Christian Petracca

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

What exactly did you want him to say?

He didn't sugar coat the truth, and it's obvious there are issues at the club. You don't go from top 4 to bottom 6 if everything is sunshine and rainbows.

At least they are trying to do something about it, and talking to our best players and leaders is a very good start.

You'd be worried if everyone internally was happy and saw nothing that needed fixing wouldn't you?

I would be annoyed if any of our leaders were happy about this season, or our coaches for that matter.

I trust pert and roffey given they oversaw the end of 2020 review with subsequent success.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Imagine if we'd managed to land Butters. Our midfield would have just about perfect balance.

We're going off topic, but this is why we simply have to keep our 1st pick this year and not waste it on Houston., especially in a year where the draft is jacked with midfield talent.

Nabbed Windsor last year who will be a jet and if we can someone like a Sid Draper who is very similar to Butters then there's no doubt we can stay contending over the next couple of years.

This is our golden opportunity before Tassie.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

4 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Why do clubs have to respond to poor journalism yer journalists will not retract or apologise???

Because clubs are accountable to members, whereas journalists are only accountable to the sock they keep in their bedside table.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

I highly doubt that this is about Petracca trying to replace assistant coaches. Even if this is the case, a quiet internal word would be a better way to do it.

If he wants us to improve our list, then coming out like this is self defeating and makes us less attractive to recruits.

If he thinks we need to trade Oliver, this is not the way to go about it.

If he thinks we should remove Goodwin, he must understand the implications to our 'soft cap' mean that it is not possible.

If he thinks the doctor needs replacing, he is being unfair IMO. The spleen injury could not be diagnosed on the spot and the pressure to keep playing was from his teammates and coaches, not the doctor.

The decision to come out to the media was selfish, putting his frustrations ahead of the interests of the club.

Agree with you on all points. Using the media is very much a double edged sword. It definitely elicits a reaction internally given the public nature of it, but it is destructive and may in fact cause more damage that is intended or warranted. 

Having said that, there is a time and place for this type of 'feedback'. I don't profess to know the inner workings of the place, how much transparency there is, the culture etc etc. But if Christian is the mouthpiece of what the playing group is thinking whether it be about the current game plan, recruiting, FD, governance, training facilities or whatever it is AND they feel like they are not being heard or taken seriously, then this type of calculated publicity may in fact be warranted. But boy if that were really the situation at the club, we are in deep crapola.  

• Like 1

Tom was so big on writing about trac, he missed out on reporting a true story that dyson heppell has retired.

Anyway back on trac, I to will wait until after the trade period but I do hope the club listen to his frustrations. 

Make he was disillusioned with the low crowd numbers. Didn't he make a comment awhile ago about running out & sometimes the atmosphere is flat. 

In saying that though we supported trac when he injured himself in the early days & when he broke his toe playing basketball after coming off a knee re construction.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Demonsone said:

Why do clubs have to respond to poor journalism yer journalists will not retract or apologise???

Because supporters jump on forum sites, call the club, ring radio stations.  Journos throw the out the click bait doesn't need to be factual just not defamatory.  If they don't get clicks they lose their job.  It isn't investigative journalism it is gossip magazine stuff

• Like 5

17 hours ago, praha said:

Make of this what you will but there is a lot of angst at the club at the moment. Lots of commercial and "coterie" frustration due to the club's performances. This stems from a brand of football that is unattractive and not bringing in fans to games. Additionally, ratings have been dismal for Melbourne games, which will likely see the club relegated to Foxtel next season. This is leaking out at the same time of murmurs about Viney and Petracca... very random criticisms of Pickett... ongoing talk about Oliver. There are media darlings that are planting stories to help ignite change internally. Where that change will be I don't know. 

But I am still dumbfounded that some here thought we would escape all of this after two straight finals exits, and the performance of the past 12 months.

This is a colossal fall from grace that no other team has experienced this century. If we'd started the season like we ended it, we'd be bottom four. And we played our worst football before Trac was injured.

Getting ready for a bumper off season.

“No other team has experienced this century” please explain. Sounds a bit dramatic to me.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We're going off topic, but this is why we simply have to keep our 1st pick this year and not waste it on Houston., especially in a year where the draft is jacked with midfield talent.

Nabbed Windsor last year who will be a jet and if we can someone like a Sid Draper who is very similar to Butters then there's no doubt we can stay contending over the next couple of years.

This is our golden opportunity before Tassie.

Draper appears to have similar attributes, but his ball use doesn't seem to be in the same class as Butters.

But I agree. I want Houston for a future first, because I think he'll unlock the back half of our game and our midfield.

But we also need to inject elite talent into the midfield either via the draft or by nabbing players like Butters who are established.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 1

I would be expecting Tracc to be next MFC Captain.

Of course he would be frustrated where the Dees are this season and how his injury was (mis)handled but I suspect this recent 'news' this is more a media beatup than anything else 

If Tracc really was that fed up and desperately wanted to leave the Dees, can I pitch to him the 3054 postcode. Carlton would win a flag with him!

But I expect to see him notch up 200 games in the red & blue next season 😊

Edited by No. 31
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, von said:

“No other team has experienced this century” please explain. Sounds a bit dramatic to me.

The eagles definitely experienced something similar after 2006. Judd was gone after 07, Cousins in rehab, Fletcher flatlining. That was way worse than what we’ve gone through. Amazing Nisbett and Worsfold were kept on so long after this. Guessing if it was a Vic club it would’ve been very different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Draper appears to have similar attributes, but his ball use doesn't seem to be in the same class as Butters.

But I agree. I want Houston for a future first, because I think he'll unlock the back half of our game and our midfield.

But we also need to inject elite talent into the midfield either via the draft or by nabbing players like Butters who are established.

I like the look of Murphy Reid personally. He doesn’t have the electric speed of a Butters, but he has incredible spatial awareness like a Pendlebury or Sheezel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'A key part of this process is openly discussing any opportunities we identify where we can seek to improve'

Possibly start with any player who has not had the preparation required to physically prepare themselves to play at  AFL level does not play at AFL level.

Pointless statement, Tom Morris already acknowledged the club wouldn't let him go.

The story here is around whether Trac actually wants to leave or not, not whether we would let him.

The fact Trac hasn't put out a simple social post saying he's all in by now speaks volumes.

Could be a ploy to force some change in the coaching ranks though.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Dear Members,

Following the media speculation last night regarding Christian Petracca, I want to take the opportunity to provide clarity to you all. 

Christian is an integral and much-loved member of the Melbourne Football Club. He is a key pillar of our club’s future, and we value him immensely, not only as a player, but as a person and a leader.

He has been an important member of our football program since he walked through the doors in 2014 and is contracted until the end of the 2029 season. He will remain in the red and blue until at least the end of his contract and hopefully beyond.

Following his season-ending injury in June, Christian is still very much in a recovery and rehabilitation period and his health and well-being remain the club’s priority. He recently spent some time away in Noosa with his fiancé Bella, and I know staff, players, coaches and our supporters were thrilled to see him back at the club late last week as he commenced some very light training. 

As we approach the end of the season, we have commenced discussions with a cross section of players, coaches and staff within our football program to discuss the improvements we need to make to return to the level we expect from our AFL program.  

The 2024 season has been disappointing for us all and we must quickly turn our attention to what is required moving forward, both on and off the field, to ensure we climb back up the ladder. 

A key part of this process is openly discussing any opportunities we identify where we can seek to improve. Over recent weeks there have been conversations with many of our leaders, Christian included, about our opportunities for growth. These conversations have been open and constructive, with the purpose of ensuring that together we achieve the success we know our AFL program is capable of.

Conversations like these are a regular part of footy and will continue over the next few weeks, as we map out a clear path towards ensuring our AFL program is back in finals contention in 2025.

Importantly, this process starts now, and Goody, Max and the entire football program look forward to finishing the season strongly and playing a brand of footy that makes you, our members, proud over the coming two weeks.

Regards,

Gary Pert

I'm giving this a solid distinction. Only two cliques and six weasel words. Impressive. Go Dees.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

you simply have no idea where morris's "info" came from 

unsourced speculation you claim as "no doubt" adds nothing 

I'm not sure I deserve such an angry response. We can have differing thoughts on this without the need for attacking each other. In my opinion, most of these kinds of stories come about from player management having a symbiotic relationship with newsbreaker types in the media. As much as I don't like Tom Morris, I very much doubt his information was 'unsourced'.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Chook said:

I can see the 360 interview now. "To be honest, it's just been tough not playing and being out there with the boys. But the club has been great and Bella has been great so…"

Nothing he says will really quell any speculation. It'll go on until the trade period is over.

Thats a nothing statement he said. He has to come out and unequivocally kill the rumour and clearly say he is staying put and not seeking a trade. This story has created a great stink and will only cause more harm unless he really wants to go in which case the circus will go on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Because supporters jump on forum sites, call the club, ring radio stations.  Journos throw the out the click bait doesn't need to be factual just not defamatory.  If they don't get clicks they lose their job.  It isn't investigative journalism it is gossip magazine stuff

Spot on.

And as much as i can't stand Morris, he, and his masters, are only responding to demand from consumers.

One of the curious things about the discussion about social media platforms prioritizing hate and division in their algorithms is the one way criticism. That's to say its all reserved for the platforms and their owners and none for their consumers - us. 

The algorithm is simply responding to what consumers are attracted to - anger, car crashes, conflict. It's ever been thus - for example the wall to wall coverage Jack The Ripper received - sold a lot of newspapers at the time. 

If we feed the trolls we get what we deserve. 

Edited by binman
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Little Richard said:

The crux of Trac's issue lies mostly with one person in the football department and I would be surprised if they're still at the MFC in 2025. The sauce is good.

Dont leave us hanging... which coach is it?

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Little Richard said:

The crux of Trac's issue lies mostly with one person in the football department and I would be surprised if they're still at the MFC in 2025. The sauce is good.

McQualter?

Just now, Gawndy the Great said:

Dont leave us hanging... which coach is it?

Might not be a coach. Plenty of people in the football department who are not coaches you know.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I largely agree with you, but I'm still yet to be convinced we won't slide further next year; which, IMO, makes trading a future first extremely dangerous. I think there's a real chance we could be a bottom five side next year and I would likely think that the majority of us would be adverse, or at worst, agnostic (as it stands), to trading a top 5 pick for Houston. 

However, I don't wish to overly hijack this thread. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

But we also need to inject elite talent into the midfield either via the draft or differently nabbing players like Butters who are established.

Whilst I know you're willing to give up a future first, I'd raise this proposal first.

My guy Finn Callaghan is out of contract next year and he looks every bit of a superstar in the making.

He's childhood and best friends with Blake Howes and I think if there was a player in the competition I'd throw the war chest at its Callaghan. 

I'm not a big believer that we should be going out and spending big on a key forward as some continue to report in the media.

Collingwood won a flag with Mihocek and Mason Cox of all people. Build around JVR, Jefferson and Turner perhaps.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, Little Richard said:

What sort of sauce - tomato, sweet chilli. mayo, garlic etc?. Did you meant source?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2