Oliver Trade Rumours

FWIW…

On Sunday I spent the halftime break with The Wiz and his mob and for the most part we talked about the Quairading - Going Home video (if you’ve not watched it, you really should).

Jeff loves the video. He said that Kozzie’s mob will forever consider Goody and Clarrie and Shano part of their family, and that’s huge.

In particular, the part where Clarrie piggybacks Kozzie’s grandmother up the hill is immense. As Jeff explained it, and I’m paraphrasing, it meant the world to Nan to be able to be up at that special spot at the top of the hill, the very spot where Kozzie and his cousins spent many carefree days swimming and playing  and all the while Nan would be watching and enjoying seeing them so happy. But… she wasn’t able to walk up the hill without assistance and maybe it’s a cultural thing, but she wouldn’t ask for, nor expect, assistance. No-fuss-Claz without any ado just did it. 

I asked Jeff what he thinks lies ahead for Clarrie. He believes Clarrie will remain a Demon. As I said, for what it’s worth. 🤷‍♀️ 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 13
  • Thinking 1

29 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

FWIW…

On Sunday I spent the halftime break with The Wiz and his mob and for the most part we talked about the Quairading - Going Home video (if you’ve not watched it, you really should).

Jeff loves the video. He said that Kozzie’s mob will forever consider Goody and Clarrie and Shano part of their family, and that’s huge.

In particular, the part where Clarrie piggybacks Kozzie’s grandmother up the hill is immense. As Jeff explained it, and I’m paraphrasing, it meant the world to Nan to be able to be up at that special spot at the top of the hill, the very spot where Kozzie and his cousins spent many carefree days swimming and playing  and all the while Nan would be watching and enjoying seeing them so happy. But… she wasn’t able to walk up the hill without assistance and maybe it’s a cultural thing, but she wouldn’t ask for, nor expect, assistance. No-fuss-Claz without any ado just did it. 

I asked Jeff what he thinks lies ahead for Clarrie. He believes Clarrie will remain a Demon. As I said, for what it’s worth. 🤷‍♀️ 

well fwiw i reckon that means a lot more than sam mcclure or any other journos. it’s not a guarantee of course but it’s an opinion w substance. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

The club has stated for years they will only trade players in or out if it has the potential to make our team better or the player cannot be placated to stay. 

Ridiculous of the media to think that Clarrie can't get back to his best form, of course he can, and they know that. But they also know controversy creates cash. 

IMV, they only way Clarrie isn't at the Dees next year is 

1. Clarrie asks/demands to be traded, and/or; 
  2. Moving Clarrie allows us to obtain another player or 2 to (potentially) make us better. No way he get's traded as a cash dump. 

Brodie Grundy says Hi!!

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Didn't bother clicking on the link or watching the horrible show, but glad to hear it's the same nonsense drivel.

I have names.on my whiteboard too...

I mean to they are the names of the beers I've brewed and have talked but if I brew one and name it Clayton he is obviously coming to me by their logic.

Very nice, did not know that about you Gorg!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

Very nice, did not know that about you Gorg!

Yeah been brewing for a few years, bit of fun, also grow some of our own hops. I'll do a red ale/IPA and name it clarrie :)

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Maybe, just maybe that both Oliver and the club come to a mutual agreement at the end of the year that perhaps a fresh start at a completely new environment would benefit both parties moving forward. Goodwin has proven to make tough decisions on players who are much loved by the players and fans (See Jack Watts).

I think that's plausible dazzle but I can't imagine this would eventuate if the only benefit to the club would be second round draft pick and cash dump. It would need to be mutually beneficial else you remain wedded and it's in the best interest of the club and Clarrie to find a way to fit and for Clarrie to get back to his best. 

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Brodie Grundy says Hi!!

100% 

The club has stated for years they will only trade players in or out if it has the potential to make our team better or the player cannot be placated to stay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Other clubs will see it that way or treat it as such, which would impact the trade value and the mfc would be paying around 30% of his contract for the 6 more years.

Definitely. Ultimately in the event Clarrie is courted and he firmly believes the grass is greener it will be up to his manager and the clubs to find a deal that benefits all parties, else Clarrie's tied to us for another 5+ years.

• Like 2

It's well stated that Melbourne has been dealing with Clayton's off-field issues for a number of years. From what I understand, while the footy in his life has been consistent, he's been able to manage and juggle it ok. From what I know based on a conversation with someone at the club, the problems all started with his hamstring injury last year. Without the daily grind of footy everyday, Clarry lost the structure in his day and that's where his off-field problems started to escalate.

I thought Buckley made a really good point last night on "On the couch". He said sometimes "manic on-field" and "manic off-field" works really well for some individuals. He then went onto say, Oliver is clearly had a transition from that "manic off-field" lifestyle and it may take a while for him to fully adjust. 

I'm backing Clarry in. With him in a better headspace next year and a full pre-season, I expect a return to somewhere near his best. He may never reach that same level, but I still think he can be a top 10 player in the game. 

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 15

I think I'll wait until there are more respected people giving weight to this, as opposed to McClure and Morris. A pair of weasels that love the sound of their own voice and are desperate to feel important, possibly because didn't get enough hugs growing up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Where there's smoke, there's often just smoke.

where there's smoke, there's normally a bad smell, which is a good indication morris is lurking

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I just heard something that fills me with hope.

A couple of our DA travelling party had a long chat with a high-up member of the FD in Perth (understandably no name mentioned). On the subject of Clarrie this person said that we should not believe what the media are saying.

Before anyone chimes in with “Of course they’re gonna say that, they’d hardly say otherwise,” here’s the thing: the DA and the FD work very closely together. There’s mutual respect, this FD person wouldn’t lie to our OGs. If necessary, they would’ve said something to the effect of ‘I can’t really comment on that.’

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Ok Im saying this now, If Clarry is out, Im out, no more memberships, no more training reports and probably better for some no more P.F I know little of his background BUT I do know footy clubs and cricket clubs at ANY level have their fair share of hipsters, jive bunnies, try hards, alternatives, party animals, wacky terbaccy imbibers clowns, nutters, mad men ( and women) eccentrics,musicians, drunks you name it I have seen them all then some more!!.You embrace em and support and encourage whatever the scenario. AND LOOK AFTER THEM! NOT SAYING CLARRY IS ANY OF THAT, BUT ...Clarry needs us as we need him! 

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

There’s holes everywhere in Mclures story.

He says Oliver is unhappy at the club and the way he is being treated , not being played where he prefers to play and starting on the bench.

Oliver is playing in the middle, where he always plays and only starts on the bench because he had a limited pre season and they are managing him.

The club has done nothing but fully support him through his issues, and he has stated how much he loves the club and his teammates.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

There’s holes everywhere in Mclures story.

He says Oliver is unhappy at the club and the way he is being treated , not being played where he prefers to play and starting on the bench.

Oliver is playing in the middle, where he always plays and only starts on the bench because he had a limited pre season and they are managing him.

The club has done nothing but fully support him through his issues, and he has stated how much he loves the club and his teammates.

McClure is demonstrating credibility on par with that kid at primary school that reckons his dad is a billionaire and he has all the cool toys but he's not allowed to show you because they are so valuable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Ok Im saying this now, If Clarry is out, Im out, no more memberships, no more training reports and probably better for some no more P.F I know little of his background BUT I do know footy clubs and cricket clubs at ANY level have their fair share of hipsters, jive bunnies, try hards, alternatives, party animals, wacky terbaccy imbibers clowns, nutters, mad men ( and women) eccentrics,musicians, drunks you name it I have seen them all then some more!!.You embrace em and support and encourage whatever the scenario. AND LOOK AFTER THEM! NOT SAYING CLARRY IS ANY OF THAT, BUT ...Clarry needs us as we need him! 

PF, you’ve always been a huge Clarrie fan so it’s totally understandable that the thought of him leaving elicits such emotion. But I believe he ain’t goin’ nowhere. Certain cretins in the media have nothing else to write about so they dig up an old piece of gossip that’s way past its use-by and pass it off as ‘news’ 🙄 

PS are jive bunnies a real thing? I don’t think I’ve ever met one 🤔 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I just heard something that fills me with hope.

A couple of our DA travelling party had a long chat with a high-up member of the FD in Perth (understandably no name mentioned). On the subject of Clarrie this person said that we should not believe what the media are saying.

Before anyone chimes in with “Of course they’re gonna say that, they’d hardly say otherwise,” here’s the thing: the DA and the FD work very closely together. There’s mutual respect, this FD person wouldn’t lie to our OGs. If necessary, they would’ve said something to the effect of ‘I can’t really comment on that.’

How exactly do the FD and the DA and work very closely together? Apart from greeting each other on gameday it's hard to see how there would be any real crossover in work.

38 minutes ago, JJR said:

He had no preseason.

not true

he had a limited, restricted, and isolated pre-season

here's hoping he returns to his best with a full, committed, and integrated summer on the training track before the 2025 season

most importantly, that it's for us!

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bowserpower said:

How exactly do the FD and the DA and work very closely together? Apart from greeting each other on gameday it's hard to see how there would be any real crossover in work.

They often turn up on mass at the Gosh's training. On special days they can be seen collecting awards for their work, other times they are part of the community campaigns, as guests observe the trackers. The numbers can vary from a handful, to the entire admin staff. Seems the club will work hard to be connected, given the non optimal situation of the physical separation of departments. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2024 at 19:13, Kent said:

Please stop referring to the preseason

It's tiresome

As tiresome as your pessimism 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1