Snow Bunny Supporters

For many Melbourne supporters, the Queens Birthday long weekend means making a difficult decision.

Do they go and watch the Dees take on the Pies at the MCG, or do they head for the hills to get their first taste of snow for the year?

Well thats what you would think if you took any notice of opposition supporters and some football personalities in the media.

However, seeing as the Queens Birthday has just recently come and gone for another year and with Melbourne having a break this weekend, I thought that I should take this opportunity to dispel the "Snow Bunny Melbourne Supporter" stereotype once and for all!

Well not quite, but I do want to share a few observations that I made whilst working up at Mt Buller last year.

Before anyone says anything, the "Snow Bunny Melbourne Supporter" stereotype says nothing about working at the snow.

If you were to believe the stereotype, then you would imagine the ski fields being filled with nothing but rich snobs who drive four wheel drive BMW's and "support" the Melbourne Football Club. And while the snow does have its fair share of rich wankers, they are not all Melbourne supporters.

In fact, I did not see a single piece of Melbourne Football Club merchandise for the whole time I was up there!

If you were then to use this football merchandise observation as a way of finding out which AFL team's supporters spend the most time at the snow then you would have to say that the "Snow Bunny Supporter" tag belongs with Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporters.

There is however, a good reason for this. For many Western and South Australians, the need for warm clothing is almost nonexistent, hence why they pull out the footy scarves and beanies when at the snow.

Nonetheless, it was something that really stood out to me and I thought that I would just do my bit to try and clear up the "myth" about those of us who support the Melbourne Demons.

GO DEES

Couldnt give a stuff what all the others think...I actually do ski !! ( have done since 13).. does that make me stereotypical ?? lol

Dont have a Tractor though !! ( I wish ) ...I have got some suitbaly red and blue beanies !! :-)))

Yeah, I went to the snow once and didn't see any Melbourne supporters either.

Mind you, I got lost in a blizzard and sprained my ankle, and thereafter decided that skiing is yet another activity which involves high levels of coordination which I just cannot participate in.

Give me the MCG over ridiculously low temperatures and vigorous physical activity anyday ;)

Stuff the stereotype.

This tripe about snow bunnies started with Barry Humpries way back in the 60's on one of his early (best-selling) records, for those who remember vinyl. About going to the snow etc. I always thought it was more about Geelong Grammar (Sam Newman springs to mind...his almer mater), although Barry did attend Melbourne Grammar and was poking fun at some of his classmates. But by no means all.

Nevertheless this populist mud has stuck and we've had to live with it as the MFC ever since. The so-called alliance with the MCC hasn't helped this perception either.

In the old days the opposition supporters would sit in the 'Outer' and look across to the Grey Smith stand and the Members and the Ladies stand and give us kids heaps. We were sitting in the 'Inner'.

And fair enough. We had the privileged seats and looked high and mighty. The irony was that many of us got a free ticket in as juniors and supported the Dees regardless of where we sat. In '64 I stood in Bay 13. It didn't matter to me where I was in the ground as long as I was there.

The salient point is that since then we've developed (and always had) a much broader supporter base than the popular perception of toffee-nosed skiers.

And while the snow does have its fair share of rich wankers, they are not all Melbourne supporters.

I would just do my bit to try and clear up the "myth" about those of us who support the Melbourne Demons.

GO DEES

Good to see you're your slaying the myths here Clint. As you more than likely aware, its an old myth and not one really worth paying attention to. This kind of bull never happened in the '50 & 60's. Go figure. I believe it snowed a bit then too.

BTW, and this is really serving my curiosity at best........why do you suggest the rich are wankers?

Good to see you're your slaying the myths here Clint. As you more than likely aware, its an old myth and not one really worth paying attention to. This kind of bull never happened in the '50 & 60's. Go figure. I believe it snowed a bit then too.

BTW, and this is really serving my curiosity at best........why do you suggest the rich are wankers?

I've been to the snow once in my life and that was in 1964 and it was a one day bus excusrion. I hated it.

However, if you can guarantee me a flag again by going there, I'll be up at Mount Donna Buang quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.

There are the rich, there are wankers and then there are rich wankers.

I'm not saying that all rich people are wankers.

I know that the stereotype isn't true for most MFC supporters, this whole thread was created light-heartedly. I just found it funny that there were so many Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporters at the snow.

I've been to the snow once in my life and that was in 1964 and it was a one day bus excusrion. I hated it.

However, if you can guarantee me a flag again by going there, I'll be up at Mount Donna Buang quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.

Well you have a 100% record whenever you go to the snow. How come you've been jinxing us for the past 43 years?

There are the rich, there are wankers and then there are rich wankers.

I'm not saying that all rich people are wankers.

I know that the stereotype isn't true for most MFC supporters, this whole thread was created light-heartedly. I just found it funny that there were so many Fremantle, West Coast, Adelaide and Port Adelaide supporters at the snow.

Port Adelaide supporters?? :blink:

If I were going to boycott going to the footy it wouldn't be to go to the snow. It would be to go somewhere warm. I hate cold.

Yeah same, go to north qld or overseas such as the pacific islands

it's not even a stereotype, it's a pathetic jolt at the club not based on fact, upheld by people who know nothing about the game and cannot conjure up descriptions of their own.

i used to go to the snow once a year when i was young, i went bigfooting, it was fun, i also don't miss our games at the g, but i suppose none of this means anything to the saviour to all the is football, BT.

Stuff the stereotype.

This tripe about snow bunnies started with Barry Humpries way back in the 60's on one of his early (best-selling) records, for those who remember vinyl. About going to the snow etc. I always thought it was more about Geelong Grammar (Sam Newman springs to mind...his almer mater), although Barry did attend Melbourne Grammar and was poking fun at some of his classmates. But by no means all.

snow complications

Your going up there again next year

you got me? :lol:

Brilliant pick up Champ!.

Its was done in 1962 by Barry Humphries and it is as sharp now as it has been for 40 years.

The endearing line is:

"...believe you me it's a great life up there amongst the snow community and you can really have a ball, no matter which of the major schools you went to.."

Absolute Gold.

Port Adelaide supporters?? :blink:

Prima facie case of car theft and house burglary if Port supporters are there. ;)

Its was done in 1962 by Barry Humphries and it is as sharp now as it has been for 40 years.

The endearing line is:

"...believe you me it's a great life up there amongst the snow community and you can really have a ball, no matter which of the major schools you went to.."

More to my own taste would be to join "Squeaky" Hudson and "Paddles" Hackett in the drinking truck, thrash it up the coast to ride a few planks and have a quiet chunder in the old Pacific. I do however admit to once spending a week at Hotham. Seemed much longer.