Christian Petracca

4 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

McKay solves our second ruck issues too. 
McKay and a first rounder for Trac is a win win 

It looks good on paper but how are you going to feel watching us kick it over Mckay's head while Petracca and Cripps destroy teams rotating mid/forward. We're gifting them a flag and it's a massive no from me.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I think it’s entirely naive to think that Trac doesn’t want out. If he didn’t, his management could shut the rumours down in 2 minutes. 
Doesn’t mean the club is going to let him go without first trying to fix what needs to be fixed.

It really is this simple. I’m expecting a trade request during trade week. That or retirement. I’d genuinely be surprised if he was in the red blue next year.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It looks good on paper but how are you going to feel watching us kick it over Mckay's head while Petracca and Cripps destroy teams rotating mid/forward. We're gifting them a flag and it's a massive no from me.

Well Trac was a serial offender with average i50 disposal. 

Very hard to know what the hell is going on with this one. One of the oddest situations in recent memory and one that seems to be damaging both the club and the player as it continues. So many reports contradict themselves (e.g. giving the club a kick up the butt to improve while simultaneously fostering a situation that makes it very hard for the club to sell itself to people who might be able to help it do that).

No idea what's gone on behind close doors. If there has been pressure applied to the club that we must get better then I'm all for that. Our 3 years since the flag have delivered so much less than they could have. But if it's more of a 'you must get better' to the club then I would feel it lacks self awareness and somewhat shirks the responsibility of the club's highest paid player to both deliver when under immense pressure and to drive the standards that ultimately turn the club into what we all want it to be.

If it's simply a 'you must get better' then I'd love the club's response to be that we get the best value for him and move on. I would also not expect the club to make this public at all as it would simply hurt the negotiating position which is currently very strong.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

McKay plus pick 5 and pick 9?, not too shabby.

Carlton are currently pick 11, but that could move lower depending on results plus Academy etc.

But with Petty re-signing, and Turner, JVR and Jefferson a year older, Trac has a LOT more value to us than another KPF, even a good one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bing181 said:

Carlton are currently pick 11, but that could move lower depending on results plus Academy etc.

But with Petty re-signing, and Turner, JVR and Jefferson a year older, Trac has a LOT more value to us than another KPF, even a good one.

Jeff’o is unproven and will take another 2-3 years. I think Petty and Turner will be our next May, Lever combo and we’ll likely send one of them back next year. 

30 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It really is this simple. I’m expecting a trade request during trade week. That or retirement. I’d genuinely be surprised if he was in the red blue next year.

I can’t see a trade being done. Nobody that Trac wants to play for has enough currency to get a trade done. 
If he was going to retire why burn the club in the media? It makes no sense. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Hypothetically, and thats if this is the case: If he's just gonna bide time till next year to try again for a trade then we should trade to the highest bidder now and be done with it. This laughable talk that the preferred destination is Collingwood really has no bearing at all.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

Hypothetically, and thats if this is the case: If he's just gonna bide time till next year to try again for a trade then we should trade to the highest bidder now and be done with it. This laughable talk that the preferred destination is Collingwood really has no bearing at all.

Trac doesn’t want to go to the highest bidder. That is the point.
 If he wants to bide his time and try again next year, fine. But he has to play very well in 2025 or else nobody is taking on a $1.1 million liability. 
I’m ok with that. Play well, help us win another flag, and maybe the big clubs Trac wants to get to will have a better deal by then. 

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

This won't happen.

For one, I'm pretty confident that he either leaves this trade period or he commits to us and, as a result of committing to us, never leaves.

For another, his contract means we can't trade him without his agreement, and if we theoretically opened up bidding to all 17 clubs, the highest bidders will be clubs he doesn't want to play for. He'll only agree to certain clubs and they won't be anywhere near the highest bidders.

He will either find a club he wants (Carlton, Collingwood, perhaps Essendon or Hawthorn) who his manager believes can offer something we'd genuinely consider, or he'll commit to us and say he had a very difficult year (true), reflected on everything (true), didn't know what he wanted to do (true) but ultimately realised he is a Melbourne person, even though it took him a long time to work it out.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Trac doesn’t want to go to the highest bidder. That is the point.
 If he wants to bide his time and try again next year, fine. But he has to play very well in 2025 or else nobody is taking on a $1.1 million liability. 
I’m ok with that. Play well, help us win another flag, and maybe the big clubs Trac wants to get to will have a better deal by then. 

Firstly I'll reiterate that this is hypothetical. Secondly with 5 years left on the contract I'll say it again, it doesn't matter what he wants. 

I think I differ on the approach from then on. If he doesn't want to be at our club that bad then I'd prefer to do a deal. I don't think we'd win a flag with the state of our list anyway but to keep a player who doesn't want to be there creating a weekly media circus and ripping through the morale of our team would be it next to impossible to win one.

I believe that this should be worked out and he will stay on but I've got no interest whatsoever in helping Petracca get to where he wants to go at the expense of using our football club like a doormat. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

This won't happen.

For one, I'm pretty confident that he either leaves this trade period or he commits to us and, as a result of committing to us, never leaves.

For another, his contract means we can't trade him without his agreement, and if we theoretically opened up bidding to all 17 clubs, the highest bidders will be clubs he doesn't want to play for. He'll only agree to certain clubs and they won't be anywhere near the highest bidders.

He will either find a club he wants (Carlton, Collingwood, perhaps Essendon or Hawthorn) who his manager believes can offer something we'd genuinely consider, or he'll commit to us and say he had a very difficult year (true), reflected on everything (true), didn't know what he wanted to do (true) but ultimately realised he is a Melbourne person, even though it took him a long time to work it out.

I'm the same, I believe it would be this year or never. 

When it comes to possiblities though, I think most of us have seen enough to know that nothing is ever iron clad. As for not being traded without agreement, I think there's more chance of players coming around to trades then digging their heels in and making things untenable at their current club, not to mention the way it looks to the rest of the league when you appear to want out but then reject a trade, future employer poison.

Yes there is the chance that he could stay at us and change his mind but another possibility is that another team  may be happy to take him for a year with the view to getting him where he wants to go, stranger things have happened. When it comes to no-one wanting to take on big money contracts, we've seen plenty of ways around those as well when it seemed impossible.

I hope he stays and works it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Yep have been thinking this for a little while myself now.

Particularly noting that he still can’t get above 100bpm - not sure how that’ll play with potential medicals fwiw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rufus said:

Very hard to know what the hell is going on with this one. One of the oddest situations in recent memory and one that seems to be damaging both the club and the player as it continues. So many reports contradict themselves ...

Agree its hard to know what's going on and l would think the club doesn't really know either given trac doesn't seem to be talking ... its also possible trac doesn't know what he wants to do. The fact he pulled out of the 7 interview might not be a good sign though as he was sure to be asked about his future

The tone in the media seems to be changing a little. Bit of a swing towards Petracca being the issue.

My gut feel is he’s holding the club over a barrel, trade or year out of the game/retirement scenario

2 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Some of the things trac is said to have said l am doubtful about or really disappointed. Not sure which yet. 

- Wants to build his brand

- Wants to play in a successful club

- Wants to play at a big Vic club

-His building his brand already 

-The club size didn't bother him when he signed for 7 years

-We have been the best preformed team over the past 4 years

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, BW511 said:

The tone in the media seems to be changing a little. Bit of a swing towards Petracca being the issue.

My gut feel is he’s holding the club over a barrel, trade or year out of the game/retirement scenario

He can retire then, that will do his brand a world of good..

Unless he agrees to go to a club who offers 3 first rounders or equivalent in players.

Fact he is contracted. We don't have to trade even if he sooks it up

• Like 3

I'm calling it now. Petracca will never come back the same player after what has happened to him

He has been traumatised and while it's understandable that he is not thinking clearly, his mental state may have been compromised for the remainder of his career

Ironcally, he needs Melbourne right now...familiarity and an immediate support structure. Melbourne will also lower their expectations for his output next year than any other club who sell the farm to get him, especially a big club with huge supporter base.

• Like 9