The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

13 hours ago, Garbo said:

Think Essendon will be aiming to trade down so they can get Kako and a player before, if anything they will want our pick 5, so we should be able to get 9 and next years first if we wanted at a minimum 

We won't be giving them pick 5# under any circumstances. That would be an utterly moronic decision.

Essendon are better loading up on points to get Isaac Kako. Otherwise they will waste pick #9 when an early bid comes in from any team that highly rates Isaac Kako.

The smarter thing would be for them to give us pick #9  and we will give them in return our future first rounder (for 2025), and picks 28, 40, 48, 53, and 64 in this year's draft. They can then use all these points to take Isaac Kako if an early bid comes in.

Unfortunately, this is only wishful thinking as I doubt Essendon would do this.

Worth a try for Jason Taylor to ask though?!

This is probably the Demons best shot to try and get 2 picks in the top 10 of this year's AFL Draft.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1

Thinking creatively, perhaps we use our surplus salary cap from missing out on Houston to pay the salary of a player to trade out in exchange for a higher pick. Maybe Collingwood would give up pick 36 instead of pick 52 for Tomlinson if we paid his salary? Perhaps there is another player we can trade out.

For context, paying the salary is reported to be the difference between pick 27 and 47 for Macrae going to StKilda.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bing181 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned. MFC are interested in Lion's first rounder, pick 20. They need the points for Ashcroft. Apart from 28, for lower picks we have 40, 48, 53, 64. Then maybe add a 3rd round pick for Tomlinson if anything goes through under FA.

Not sure how much we'd have to give up for pick 20, but we obviously aren't going to take all those lower picks to the draft.

"The Lions will have multiple takers for the pick, with the Giants, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs among the clubs expected to hold extra middle-range and later draft picks by deeper in the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period to have a swing at pushing up the draft board."

We ain't getting anything back for tommo, out of contract, so can walk.  And over 30 will be max 2 year contract on bugger all.  Won't be any compo

Edited by Travy14
  • Like 2

Clubs, including Melbourne, are expected to come hard at the Bombers for the No.9 pick using future first and second-round selections, which would open the door for Essendon to slide out and match Kako with later picks. – Callum Twomey

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, adonski said:

Clubs, including Melbourne, are expected to come hard at the Bombers for the No.9 pick using future first and second-round selections, which would open the door for Essendon to slide out and match Kako with later picks. – Callum Twomey

Interesting. I thigght they'd try to get ahead of it, rather than push the pick to next year.

If we could make that work, it'd be awesome.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

We won't be giving them pick 5# under any circumstances. That would be an utterly moronic decision.

Essendon are better loading up on points to get Isaac Kako. Otherwise they will waste pick #9 when an early bid comes in from any team that highly rates Isaac Kako.

The smarter thing would be for them to give us pick #9  and we will give them in return our future first rounder (for 2025), and picks 28, 40, 48, 53, and 64 in this year's draft. They can then use all these points to take Isaac Kako if an early bid comes in.

Unfortunately, this is only wishful thinking as I doubt Essendon would do this.

Worth a try for Jason Taylor to ask though?!

This is probably the Demons best shot to try and get 2 picks in the top 10 of this year's AFL Draft.

Well trading pick 9 and next year first plus something else would give them kako and pick 5, while it would allow us to get 9 and we can on trade Essendons first next year and our first next year for saints pick 8 or something giving us the 2 picks inside 10 plus an extra 2nd round I’d guess. It’s gets the 2 picks inside 10 we want

Edited by Garbo
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 1

On 08/10/2024 at 11:03, KozzyCan said:

If we can manage pick 10 from Freo and ~20 from Brisbane it will be a good result for us.

There's always fierce competition for these pick swaps though.

This is where our 2024 ladder position and question marks over Clarry, Trac and Koz help us. Some clubs would definitely think about death riding us.

• Like 6

I think we have a chance to get pick 11 from Freo. Its rumored that Warner wants to come home and will request a trade next season. Freo will need our future 1st round pick. they flogged us late in the season and would back it in to get a pick 5 or better from us next draft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, manny100 said:

I think we have a chance to get pick 11 from Freo. Its rumored that Warner wants to come home and will request a trade next season. Freo will need our future 1st round pick. they flogged us late in the season and would back it in to get a pick 5 or better from us next draft.

They can take 11 to the draft this year and still have three first rounders next year to get Warner across 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garbo said:

Well trading pick 9 and next year first plus something else would give them kako and pick 5, while it would allow us to get 9 and we can on trade Essendons first next year and our first next year for saints pick 8 or something giving us the 2 picks inside 10 plus an extra 2nd round I’d guess. It’s gets the 2 picks inside 10 we want

True, that's possible.

But very complicated.

I doubt St. Kilda will give up picks 7# and 8# in the draft though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Interesting. I thigght they'd try to get ahead of it, rather than push the pick to next year.

If we could make that work, it'd be awesome.

If we’re the team to bid on Kako and Essendon can’t get ahead of us (hard to see anyone from 1-4 willing to go down to 9) we might have them panicking.

The bonus for them is if they deal us pick 9 obviously we don’t bid on Kako 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adonski said:

Damn! Cal Twomey must be reading my posts on Demonland! 🤣

But in all seriousness, it is a plausible option IF Melbourne and Essendon can arrange a deal.

Essendon supporters would be wanting to use pick 9# and also get Isaac Kako. But that may be too risky and I am certain they don't want to lose him like we lost Mac Andrew in 2021.

Trading for points for Isaac Kako makes sense. But I don't think Adrian Dodoro will want to play ball.

I just want the Demons to have picks 5# and 9# that would be fantastic!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If we’re the team to bid on Kako and Essendon can’t get ahead of us (hard to see anyone from 1-4 willing to go down to 9) we might have them panicking.

The bonus for them is if they deal us pick 9 obviously we don’t bid on Kako 

27 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Damn! Cal Twomey must be reading my posts on Demonland! 🤣

But in all seriousness, it is a plausible option IF Melbourne and Essendon can arrange a deal.

Essendon supporters would be wanting to use pick 9# and also get Isaac Kako. But that may be too risky and I am certain they don't want to lose him like we lost Mac Andrew in 2021.

Trading for points for Isaac Kako makes sense. But I don't think Adrian Dodoro will want to play ball.

I just want the Demons to have picks 5# and 9# that would be fantastic!

So this was the start of that info about essendon trading 9.

"Essendon will look at ways to push up the board from their No.9 spot to get ahead of a bid on Next Generation Academy talent Isaac Kako, but will also consider pushing back down the order or shifting picks into next year."

• Like 3

Is Kako really that good? I have been underwhelmed looking at the footage available 

Is it just me ? 

• Like 3

Bombers would have to push bk to save burning 9 on Kako you would think. I guess they can keep it until draft night and if a bid comes for Kako they can live trade 9 then. 

Imagine we bid on Kako at #5, and they still hold 9. Before they match the bid they live trade pick 9 to us for a F1 and 28. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mickey said:

So this was the start of that info about essendon trading 9.

"Essendon will look at ways to push up the board from their No.9 spot to get ahead of a bid on Next Generation Academy talent Isaac Kako, but will also consider pushing back down the order or shifting picks into next year."

Trading up will be their priority but if we are a serious threat it gets very hard for them.

Richmond aren’t going to 9. North, I suspect they want the best tall and aren’t going that far down. Eagles tried the trade back thing a couple of years ago, I bet they want another gun mid. Crows tried it with Fish McAsey, doubt they do it again, maybe if they are certain Draper is available, otherwise unlikely. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Think the bid for Kako will be the Saints. Tom Morris mentioned it on SEN this morning.

I saw that too, but it was also reported in The Age that we’re big into Kako with our pick 

I don’t think we’d actually want to take him with 5 but hopefully Essendon do 👀

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangBnagBang said:

Didnt Tommo come to us a free agent. isnt the rule, once a free agent your a free agents for life????

Yeh, i changed my post as I realised as soon as I wrote it.  But more so we won't get anything for him as he is to old and the contract he gets won't warrant anything

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2021 said:

Would we be likely to actually bid on Kako, on draft night?

The age report the other day seems to think so. I'm not as high on a few of the top mids as soon people are. We are desperate for forward talent no matter the size and shape and Kako has power, aggression, class and is a good ball winner up the ground.

I think he'd be in the frame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We are desperate for forward talent no matter the size and shape

I think you'll find the club disagrees with you. JVR, Petty, Turner, then add Fritsch, Kozzie and a couple of smalls plus Jefferson coming through ... workable, and they're all still young, or young enough.

Mids would be the priority I would imagine, if not KP defenders for the longer term (May, McDonald, Thomlinson will need replacing over the next year or two).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, 2021 said:

Would we be likely to actually bid on Kako, on draft night?

I certainly hope that if Lalor or Tauru is still available at our pick/s we don’t end up with Kako 

• Like 3

Essendon don't have a competent small forward - they need Kako really badly.  Someone (us / Saints) could have them over a barrel if cards are played right.  Unlikely for anything to happen until draft night.

I imagine we'll want it known that we're keen on Kako and open to picking him but also looking at others (eg midfielders) at 5.

Will actually be an exciting draft!

• Like 2