Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

adonski

14 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

Jeez, you really crushed me after that simple comment..

Just take it easy, you come on here out of no-where and celebrate getting this pick like we've won the premiership and then attack people who don't agree with you, maybe just dial it back a bit. No need to tell people to follow other sports or make up stuff about people.

Yeah but isn't it a good thing if the club is doing what we want ie. getting higher picks?

• Like 5

Just now, Roost it far said:

Sounds like you've got a friend for your afternoon walks........Couldn't help myself :)

I never quite understood what you were on about with that stuff anyway

Back then I was putting a positive slant on the upcoming season and I need a walk in the sun?  

Were you projecting? 

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Pffft

And my advice to you is to try and get a bit of joy out of the game and your team

You poor your misery out on others so what sort of reaction do you think you're going to get?  And learn how to talk with people not at them

Ridiculing your own supporters wins you no favours

And lose the anger

I think you're getting worked up for no reason mate. Where have I ridiculed supporters? It sounds like you've got some kind of resentment, maybe for someone else?

Just note that whilst I’m a big supporter of JT, low draft picks does not guarantee success.  Getting 5 & 9 should add two high quality youngsters.  It was true for 2021, and in the future , you need the combination of drafting 1st round draftees, wise trades, attracting the right players from other clubs and development of others within the group.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah but isn't it a good thing if the club is doing what we want ie. getting higher picks?

There's people here who can't get any joy out of 2021 flag because apparently, the GF wasn't played at the MCG

Just miserable types and they've all found each on the internet.  Affirmation (of sorts)

Outside of the net, who would put up with their miserable utterings?  

The strange thing is that the miserable types have insanely high expectations.  That probably explains why they whinge so much

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

I think you're getting worked up for no reason mate. Where have I ridiculed supporters? It sounds like you've got some kind of resentment, maybe for someone else?

No, nothing like that

What is true is you get easily triggered by any sort of optimism

So instead of embracing picks 5 & 9 as a great triumph (it is) all you want to do is reference the other issues the club might have

Just enjoy the moment like most others are

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

Sure, but we shouldn't be only thinking of the draft.

I might be cynical cyril here but I think that we actually should be focussing mostly on the draft this year. The trade period is as slow as a wet week and there isn't much worth a pinch of poop.

Not interested in using it for Houston either, that feels like one of those hot days where 5 people are fighting it out for the last ice cream in the milk bar. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

I might be cynical cyril here but I think that we actually should be focussing mostly on the draft this year. The trade period is as slow as a wet week and there isn't much worth a pinch of poop.

Not interested in using it for Houston either, that feels like one of those hot days where 5 people are fighting it out for the last ice cream in the milk bar. 

2024 as a season is done with and it's time to look ahead with regards to list management and the draft

The club review will hopefully result in creating a clear pathway forward but we might see a few personnel changes with a few off-field positions

As always, we are just mere onlookers speculating on what we think might happen

• Like 4

Just a question on the likely top 10 picks from all the phantom drafts

How many of the 10 are not midfielders? (disregarding the F/S and Academy picks) 

I ask the question because can it be assumed that we will pick the best talent available with our 2 picks ... and are they by default, midfielders? 

• Like 1

A big no to Harry Armstrong.

Reminds me too much of Sam Weideman and tends to lack intensity at times.

If you're wanting key forward, go after Jobe Shanahan.. kid is an absolute beast.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Just a question on the likely top 10 picks from all the phantom drafts

How many of the 10 are not midfielders? (disregarding the F/S and Academy picks) 

I ask the question because can it be assumed that we will pick the best talent available with our 2 picks ... and are they by default, midfielders? 

Armstrong (key fwd)

Tauru aka the Flying Viking (key def) are the two who appear in some top 10s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes agree it’s a reminder of the Mahoney days. Good smart trading of picks to move up the order.   No complaints.  Let’s JT weave some magic.  

Just to be clear, the call out that was frustrating was the recruitment of players like Schache (and his extension), McAdam and Billings.  The extension for Laurie for a further 2 years was highly questionable. 

Schache was cover for Weideman, or a straight swap if you like, I assume he wasn't on a million a year, McAdam was not getting a regular game at the Crows and Billings had been sidelined also, a new full pre season after an end of year review will do them no harm. Laurie just needs consistency, issue was the yo yo ing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adonski said:

Armstrong (key fwd)

Tauru aka the Flying Viking (key def) are the two who appear in some top 10s

Ok thanks

So next question is when are Armstong or Tauru likely to be picked? 

Top 5?  6-10?  3-7? 

If you don't have a good idea, don't worry, as I'm just trying to figure out whether we are all-in on 2 midfielders or maybe making a play for Armstrong or Tauru? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ok thanks

Top 5?  6-10?  3-7? 

If you don't have a good idea, don't worry, as I'm just trying to figure out whether we are all-in on 2 midfielders or maybe making a play for Armstrong or Tauru? 

Don't think anyone can provide a good answer yet, although there have been links between Norf's pick 2 & Tauru

• Like 2

Just now, adonski said:

Don't think anyone can provide a good answer yet, although there have been links between Norf's pick 2 & Tauru

Ok, the word is that North have got enough midfielders?  So that makes sense

If that happens, pick 5 gets us the choice of the best 4 available Mids 

Pick 9 gives us one of the best 8 (or so) midfielders or do we take the punt on Armstrong? 

One thing is for sure is that the club knows who we are going after with a plan B and a plan C as part of the overall plan

The first part of the plan was getting pick 9 off the Bombers

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

A big no to Harry Armstrong.

Reminds me too much of Sam Weideman and tends to lack intensity at times.

If you're wanting key forward, go after Jobe Shanahan.. kid is an absolute beast.

I agree with that.  Shanahan reminds me of Curnow 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ok thanks

Top 5?  6-10?  3-7? 

Yeah it's interesting to know what our strategy is eg is it:

A. "We have our eye specifically on someone who will be there at 9-15" (as we seemed keen on 13).  Maybe - but this draft seems very unpredictable so would be hard to be sure of anything.

B. "This draft has so much talent - to have 2 picks in the top 10 means we could get 2 stars"

C. "We don't have a set plan but top picks are a premium - we can use them like that, slide 9 back for another in the second round or even package them for 2 and another first round".

D. Something else again

I suspect its mostly C and A - we probably have about 15 different scenarios war gamed out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1