Clayton Oliver

Demonland

41 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Sorry but I find your post horribly disrespectful and totally unwarranted. Daz was simply passing on information he had heard - which we all encourage. You may not like the info presented, but there is no cause to be so angry and disrespectful. 

I am angry! I'm angry at the ongoing regurgitation of the perceived sequence of events under the 'truth' banner. It is destabilising. It becomes fodder for those who can benefit from bringing the club to its knees. The fact that the parents of an AFL player can be 'disgruntled' over a clubs handling of a situation is hardly groundbreaking news. At any point in time a number of parents at each and every club will be disgruntled! Most parents have been disgruntled at some stage over the manner in which their child's school has handled some issue. That doesn't mean that they immediately rip the kid out of the environment and enrol the kid in another school. Outcomes are negotiated. This situation at MFC has been negotiated! I prefer to have faith in those at the club who have participated, rather than join a lynch-mob. I apologise for any disrespect I have shown, but I don't apologise for being angry!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol.. he's not going to publicity come out express a desire that he wanted to leave. 

He played a straight bat and exactly the answer you'd expect from someone that either had every intention of wanting to leave or was at least putting some serious consideration into it.

Was speaking with an ex colleague last Thursday who worked with the Murray Bushrangers and is from Shepparton way. He knows his Dad Steve very well.

His old man confirmed to him that Oliver and his family desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand, Geelong could not cater to our needs. The asking price was too much for Geelong.

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded. Similar to the Petracca situation, there is some serious amending of the bridges that will need occur over the off season.

You can spin whatever narrative you want about the media, but Oliver absolutely wanted to leave Melbourne. 

Every one can put their own spin on any issue Dazzle, as I have said ad- nausea’s I don’t readily believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. I bet if Goody rang Steve he would get a different story and I bet Steve’s sister would have a different version of the truth. Fact is - Geelong had no currency to bring in Smith & Oliver at the same time, so they were just muddying up the water, or putting the boots in, there is little love lost between the two teams. I expect that Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca will return to the fold healthy and energised and that both players will contribute significantly to our rise up the ladder.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol.. he's not going to publicity come out express a desire that he wanted to leave. 

He played a straight bat and exactly the answer you'd expect from someone that either had every intention of wanting to leave or was at least putting some serious consideration into it.

Was speaking with an ex colleague last Thursday who worked with the Murray Bushrangers and is from Shepparton way. He knows his Dad Steve very well.

His old man confirmed to him that Oliver and his family desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand, Geelong could not cater to our needs. The asking price was too much for Geelong.

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded. Similar to the Petracca situation, there is some serious amending of the bridges that will need occur over the off season.

You can spin whatever narrative you want about the media, but Oliver absolutely wanted to leave Melbourne. 

Thanks for the info

Genuine question - Did the family say anything about the last 2-3 years that lead to this situation or more being disappointed at the Demons trying to shop him around?

ie do they feel he owes the club. or are his trouble behind him. etc

Also any reason why he specifically wanted to get to the Cats. or were they the only ones interested?

anyway just interested in more info if you have it

Cheers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

I am angry! I'm angry at the ongoing regurgitation of the perceived sequence of events under the 'truth' banner. It is destabilising. It becomes fodder for those who can benefit from bringing the club to its knees. The fact that the parents of an AFL player can be 'disgruntled' over a clubs handling of a situation is hardly groundbreaking news. At any point in time a number of parents at each and every club will be disgruntled! Most parents have been disgruntled at some stage over the manner in which their child's school has handled some issue. That doesn't mean that they immediately rip the kid out of the environment and enrol the kid in another school. Outcomes are negotiated. This situation at MFC has been negotiated! I prefer to have faith in those at the club who have participated, rather than join a lynch-mob. I apologise for any disrespect I have shown, but I don't apologise for being angry!

Relax, it's just football, it's nothing important 

• Thinking 2

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

Every one can put their own spin on any issue Dazzle, as I have said ad- nausea’s I don’t readily believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. I bet if Goody rang Steve he would get a different story and I bet Steve’s sister would have a different version of the truth. Fact is - Geelong had no currency to bring in Smith & Oliver at the same time, so they were just muddying up the water, or putting the boots in, there is little love lost between the two teams. I expect that Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca will return to the fold healthy and energised and that both players will contribute significantly to our rise up the ladder.

Why would his father spin it different if Simon rang him?

He's as honest as they come as is mother Michelle. They tell you how it is.

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Thanks for the info

Genuine question - Did the family say anything about the last 2-3 years that lead to this situation or more being disappointed at the Demons trying to shop him around?

ie do they feel he owes the club. or are his trouble behind him. etc

Also any reason why he specifically wanted to get to the Cats. or were they the only ones interested?

anyway just interested in more info if you have it

Cheers

The family felt the club treated Oliver during last year's saga with absolute care and professionalism. They were proud of the club in the way they wrapped support around because he simply went of the rails and even to the point where they both had to drive down and spend a few a few days with him as they were genuinely concerned for his welfare.

This year, not so much. The whole Gary Pert situation completely blindsided them. Even in his exit meeting there was no discussion of a trade, it was all about getting his body right, completing his off season program with the goal of being fit ready to go come day one of pre season.

I know one part of the reason to get to Geelong was pure lifestyle and needing to escape the bright lights or Melbourne. At the end of the day he's the boy from the country who still has incredible strong ties to his country roots. He's desperate to stay out of media headlines.

The other part was obviously Geelongs leadership success and strong on field culture. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

This is your worst effort for some time! You always seem to have ex colleagues and someone, twice removed, who heard something from a reputable source! Oh, yeah! Our 'high demand' was directly related to the lengthy contract Ollie signed, yet you 'spin' it to sound as if the figure was something unreasonable that the Club hastily thought up on the run. Ollie is obviously now very much gruntled with how it sits. You, however, continue to beat a dead horse in your pathetic attempts to stay relevant!

Take your medication and go have a laid down old fella.

• Haha 3
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded

Not sure what is more gobsmacking; that there is in fact an Oliver ‘family/camp’ or the fact they are angry at the club.

He/they should be writing an apology to the club and its fans on a daily basis for the [censored] he put us through 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The back page of today's The Age (a tabloid rag), on the sports page, has more of Clarrie than the Caulfield Cup and The Everest results combined.

How pathetically poor is their journalism. A fully resolved player situation is more important than the results of two significant horse races especially where the same trainer trained the winner of both events.

Says more about the tabloid trash than about MFC and Clarrie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

three maxims to live life by...

1) [redacted] football; it's a [redacted] sport and i hate it
ii) oh well, it's only footy
c) there's always next week / year

My approach is:-     
When we are doing well- ‘it’s more than a game’     
When we are not doing well - ‘it’s just a game’   

Go Dees!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Move on from what? I still haven't gotten over Jimmy running through the mark. And don't even start me on round 22, 1976.

About time someone brought up round 22 1976 again! lol

You know what they say “fools forgive and forget,  whereas the wise forgive but never forget” 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Every one can put their own spin on any issue Dazzle, as I have said ad- nausea’s I don’t readily believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. I bet if Goody rang Steve he would get a different story and I bet Steve’s sister would have a different version of the truth. Fact is - Geelong had no currency to bring in Smith & Oliver at the same time, so they were just muddying up the water, or putting the boots in, there is little love lost between the two teams. I expect that Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca will return to the fold healthy and energised and that both players will contribute significantly to our rise up the 

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take your medication and go have a laid down old fella.

I always find it amusing that when you’re called out for basically posting rubbish.,you resort to nasty “toxic” comments 😔

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tiers said:

The back page of today's The Age (a tabloid rag), on the sports page, has more of Clarrie than the Caulfield Cup and The Everest results combined.

How pathetically poor is their journalism. A fully resolved player situation is more important than the results of two significant horse races especially where the same trainer trained the winner of both events.

More like how far has the Caulfield Cup fallen 😢 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The utter stupidity of floating him for trade this year beggars belief really. I kind of hope it was a bit of a lone wolf action because we can weed that wolf out. We talked up how happy we were with his efforts during this season, so to turn around and look for offers is just poor form. That's not even considering the fact that we were never any chance of getting fair value in a trade anyway. Just dumb.

Having said that, regardless of what muppetry is going on in the MFC admin, my view is that the position we currently find ourselves in is on the players. And it is very much on the top end talent, including Oliver and others who are getting paid a good amount of money.

Had we stood up under pressure on the field over the last few years, I'm sure there would be less unrest and we'd still be an attractive destination for prospective players. If some of what we hear is true, then in some quarters we've been afforded some deplorable levels of dedication in terms of leaving no stone un turned to be in peak shape to perform on game day. And in other quarters we've had high paid and highly rated players who've done a lot of finger pointing without really looking like they're prepared to put the team on their back and take us to the next level.

Although I really dislike him, I thought Sam Mitchell had some great words after their finals exit this year. When asked about his message to the players, he said something like: 'This is your club now. The coaches and the admin will be here to guide you and help you as needed, but it's your club and it's up to you to take this thing where you want it to go'. I thought they were brilliant words and I wondered whether we've taken the approach at Melbourne? Maybe we did and the players weren't quite good enough or we didn't have the right characters who could ensure we went about it the right way and eeked everything possible out of the talent we've had at our disposal?

• Sad 1

It was Sam McClure who made all that [censored] up about Clarry ‘desperately’ wanting out, he is a disgrace as a ‘journalist’, a bloody pathetic narcissistic [censored], I won’t be watching footy classified next year because he’ll be on it for sure! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rufus said:

The utter stupidity of floating him for trade this year beggars belief really. I kind of hope it was a bit of a lone wolf action because we can weed that wolf out. We talked up how happy we were with his efforts during this season, so to turn around and look for offers is just poor form. That's not even considering the fact that we were never any chance of getting fair value in a trade anyway. Just dumb.

Having said that, regardless of what muppetry is going on in the MFC admin, my view is that the position we currently find ourselves in is on the players. And it is very much on the top end talent, including Oliver and others who are getting paid a good amount of money.

Had we stood up under pressure on the field over the last few years, I'm sure there would be less unrest and we'd still be an attractive destination for prospective players. If some of what we hear is true, then in some quarters we've been afforded some deplorable levels of dedication in terms of leaving no stone un turned to be in peak shape to perform on game day. And in other quarters we've had high paid and highly rated players who've done a lot of finger pointing without really looking like they're prepared to put the team on their back and take us to the next level.

Although I really dislike him, I thought Sam Mitchell had some great words after their finals exit this year. When asked about his message to the players, he said something like: 'This is your club now. The coaches and the admin will be here to guide you and help you as needed, but it's your club and it's up to you to take this thing where you want it to go'. I thought they were brilliant words and I wondered whether we've taken the approach at Melbourne? Maybe we did and the players weren't quite good enough or we didn't have the right characters who could ensure we went about it the right way and eeked everything possible out of the talent we've had at our disposal?

It was Gary Pert who rang around looking to trade him, with a bit of luck, and if they do a proper inquiry into the running of the club, Pert and Goodwin will be told to clean out their lockers!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Dave1711 said:

It was Gary Pert who rang around looking to trade him, with a bit of luck, and if they do a proper inquiry into the running of the club, Pert and Goodwin will be told to clean out their lockers!

That is very amusing Dave1711, very droll indeed.

8 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Sorry but I find your post horribly disrespectful and totally unwarranted. Daz was simply passing on information he had heard - which we all encourage. You may not like the info presented, but there is no cause to be so angry and disrespectful. 

Well your mate  Daz was passing on material which is  totally at odds with material available for all of us to see. There was the podcast of an hour or so which we had access to ten days ago, Clarry spoke with warmth about MFC and his fellow players. And then the interview at Caulfield yesterday .  If the CEO did “ shop him around” that’s amazingly stupid  and I don’t  blame Clarry for looking around. But that’s past, he is fully committed , let’s relish the situation and get on 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tiers said:

Well, yes, but it is a verbatim quote from Clarry, utterly supportive of MFC . And repeated again verbatim in The Hun. Most favourable material from Clarry, let’s rejoice in it 

• Like 4