Oliver Trade Rumours

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

Your username suits you

Thanks appreciate your appreciation

• Haha 1

Would anyone take his contract on? doubt it

Like Petty and others we need to manage them. get them right for a full presses on. 

Id be fine with Clarry and Petty not playing another game. get them mentally and physically ready for Nov 1st

* im not implying they have mental issues

7 minutes ago, BW511 said:

Hypothetically speaking, if Clarry returns to his best, does he help or hinder our future team?

I think if we front up next year with Trac, Clarry and Viney as our starting mids, we will see results more like 2024 than 2021.

The midfield mix that Freo had today was streets ahead of ours in terms of speed, skill and two way running. Including Andy Brayshaw, who isn’t known for his disposal by foot

Of course he helps us at his very best but there’s also an argument Rivers should be in the core midfield. With at least 1 clearance machine like Tracc, Viney or Oliver (but that’s 3 when 2 might do). With some damage in Kossie. But also with a speedy gut running mid for balance.

If we move Oliver out we free cash to bring in Houston to free up Rivers.

Then maybe we do the same with a classy quick mid to ease the load on Viney and Tracc.

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Of course he helps us at his very best but there’s also an argument Rivers should be in the core midfield. With at least 1 clearance machine like Tracc, Viney or Oliver (but that’s 3 when 2 might do). With some damage in Kossie. But also with a speedy gut running mid for balance.

If we move Oliver out we free cash to bring in Houston to free up Rivers.

Then maybe we do the same with a classy quick mid to ease the load on Viney and Tracc.

Someone has to go out of the midfield mix to get the required skills or speed in there. For that to happen, Clarry, Viney or Trac have to be shifted out.

Trac has to be there because he can win games on his own.

Viney has to be there because it would rip the fabric of the club apart and also, he probably can’t play anywhere else.

Clarry has to play because of his insane contract 

so where to from there?

Edited by BW511

13 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

No way I’d trade Clarry, but ffs he has to be held accountable for his performances this year - particularly today. Doesn’t defend, doesn’t tackle, doesn’t chase, and is an appalling kick. He needs to be dropped - not because there might be someone better to replace him (although after yesterdays effort, Pup deserves his spot), but to give Clarry a wake up call.

Stark difference to the ultra workrate that Andrew Brayshaw displayed today especially his run down tackles on Tholstrup when he sprinted back defensively to lay that tackle.

Cannot remember a time Oliver actually did that.

Just on Brayshaw, it was honestly very impressive to watch the way he goes about it. His work rate and ability to get back defensively to help out the defenders was very impressive to watch.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Stark difference to the ultra workrate that Andrew Brayshaw displayed today especially his run down tackles on Tholstrup when he sprinted back defensively to lay that tackle.

Just on Brayshaw, it was honestly very impressive to watch the way he goes about it. His work rate and ability to get back defensively to help out the defenders was very impressive to watch.

For all of Clarrys attributes, being an effective defender is not one of them.

I would even say that Petracca is similar defensively, but has improved in the last couple of years.

23 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yep, a Brayshaw would have been handy today.

Any word on how Guy is travelling, post-football? 

Edited by PaulRB

9 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

Draft or trade?

Might have to be, but even just pace and a good tank and try to get class out of Tracc, Rivers and Pickett.

I’d be open for ANB, Windsor and Kolt to all have goes through their next year.

But that means beefing up our wings and half forwards with genuine afl players asap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’d be open for ANB, Windsor and Kolt to all have goes through their next year.

The more I see of Windsor the more I think he was absolutely the right choice at our pick and the more I think he's not just a winger. 

Interesting to see what we can snag at (what seems like it might be) a similar pick in the coming draft. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

The more I see of Windsor the more I think he was absolutely the right choice at our pick and the more I think he's not just a winger. 

Interesting to see what we can snag at (what seems like it might be) a similar pick in the coming draft. 

Yep he is going to be a weapon. Genuine a-grade weapon. just give the kid a few years and he'll be our best footballer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Taciturn Demon said:

Would be interesting if we could get a second pick in the first round... Is this year's crop deep?

Do we think Salem or Sparrow and a second pick can do it? Even a late first rounder.

5 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Yep he is going to be a weapon. Genuine a-grade weapon. just give the kid a few years and he'll be our best footballer.

Not sure his decision making or skills will make him our best player. They can both be improved, but he’s a little too hit and miss even for a first year kid in a tricky role. Of course he does have super classy moments too.

I really hope Rivers and Kossie flourish in to genuine A graders. But Windsor might be next and he should be a genuine game breaker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Would be interesting if we could get a second pick in the first round... Is this year's crop deep?

Do we think Salem or Sparrow and a second pick can do it? Even a late first rounder.

Both are closer to 3rd rounders than 1st.

Fritsch on the other hand…

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Both are closer to 3rd rounders than 1st.

Fritsch on the other hand…

Package both and our second rounder, we might just get lucky 😅

Who would replace Fritsch if we lost him?

We are lacking in our fwd line, we need to add not substract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

For all of Clarrys attributes, being an effective defender is not one of them.

I would even say that Petracca is similar defensively, but has improved in the last couple of years.

He has but coming off a low base.  He's a receive and go mid imv.   His mindset and positioning for defending isn't the greatest as far as quality mids go and by a fair way.  Very good at the former though so you would back him in here vs most opponents.

Our issue at the moment is that our go to extractor in JV is no longer extracting much of late (shoulder issue or just badly out of form?) and the other usual part timer here in Clarry is a mile off his former (pre 2024) best and barely getting any effective extractions either.

Then there's the back ups that might get the odd extraction.  Max yes but didn't play today.  Gus a tad.  He's gone.  And on the odd occasions JJ.  He's gone.  Sparrow nowhere near anything atm and should be replaced in the side by brown Dog for the speed and spread factor for the remainder of the season.

When you have zero decent rucks in the CBs plus the above extraction problem and you play an oppo that has strengths in both of those areas = recipe for disaster.

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not sure his decision making or skills will make him our best player. They can both be improved, but he’s a little too hit and miss even for a first year kid in a tricky role. Of course he does have super classy moments too.

I really hope Rivers and Kossie flourish in to genuine A graders. But Windsor might be next and he should be a genuine game breaker.

agree with this. His kicking is widely variable. Unlike others, I don't see him as a centre square player at all.   Whilst he is a decent tackler, he's never going to be a contest player and doesn't have elite hands.  His edge is his straight line pace, let him play to his strengths. 

Meanwhile our most skillful player is still kicking around a back pocket.   It's been flagged by Goodwin he will move into the midfield (or at least further up the ground). Which brings us back to Oliver.  This is fully on the coaching department to find him another supplementary role if others are going to rotate through.  You can't be so one dimensional if you're underperforming.  I still think he should spend time up forward.  Defensive pressure, clean hands, evasion. 

Just to flag,Clarry is currently:

- 4th at the club for tackles (total and average per game)

- Leading the club for disposals (both)

- 7th for total effective kicks (the top 5 are all defenders who always take safe options so lead this stat, 6th is Langdon)

- Leading the club for total contested possessions (2nd behind Gawn in average)

- Leading the club for total possessions.

- 2nd for turnovers (unsurprising because of how many posessions he's had, but he is second behind Viney here).

- Streets ahead in first for ground ball gets.

- 2nd for centre clearances, 3rd for stoppage clearances.

- 4th for pressure acts.

And he's done that while averaging 77.7% tog which is 18th at the club (Ben Brown the only non regular above him)

Yeah he's having a down year by his standards, but a) he isn't on his own here and b) he is still performing statistically as well as anyone else in the midfield.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, BW511 said:

Viney has to be there because it would rip the fabric of the club apart and also, he probably can’t play anywhere else.

Couldn't disagree more. 

Viney could easily be used as a forward. He is a better kick for goal than he gets credit for. He applies pressure and tackles like a beast and can take a mark.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

I Iove him, and I’m hoping he can put together a preseason together next year, cuz we ain’t looking at a million dollar player right now. 

Lucky to be going at $1/2M tbh. 

Talk of trading Clarry is simply embarrassing.  In the top 5 Demons of all time. It could be argued he's No1. 4 B& F and could have had two Brownlows if not for Petracca, and vice versa. Given the tumultuous off season he had I'm amazed with his output thus far and even the fact he's on the park.Clearly no fitness base and flying before the finger injury. His numbers still stack up very well but below his imperious best. He has had to take more heat with the absence of Brayshaw and Petracca. We need to address this in the off season. With a full pre season and no distractions a 5th b&5f is in the offing. To consider trading him is disrespectful. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

There are only a few non tradables at our club. Clarry isn't one of them ATM.

But he's worth more to us than what we'd get for a trade, so we get a good summer into him, try and keep focused and back to his best in 2025.

• Like 4