versions :blink:

I actually dont mind the royal blue and red-- as many have said it is part of our heritage as part of the Melbourne Demons

Great memories too WD. Got given my 1st ever Demons my jumper (long sleeves) from my dad who recieved it from the club in '1980. Had the original players VFL logo with the Mayne Nickless sponsors logo and the number '2' (& signed) on the back just to ice it all off. The logos were almost larger than the jumper! And it was the royal blue. I also recieved a letter from the club and all the sigs from the players and a comment of gratitude for my support from one 'big Carl' & Dick Seddon.

It was one of my proudest moments.

Despite the clubs poor form, I never copped S#!t from my mates at school because I was the only one who had an authentic VFL players jumper. They looked on in awe. Some of them even asked me if they could wear it at lunchtime or borrow it for the weekend! I wore it with pride. I Still have it. I still go to as many games as I possibly can. and I am still loyal! That colour is part of our heritage.

Suit yourself Alpha. And close the bedroom door behind you!

For me its not about the jumper or any crap like that. For me, and for every true & loyal supporter, its all about the club.

They were beautiful things, weren't they! My great regret is buckling to peer group pressure and cutting the sleeves off mine so I could wear it to footy training - Gembrook under 11's! I wish I'd left it as it was.

I'm boycotting this week's Heritage Round.

Last year, when we played against Fremantle in the 2006 Heritage Round, the Demons wore the old royal blue jumper that was worn in the 70's when we developed a heritage of rank failure. We lost to the Dockers and ended up tumbling out of the top four.

Given that the theme is the 70s, what else are they meant to wear?