What was your excuse?

35 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

To not have players who can play attacking Football is a blight on the Recruiting Staff and Coaches. This has been going on for Seasons now. 
If you are satisfied with last night’s standard of game, that’s up too you. Personally i think the Club has strangled itself over the last 3 years, and i hate seeing it. 
Last night we dragged Port down to a low level of game. 
Doesn’t satisfy me at all

Had the game on our terms and still didnt win, that was nothing like how Port wanted to play and they beat us. Its amazing how many of these games we lose when the game is on our terms aka low scoring contest defense [censored]. So even for the guys saying I dont care how we win, that doesnt hold up. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

46 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

We tried changing the game style earlier in the season. It was very obvious we tried playing more attacking but we don’t have the players to play that style. 

We beat Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Port in Adelaide earlier in the year. How did we go vs the Dogs and Port the second time around while playing the style we are apparently more suited to?  Predicability kills you, if you dont keep evolving you get left behind. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheDemon said:

Had the game on our terms and still didnt win, that was nothing like how Port wanted to play and they beat us. Its amazing how many of these games we lose when the game is on our terms aka low scoring contest defense [censored]. So even for the guys saying I dont care how we win, that doesnt hold up. 

Agreed. Even a seriously defensive game still needs some flair in it to seize opportunities. 
We can’t do it 

4 times this year we lose by under a goal 

Goodwin must learn to attack when the moments arise, and all this talk about our players being down on basic skills is disgraceful 

Who has allowed that too happen….??

• Like 4

8 hours ago, djr said:

Our "horrible brand of football" almost beat the 2nd and 3rd placed teams over the past 3 weeks. And this is with a banged-up team made up of youngsters.

Of right we are back to honourable losses are we?

The brand sucks and the fan base is voting with their feet. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

7 hours ago, layzie said:

Sure, but how many of these clubs go sub 20k at the G on a Sat night when they are still technically in the running for finals? 

There's a bare minimum and I don't feel we are reaching it. I'd rather not start getting Docklands home games as a result of it, the health of the club is important.

I can’t see the AFL scheduling us at Docklands where even less of our supporters would turn up…

1 hour ago, BringBackTheDemon said:

True.. was  at the game.. I would say that even a Windsor would have got us over the line ., 

10 hours ago, ex52k2 said:

As to the finances, we would have had to write a cheque to the MCC for not getting a break even crowd. Approx 20000 people, we pay or collect approx $10.00 for each above or below that figure. So in the last two home games we would have had to pay approx. $50000.

Another point which I am much more afraid  of both carlton and essendon want more games at the G. Which clubs attendance do you think lends itself to being moved to docklands, to enable more home games for the above teams?

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/dees-to-marvel.1385443/

Its only a matter of time until some in the media (particularly those with Carlton and Essendon agendas) start pushing this. They want more home games at the G and someone needs to make way for them by playing home games at Docklands.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Its only a matter of time until some in the media (particularly those with Carlton and Essendon agendas) start pushing this. They want more home games at the G and someone needs to make way for them by playing home games at Docklands.

Hawthorn too - they have to bring their four Tasmania games back to Melbourne soon.

As I’ve said before, if you withhold attendance to make some sort of point, or because you think attending games should only occur if we’re playing high scoring football, you’re killing the club. We won’t withstand these sorts of narratives forever. 

• Like 4

I hate this thread. I don't get to all the games anymore. Life has changed.

Ive been to the last few though. It was really disheartening looking around and seeing most of the stadium empty. I don't blame others like this thread does, but the club needs to boost attendances somehow, or the AFL will change things for us.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well it won’t be Melbourne. MCG is our home ground. Every other team are just tenants.

I was there last night and it was disappointing and fwiw the 17,800 - odd crowd attendance figure included the 6,500 seagulls! 

Edited by H_T
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It’s only a matter of time until some in the media (particularly those with Carlton and Essendon agendas) start pushing this. They want more home games at the G and someone needs to make way for them by playing home games at Docklands.

Moving to Marvel won’t solve a thing. We would have had 15k if it was there. As I said in an earlier post, the whole problem is the time slots for these interstate games. Not even Collingwood plays interstate teams at home on a Saturday night. They play all of them in an afternoon slot. I suspect the club has something to do with these night game schedules and we need to abandon them asap. We had 32k against the Eagles on a Sunday afternoon. It would have been 25k if it was a Saturday night. Pert needs to lobby for us to have all our home games against interstate teams to be an afternoon slot next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sisso said:

I can’t see the AFL scheduling us at Docklands where even less of our supporters would turn up…

Problem is that there are other clubs with supporters who would show up if they were scheduled at the G. 29k turned up to Marvel for Essendon v GC...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Moving to Marvel won’t solve a thing. We would have had 15k if it was there. As I said in an earlier post, the whole problem is the time slots for these interstate games. Not even Collingwood plays interstate teams at home on a Saturday night. They play all of them in an afternoon slot. I suspect the club has something to do with these night game schedules and we need to abandon them asap. We had 32k against the Eagles on a Sunday afternoon. It would have been 25k if it was a Saturday night. Pert needs to lobby for us to have all our home games against interstate teams to be an afternoon slot next year.

Agree the time slots are rubbish. At least this week it was not arctic weather but the previous MCG match I shivered through the game.

We won't have to worry about those times next year. We'll have Hawthorn's schedule and watching yesterday's sunny Sunday game looked like football should.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, H_T said:

Well it won’t be Melbourne. MCG is our home ground. Every other team are just tenants.

This is both wishful thinking and an entitled mindset that is a large part of the problems our club has faced over many decades.

3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I agree night games vs interstate sides aren't great but if we were playing for top 4 against the Giants and Port as the AFL thought when scheduling these games we would've had much better crowds, probably around 35k.

I disagree that moving us to Marvel won't solve a thing. Of course you are correct, it won't solve a thing for the MFC but it will solve problems for the AFL who want to maximise overall crowds and for Carlton and Essendon who want more home games at the G.

• Like 2

They can't move Melbourne to Marvel, the club would fold if that happens. We rely heavily on our MCC members and the fabric of the club would be destroyed.

The problem is not just the fan base. The problem is that people are sick of watching us play the same boring brand of football and playing players out of position.

I know plenty people are refusing to go because Petty is playing as a forward and that's their right.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is both wishful thinking and an entitled mindset that is a large part of the problems our club has faced over many decades.

I agree night games vs interstate sides aren't great but if we were playing for top 4 against the Giants and Port as the AFL thought when scheduling these games we would've had much better crowds, probably around 35k.

I disagree that moving us to Marvel won't solve a thing. Of course you are correct, it won't solve a thing for the MFC but it will solve problems for the AFL who want to maximise overall crowds and for Carlton and Essendon who want more home games at the G.

Out of curiosity I went to see what the other Melbourne vs Port crowd figures have been like at the G, not much to go by unfortunately as we usually send this game to the NT.   I think that was the first time we've played them at the G under lights. Here are the last 5

2024 R22 - Saturday Night - 17,867
2019 R1 - Saturday Arvo - 38,866 (opening round optimism after 2018 finals run and friendly timeslot)
2017 R18 - Saturday Arvo  27,068
2013 R1 - Sunday Arvo - 22,924
2009 R15 - Sunday Arvo - 15,888 (yikes era)

16 minutes ago, roy11 said:

2013 R1 - Sunday Arvo - 22,924
2009 R15 - Sunday Arvo - 15,888 (yikes era)

This made me involuntarily dry retch.
What a shambles.
No wonder we sent this game to the NT.

25 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

I know plenty people are refusing to go because Petty is playing as a forward and that's their right.

It is their right of course, but it's also a ridiculous reason not to attend a game.

Are people refusing to go because Rivers is playing midfield? Or because TMac is back in defense? 

I understand that sometimes we don't play the most exciting brand of footy, but if we were playing the exact same way and winning and contesting for a flag this year, we would get the crowd numbers. 

The rest are just excuses. Our fans stop turning up when we stop winning. It's never been any different. 

• Clap 2

41 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

They can't move Melbourne to Marvel, the club would fold if that happens. We rely heavily on our MCC members and the fabric of the club would be destroyed.

The problem is not just the fan base. The problem is that people are sick of watching us play the same boring brand of football and playing players out of position.

Wait are you actually serious with this statement? Fascinating. How many is plenty?

This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard this season. Only supporter base I know that would do something so immature is Carlton.

Should I contact the club and tell them we're losing fans at games due to Petty being played at CHF? If its plenty they might want to know.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

Winter Saturday night games are the worst, with the season effectively done it’s silly to think many will turn up when there is so many other options that are more enjoyable. I’d love if dees were a club where fans turned up rain hail or shine but like we have seen even tigers and a 100k members they have had some horrible crowds to so what chance do we have. We have more options than ever for entertainment and there needs to be a compelling product if you want the fans to come.

Edited by Garbo
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

It is their right of course, but it's also a ridiculous reason not to attend a game.

Are people refusing to go because Rivers is playing midfield? Or because TMac is back in defense? 

I understand that sometimes we don't play the most exciting brand of footy, but if we were playing the exact same way and winning and contesting for a flag this year, we would get the crowd numbers. 

The rest are just excuses. Our fans stop turning up when we stop winning. It's never been any different. 

Comment on Rivers and Tmac is irrelevant because they are both playing good footy after being moved. Petty keeps being [censored] and the coach is now to blame for this. Our fans stop turning up when it gets too hard to go to a game, ie too cold, too wet, too late at night, too early in the day and then more drop off when we stop winning. We are and always have been a fickle fan base.

4 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Wait are you actually serious with this statement? Fascinating. How many is plenty?

This is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard this season. Only supporter base I know that would do something so immature is Carlton.

Should I contact the club and tell them we're losing fans at games due to Petty being played at CHF? If its plenty they might want to know.

Yep, 8 blokes who normally are locks to go to games refused on Saturday because of goodwin picking favourites like petty and sparrow and then playing them out of position. They aren't the only ones.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, FearTheBeard said:

Comment on Rivers and Tmac is irrelevant because they are both playing good footy after being moved. Petty keeps being [censored] and the coach is now to blame for this. Our fans stop turning up when it gets too hard to go to a game, ie too cold, too wet, too late at night, too early in the day and then more drop off when we stop winning. We are and always have been a fickle fan base.

Yep, 8 blokes who normally are locks to go to games refused on Saturday because of goodwin picking favourites like petty and sparrow and then playing them out of position. They aren't the only ones.

Are those 8 blokes aware that he's coming back from a serious injury and has had no pre-season?

He might be just as poor playing defensively if he's struggling with his foot, except playing forward he is less costly when he's out of form than playing as a defender. 

Besides if those 8 fans came on Saturday night, they would have seen Petty play really well and take some very good marks playing up forward.

You summed it up when you said our fan base is fickle. That's all there is to it, they pick and choose when to show up based solely on ladder position. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1