The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

6 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

So, we are rebuilding?

Might as well have let Trac, Koz and Oliver walk LOL 

There's little doubt we have an eye on the future. However if those in the 19-23 bracket come on like we're hoping there's no reason we can't be competing at the top end over the next 3 - 4 years. The missing ingredient appears to be stability across the club, without it we won't win a raffle.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

That means nothing. You win flags by recruiting kids and topping up your gaps when the time is right. 

I think trading all our best players for unders just to get a few extra picks might not work out for us. I'm all for going to the draft this year but don't think we need to blow the list up completely to do it. When kids don't have leaders at the club to develop behind you end up like us between 08-13 or North since 2018, or Gold Coasts entire existence.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

So, we are rebuilding?

We’re capitalising on a poor year in the same way we did in 2019.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

Do you think our under 24s are above average? 

I'm not challenging you; genuinely interested to know if you think we're ahead of most teams in this age category. 

I think when you add them to our established senior core I believe our list is pretty sound. We need to recruit mids, I'd love McAdam to fulfil his talked about potential and I'd love a big, mobile key forward who can ruck, you know like that guy Jackson in Fremantle. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SthSea22 said:

So, we are rebuilding?

Yep!

46 minutes ago, KozzyCan said:

I think trading all our best players for unders just to get a few extra picks might not work out for us. I'm all for going to the draft this year but don't think we need to blow the list up completely to do it. When kids don't have leaders at the club to develop behind you end up like us between 08-13 or North since 2018, or Gold Coasts entire existence.

The difficulty the club finds itself in is the fact that our stars are ageing at the same time Tassie is on the horizon. If we bomb next year but Trac and Oliver reclaim some form then I would field offers. They would have to be very good offers, likely unrealistically good for a move to happen. But if The Brand comes to the club and says he wants out and a club says here's 2 top 10 picks then I'd consider the request. 

• Like 3

On 06/10/2024 at 16:14, DeeZone said:

Is that a quote Deemania or is this your observations, either way very good.

Yes, DZ, it is my observation and mere interpretation of (perhaps) how and why so many things that can be overcome pan out to affect team performance, progressively in tough times, and then, what could be a solution to the downward spiral. It asks a good deal, I admit; it also is a relatively suitable way to proceed more positively into a new era that we as supporters have anticipated.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, old dee said:

As I am not on X and have no desire to give the owner 1 cent can anyone advise the guts of this story please? 

Essentially we are interested in one of freos picks with our f1. May not happen if freo use two current first rounders for Bolton. 

We've been "blown out of the water" for suns pick 13 by other clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

We've been "blown out of the water" for suns pick 13 by other clubs.

I assume that's because we weren't intending to use our future first for that?

Could we use our future first for that and something else? eg a third round pick?  Could be useful for derksen or to package with the ANB pick to go a bit higher?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

As I am not on X and have no desire to give the owner 1 cent can anyone advise the guts of this story please? 

He's not making any money out of you, rest assured.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I understand this is some sort of superdraft but the picks in the teens going to have less and less value as the academy picks come in

the club willing to lose it’s future pick shows were not 100% aware of where we stand right now

this will be another jackson scenario in reverse where the trading club will think the pick is going to be teens but is actually going to be a gift of a high pick for another team

Dangerous territory right now to be playing with our future first unless you’re getting a player in right now to improve us 

Edited by Deez21
  • Like 2

It's important to remember that our 11 wins this year would land us in 9th to 12th in all other years, assuming the extra game we played this year was a game we won (so a 10-12 finish in a 22 game season). Getting 14th with 11 wins and 98% is genuinely great for us.

We had a pretty terrible season that started going awry in December last year. All that considered, we still finished with 11 wins and lost 3 games to GWS, Port, and the Lions by less than a goal in the run home to the finals. 

@ChaserJ insightfully likened this year to 2019, and I agree. We're extremely lucky to have pick 5 with the amount of wins we had this year. And it's not like we had a great season and failed to do well. A pick swap will likely end well for us, given all of these variables.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Deez21 said:

I understand this is some sort of superdraft but the picks in the teens going to have less and less value as the academy picks come in

the club willing to our it’s future pick shows were not 100% aware of where we stand right now

this will be another jackson scenario in reverse where a pick the trading club will think is teens is going to be a gift of a high pick for another team

Dangerous territory right now to be playing with our future first unless you’re getting a player in right now to improve us 

Can't agree sorry. As horrible as we finished this year we are not a bottom 4 team.

Academy picks don't make any difference to us as they were never available in the open pool anyway.

Next year we have the ability to trade two years in advance to get back into the first round. Failing that, if we do have a dumpster fire year then we will easily get two first rounders for Petracca and potentially a good pick for Oliver (pending form on and off the field) if one or both want out and we want to reset down the youth pathway.

Better to get as much quality kids in early and have that extra years development. I'm looking forward to seeing the possibility of two midfielders (or whatever type of player we select) to develop alongside Windsor and Tholstrup as our next wave of elite players.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Clap 1