NEALE DANIHER - TO FINISH AT END OF THE YEAR

beelzebub

yes...thats the next interesting aspect isnt it... If there was any complacency then the players with any nouse wll know its all about to change.

And on that note does this now also make sense for possibly Neeta to hand over to ..Brocky ( or whomever )

That's a question for season's end, not now. The new coach will have a say in that.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all you've done for the club across the years Neale.

You have been a great advocate for the club, and very popular amongst the entire football world.

You've done the right thing by everyone concerned and, as many posters have already said, I hope the players can give you the send-off you deserve, particularly this Friday.

**Does anyone know if there are any more after-match functions left this season?

As an aside.. and posssibly its for a new thread...

We as a club are verging on a new era. I truly sense it. New 'thinking' new premises.. etc. and next year ..a New Coach. Some of the older guard of players are going ( or will ) ..

Change is upon us !!

Do we take a somehwat maverick step and possibly solve one of the problems in modern day coachiing. We all acknowledge ND was good with his men. He had a good raport etc. But tactically ...well things werent successful.

Do we create a new attack on this and separate the roles. Have a Manager who looks after the bigger picture. The bringing on , development etc .. all currently within the scope of AFL coach. But the role of tactician, and game coach is another person ?

CArlton sort of trialed this but possibly had the wrong mix of personel.

The game has moved on..is it time to address the role of coach as well ??

This is indeed a sad, yet inevitable day for the club. I’m sure I’m not alone in wishing Neale all the best in his future role, whatever that may be.

You’d go a long way to find a more honest, humble, down to earth bloke. Yes, he’s had his highs and lows as our coach for the last ten years, but

always has he had the best interest of this, our great footy club, in the foremost of his thoughts. His passion for the game and the players he had

around him was contagious, and I think he’s done the right and honorable thing by the club in declaring his intentions early. Good luck Reverend,

thanks for the memories, may you forever remain ‘Cherry Ripe’..

I feel a little sad and empty to be honest. You kind of get used to things being the way they are.

Best of luck Neale and thank you for doing the honourable thing. It can show once and for all that you've always put the club ahead of yourself and that's something I admire very much.

I think this is definitely the right thing for the club but for me it isn't the relief I thought it would be.

I feel a little sad and empty to be honest. You kind of get used to things being the way they are.

Best of luck Neale and thank you for doing the honourable thing. It can show once and for all that you've always put the club ahead of yourself and that's something I admire very much.

I think this is definitely the right thing for the club but for me it isn't the relief I thought it would be.

Its a weird feeling isn't it Nasher?

There's definitely not a great overwhelming joy, just a resignation of the reality of the situation.

I think that feeling comes from the fact that despite all our whinging about Neale's coaching competency, most, if not all, of us liked him as a person, and realise that he has been good for the club in the face of some tough times, he has worked his tail off as our coach for a long period of time and done his utmost to sell the MFC brand, therefore trying to do the best he could both on and off the field for our beloved Demons, just to unforunately come up a bit short.

Rhino..its been quite weird really...as I dont think anyone ( well with a modicum of civility and intelligence ) actually hates the bloke. That in itself has always been the dillema and a cause for much appraisal being probably not as realistic and concise as it might have been.

He's a nice bloke... probably over 90% here would concur.

I ts , to me his coachng style and results that are the question.

Yep

Whilst the chorus calling for ND's time to end at MFC has indeed been present for a long time and has recently reached a crescendo, similar to the "Miller-bashing" that went on around here the opinions expressed are (in the most part) purely with regard to football and not personal attacks. People who get caught up in the sentimentality of it all need to get some perspective; these people are paid to perform in a public arena. When the stakeholders feel that they are failing their duties, they call for change. They might demand that a club employee be dropped/traded/sacked, but I have never on this board seen anyone call for or suggest personal or physical harm.

I think that ND has been great for the club, but I have also been against him as a coach for a number of years. As I have stated many times, I think he would be wonderful in a Football Operations role, but would prefer him not to be coach of the club. This is not to say that I wish any ill fortune on him or begrudge him his time at the MFC.

This is easily the best coaching decision Daniher has ever made.

I wish him all the best for the future.

Great bloke, great "face" of the MFC.

Lousy coach.

EDIT: I've never questioned his passion, his determination and love of the MFC. I have however always questioned his ability to coach and that above all else is what matters.

This is the beginning of a new era for the MFC.

GO DEES

Neale Daniher has just quit as Melbourne coach.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=59414

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...025-661,00.html

P.S Neale, thanks for all your hard work. You have been terrific. Good luck mate.

This is easily the best coaching decision Daniher has ever made.

I wish him all the best for the future.

Great bloke, great "face" of the MFC.

Lousy coach.

We got what we want, no need to keep kicking him. (not that i disagree with u but the bloke has just lost his job)

Good luck for the future.

I feel for the bloke. He gave everything he could to the club and in the end it just didn't work out. I'll never forget how he put himself on the line to pump up our club in 2003, when he took the bull by the horns and turned our club around. He bled Melbourne and I think all supporters respected him for that. It's a shame that he just couldn't turn it in to on field success, although he is not entirely to blame.

Thankyou and good luck Neale in whatever you do in the future.

Neale Daniher has just quit as Melbourne coach.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=59414

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...025-661,00.html

P.S Neale, thanks for all your hard work. You have been terrific. Good luck mate.

if only the players had shown the same amount of passion as ND. Thanks Neale, time to move on and get Voss.

The players were playing for a friend and not a coach in the end..... Sad end for a top bloke!

and i think that in the end was the problem..

good luck ND..i don't think anyoe could hate the guy he was too ncie..btu the time had come...

EDIT: I've never questioned his passion, his determination and love of the MFC. I have however always questioned his ability to coach and that above all else is what matters.

Clint, just show some respect. The 'I told you so' is totally unneccessary. You don't coach an AFL team for 10 years if you are lousy at it.

What I'm saying is that Neale did / does have a lot of positives.

However, he couldn't / can't coach very well and that's what really matters.

....just curious CB, in the Demonland Poll, did you select the <20 years old category?

Stop hijacking a tribute to a great MFC coach with your sideways opinion.

Good luck Danners. Right decision. Sad day.

I wonder if this will tame the effigy burning of him on this site.

You'd hope so.

Well done Neale. Even through the down moments I've enjoyed having you at my club.

You were always red & blue and we will be worse off without your influence.

I'll remember MANY games you coached very fondly, and you have been running the list at my club for my entire adult life.

I wholeheartedly wish you all the best at your next club, and if you read this, you whould know that through your efforts at MFC you've earned another go at coaching at another club, and if it's someone like Essendon who have a budget, you're highly likely to see some chances at the premiership you so richly deserve.

Thankyou and all the best.

On a personal note I have two things I'm worried about now.

1 - When he goes to another club, maybe Essendon, he'll be a 10 year coach having done it tough raising a basket-case back to premiership contender. If he goes to an established club, he's going to be a BIG threat to us.

2 - Our list. Will Neitz keep going? Will he be captain? Will Trav, Green, Bruce etc etc keep their spots? Will Byron and Ooze stay on? Even guys who were montys to be kept are under threat, like Robbo and Davey. Suddenly nothing is certain.

Dappa - you make some good points, but do you really think guys like Davey and Robbo will be under threat? There are many questions to be asked and a new coach will bring new ideas, but I'm pretty sure that those guys are safe, Davey especially.

I still think Neitz will go on, although guys like Yze, Green, Bruce etc should all be looking over their shoulders.

Thanks for the effort and passion you gave the club.

Like a Godfrey you bled for the club and did everything you could, but your time was up, you were honest with yourself as you have been your whole career and stepped down with aplomb.

Good luck with your future (and if thats coaching that doesn't extend to when you coach against us :) )

I am in shock, as I certainly didn't expect it to happen so quick.

I heard nothing all day as I was at work, but I am not at all surprised that Daniher did the dignified and honorable thing.

This is truly the end of an era, and everyone should feel a touch of sadness that someone who has given their all for 10 years is leaving.

I would like to thank him, as despite everything, he has done his absolute best for this club, and right till the end has put this club first.

His time has most certainly come and I'm thrilled that the club will part ways on good terms.

This has been one horrible season, but 2008 begins today as far as I'm concerned.