Oliver Trade Rumours

It stuns me that people think that once Oliver shifts across to Geelong he will then win the Brownlow, be finals MVP, win a premiership etc….

Oliver clearly has issues and I doubt even a good culture can eradicate the problems he has. I believe he’s on a slippery slope and won’t get back to his once dominant self. He has already peaked.

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

True, But we had emerging superstars in Trac and Clarrie, Gawn was at his best and so was May and Lever.

I take what you are saying and I know I should have some hope/trust in the club, but F-Me its realllllllllllllly hard right now.

It feels like a real rock and hard place moment.

It is reminding me of Charles Haley, one of the great defensive ends in the NFL who helped the 49ers win two superbowls. He had some serious demons and some of his behaviour was just flat out disgusting towards the end of his time in San Francisco, the players had honestly had enough and the GM and coach felt the situation was untenable. 

Meanwhile the Dallas Cowboys and Jimmy Johnson needed a defensive end and felt they could help Haley and work with him to better himself, they went on to win 3 Superbowls in the 90s with Haley being a crucial part of that. The balance of power in the NFC almost shifted with that one trade.

The point of this is that you sometimes find yourself as a club in these crud situations. We may have a very good reason to move Clayton on, but there is that possibility that the fresh start and a change of scenery could see him back to his best and help the Cats win another flag. I would be hoping that doesn't happen and from a cynical side that he doesn't reach the heights he did with us but if it does help to improve our culture.. Ah it's too heartbreaking to think about this right now.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wow!! I didn’t realise Oliver is on $1.5m per year… that’s huge dollars. If the dees were to offload him they would be paying half his salary for 6 years. I can’t see this happening unless they believe he will never be the same player again and they are better off cutting their losses 

8 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Currently we’re not being well run and my guess is although Oliver has a large share of the blame here the club appears to have allowed him more leniency that has served useful. 

But it’s not that easy is it, you’re saying the club has been too lenient but there’s plenty on here saying the club needs to be more lenient and keep him - club can’t win here except make the best of a bad situation they didn’t create.

As good as he’s been he needs to sort his own life out and the club can only do so much. If he can’t get a handle on it living at Max’s place what more can they do?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

So why would we expect 2025 to improve his value if he hasn’t changed his ways or lived up to what he said he’d do? More likely that next year just tanks his value more - club seems to be thinking it’s time to cut losses and move on

Too right,

and why in that case should he receive all of his $1,000,000 + salary next year?

1 minute ago, Oxdee said:

Wow!! I didn’t realise Oliver is on $1.5m per year… that’s huge dollars. If the dees were to offload him they would be paying half his salary for 6 years. I can’t see this happening unless they believe he will never be the same player again and they are better off cutting their losses 

It's not where the deal started. The TPP has gone up and Oliver gets his slice of that.

With things like the Mac Andrew deal and Saints offeering 900k a year to Leek Aleer I don't think that sort of money is as eye-watering as it used to be.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Other clubs have...

We are not other clubs...

Just a reminder that this club won a grand final followed by 2 x top 4 finishes and a win/loss record of 75%… 

Most ‘Other clubs’ haven't come close to this 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Other clubs can reign in recalcitrants, why cant we? Oh wait on we have such a sensational Culture! Spare me!

There are recalcitrants who's off-field antics brought shame on themselves, but didn't impact their teammates. Stengle and DeGoey come to mind. But from what we are hearing, Oliver's actions has impacted the playing group. And the standards set for Oliver isn't the same as the rest of the team. You can't have that in a club.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Summary:

• Talks at Melbourne on Thursday involving CEO Gary Pert, football boss Alan Richardson, coach Simon Goodwin, and list chief Tim Lamb could decide Oliver's future.
  • Melbourne is considering whether it's best to trade Oliver as part of a cultural and salary cap reset.
  • A trade to Geelong would be challenging as their top pick (15th) is already committed to Western Bulldogs in the Smith deal.
  • Melbourne might target a Geelong player, but key forward Shannon Neale is unlikely to be included after recently breaking into the senior side.
  • Adelaide, who showed interest last year, is not in the mix this year.
  • As recently as this week, Melbourne had planned to keep Oliver, but he's now considering a move to Geelong, being dangled as trade bait for the second year in a row.
  • Pert contacted at least one other club regarding Oliver, with the full support of Melbourne’s list management committee.
  • There are concerns the trade talks may damage the relationship between Oliver and Melbourne, as he's reportedly upset about being considered for a trade again.
  • Oliver is managed by influential agents Paul Connors and Nick Gieschen.
  • Oliver is excited by the prospect of joining Geelong, but the Cats are not actively pushing the trade, leaving the decision in Melbourne's hands.
  • If Melbourne explores the trade, Geelong may offer a future first-round pick, but Melbourne would likely also request a player.
  • The Demons might have to cover part of Oliver’s seven-figure salary if he moves to Geelong.
  • If adequate compensation can't be secured, Melbourne might retain Oliver for another year despite some internal unrest.
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Summary:

• There are concerns the trade talks may damage the relationship between Oliver and Melbourne, as he's reportedly upset about being considered for a trade again.

Does Oliver have any insight into why Melbourne are considering trading him?

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

If Cats are the desired location for Oliver, then what’s the trade ? I heard it could be a future Cats 1st round pick and that’s it, and Dees still paying a decent amount of his contract.  Cats were top 4 and add Bailey Smith. Could be premiership contenders already with or without Our Clarry.  So with academy and father son picks, Cats future 1st would be likely to be say pick 17-21. Ouch. 

A trade seems best

Get him onto the land, fixing fences, looking after some animals - it’s very good for the soul. Well, not in the northern rivers with endless lantana and camphor battles, well-massive brown snakes, angry Angus (Angii?) who’ve been living out the back of Bullamakankee and have never seen a human so keep running through fences necessitating serious investment in hot fences….but I digress, and seriously, it could be good for him.

If he ends up running riot for the cats so be it, if it improves our position. He’s an imperfect human being and none of this seems malicious - unfortunate and immature yes, but not malicious 

let’s do the deal and get cracking - Forward, Never Straight

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

You live and die by these types of catastrophic list management decisions.

If we decide that we need to move on from Clarry, and we give him up for little value, to a direct competitor, then we cannot expect to contend next year or even beyond.

Our window is brief while Gawn, May and Viney are still at their peak. Losing Gus and now Clarry, means that supporters need to massively reset their expectations. 

The same people on here advocating to push him out for the betterment of our culture, will also be the same people who scream "sack Goody" two weeks into season 2025 when it becomes clear that we are not a top 8 team anymore.

This is not a Hogan for May trade. We are struggling to attract established talent, hell, we are struggling attract mediocre  talent too. 
Trading Clarry is not some magic bullet. It won't suddenly fix all the issues that this club has. 

Just remember all this in 2025 when you're melting down over our performance. 

Well, there are definitely parallels with Grundy. Collingwood gave up his huge contract to a direct competitor and won a premiership that year.

It might be the start of a much needed cultural change, but I believe the executive needs to change...

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The contract is a disaster but this is Cornes doing his own reporting to then make his own worst contract list. With no public verifiable figures.

Whilst also driving the agenda of Oliver to Geelong because it gives them something to talk about for the 10,000 hours of Tradio they have to fill.

I mean, even if the reports are 1.3 million with 6 years left that’s 7.8.

That said, there was no need to sign Oliver mid 2022 if there were any doubts at all about his behaviour. Even if he was a perfect saint we should’ve waited until the summer. A 7 year deal shouldn’t be handed out 1.5 years early. You’re just asking for trouble.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Adam The God said:

Well, there are definitely parallels with Grundy. Collingwood gave up his huge contract to a direct competitor and won a premiership that year.

It might be the start of a much needed cultural change, but I believe the executive needs to change...

You're going to struggle to sell me on the Grundy is as good as Clarry angle 😅

Clarry back to his best, is a club changer. He takes Geelong's midfield from a 3 to an 8. That doesn't mean he will get back to his best, but Grundy has never been this influential, and he certainly wasn't going to be a club changer to a club that had Max Gawn, just as he did nothing to help Sydney win a flag. 

• Like 3

You can take the boy out of the country,but you can't take the country out of the boy.

I'll bet he rues the day he signed that contract. Dazzled by the $. Frustrated at the length of it. His best life years stuck in Melbourne. Hours travelling out to Casey to train, yuc. Geelong knew what they were doing when they took him to Stanley's farm. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

Grundy was offloaded simply for the size of his contract…..Oliver is being offloaded because he’s a bit of a twit. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

It is a potentially catastrophic situation that may well have been the snookering of the century.

How a partial salary dump and little else became the desired outcome for a potential Oliver trade baffles me. 

Wanting Oliver to stay because otherwise he will do well at Geelong, is like staying with your wife only because you don't want her to sleep with someone else!

If he's as big of a problem as it seems - move him on. I think this is beyond reasonable doubt. 

Our midfield is one dimensional currently, and the game has gone past pure in and under grunt players. 

Hit the draft with a few top 10s this year and next, bring in skill, speed, and high quality characters.  We will be better for it and forget what he does after he has left. 

Edited by WiseDeeMan
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

If Cats are the desired location for Oliver, then what’s the trade ? I heard it could be a future Cats 1st round pick and that’s it, and Dees still paying a decent amount of his contract.  Cats were top 4 and add Bailey Smith. Could be premiership contenders already with or without Our Clarry.  So with academy and father son picks, Cats future 1st would be likely to be say pick 17-21. Ouch. 

Somewhere round that probably.

The damage is now well and truly done. It's now a salvage job unfortunately

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well blow me away.. not surprised one bit.

This is going to be an absolute distraction each and every year he's with us.

Either the leadership group are too weak to control him or they're simply just fed up and had enough of his [censored].

Clearly he's not willing to grow up.

Happily support the club on this if they decided to trade him.

You nailed it pretty much

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

You're going to struggle to sell me on the Grundy is as good as Clarry angle 😅

Clarry back to his best, is a club changer. He takes Geelong's midfield from a 3 to an 8. That doesn't mean he will get back to his best, but Grundy has never been this influential, and he certainly wasn't going to be a club changer to a club that had Max Gawn, just as he did nothing to help Sydney win a flag. 

I agree.