Oliver Trade Rumours

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

fwiw trevor nisbett is widely regarded as one of the best ceo's the competition has ever had

has been ceo at meth coke since 1999; he's finishing up there this year - he started at the club in 1989

There are always exceptions to the rule. Nesbitt is clearly a one-club person whose dedication comes from a profound connection. Pert is - as it would seem - a professional “AFL” CEO who we imported from a cultural wasteland. 

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I’m sorry but that’s plain rubbish. Sounds like he got toasted at the Brownlow and skipped several appointments. If anyone’s feeling wounded it’d be his backers at the club. The media are full of 💩

This is the third post today by Jay Clark that has left me wondering, who does Jay Clark work for, Geelong FC or Clayton Oliver’s management.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Oxdee said:

Blaming the media for this is a stretch 

I reckon you could make a fair case that DH's like Sam Manure deliberately seek to cause disruption. You only had to see their disappointment when CPL came back into the fold. Are they fully responsible? Absolutely not. But they are very keen to destabilize the club.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

It's no surprise that a lot of the issues about and surrounding Clarry correspond to the time he gets his first significant injury (and the loss of structure and routine that comes from that).

Also no surprise that these issues arise in off-season.

And just in regards to all this: seeing what we've seen over the last 18 months I'd be surprised if Oliver can make it through the remaining 6 years of his contract, regardless of where he's playing.

• Like 3

All just a bit sad really. Sad that our club is in the headlines and that we appear to be somewhat rudderless, sad that we've reached this point with one of our best players (ever), sad that we won't be compensated properly for the trade, sad that the team we're trading to will only get stronger, sad that we only get weaker. Can it be saved from here?

Certainly keen to hear exactly whats changed in the last week as Clarry was very happy on the podcast to get stuck into preseason as early as possible and re-join the club/team mates. And all seemed okay in terms of club messaging. All we can do is wait (and click refresh).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

It’s incredible how much the media drive the narrative to the point where marginal possibilities become self fulfilling prophecies 

Reminds me of the time Todd Viney came out to rule out that we had approached Luke Parker before saying that once they did tell Sydney they were not the source of the story, they decided they may as well ask the question...

1 minute ago, Mel Bourne said:

There are always exceptions to the rule. Nesbitt is clearly a one-club person whose dedication comes from a profound connection. Pert is - as it would seem - a professional “AFL” CEO who we imported from a cultural wasteland. 

i guess - no different to greg swann or brian cook or benny gale or craig vozzo etc

pert had 10 years at the filth for a decade after being the ceo of austereo and then in a senior exec position at channel 9

under his tenure they rose, won a premiership, fell again - but were one of the two or three most powerful and successful off-field sides in the competition

he's been with us since 2018, and seen us rise, win a premiership, and dipped badly in 2024 - we're yet to see if it's a blip or a long term fall - and has overseen record memberships and a genuine drive for two home bases at casey and now caulfield

do i think he's a particularly awesome ceo? not really

do i think he's a particlarly awful ceo? not really 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

The part I dont get is why Geelong? Did Pert choose them? Why would we be bolstering a potential rival or are we just throwing our hands in the air and admitting the window is shut at least for now?

To say we’ve had enough of Clarry is one thing. To use him as a pawn in a game of power struggle between the CEO/board and the FD, in some deluded attempt to be seen as “getting serious about our culture” is another. 

You can’t ask someone who’s struggling with serious health issues to sort themselves out, but then hold every small indiscretion against them along the way. Recovery is never linear. You either accept them, warts and all, or you don’t. 

But you absolutely do not dangle them like they’re a piece of meat at an all you can eat buffet, for your own convenience. We can’t keep throwing him on the table and threaten to give him away. We are like the boy who cried wolf at this point. 

Hard to find a more shambolic football club than this one  

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

The part I dont get is why Geelong? Did Pert choose them? Why would we be bolstering a potential rival or are we just throwing our hands in the air and admitting the window is shut at least for now?

Either

1. Pert knew Jeelong were tracking him already, so decided to call who he knew was already interested (both lazy and incompetent, given the Cats lack of picks)

or

2. We did do the rounds, and it's Jeelong and only Jeelong who were keen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old55 said:

The trade value Geelong gives and the amount of salary cap they pay are inversely proportional.

Decent draft pick and we pick up substantial salary

Later draft pick and they pay all the salary

I'd probably rather take a trade value hit than a salary cap hit,  but both have long term implications, a good draftee can give 12 years service.

With potential relief from Brayshaw and ANB leaving the club probably already has a fair bit of room in the years ahead.  Adding 1.3mln to the pool is great and all but only if we think we can grab a player that will make a huge difference for a flag.  But the club doesnt seem to be a destination right now.  Otherwise we'll end up just overpaying the current players which is not a great scenario either.  

We can afford to pay 300k or 400k of his salary for an extra future first or second in my opinion.   

• Like 1

I must admit I haven’t followed the Clarry situation all that closely as it all makes me pretty flat. But someone told me today that Clarry has not got the message and does not appear to be keen to turn his career around at Melbourne- so what choice do we have but to move him on. Sacrifice one to save the rest!

Agree with most we should have handle the media better, but the media appear to know more that our coach and have a direct line to the club gossip department.

We move Oliver, we get the best we can in return, we keep Trac and start to stabilise our culture. It’s painful, but it might be the only way forward.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

i guess - no different to greg swann or brian cook or benny gale or craig vozzo etc

pert had 10 years at the filth for a decade after being the ceo of austereo and then in a senior exec position at channel 9

under his tenure they rose, won a premiership, fell again - but were one of the two or three most powerful and successful off-field sides in the competition

he's been with us since 2018, and seen us rise, win a premiership, and dipped badly in 2024 - we're yet to see if it's a blip or a long term fall - and has overseen record memberships and a genuine drive for two home bases at casey and now caulfield

do i think he's a particularly awesome ceo? not really

do i think he's a particlarly awful ceo? not really 

I was of the same opinion only just a couple of days ago. 

As for his CV….Austereo, CH. 9 and the Collingwood FC. 

Yeah it would seem “cultural cancer” is the guy’s specialty. 

• Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

The issue is that they know much more about the situation and understand much more about football than our supporter base. You need to give them the benefit of the doubt because most here are just part time analysts 

Don’t be silly, everyone on here knows exactly what’s happening and why it confirms their existing views about whether it’s Pert or Goody or both that need to be sacked immediately 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, reynolds46 said:

Can the club just withdraw from the AFL and enter a team in the amateurs?

Remember we are the only club where an ex-player told the world that we did in fact tank and how we did it so that the AFL couldnt let it go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Don’t be silly, everyone on here knows exactly what’s happening and why it confirms their existing views about whether it’s Pert or Goody or both that need to be sacked immediately 

Oh please don't speak for all of us. I do not know exactly whats happening, nor do I believe that Pert or Goody should be sacked.

I'm certainly not basing any of my understanding or opinions on media speculation or assumptions that keep being made by posters here.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

23 minutes ago, reynolds46 said:

Can the club just withdraw from the AFL and enter a team in the amateurs?

How would we attract players if we can't subsidised the private school fees as many clubs do in that league?

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

I reckon you could make a fair case that DH's like Sam Manure deliberately seek to cause disruption. You only had to see their disappointment when CPL came back into the fold. Are they fully responsible? Absolutely not. But they are very keen to destabilize the club.

Media been trying to destabilize the club for 2 years now. Scum.

• Like 5