Dan Houston

10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

More Rubbish Journalism 

Are you reading this Tom, you were still going on about Oliver this morning….

You really are a piece of work…..

Yeah, I heard him on SEN with some other fool, thought I was listening to a pre pubrty schoolboy, no facts on anything kept saying he wasn't sure on anything and some believe what this clown says.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Yeah, I heard him on SEN with some other fool, thought I was listening to a pre pubrty schoolboy, no facts on anything kept saying he wasn't sure on anything and some believe what this clown says.

He “Broke” the story…

So he wants it to happen 

When did the two first round talk come from? He is not a star midfielder 

Also a first rounder can obviously mean anything from 1 to 18. 

Houston is worth a good first rounder imo - around the 10 mark. pick 18 would not be enough

We really need senior quality players to support our kids. He would be a great get

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I am super keen on getting Cumming as a free agent.  5 year deal on the table.  He’d be cheaper and less draft picks than Houston, with similar roles. 

Go for Cummings and keep our first round pick this year for a young gun. This year's draft is strong. Besides Houston is 27/28.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 27/07/2024 at 12:45, spirit of norm smith said:

I am super keen on getting Cumming as a free agent.  5 year deal on the table.  He’d be cheaper and less draft picks than Houston, with similar roles. 

I’m a bit on the fence with Cumming. Great age, skill set that we need. Would be best 22 for sure. But he’s had 3 soft tissue injuries this year( quad, calf and hamstring) and is out for the rest of the home and away at least. 
Salem looks done for the season as well. Hopefully he can get his body right for next season. But if both Cumming and Salem both have same amount of injuries next year that’s a fair bit of our salary cap going to waste and clogging up our list. 

• Like 2

Port fans on bigfooty, so take with a grain of salt, believe Houston to Melbourne is pretty much a done deal and will likely involve 2 x first rounders. One apparently has a reputation for being itk.

While I would love to get him, I'm worried about the cost and hope we have a plan to dilute our picks so we can take at least one first rounder ourselves to the draft.

If it does eventuate, we need to talk to teams like Freo and Gold Coast to see if they have interest in pick swaps.

• Thanks 3
  • Shocked 3
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Port fans on bigfooty, so take with a grain of salt, believe Houston to Melbourne is pretty much a done deal and will likely involve 2 x first rounders. One apparently has a reputation for being itk.

While I would love to get him, I'm worried about the cost and hope we have a plan to dilute our picks so we can take at least one first rounder ourselves to the draft.

If it does eventuate, we need to talk to teams like Freo and Gold Coast to see if they have interest in pick swaps.

Strong agree - as much as I rate Houston and think he would improve us, we simply need to start bringing in our next wave of midfielders and this is the perfect draft to do that 

If we can manufacture a way to get Houston AND a first round midfielder (even if it’s with a later pick), I’d go for it

If not, we take our first rounder to the draft and dangle our 2025 first rounder to try and trade back in to the end of first round 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, demoncat said:

Strong agree - as much as I rate Houston and think he would improve us, we simply need to start bringing in our next wave of midfielders and this is the perfect draft to do that 

If we can manufacture a way to get Houston AND a first round midfielder (even if it’s with a later pick), I’d go for it

If not, we take our first rounder to the draft and dangle our 2025 first rounder to try and trade back in to the end of first round 

I'd love Houston, but I'd love two first rounders this year. If we can manage that by trading 2025 and 2026 future 1sts, then great, otherwise two firsts is too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nascent said:

Had a look at that thread and…wow.

They reckon after we get pick #4 from Adelaide for Oliver we’ll give them 4 & 7 and that’s the fair rate. Or Kozzie and #7. 

They also think Houston is worth more than when we traded for Lever and May based on the fact he’s already an AA.

These are just what they think is fair, not actual whispers.

Did I miss when Dan Houston became 23 year old Chris Judd?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Melb16 said:

Had a look at that thread and…wow.

They reckon after we get pick #4 from Adelaide for Oliver we’ll give them 4 & 7 and that’s the fair rate. Or Kozzie and #7. 

They also think Houston is worth more than when we traded for Lever and May based on the fact he’s already an AA.

These are just what they think is fair, not actual whispers.

Did I miss when Dan Houston became 23 year old Chris Judd?

Yeah I had a squiz too. Looks like there's a lot of talk he'll make his way to Melb but the trade value was fantasy stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I know it's noise but to give up two first round draft picks for Houston would completely set us back years in terms of a mini rebuild.

I like Houston but he's not what we need now. He'll be 28 next year and we're potentially giving away two elite talent that could have 10 year careers with the dees.

With Tim Lamb on board I can't be surprised anymore if we did offer up two first round draft picks.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

With Tim Lamb on board I can't be surprised anymore if we did offer up two first round draft picks.

100%. This is the way it feels like it’s going and it would be a disgrace 

16 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Since when is BigFooty the Benchmark for determining the wealth of Players??

Better judgement than Kane Kornes or Sam Maclure 😁

2 picks in the mid teens would be as far as I’m willing to go. Definitely not a top 10 pick though. Houston, whilst a very good player, will be 28 come the start of next year. Id rather get a quality youngster with his whole career ahead of him, than a desperate attempt ala Richmond 2022, to trade out quality picks only for it to backfire.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I know it's noise but to give up two first round draft picks for Houston would completely set us back years in terms of a mini rebuild.

I like Houston but he's not what we need now. He'll be 28 next year and we're potentially giving away two elite talent that could have 10 year careers with the dees.

There’s 2 firsts and then there’s ‘2 firsts’.

If it’s picks in the mid to late teens and in return we get one or more 2nd or 3rd rounders then that could be a heist.

The cats gave 3 for Jezza Cameron and got pretty much the same picks back with 2nd rounders as valuable some of the firsts would’ve been.

There’s also a question of what else we do with the list. I’d have Oliver and Fritsch sold to the highest bidder assuming the reserve prices are met. 

And if that happens then it would almost be imperative that we bring in some experience and quality in the Houston age range.

Our first rounder this year should be off the table (aside from splitting it back a few picks). Anything else should be available.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

If it’s picks in the mid to late teens and in return we get one or more 2nd or 3rd rounders then that could be a heist.

The cats gave 3 for Jezza Cameron and got pretty much the same picks back with 2nd rounders as valuable some of the firsts would’ve been.

There’s also a question of what else we do with the list. I’d have Oliver and Fritsch sold to the highest bidder assuming the reserve prices are met. 

And if that happens then it would almost be imperative that we bring in some experience and quality in the Houston age range.

Our first rounder this year should be off the table (aside from splitting it back a few picks). Anything else should be available.

Port won't let him go without getting that pick 7* imo. Why would they ?

I supposed the consolation is that we get an AA calibre player, who according to CD is the 4th best ranked player in the game as of round 20. An Immediate impact right now while our players are in the (age) window will probably be more valuable than pick 7* and Pick 15-18 in the long run, if we do contend next year. It's all so obvious really that it feels silly saying it. 

But of course who really knows what that pick 7* kid will be so its always a gamble.

Edited by John Demonic

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Houston is not in the same calibre of talent of what Cameron was when he was traded, not even remotely close.

Cameron had already achieved far great then what Houstan as and Cameron is a key forward so of course clubs are going to pay premium for them instead of a half back flanker.

Who's knows if they'll dangle Oliver. But based on his current contract, no club will take that on board.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Houston is not in the same calibre of talent of what Cameron was when he was traded, not even remotely close.

Cameron had already achieved far great then what Houstan as and Cameron is a key forward so of course clubs are going to pay premium for them instead of a half back flanker.

Who's knows if they'll dangle Oliver. But based on his current contract, no club will take that on board.

Of course he’s not Cameron but the point is the 3 first rounds Geelong gave up turned out to be next to nothing when they got 2 early 2nds back.

If we gave up 2 late firsts and got at least 1 early second back it would be a similar kind of result where the price isn’t really the price. 

We aren’t getting value for Oliver but if we pay a bit of the contract I still think a team takes the risk for an early 2nd. Geelong, Adelaide they aren’t going to get an A grade midfielder in his prime age any other way.

Net result, Oliver out, Houston in and we’ve shuffled back in the draft from late firsts to early seconds. Doesn’t read well on paper but could be really good for the team. 

But we’ll see if Port are willing to accept that deal and it relies upon us bouncing back next year and the year after. So it’s still less likely than likely. 

26 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Of course he’s not Cameron but the point is the 3 first rounds Geelong gave up turned out to be next to nothing when they got 2 early 2nds back.

If we gave up 2 late firsts and got at least 1 early second back it would be a similar kind of result where the price isn’t really the price. 

We aren’t getting value for Oliver but if we pay a bit of the contract I still think a team takes the risk for an early 2nd. Geelong, Adelaide they aren’t going to get an A grade midfielder in his prime age any other way.

Net result, Oliver out, Houston in and we’ve shuffled back in the draft from late firsts to early seconds. Doesn’t read well on paper but could be really good for the team. 

But we’ll see if Port are willing to accept that deal and it relies upon us bouncing back next year and the year after. So it’s still less likely than likely. 

I understand you are in favour of re-shaping the list and our best 23 but the only thing worse than signing Clarry to the massive contract we gave him, would be to trade him for a 2nd rounder and pay part of his wage.

If any club thinks they can get Clarry back to pre-2024 levels, then we should believe that too. In fact, there's an argument he can only do it here, with the support networks he has relied on to keep his life on track around him.

• Like 7
  • Vomit 1