For those who underrate our 2021 premiership…

Cassiew

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:
4 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Saw the other day that Mark "Choco" Williams has a side hustle selling little models of the MCG.

He was promoting them on Fox Footy a few nights ago.

Here's the link for anyone interested: https://mcgshop.com.au/mymcg-replica-stadium/

A bit too expensive for me. But each to their own.

Anyway, I digress, after watching the 2024 Grand Final on TV, I have gotta admit winning an AFL Premiership at the MCG on Grand Final Day is the ultimate triumph. The AFL did an impressive job getting Katy Perry to perform. Although, $5 million dollars for 20 minutes of work is a pretty sweet deal for her!

Now, don't get me wrong, the Melbourne Demons winning in Perth at Optus Stadium in 2021 was wonderful. Especially as we ended our 57 year Premiership drought.

But winning a Premiership at the home of football at the MCG must be the ultimate objective. I hope Simon Goodwin and many of the Melbourne Demons players got together to watch the Grand Final on TV and it motivates them to aim for Premiership glory next year in 2025.

Winning at the MCG would be absolutely amazing for us as long-suffering Melbourne members and supporters. Particularly if it's a beautiful day on the last Saturday in September. The COVID-19 lockdowns back in 2021 prevented us from celebrating the way we deserved to do.

I am sure many of us want to celebrate a Premiership win here in Melbourne at the MCG so we can paint the town red and blue. Go crazy and party all night, go to a few pubs, get drunk and pass out in Swan Street, Richmond or some other place in the City.

Ideally, we will have our home base built at Caulfield Racecourse in a few years so we can celebrate at our Home Base too! Especially, as I don't think the Melbourne Demons have any specific supporter friendly pubs like the Brisbane/Fitzroy Lions do such as the Royal Derby Hotel on Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

Anyway, let's hope we don't have to wait another 57 years to celebrate our next Melbourne Demons Premiership and that it is at the MCG IN Melbourne!

It's great that you are passionate, living and supporting the team where they come from. There are a few on here who also pay for the team who don't live in Melbourne. Couldn't care less where and how we broke our drought. Stop [censored] sooking. If it had been staged and I lived in Melbourne at the time I still probably couldn't see it, because it's just for one tenth of our richest supporters. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Jibroni said:

I was lucky enough to be there in 21 and with respect location does not matter. It's a national competition.

If the AFL had an integrity the GF should be at a neutral ground end of story. Yesterday and when there is an all Victorian GF are the exceptions to this.

It matters if you couldn’t get there due to border closures 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I really don’t think it matters that it wasn’t at the MCG. It’s still a premiership. We were that good that year, it could have been played in North Korea and we still would’ve won.

When the MCG deal finally ends, the AFL will no doubt look to rotate the grand final across the country just like the NFL does.

• Like 2

On 21/09/2024 at 13:23, greenwaves said:

I don't get the idea that because the premiership wasn't won at the MCG that some people feel short-changed.  This is how the supporters of all the non-Victorian teams experience a premiership and they don't feel short-changed.  Same goes for the NRL, A League, netball etc.  In the NFL and NBA this is the norm.  It's not the little VFL anymore.  

Agreed. I’m pretty sure I would have been able to get at least one ticket but the fact is the vast majority of the fans wouldn’t have been able to go and I watched it the way most people would. Sure I’d love to attend the game but not everyone will have that luxury regardless where we play. So for the selfishness of people who say “it won’t feel real unless it’s the MCG” take into consideration for fans that attending the grand final won’t ever be an option.

Sure I’d like to win one here too but if this is all we ever get (forbid that) I certainly will die fulfilled knowing I saw a demons flag in my lifetime. An MCG premiership would be nice, but to be honest it could never beat this one for me. Our biggest drought over. First time in my life. A painful chapter finally closed.

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 22/09/2024 at 09:54, layzie said:

For sure however there's one difference, a lot of us would have moved heaven and Earth to be in WA if we were allowed to.

When you buy a high level membership for years with a GF guarantee and go to games most weeks, you sort of do feel short-changed when the once in a lifetime day comes and you're essentially banned from attending.

Swans and Lions fans are at least able to try and get tickets and get on a plane down here, all the best to them.

Facepalming this post is stranger than suggesting our flag was underrated.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

Agreed. I’m pretty sure I would have been able to get at least one ticket but the fact is the vast majority of the fans wouldn’t have been able to go and I watched it the way most people would. Sure I’d love to attend the game but not everyone will have that luxury regardless where we play. So for the selfishness of people who say “it won’t feel real unless it’s the MCG” take into consideration for fans that attending the grand final won’t ever be an option.

Sure I’d like to win one here too but if this is all we ever get (forbid that) I certainly will die fulfilled knowing I saw a demons flag in my lifetime. An MCG premiership would be nice, but to be honest it could never beat this one for me. Our biggest drought over. First time in my life. A painful chapter finally closed.

I think you're missing the point when people say things like this. It is possible to be forever grateful that we won it but at the same time bittersweet that they didn't see it in person.

Poor comment and really unfair on people who committed a lot to this club over the years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassiew said:

Very well said. Some people, like myself, are time poor or don't have the expendible money to fork out for games or memberships and have to resort to watching on the TV. Some people have said the same on DL and my analysis would be some are a lot worse off than myself.

Whether it was at Perth or not the premiership is ours, fair and square. Winning premierships are a privilege not a right, regardless of where and when it's achieved.

Like you said, winning one is amazing and for a lot of fans its their first time seeing a Demons flag, who know how many didnt ever see one or when the next one is, you taking winning one in Perth as opposed to not winning one at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm forever grateful that we won it anywhere and I don't NEED to see one on the MCG, it was hard enough to climb the mountain once let alone twice. Extremely happy we did what we did.

But don't tell me that I can't feel a little slighted that a GF week in Melb, a captains run, being there in person and a celebration at Gosch's with all our other fans was taken away from us.

When you're someone who pays up your membership each year even when money is tight, goes to games regularly even when there was 10,000 in attendance and most of our fans had bailed on us and made donations to the club in 2020 when many of us lost our jobs or had hours cut simply because we believed in the club as an institution and wanted it to survive, it is pretty harsh to tell someone like that to simply 'get over it'.

I'm glad to see so many have moved past that feeling and I have to an extent, however there's nothing wrong with having that in the back of the mind when it comes to the 2021 flag. Some would have loved being cooped up in their homes watching on tv but for others that situation alone for months on end led to depression (football and grand finals aside) and there's probably no need to gaslight others who feel the same way. Life isn't black and white. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Our team has diminished since 21 & failed to improve the list .. lost Jackson, Brayshaw , Oliver issues, Trac injury which is our midfield, inability to find a power forward, want be winning on the G until these are addressed 

Looks as though the punters agree with you. 

I don’t know, I want to be a realist and accept we are in a mini rebuild and are at least 2 years away from contending again, but can’t help but look at how sporadic our season had been. I know it’s a lot more nuance than that, but I sincerely still believe we have what it takes to finish top 4. We had a team which came off humiliation defeats to Collingwood and Fremantle, scraping past lowly North only to then go up to Brisbane against a red hot Lions and only losing by 3 points after a freakish McCluggage goal.

We know Windsor, McVee are 200+ gamers if injury free, but I still honestly believe we still don’t know how good the likes of Tholstrup, Turner, Brown and Woewodin are gonna be. I even look at someone like Howes as someone who can offer the value Wilmot offers to Brisbane in a settled defense. 

It’s not a big stretch to suggest Oliver can come back to 2021-2023 form and Petracca is doing all he can. An extended break also gives the likes of Gawn, May, Lever ample time to get as a ripe as possible. 

I like to believe we can be one of the biggest bounce backs in 2025. 

Edited by VNightCityLegend
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

45 minutes ago, Bowserpower said:

I think you're missing the point when people say things like this. It is possible to be forever grateful that we won it but at the same time bittersweet that they didn't see it in person.

Poor comment and really unfair on people who committed a lot to this club over the years. 

There's a big difference between feeling a little downhearted that we couldn't be there in person and calling it a fake flag. I don't know why people can't separate the two.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cassiew said:

The thread is titled 'For those who underrate our premiership' why use this as an opportunity for virtue signalling? 

The cost of living in this country is going through the roof, club memberships prices are rising again, Kayo about to be slapped with a big increase. If you're going to fly a flag for the unfortunate people who don't have the luxury of attending or watching our great game then direct some anger towards these organisations, not just good MFC fans who would have liked to be at their only premiership in 57 years.

It has never been more expensive to follow the sport and this wasn't exclusive to the Grand Final being in Perth.

• Like 2

Chances are even if the GF was at the "G" I wouldn't have been able to get a ticket so watching on TV didn't bother me.
What bothered me was that were all locked down so I couldn't watch it with my father and sister.
It also bothered me that we couldn't go to the post game party and celebrate with the faithful.
Would've been absolutely epic that night.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Any flag won is awesome. Whether at the game, watching on TV, listening on radio or mone of those. Never understate how good it is.

Agree, I would be happy to underrate a dozen more flags for us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

After watching and enjoying the Lions Vs Swans game I took myself off to watch Every Heart Beats True and fast forwarded through the bad old times. I felt happy and contented again watching all those finals highlights, the Granny, post game and speeches, what a time to be a Demon. Really hopeful that we can bounce back and possibly snare another at the G.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

After watching and enjoying the Lions Vs Swans game I took myself off to watch Every Heart Beats True and fast forwarded through the bad old times. I felt happy and contented again watching all those finals highlights, the Granny, post game and speeches, what a time to be a Demon. Really hopeful that we can bounce back and possibly snare another at the G.

Love it! I'm sure whenever we do win it next, it's at the 'G, and we can celebrate hard for it and party extra hard to make up for the inability to do it properly in '21!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Lexinator said:

Love it! I'm sure whenever we do win it next, it's at the 'G, and we can celebrate hard for it and party extra hard to make up for the inability to do it properly in '21!

Thanks Lexinator that would definitely be the extra icing on the cake, I just doubled up and watched “Sound The Alarm” to get my full fill of our ‘21 Granny such a good production, so many key people no longer at the club.

• Love 1

If I'm still in Seattle next we get into the finals and look a red hot chance, I'll be flying home. Cost be danged - I'm setting up a little fund for emergency flights home and this qualifies.  Even if I can't get a ticket to the Grand Final, I want to be able to experience the lead up and hopefully what it is like to be able to celebrate with thousands of other Dees.

Instead, there was me on my lonesome in not-locked down Seattle with a husband who doesn't follow footy (better than him being a Filth supporter!).

Anyway, 2021's was the best Grand Final ever in my book.  Still sends tingles through me remembering it, brings a smile to my dial.  Would've loved to have been there in person but it couldn't be.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I really don’t think it matters that it wasn’t at the MCG. It’s still a premiership. We were that good that year, it could have been played in North Korea and we still would’ve won.

When the MCG deal finally ends, the AFL will no doubt look to rotate the grand final across the country just like the NFL does.

Not sure it is as simple as that. The MCG has the biggest crowd capacity in the country (there were 100,013 at the GF apparently). None of the other regular footy stadiums hold more than 55,000 IIRC. So unless some other city builds a stadium with an oval arena with a capacity for 90,000+ fans, there will never be an economic case for holding it anywhere else. Even in an era when the TV rights run the game, not even the AFL are silly enough to pass up the income from 45,000 extra GF tickets (ie massive $$s) ...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

Not sure it is as simple as that. The MCG has the biggest crowd capacity in the country (there were 100,013 at the GF apparently). None of the other regular footy stadiums hold more than 55,000 IIRC. So unless some other city builds a stadium with an oval arena with a capacity for 90,000+ fans, there will never be an economic case for holding it anywhere else. Even in an era when the TV rights run the game, not even the AFL are silly enough to pass up the income from 45,000 extra GF tickets (ie massive $$s) ...

Most likely.

Even the touted Olympic venue for Brisbane is only rumoured to be 60,000 capacity.

Would never say never but it's extremely unlikely.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, layzie said:

Most likely.

Even the touted Olympic venue for Brisbane is only rumoured to be 60,000 capacity.

Would never say never but it's extremely unlikely.

Optus is 60,000 plus capacity.

• Like 1