Monez Wakefield

Windsor and

Tholstrup

We also have:

Woewodin

Howes

Jefferson

Brown

All of whom I have some hopes could have a reasonable AFL career.

I dont think it is the worst base to build a team on

A really honest assessment of this group would say that Windsor, JVR and McVee look like real prime talents - although JVR's second form slump of the season has me concerned when other young forwards are finding a way to kick 3 every other week. Making him ruckman for a fortnight after his best patch of the year was robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Rivers and Pickett obviously stars, but they'll be in year six next year and can't really be considered young guns in the build.

Bowey has barely had a good game in two years. Rubbish by foot at the moment and has a lot of work to do if he doesn't want to continue the slow journey towards Casey.

Turner has some good assets. Sticky hands and a good kick at goal. Fades in and out of games too much at this point.

Moniz-Wakefield has dash. No idea why people are pencilling him in as some star though. Was getting the ball 10-15 times off the flank in his first few games and doesn't seem damaging by foot. Lots to work on, but has some tools to develop.

Tholstrup has a huge amount of work to do. In my eyes, he has no obvious strengths at AFL level. He had some form in the VFL where he'd win clearances and kick goals on the run, but he's showed neither of those at AFL level yet. Not pencilling him in by any means but obviously hope he comes good.

Woey could maybe be a player long term. Good endurance runner, brave and actually has an eye for goal on the run. Again, lots would have to go right because he isn't taking his chances just now.

Jeffo - who knows. Much better back half of the year for Casey and should be playing AFL this weekend.

Brown - great tackler. The coaches don't have much faith, but I'd love to see more.

Howes looked good early in the year, but has looked lost at sea since he was dropped after the Eagles game whenever he's come in. Don't think he's a defender, but don't know where else he'd shine either. I've been a fan, but am concerned.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

JVR and McVee look like real prime talents

JVR has some good traits but a lot of very ordinary ones for a key forward as well, not sure we can bank on him being our key forward for the next 10 years just yet 

• Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1

Impossible to fathom the negativity of many on here re last nights loss. Just a friendly reminder that we had multiple stars missing, one down on form, late withdrawals through illness, others obviously hampered and coming up against a premiership contender now second on the ladder with few injuries that smashed the ladder leading Swans by 20 goals last week. Seriously,  what were people expecting.l?  I for one was delighted.  Billings or Thostrup kick either goal and we win. Decisions went against us. A number of players showed plenty. With not much to play for the spirit, aggression and pressure was immense. We lost by a kick. Take a reality check. Suns won. We drop to 13th. Losing never good but this was the next best thing.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, adonski said:

We're turning into the Adelaide Crows

Ha. So true.  Objectively, we are in a world of hurt.   We either have to revert to the old scrap, kick down the line, set up behind the ball and hope we can squeeze another finals look.  We 'look' our best playing this way.

Or we need a major recycle of the list.  There is very little chance we can play fast attacking football over an entire season with this list.   There's not enough footy iq and kicking skills across the 22, unless we clone you know who 4 times. 

Pick a lane. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Somethings not right with him. Looks mentally checked out.

Someone raised rumours during the week that he was potentially assessing his options.

Agree. He just doesn’t look interested other than when he has the ball in his hands. Highly skilled yet visibly not motivated.

7 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Ha. So true.  Objectively, we are in a world of hurt.   We either have to revert to the old scrap, kick down the line, set up behind the ball and hope we can squeeze another finals look.  We 'look' our best playing this way.

Or we need a major recycle of the list.  There is very little chance we can play fast attacking football over an entire season with this list.   There's not enough footy iq and kicking skills across the 22, unless we clone you know who 4 times. 

Pick a lane. 

It will be interesting to see the type of players we draft and trade for next year. Is Goody a suitable coach for fast attacking footy? We know he can coach the contested grind with the right list but is that where it ends for him?

Edited by Boots and all

I really wish Billings wasn't under contract. He either plays 💩 the whole game, or if he plays well, he'll lay a 💩 in an important moment and undo all the hard work.

Either way, it's 💩.

Edited by seventyfour
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Deelectable said:

Impossible to fathom the negativity of many on here re last nights loss. Just a friendly reminder that we had multiple stars missing, one down on form, late withdrawals through illness, others obviously hampered and coming up against a premiership contender now second on the ladder with few injuries that smashed the ladder leading Swans by 20 goals last week. Seriously,  what were people expecting.l?  I for one was delighted.  Billings or Thostrup kick either goal and we win. Decisions went against us. A number of players showed plenty. With not much to play for the spirit, aggression and pressure was immense. We lost by a kick. Take a reality check. Suns won. We drop to 13th. Losing never good but this was the next best thing.

Multiple stars = 2? Petracca and May. Please don't say Brayshaw, who has become a byword for damage control. He's been retired since February. Windsor, granted, is a miss too.

People aren't falling over themselves to feel good about a 2 point loss because we did it in the most suffocatingly boring way possible. 100 points scored total on a beautiful night for footy. The only way we can get near a win against good opposition is to strangle teams. We're 13th in round 21, when the club was going full boar for a flag this year. The message has changed from Goodwin and co because they know that acknowledging their failure could see them in the gun. I'm not going to fall for the PR, nor will I infantilise a group full of Premiership stars who've forgotten how to play footy. That team last night had FOUR players who have played under 50 games, and one of them is McVee.

Edited by Pirlo
  • Like 2
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

Multiple stars = 2? Petracca and May. Please don't say Brayshaw, who has become a byword for damage control. He's been retired since February. Windsor, granted, is a miss too.

People aren't falling over themselves to feel good about a 2 point loss because we did it in the most suffocatingly boring way possible. 100 points scored total on a beautiful night for footy. The only way we can get near a win against good opposition is to strangle teams. We're 13th in round 21, when the club was going full boar for a flag this year. The message has changed from Goodwin and co because they know that acknowledging their failure could see them in the gun. I'm not going to fall for the PR, nor will I infantilise a group full of Premiership stars who've forgotten how to play footy. That team last night had FOUR players who have played under 50 games, and one of them is McVee.

Agree, look at the Cats who have missed finals twice in 17 years as they haven’t bottomed out but find ways to trade in good talent and attract great free agents, apart from the young talent we have drafted who are good how have we improved our list via the trades… zip!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

It will be interesting to see the type of players we draft and trade for next year. Is Goody a suitable coach for fast attacking footy? We know he can coach the contested grind with the right list but is that where it ends for him?

I think he definitely can. 2018 we were ripping but we had Milkshake kicking inside 50 5 times a game.  Attacking gus and Jordan Lewis through the midfield.  Tmac and Hogan genuine forwards who could take more than 4 marks a game. The game plan should reflect and adapt  to the players strengths. Not the other way around. 

That's why I think we're in a huge pickle. It took half a decade to cultivate this list.  It's going to take a lot more than one or two draft picks or trading season to change the DNA of the way we play. I hope the FD now realise.   I think I prefer to see us double down on defence and contest otherwise we will be mid table for a number of years.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Megatron said:

To sub Van Rooyen is a sackable offense 

Yeah, how crazy to sub a kid who was clearly gassed,and had

- a player rating bested only by hore and the sub 

- 25 supercoach points

- 8 disposals at 25% efficiency (meaning only 2 of his disposals were effective)

- only three marks on a perfect night for footy

- no hit outs

- one score involvement

- only 5 pressure acts

- zero tackles on a night where we had 18 tackles inside our 50 (probably our season high)

- and as our key forward had one shot at goal for the grand total of no goals and no points.

But sure, let's sack the coach for subbing him.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, sue said:

I've only read a few bits of this thread, but I was amazed at the negativity of some.  Sure we made mistakes and skill errors etc.  So how did Port, flying high towards a possible flag, only just beat us by 2 points? They must be [censored] too.     GWS likewise.

You are so right Suesio  too many negative nellies on here.We have been beaten by points against top 8 sides I think we are better than some on here think,even with a weakened line up .Would have won last night if Tracc was in and Oliver decided to try. Bowey ,May, Spargo,Tracc all out and i reckon Lever is playing hurt

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

JVR has some good traits but a lot of very ordinary ones for a key forward as well, not sure we can bank on him being our key forward for the next 10 years just yet 

He’s physical, aggressive, willing to have a run in the ruck, mostly a good set shot. The perfect solid number 2 to a genuine star but lacks the leap, pace, quick thinking to be the guy.

• Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Bowserpower said:

Someone clearly sponsors the guy

I remember some time back that posters were in the "ANB is a dud" camp.

To me Chandler is that sort of player,realistically he is only playing his 2nd full year, so there is a lot of upside. He is our leading tackler in the FWD line , so has closing speed ( ANB type !!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pirlo said:

A really honest assessment of this group would say that Windsor, JVR and McVee look like real prime talents - although JVR's second form slump of the season has me concerned when other young forwards are finding a way to kick 3 every other week. Making him ruckman for a fortnight after his best patch of the year was robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Rivers and Pickett obviously stars, but they'll be in year six next year and can't really be considered young guns in the build.

Bowey has barely had a good game in two years. Rubbish by foot at the moment and has a lot of work to do if he doesn't want to continue the slow journey towards Casey.

Turner has some good assets. Sticky hands and a good kick at goal. Fades in and out of games too much at this point.

Moniz-Wakefield has dash. No idea why people are pencilling him in as some star though. Was getting the ball 10-15 times off the flank in his first few games and doesn't seem damaging by foot. Lots to work on, but has some tools to develop.

Tholstrup has a huge amount of work to do. In my eyes, he has no obvious strengths at AFL level. He had some form in the VFL where he'd win clearances and kick goals on the run, but he's showed neither of those at AFL level yet. Not pencilling him in by any means but obviously hope he comes good.

Woey could maybe be a player long term. Good endurance runner, brave and actually has an eye for goal on the run. Again, lots would have to go right because he isn't taking his chances just now.

Jeffo - who knows. Much better back half of the year for Casey and should be playing AFL this weekend.

Brown - great tackler. The coaches don't have much faith, but I'd love to see more.

Howes looked good early in the year, but has looked lost at sea since he was dropped after the Eagles game whenever he's come in. Don't think he's a defender, but don't know where else he'd shine either. I've been a fan, but am concerned.

Couldn’t argue against any points.. spot on..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dimmy said:

I remember some time back that posters were in the "ANB is a dud" camp.

To me Chandler is that sort of player,realistically he is only playing his 2nd full year, so there is a lot of upside. He is our leading tackler in the FWD line , so has closing speed ( ANB type !!)

Great pressure player

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boots and all said:

2018 was pretty fast and attacking

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

Yeah, how crazy to sub a kid who was clearly gassed,and had

- a player rating bested only by hore and the sub 

- 25 supercoach points

- 8 disposals at 25% efficiency (meaning only 2 of his disposals were effective)

- only three marks on a perfect night for footy

- no hit outs

- one score involvement

- only 5 pressure acts

- zero tackles on a night where we had 18 tackles inside our 50 (probably our season high)

- and as our key forward had one shot at goal for the grand total of no goals and no points.

But sure, let's sack the coach for subbing him.

You don’t sub your best key forward. He’s capable of banging 2-3 goals in one qtr, while also being our best relief ruckman. It leaves too much on Gawns shoulders. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I had Turner, Oliver, Fritsch and Kolt as my preferred options.

I know Turner started well but he faded incredibly bad in the 2nd half. He needs a big off season to improve his fitness because I think we see glimpse of what he was able to produce in the first half with some of his contested marking but when we needed someone to stand up in the last quarter to take a mark or two he was invincible. 

Like all young players these are good experiences for them to take into the pre season and really work hard on the deficiencies. 

Turner looks more dangerous as a running marking forward rather than a pack mark type the same as Petty is that's why we need a good forward teaching coach.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Now I aint no expert on turning over a list but I look at Hawthorn who won multiple flags getting in Franklin and co. all around the same time.
Now they've aggressively turned over that list not being afraid to send their champs to other clubs and again have a bunch of kids coming through together looking very promising.

Took them 10 years. And there's no evidence that the current list is anything but promising.

42 minutes ago, Megatron said:

You don’t sub your best key forward. He’s capable of banging 2-3 goals in one qtr, while also being our best relief ruckman. It leaves too much on Gawns shoulders. 

How many time in his career has he "bang(ed) 2-3 goals in one quarter"?

2 hours ago, Pirlo said:

Enjoy being glass half empty if that excites you. Of course Brayshaw's loss is still a major issue. Not only a top premiership player, 3rd in the Brownlow but we had no opportunity to replace him. To a lesser extent the same with Smith. No star but easily our best forward in last year's final series. I found the game a fascinating watch with high pressure applied. If 20 goals each is your thing good luck to you. Pointless listing all the things that have gone wrong for us this as you'll only shoot them down. 

• Like 3