Oliver Trade Rumours

10 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Sam Edmund reporting that SDK will not be traded. Going no where.

Yet they never give us that kind of benefit in their reporting.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Why would you walk away from a club that will do everything you ask of it!

Because the one thing the club can’t do, is be as good for his brand as the likes of Collingwood or Carlton.

The likelihood of Trac not exploring his options again in 2025 are low. It would take some serious success IMO. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just now, Jaded No More said:

Because the one thing the club can’t do, is be as good for his brand as the likes of Collingwood or Carlton.

The likelihood of Trac not exploring his options again in 2025 are low. It would take some serious success IMO. 

This is true.

Even 1 season playing for Collingwood would increase his income from social media to a place he couldn’t with us.

And, if he is chasing success we are in such a state at the moment who is to say we will bounce back in 2025. 

• Like 5

I just listened to Clayton Oliver on The Unlaced Podcast with Jake Barker-Daish. It was an excellent listen. Do yourself a favour.
My takeaways:
1. Clayton is in a very good head space. He sounds like he is in a very healthy state.
2. He loves the Melbourne Football Club and all his mates there.
3. He can’t wait to get back into training, he’s going back with the 1-4 year players. He acknowledges he was not fit this year and still describes himself as being “a bit fat”. He is very confident he will get back to where he was.
4. He rubbished the claims that Melbourne’s culture is poor. “We’re all mates and love having a laugh together. We just laugh at the media because they don’t know what’s happening on the inside”.
5. He loves Gawny and all that the skipper has done for him.
This was recorded last week. If Clayton is sitting down with Geelong, I can guarantee that it is not him that is pulling the strings on any potential move.
Over to you, Melbourne.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Can you imagine a night out with Clarry, Smith and Stengel? 

Myself and Uncle Bitter will Chaperone to ensure brevity and controlled environment.

• Haha 1

Likely due to his lack of preseason he clearly played a different role through the middle of the ground this year. Probably also due to the changes of game plan. 

Oliver is nearly the best in league below his knees and his CP stats were tracking to be the best ever. 

if he feels under appreciated due to game plan change and role being diminished due to lack of pre season, then it’s on him to come back fit and ready to compete next season. 

If, as reported, it’s due to Melbourne shopping him around. Then it’s an absolute shambles of a decision by the footy club.

That in a 3 year period Melbourne has gone from having the deepest midfield in the comp, to a midfield solely reliant on the output of 2-3 players. Is another joke that clearly needs to be addressed. 

all in all, Oliver should stay, unless someone is willing to offer us a key forward and 2 x first rounders and cover his whole contract. 
but the footy club is starting to look like it will implode and that’s scary with Tassie on the way into the league. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tough Kent said:
I just listened to Clayton Oliver on The Unlaced Podcast with Jake Barker-Daish. It was an excellent listen. Do yourself a favour.
My takeaways:
1. Clayton is in a very good head space. He sounds like he is in a very healthy state.
2. He loves the Melbourne Football Club and all his mates there.
3. He can’t wait to get back into training, he’s going back with the 1-4 year players. He acknowledges he was not fit this year and still describes himself as being “a bit fat”. He is very confident he will get back to where he was.
4. He rubbished the claims that Melbourne’s culture is poor. “We’re all mates and love having a laugh together. We just laugh at the media because they don’t know what’s happening on the inside”.
5. He loves Gawny and all that the skipper has done for him.
This was recorded last week. If Clayton is sitting down with Geelong, I can guarantee that it is not him that is pulling the strings on any potential move.
Over to you, Melbourne.

I just listened to it too. 

I agree with your summary. If you listened just to the podcast and didn’t know anything about this week’s reports, you’d walk away from that podcast feeling pretty good about where he’s at, both individually and in relation to the club. 

Given that, it makes it even harder to reconcile what’s been reported this week, and IMO only strengthens the concerns people have about the club’s administration. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Worth the listen.  

Sam in the camp of ‘I felt things were on track again’ l, Kane in the camp of ‘the damage is lingering’.

Kane says a lot of over the top, inflammatory things and I’ve been very critical of him in the past but his view here is pretty balanced and I largely agree with him.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, praha said:

Media relations at the club are a joke.

Pert brought in Clare Petty to lead our Comms department. How are we getting destroyed in the media and always seem late to the party to respond? We've somehow gotten worse at it. In my 20 years in corporate affairs I've never seen such contempt for a major stakeholder (being the supporters in a footy club's case).

The comms strategy is in the toilet. They need to work harder and better and controlling the narrative here. Seems like a massive disconnect between the CEO office, the football department, and the media team. Key job as chief/GM of comms is to control the external messaging, and build internal ambassadors and engagement to avoid leaks/disgruntled comments externally. 

https://x.com/JoshGabelich/status/1769602121350156534?s=19

If you're going to "deny deny deny" you need to craft it in a way that is neither the truth nor a lie. Melbourne straight up lies. 

We actually need a properly functioning corporate comms capability, situated in the executive’s office with far reaching authority - as if in a corporate entity.

The social media / video / etc should be a sub function of this, with the corporate comms staffed by corporate media rockstars.

I am not sure we have that right now

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 48 Year Now said:

Clod light of day

Pert shops Oliver around.

Oliver sits and talk with Geelong

they sell

strong Football Club

strong coaching group

talented team

Modern trading facility within 20 minutes of beach lifestyle

deakin University for his course of study

If we don’t make Geelong pay by getting a player they don’t want to lose we will be walked over for years in and off the ground.

Don't forget the cheap rural lifestyle properties.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't expect Oliver to leave the club and clearly there were problems during the year and his hand issues did not help, Oliver has the best below the knees hands since Greg William's but he is just above average with kicking skills and decision making under pressure when the game changed from down the line contest to contest football to quick release and run football but that also affected other midfield players. Let's hope he does go hard pre season season and gets himself in a good head space and adds more tricks to his bow and becomes a midfielder who hurts teams in front of goals.

iI cant keep up with this thread  and randomly  read the quoted mainstream media so apologies if I missed anything BUt

Where are Green (our president), Pert (our CEO) and Goodwin (our coasch.

Get a statement out

All MFC players are valued. We have a list that we believe is competitive. WE have long term contracts with Clarry Trac and others and yes they are attractive to other clubs (as are all our listed players) but they would have to offer millions and  significant trades for us to lose them. Every club ourselves included are restricted by salary cap rules, our players are aware of these difficulties but enjoy playing together and know that the club administration and more importantly our supporters appreciate them and want even greater success 

Max and Jack are our current leaders and Trac and Clarry are our future leaders. WE have many in our playing group Kozzie JVR, Fritta, Windsor, (Hell name the whole squad) who know that playing together and with the right amount of luck will achieve the ultimate success that they and we all want.

WE are a strong club, only a strong club could let Jesse Hogan leave for extremely sensitive personal reasons, would let Jackson  leave for similar personal reasons, can let NIbbler go for his personal circumstances.. We valued them as part of our club and value them as opponents but we all agreed that they would grow outside our club. 

We are always talking with our players and encourage them to know their value and more importantly their worth. They are and we encourage them to be competitive and we can only see success with this attitude. 

Speculation will always occur but we will not be distracted by rumour and conjecture. We understand that social media and alternative promotion can be misinterpreted and mislead and  encourage our players to participate in all activities with caution and an awareness of their profile individually and jointly. We are satisfied that our open and transparent processes will allow us to improve and succeed. The club will respond formally when required and we  encourage everyone, including our members and supporters to only respond to club issued statements.

This sort of statement would be best delivered to the press ata joint conference with Jack, Max, TRac and Clarry. At training and allow all players to wander past and give supportative statements and gestures to that effect.

Get on the front foot and get rid of this carp.

• Like 4

Listening to snippets of that podcast Clarry comes across as quite immature - the way he defends or explains our culture as a non-issue because ‘we all have a laugh and eat lunch together’.

Maybe the higher-ups have just had enough of dealing with all the issues and still don’t see this young man really growing and maturing into what they thought he could become. Maybe they think it’s time to cut their losses and move forward.

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

I don't expect Oliver to leave the club and clearly there were problems during the year and his hand issues did not help, Oliver has the best below the knees hands since Greg William's but he is just above average with kicking skills and decision making under pressure when the game changed from down the line contest to contest football to quick release and run football but that also affected other midfield players. Let's hope he does go hard pre season season and gets himself in a good head space and adds more tricks to his bow and becomes a midfielder who hurts teams in front of goals.

@demon3165 I'm absolutely certain he will bounce back and do this, but I'm almost positive it will be for the cats.

If he's met with the Geelong CEO and president, it's likely he's gone.

They know the tactics to bring mature aged players into the club and then Scott knows how to get the most out of them.

How have we managed to lose such an incredible player and we're likely to get sfa all for him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

@demon3165 I'm absolutely certain he will bounce back and do this, but I'm almost positive it will be for the cats.

If he's met with the Geelong CEO and president, it's likely he's gone.

They know the tactics to bring mature aged players into the club and then Scott knows how to get the most out of them.

How have we managed to lose such an incredible player and we're likely to get sfa all for him?

They are the ones that have to come up with the deal not us, and if that's the case maybe it's got more to do with the playing group than we think...

37 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

We actually need a properly functioning corporate comms capability, situated in the executive’s office with far reaching authority - as if in a corporate entity.

The social media / video / etc should be a sub function of this, with the corporate comms staffed by corporate media rockstars.

I am not sure we have that right now

I'd be very surprised if this doesn't already exist.