Clayton Oliver

Demonland

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Oliver spoke bullishly of the Demons’ chances next year after a 
disappointing 2024 in which the club missed the finals for the first time since 2020.

I think this just about confirms Melbourne as the big winner of the trade and free agency period. The club kept its absolute champions and has two top ten picks in its back pocket. 

We can now follow Clarry’s lead and concentrate on the Spring Carnival, the cricket, tennis and the rest of the AFLW season before moving on to take the next premiership flag.

This is an outstanding result of the recent weeks. All augers well for what is ahead, those who are maturing as players, retaining leading talent and a whisper of improved confidence across the board starting to solidify. Max, Vines and Co, you held the Club together in a dark hour. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

I dont think he was talking to Geelong about pasta recipes was he.

This is all on Pert. 

By shopping Clarry around he started the media speculation and put the Club in an embarrassing position.

What a load of dribble, now point us to where Pert did this on his own?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

The headline says ‘failed trade’ but Oliver only ever talks about ‘having a chat’ or ‘meeting with’ Geelong. At no point did he say or even hint at any desire (or otherwise) to leave.

A little bit of a peek behind the curtain there, seeing how the media creates a narrative rather than reporting things straight.

Yes, it’s like referring to my ‘failed romance’ with Sabrina Carpenter…

No I didn’t know who she was 6 months ago, yes I am aware it’s a creepy thing to post, no I am not going to change my behaviour.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

He was never going to do any different. This is salvageable if we allow it to be. 

This is also one of those incredibly rare instances where fan behaviour and feeling actually impacts a situation…

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

What a load of dribble, now point us to where Pert did this on his own?

Yours is the dribble.

You point us to evidence that Pert didn't shop him around.

Maybe the boot studder took it upon himself to shop around one of our vest players.

The fact that the Board had to intervene to stop it is embarrassing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

I am glad to see some good news about Clayton Oliver.

He sounded like he is in good spirits and in a positive mindset.

Definitely a man of few words. But that's fine. Actions speak louder than words!

I for one would love to say Clayton Oliver win a Brownlow Medal and also win a few more Premierships at the Demons. I also really hope he could play over 350+ games for the Demons. That would be an amazing achievement. All these things are most certainly achievable for Clayton Oliver if he sets his mind to it.

As for the allegations about the CEO Gary Pert. I don't think the Board or the interim President Brad Green are stupid, they should know what is exactly going on. Otherwise, they are not doing their due diligence to a satisfactory level. Nobody would want any staff members going rogue and doing things without approval from the Board.

The external reviews of the Board and Football Department should bring any issues to light. Then we will see what the outcomes are. There may be some heads on the chopping block and we shall wait and see who.....

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver opens up on Trade Period drama

Clayton Oliver has spoken publicly for the first time about his failed trade to Geelong and what he expects when he returns to Melbourne for pre-season.

Clayton Oliver plans to make up for what he called “a stinker” of a season, saying he is determined to help drive Melbourne back to the finals again in 2025.

The Demons midfielder met with Geelong ahead of the trade period about a potential move down the highway, but Melbourne would not budge on its decision to retain the 27-year-old.

Oliver told the Herald Sun on Saturday at Caulfield that while he was within his rights to speak with the Cats, he was now focused solely on trying to get his body right to help the Demons return to September action.

“We’re good, we’re all sweet,” Oliver said of his relationship with Melbourne.

“We’ve got ‘Trac’ (Christian Petracca) coming back, (he’s) the best player in the league … he had a pretty big injury. He is training hard. 

“We were there (in a premiership winning team in 2021) a couple of years ago and we fell short in 2022 and 2023.

“(This year) ‘Gussy’ (Angus Brayshaw) retired, we had ‘Trac’ injured, I had a stinker of a year and ‘Maysey’ (Steven May) was a little bit off.”

Oliver said he had been in regular communication with Christian Petracca, who has been overseas at a Red Bull training camp in an effort to return from his sickening lacerated spleen and internal injuries suffered on King’s Birthday.

Asked about his meeting with Geelong in the lead-up to the trade period, Oliver said: “It’s all right … (I had) a chat to people.”

“But Melbourne are looking good. We will have a big year.”

I call all of this BS, until they put a reputable Media name to  it, and i see Oliver saying it. I think in view of recent media record, we are entitled to ask for that as a minimum.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

I call all of this BS, until they put a reputable Media name to  it, and i see Oliver saying it. I think in view of recent media record, we are entitled to ask for that as a minimum.

It would have been an interview at Caulfield Cup races yesterday. 

Why don’t  you ring him up and ask him to repeat just for you? 

For all the doubters he tried last year but fitness decided his finish after the bye. Once he is at footy he is his most determined thing in his life.

I also predict CP 5 will be back to his best. He has the added incentive to display his brand at his best. 

That’s one of the reasons I believe the season this year  was a bit like 2020 and it would not surprise me that 2025 mirrors 2021 in some way.

There is a lot we can do a little better or even a lot better so don’t  be surprised we improve as a team to prove some of the critics wrong. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Can I suggest you read the Herald Sun today for your proof. Looks like it will be a feature in today’s Hun. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Yours is the dribble.

Maybe the boot studder took it upon himself to shop around one of our vest players.

When did they stop it? It was done and we have moved on except you McClure and Barrett. 
Clarry had also please read  his comments below from the interview with HSun at Caulfield races yesterday.

They don’t call you CF for nothing! 

• Like 1

To be honest if I was in Clayton's position, I to would have been chatting to other clubs, if I got wind of the club shopping me around for the second year in a row (i.e 2 can play that game). At the very least taking some control of the situation and being proactive in the finding a preferred destination.

As for Pert, what was he hoping to achieve? Oliver had as much right to refuse any prospective trade, just as much as Melbourne has/did - so for Pert to be successful he would have needed to get Clayton sufficiently disillusioned to leave (agree to being traded). 

Edited by Ungarieboy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ungarieboy said:

To be honest if I was in Clayton's position, I to would have been chatting to other clubs, if I got wind of the club shopping me around for the second year in a row (i.e 2 can play that game). At the very least taking some control of the situation and being proactive in the finding a preferred destination.

As for Pert, what was he hoping to achieve? Oliver had as much right to refuse any prospective trade, just as much as Melbourne has/did - so for Pert to be successful he would have needed to get Clayton sufficiently disillusioned to leave (agree to being traded). 

As I have been saying for a while Pert needs to be sacked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Yours is the dribble.

You clearly have no clue, and to say that I should have to show Pert did not do that is one of the dumbest things ever written suggest you read back what you write before posting, and by the way any proof the board intervened this reply will be good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, djr said:

I don't have a problem with these journos "reporting" the news, even if it isn't really true. The thing that gets me is when they get on their soapbox and start pontificating. 

I think it's important to understand who these people are in the context of sports journalism. It's struck me this trade period how the more serious, or perhaps I should say responsible football journalists mostly avoid the speculation about potential trades. At The Age - a much diminished product but nonetheless the one I read most closely - Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson are seen nowhere near these trade talkfests.

What passes for a responsible person at the Herald Sun so far as I can tell is Mark Robinson (I know, I know) and I don't see his byline attached to anything like that linked to the usual culprits.

These journos you talk of operate on radio, social media, and internet/TV. The expanse of radio/internet/TV airtime they must occupy to justify their existence seems to force them into endless verbal garbage.

Usually around trade time I bury my head in the sand and wait for the period to end and then see what comes of it because in my experience 90% of it is bull dust. This year for obvious reasons I was sucked in. Trac in particular was an issue but in future I'll be leaving  lightweight flibbertigibbets like Morris and McNoClue to their own devices.

If someone like Niall starts to write it, then I'll give it credence.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

16 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

The headline says ‘failed trade’ but Oliver only ever talks about ‘having a chat’ or ‘meeting with’ Geelong. At no point did he say or even hint at any desire (or otherwise) to leave.

A little bit of a peek behind the curtain there, seeing how the media creates a narrative rather than reporting things straight.

Lol.. he's not going to publicity come out express a desire that he wanted to leave. 

He played a straight bat and exactly the answer you'd expect from someone that either had every intention of wanting to leave or was at least putting some serious consideration into it.

Was speaking with an ex colleague last Thursday who worked with the Murray Bushrangers and is from Shepparton way. He knows his Dad Steve very well.

His old man confirmed to him that Oliver and his family desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand, Geelong could not cater to our needs. The asking price was too much for Geelong.

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded. Similar to the Petracca situation, there is some serious amending of the bridges that will need occur over the off season.

You can spin whatever narrative you want about the media, but Oliver absolutely wanted to leave Melbourne. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol.. he's not going to publicity come out express a desire that he wanted to leave. 

He played a straight bat and exactly the answer you'd expect from someone that either had every intention of wanting to leave or was at least putting some serious consideration into it.

Was speaking with an ex colleague last Thursday who worked with the Murray Bushrangers and is from Shepparton way. He knows his Dad Steve very well.

His old man confirmed to him that Oliver and his family desperately wanted to leave for Geelong, but due to our high demand, Geelong could not cater to our needs. The asking price was too much for Geelong.

The Oliver family/camp are incredibly disgruntled with the Dees in how this has all unfolded. Similar to the Petracca situation, there is some serious amending of the bridges that will need occur over the off season.

You can spin whatever narrative you want about the media, but Oliver absolutely wanted to leave Melbourne. 

This is your worst effort for some time! You always seem to have ex colleagues and someone, twice removed, who heard something from a reputable source! Oh, yeah! Our 'high demand' was directly related to the lengthy contract Ollie signed, yet you 'spin' it to sound as if the figure was something unreasonable that the Club hastily thought up on the run. Ollie is obviously now very much gruntled with how it sits. You, however, continue to beat a dead horse in your pathetic attempts to stay relevant!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 2
  • Vomit 3

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Things can turn quickly and it’s disappointing to read this to see how far we have fallen in the last 12 months. 
Optimistically, I look towards the 2025 season with hope we can bounce back, but I feel Trac / Oliver will be scarred and still possibly want out at the end of 2025, can they really perform at their absolute best over a long season in this environment we find ourselves in…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

40 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

This is your worst effort for some time! You always seem to have ex colleagues and someone, twice removed, who heard something from a reputable source! Oh, yeah! Our 'high demand' was directly related to the lengthy contract Ollie signed, yet you 'spin' it to sound as if the figure was something unreasonable that the Club hastily thought up on the run. Ollie is obviously now very much gruntled with how it sits. You, however, continue to beat a dead horse in your pathetic attempts to stay relevant!

Sorry but I find your post horribly disrespectful and totally unwarranted. Daz was simply passing on information he had heard - which we all encourage. You may not like the info presented, but there is no cause to be so angry and disrespectful. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1