Oliver Trade Rumours

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Clarry has in his fragile state of mind completely interrupted this as a positron (and sort of like a drowning man) sees the Cats lifeline as his greener pasture. 

As Chris Cornell sung, "Well someone let the dogs out
They'll show you where the truth is
The grass is always greener
Where the dogs are [censored]
Oh yeah"

If Clarry goes to Geelong let's hope the pastures are greener for him in the dung filled fields of Corio.

• Love 1

Just now, Lexinator said:

As Chris Cornell sung, "Well someone let the dogs out
They'll show you where the truth is
The grass is always greener
Where the dogs are [censored]
Oh yeah"

If Clarry goes to Geelong let's hope the pastures are greener for him in the dung filled fields of Corio.

But Geelong are the cats. Dogs are in Footscray.

• Clap 1

21 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Of course the star. He’s had many more years of being a star, than being just an ok player. 
He had a poor year mainly due to his lack of fitness and injuries, where he still was firmly in our best 22. 

If we were trading him and getting a good player in return, that’s an entirely different proposition. But to trade him for very little, is a catastrophic list management decision that should come as the absolute very last resort. Not after 18 bad months in a career of 8 years that’s been a roaring success. 

And by the way, if people think Clarry has gone from a Bible study nerd to a problem child in the last 18 months, then they’re wrong. He’s always had challenges, even when he was winning back to back AAs, B&Fs and coaches awards. 

It was the one thing I was hanging onto.

I was much more towards not trading Oliver under any circumstances but I do believe players have their price as well and godfather offers do need to be listened to from time to time. In the back of my mind I always thought that if it came down to losing one of our stars like Clarry, then we would at least be able to cash in for very good compensation. I would still have been annoyed but I would have understood the club's position if this kind of deal were brokered.

But the fact that we've shown our hand and are dripping with desperation to move him, how much leverage do we really have now? A generational talent up there with the likes of the midfielders that  you and I got to watch at other clubs tear us up repeatedly over the years, offloaded for next to nothing. Even if this is fixing some kind of culture problem at the club it will set us back significantly from a list management and we will have to wait at least a few years to see if it was a good move or not. Very hard to sell hope to the members with a strategy like that.

I'm sure there is more to how it has all transpired but as I said last night: If everything was going ok under the club's watch, with the people who work with him everyday, meeting his objectives right up until the review which suddenly unearthed vital info that he's a cancer on the club and the playing group, then this club is run by some real delusional morons.

I'm sure people will question this and wonder if this was just the case all year and kept under wraps but then I'd ask why his captain said to the media last month that he was keen to get Clarry up to QLD for training camp to get a head start on pre season. Maybe they lie, who knows. 

#cluster****

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Genuine laughing stock we are.

Can't wait to go through another year of Clayton Oliver distraction and noise. Which player is on baby sitting duties next year? 

But you do you Melbourne. 

Maybe the problem is not having a player who needs babysitting, but a club that doesn't know how to babysit. 

You and I know very well that there are dozens of players across the league currently being babysat by their clubs. Including at Geelong, who are opening their doors to Bailey Smith, who believe me, is as much of a distraction machine as Clarry is. 
But if Pies can babysit De Goey, Hawks can babysit Ginnivan, and GWS were able to turn around Hogan, then Melbourne should be able to handle Clarry. 

• Like 10

Honestly, we are an embarrassment at the moment. Two years in a row we've shopped Clayton around, and now it looks like it's getting shut down again. And so now we're all just meant to pretend like Clayton is a beloved player at the club and that everything is fine. Can't wait to see another hostage interview like they did with Tracc where Clayton explains how he's excited for the season blah blah.

• Like 3

I was told at the beginning of 2021 specifically from a former player (hasn't been at the club for a 2-3 years now) Oliver is big, big trouble.  He is treated differently to everyone else simply because he is a good player. If others were to do some of the things he does, they would be treated very differently.  He mentioned that one day when Oliver was behaving poorly, he gave it to him straight....yet Oliver wasn't the one reprimanded, it was Goodwin who spoke with this particular player and said "you can't talk to Clayton like that, we have to be careful with him". 

I would say enough is enough.  He clearly is massive trouble and has a huge contract.  Let go of getting compensated fairly based on his playing ability alone.  It's the whole package you must look at, his character is highly questionable and his contract will haunt us for years to come if he stays.

I'm guessing here, and this is just my opinion, but we have heard Petracca isn't upset with Oliver, but more with the way the club has handled him. I would say this is consistent with the above - they have had rules for him, and rules for others.  

It also was backed up by the infamous Pert / Goodwin interview where they said we've tolerated things and he will now be held accountable for his actions.  

Overall a good move by the MFC I say. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Maybe the problem is not having a player who needs babysitting, but a club that doesn't know how to babysit. 

You and I know very well that there are dozens of players across the league currently being babysat by their clubs. Including at Geelong, who are opening their doors to Bailey Smith, who believe me, is as much of a distraction machine as Clarry is. 
But if Pies can babysit De Goey, Hawks can babysit Ginnivan, and GWS were able to turn around Hogan, then Melbourne should be able to handle Clarry. 

He's been a handful for the footy club and the players for the past couple of years.

The club has gone way above and beyond more then anyone on the playing list. It's no wonder the players are completely fed up with him because he simply won't learn or take responsibility for his actions and behaviours. 

How about for once Oliver takes responsibility for his own actions and start acting like a grown adult for once in his life.

He's 27, not an 18 year old kid.

Paying a guy pretty much 1 million a year to take the absolute [censored] out of the system sums it all up.

There is an absolutely no way anyone  can accuse the footy club for its lack of support because if anything the club has supported him to the tilt.

He literally had to live with the Gawns this year because the club cannot trust him off field.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Not all challenges people face are the same are they?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

There is an absolutely no way you can accuse the footy club for its lack of support because if anything the club has supported him to the tilt.

He literally had to live with the Gawns this year because the club cannot trust him off field.

I never accused them of not supporting him. I know they supported him. But those are two different things.

Managing someone like Clarry and not letting it be a distraction, a media sensation, or cause division in the team, is a skill that some clubs have and some don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WiseDeeMan said:

I'm guessing here, and this is just my opinion, but we have heard Petracca isn't upset with Oliver, but more with the way the club has handled him. I would say this is consistent with the above - they have had rules for him, and rules for others.  

The things we've heard about Petracca's concerns around the Oliver stuff aren't clear at all. The way I see it, the concern might be one of a few things, each of which are very different:

- maybe he's not happy with how we may have let Oliver get away with more than we perhaps should have for too long

- maybe he's not happy with the way Oliver has applied himself

- maybe he's not happy with the dumb way the club tried to 'scare' Oliver into line last year.

If it's the third one above, he'll probably be loving what we've gone and done this week! We just looked like a joke doing it last year, and we look even worse this year.

Just now, rufus said:

The things we've heard about Petracca's concerns around the Oliver stuff aren't clear at all. The way I see it, the concern might be one of a few things, each of which are very different:

- maybe he's not happy with how we may have let Oliver get away with more than we perhaps should have for too long

- maybe he's not happy with the way Oliver has applied himself

- maybe he's not happy with the dumb way the club tried to 'scare' Oliver into line last year.

If it's the third one above, he'll probably be loving what we've gone and done this week! We just looked like a joke doing it last year, and we look even worse this year.

Agree Rufus - ps Great band Rufus!

52 minutes ago, praha said:

One bad season after...

4 B&F

2x AFLCA awards

3x All-Australian

2x Coaches MVP

List goes on...

And before he turned 26.

Also he played a full season after no pre-season. And still averaged above average stats for a midfielder. After being "Elite" in every category for most of his career.

Insanity how quickly people both internally and externally are jumping off one of the all time greats after one bad season.

And all for a bag of chips!!!

It'll free up space.... and space for another person.

WHO??!! 

Clarry is a jet and has clearly required extra attention. Provided it does not unduly divide the group, and they can find some common ground, and work towards a common goal in 2025, together, HE STAYS!! Wins the ball for us, not the Cats. Stuff that. 

9 minutes ago, WiseDeeMan said:

I was told at the beginning of 2021 specifically from a former player (hasn't been at the club for a 2-3 years now) Oliver is big, big trouble.  He is treated differently to everyone else simply because he is a good player. If others were to do some of the things he does, they would be treated very differently.  He mentioned that one day when Oliver was behaving poorly, he gave it to him straight....yet Oliver wasn't the one reprimanded, it was Goodwin who spoke with this particular player and said "you can't talk to Clayton like that, we have to be careful with him". 

Heard the same, from a very well known and highly regarded former player who left the club following the 2021 flag. Gawn and Petracca are very much in alignment over the way the Oliver "issues" have been allowed to fester over a period of time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I never accused them of not supporting him. I know they supported him. But those are two different things.

Managing someone like Clarry and not letting it be a distraction, a media sensation, or cause division in the team, is a skill that some clubs have and some don't.

No I didn't mean you sorry, and I've gone back and edited that part.

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Its clear he was given too much leeway for too long before football was taken away.

His challenges are significant. and require ongoing management.

There is no off the shelf one size fits all process for dealing with each individuals unique challenges.

Managing Oliver's challenges would be a challenge for any club.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, praha said:

One bad season after...

4 B&F

2x AFLCA awards

3x All-Australian

2x Coaches MVP

List goes on...

And before he turned 26.

Also he played a full season after no pre-season. And still averaged above average stats for a midfielder. After being "Elite" in every category for most of his career.

Insanity how quickly people both internally and externally are jumping off one of the all time greats after one bad season.

Great efforts no doubt, if a club offered me 2 top 10 picks I would jump at it.  Nothing to do with a bad season, it is how he prepared for the season.

I also don't believe we can win another flag with our current midfield.  You need to plan for the Tassie Drafts, Oliver had trade currency although that seems extremely diminished now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

No I didn't mean you sorry, and I've gone back and edited that part.

It’s ok. I understand where you’re coming from. Trust me nobody is more aware of Clarry’s issues. 

Whichever way you look at it tho, the club has handled this appallingly. It’s just another f up in a long list of f ups from the management team of this club. Which has why I keep saying that getting rid of Clarry, doesn’t magically fix all that is broken at this club. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KozzyCan said:

We got cold feet when we saw how [censored] the deal was. 

Surely you get an indication of what the other party is willing to pay before you go and tell a player to have a look around. I'm not having a go at you by the way, just that this whole process and the way it has been orchestrated by the club is an absolute [censored] show. I'm all for having honest discussions with players and so forth, but how could the club allow Clarry to go and have a chat to Geelong knowing they had sweet F All to offer? The stupidity and incompetence is bewildering.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, WiseDeeMan said:

I would say enough is enough.  He clearly is massive trouble and has a huge contract.  Let go of getting compensated fairly based on his playing ability alone.  It's the whole package you must look at, his character is highly questionable and his contract will haunt us for years to come if he stays.

It also was backed up by the infamous Pert / Goodwin interview where they said we've tolerated things and he will now be held accountable for his actions.  

Overall a good move by the MFC I say. 

27 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Heard the same, from a very well known and highly regarded former player who left the club following the 2021 flag. Gawn and Petracca are very much in alignment over the way the Oliver "issues" have been allowed to fester over a period of time. 

2021, eh?

So that’s before we signed him to a 7 year million dollar contract that is now the noose around our necks in trying to do what you both are implying is the right thing to do?

• Like 3