Welcome to Demonland: Pick 9

4 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Trigger warning for MFC drafting WA players with top 10 picks. But might we look at the possibility of snatching Bo Allan with pick 9 ahead of the Perth clubs? (That is only if in draft interviews he was open to a move interstate)

This would be double dipping into the high level mid stocks this first round of picks holds. I would still prefer a key position pick with 9 but just spit balling.

I think the mids we're going to have the choice of picking at 5/6 are Langford and Smillie. But even though he's a bit raw at the moment I can see Allan being better then both of those players. Just a thought.

I see Bo as a flight risk so I would pass on him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m seeing it the same way, and whilst I’d be more than happy with Tauru if North didn’t want to deal I wonder if we split pick 5 if he’s the best available there.

See if Richmond will do 10 and 18. Or someone else can get a similar level of picks with the first one between 8 and 12.

JT isn’t afraid to go his own way at the top of the draft but I’m underwhelmed by the small mids and Smillie.

Theres a few options.

Freo 9 for 14 & 30

WCE 9 for 12 & 26

Port 9 for 13 & 29

Rich 9 for 10/11 & any of 18,20,23,24

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Trigger warning for MFC drafting WA players with top 10 picks. But might we look at the possibility of snatching Bo Allan with pick 9 ahead of the Perth clubs? (That is only if in draft interviews he was open to a move interstate)

This would be double dipping into the high level mid stocks this first round of picks holds. I would still prefer a key position pick with 9 but just spit balling.

I think the mids we're going to have the choice of picking at 5/6 are Langford and Smillie. But even though he's a bit raw at the moment I can see Allan being better then both of those players. Just a thought.

Why take a risk on a no 10 minus player at 9 when clearly the mids are ahead of him and about 7 of them better. 
And with 9 or 5 please get Tauru when he is available or if not Armstrong. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 16/10/2024 at 11:14, DeeSpencer said:

The teams needing points were Brisbane (dealt 20 to Richmond, best they had was 32), GC (in big deals with Pies and Richmond that they wouldn’t want to have jeopardised) and Essendon, who we dealt with!

F1 and 40, 65 for 13

28 and 54 for 24

The other option was keep 28 and bundle to 32 but then we aren’t getting a pick inside 13 for our first rounder. 

There’s nothing wrong with folding 9 back down a bit if that’s how the draft falls. The eagles just split 3 for 12, it’s reasonable to move 9 somewhere towards 15.

Why not get the best mid forward whichever at 9 that won’t be available if we split 9. Need two champs with 5 and 9. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

Theres a few options.

Freo 9 for 14 & 30

WCE 9 for 12 & 26

Port 9 for 13 & 29

Rich 9 for 10/11 & any of 18,20,23,24

Can see one of these happening

Depends what JTs top 20 in order are compared to the others. No doubt he has good relationships with other list managers. If both teams are likely to get their man it could be a win-win

Some delicate discussions to be had by the draft whisperer 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

52 minutes ago, 58er said:

Why take a risk on a no 10 minus player at 9 when clearly the mids are ahead of him and about 7 of them better. 
And with 9 or 5 please get Tauru when he is available or if not Armstrong. 

Big fan of Tauru - Big no from me on Armstrong (looks like another Weed or Jefferson) to me 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m seeing it the same way, and whilst I’d be more than happy with Tauru if North didn’t want to deal I wonder if we split pick 5 if he’s the best available there.

See if Richmond will do 10 and 18. Or someone else can get a similar level of picks with the first one between 8 and 12.

JT isn’t afraid to go his own way at the top of the draft but I’m underwhelmed by the small mids and Smillie.

I personally wouldn't split it if he's there - I've been sucked in by the potential. 

I think I'm higher on Jagga than you, but down on FOS.

• Like 1

I'd personally keep pick 9 and draft a Tauru/Travaglia. I don't hate the idea of drafting Armstrong but he's a 3–4 year project player whereas there are plenty of options who look AFL ready now. Considering we've jettisoned our first pick of '25 off to the Bombers, I think we'll be looking at guys who'll make an impact pretty quickly.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Demon Jack said:

I'd personally keep pick 9 and draft a Tauru/Travaglia. I don't hate the idea of drafting Armstrong but he's a 3–4 year project player whereas there are plenty of options who look AFL ready now. Considering we've jettisoned our first pick of '25 off to the Bombers, I think we'll be looking at guys who'll make an impact pretty quickly.

I agree that Tauru at 9 if available would be great 

Armstrong looks like another Jefferson to me so it’s a big no imo 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sydee said:

I agree that Tauru at 9 if available would be great 

Armstrong looks like another Jefferson to me so it’s a big no imo 

Armstrong looks like he can crash packs , all I ever saw of Jefferson was marks on the lead or out in space uncontested .

I feel the game where he kicks 7 for vic metro he actually kicked most of his goals from ducking out the back or from free kicks. A couple good leads but nothing to say he would be a good afl player.

this was his breakout game that out him into first round contention. 

• Like 2

I see a split happening in the event that we know a player we like is going to be available at our next selection. If not then probably not worth it.

Same as when we traded up for North's pick 8 then slid to 10 with pick 28 coming back ourway in 2019. That allowed us to get Pickett, who we were always selecting anyway, and Rivers.

That's why I'm for a split if the club sees a scenario like that unfolding. 

9 down to 11 and one of Richmond's pick in the early 20s. Get the same player and add an extra high quality pick. Richmond would potentially be enticed to do the deal as there are a couple competitors, as highlighted, above that could swoop in and take a player they like ahead of them.

3 picks within 24 in this draft is enticing but if we take 5 and 9 to the draft I'll be equally as happy.

• Like 20
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Melonmonster said:

Armstrong looks like he can crash packs , all I ever saw of Jefferson was marks on the lead or out in space uncontested .

I feel the game where he kicks 7 for vic metro he actually kicked most of his goals from ducking out the back or from free kicks. A couple good leads but nothing to say he would be a good afl player.

this was his breakout game that out him into first round contention. 

The free kick might’ve been paid first but he took an absolutely gorgeous pack hang in that game and another on the flank. He’s not a pack crasher but he is a good overhead plucker particularly when he’s floating across a pack. The one thing that stands out from the highlights to me is just how raw and skinny he was.

Armstrong’s got a more solid frame and well rounded game. He does seem to hit the contest more reliably and was kicking goals somewhat regularly at the back end of the year. But Im struggling with how many low disposal, low marks games he produced in a dominant Sandy side. Even account for the disruptions of school footy, champs and injuries/soreness that all young talls struggle with. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, demonzz said:

Agree, we aren't that bad that we need volume of players, but two more jets would be awesome. 

I think we'd love 3 highly fancied mids with slightly different strengths (leg speed, explosion from stoppage and an ability to hit the scoreboard) to add to McVee, Rivers and Kolt, who are all very modern day players.

The stronger we make our midfield, the better we will be as a team.

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Melonmonster said:

Watching replays of the u18 Championships and I just keep being impressed by Armstrong.  He always takes it one grab and kicks it straight. 

Strong in a contest and a good footy IQ. A natural key forward. I'd love to get him and a good running ball user. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sydee said:

Big fan of Tauru - Big no from me on Armstrong (looks like another Weed or Jefferson) to me 

Well you are wrong as Jeffo has his best footy in front of him. This season it starts early on. 
Just in case Tauru is the one at 5 or 9 with a goal kicking mid to complete our top 10 selections.  
Couple of rookies Yze and Andrew’s possibly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 58er said:

Well you are wrong as Jeffo has his best footy in front of him. This season it starts early on. 
Just in case Tauru is the one at 5 or 9 with a goal kicking mid to complete our top 10 selections.  
Couple of rookies Yze and Andrew’s possibly. 

Hopefully but I’m not the only one that has serious concerns about Jefferson’s lack of intensity - and if we can believe one poster here that concern might be shared by an assistant coach 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1