The Run Home

16 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I agree with you that we can make the 8 and 🤞 about 5th. 

Not sure many DL's do.

The way we lost last week was very uninspiring for the run home, i am sure that has polluted some viewpoints. 

But this season has been odd, there will more twists and turns before finals.

I can comfortably say I have no idea if we'll make finals. Imagine 6th to 12th will still be relatively close

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, RedBlueandTrue said:

good win against GWS and the mentality will switch again completely

A really good point. If we lose against Gws it's still very possible for us to make the eight but a loss may just completely destroy any shred of confidence we have after another demoralizing Freo lost.

I really think our season hinges upon this weekends game against a very good team.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Really? Why do you think we missed so many easy shots on goal in the Collingwood final if it wasn’t the pressure? Why else did we literally 💩 the bed against Carlton if it wasn’t the pressure? 

Yeah, I'm not convinced we [censored] the bed against either opponent, particularly Collingwood. Our goalkicking was terrible, but we were also down a rotation from very early in a huge final, which brought fatigue into the equation late. It was also raining, which reduced our skill execution. Fritta basically missed his boot from 30m out, you know, the guy that kicked 6 important goals in another Grand Final.

Against Carlton, had Max kicked his 10m snap (Max is a horrible kick unless outside 50), we play in a prelim, and that's minus JVR who got suspended against Collingwood, but was an important part of our forwardline all year.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced we [censored] the bed against either opponent, particularly Collingwood. Our goalkicking was terrible, but we were also down a rotation from very early in a huge final, which brought fatigue into the equation late. It was also raining, which reduced our skill execution. Fritta basically missed his boot from 30m out, you know, the guy that kicked 6 important goals in another Grand Final.

Against Carlton, had Max kicked his 10m snap (Max is a horrible kick unless outside 50), we play in a prelim, and that's minus JVR who got suspended against Collingwood, but was an important part of our forwardline all year.

Goal kicking from close range is all between the ears, Fritsch, McDonald and others couldn’t get it done when it mattered most.
Had we played a disciplined, team first approach against Carlton we would have won by 4-6 goals. For mine we couldn’t handle the pressure, dare I mention it but it started with the selection of you know who. 

Anywho let’s not go back there, it ranks high as a massive missed opportunity and the fact an ordinary Collingwood won the flag just makes it so much worse, not to mention losing Gus to the club. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

I'm not understanding the thinking that when you are 2 wins off 2nd then we're ostensibly out of the final race.

For those that think like this, can you help me explain your logic?

Lose make my sad face. Win make more happy. 

Lose make me think lose all time. Win make me think win rest of time.

explained?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I'm not understanding the thinking that when you are 2 wins off 2nd then we're ostensibly out of the final race.

For those that think like this, can you help me explain your logic?

For me, it’s because of our form since defeating the Cats back in RD 8. Since then we’ve had a total of four wins - three of which were against lowly teams - Saints, Roos (which we nearly lost) and Weagles. And if Essendon are indeed the pretenders so many label them as, then basically not one “scalp” since the beginning of May. 

The tightness of the AFL ladder this year flatters many, including us. We may Bradbury our way into the eight this year, but if I’m honest, I think I’d rather see a bunch of early surgeries and an extra few weeks of pre-season than we’ve been afforded in recent years. 

• Like 1

I was definitely of the mind we push hard for finals and presume that’s what the club will continue to do. However after watching us against Freo I’ll take the better draft pick and reload for 2025. In saying that I’d be more than happy to win our remaining matches, finish top 4 and take the flag. I’m taking the bet each way approach.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Goal kicking from close range is all between the ears, Fritsch, McDonald and others couldn’t get it done when it mattered most.
Had we played a disciplined, team first approach against Carlton we would have won by 4-6 goals. For mine we couldn’t handle the pressure, dare I mention it but it started with the selection of you know who. 

Anywho let’s not go back there, it ranks high as a massive missed opportunity and the fact an ordinary Collingwood won the flag just makes it so much worse, not to mention losing Gus to the club. 

Because such a bog ordinary team in Cwood won the flag it makes it so much harder not to revisit. It was the finals series from hell. We had the worst run of luck with a totally decimated fwd line including a revitalized Melksham going down against Sydney.

And then to do all the work we did and not take our chances with our errant kicking was the s_.t on the cake.

Carlton on the other hand have been the opposite in conversion and have been very disciplined and well trained in set shots. The umpires didn't help us either.

If we do make finals I just hope we get to end all aspirations and chances the blues have at winning this year.

And if we don't then may some other team have the glory in doing likewise.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

explained?

#1 post of the year

pretty much the funniest thing I have read on the internet ever... aside from

https://27bslash6.com/overdue.html

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The one thing going for us is that 3 out of our last 5 games are at the G where we have an 8-3 record and we only have to travel once. Our heavy lifting in terms of travel has been done.

I'm not sure what's happened to our interstate record but that used to be one of Goodwin's strengths - the ability to regularly win on the road.

Saturday night will prove whether there's any life left in the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

explained?

WCAG 2.1 new guidelines simplified | by Sean Elliott | Medium

4 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

💩the bed… what does it mean? 

4 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

The tightness of the AFL ladder this year flatters many, including us. We may Bradbury our way into the eight this year, but if I’m honest, I think I’d rather see a bunch of early surgeries and an extra few weeks of pre-season than we’ve been afforded in recent years. 

I reckon you're right re surgeries. There'll be a queue. Petty and Ricky up front IMO.

On 16/07/2024 at 12:28, Neil Crompton said:

When we make the finals- as I’m certain we will - we will have come into September with momentum and belief. As such, I can see us doing some serious damage, and a grand final appearance a likely scenario. 

I'd be very accepting of such an outcome; I love our Demons and have maintained enormous enthusiasm as a supporter across many, many years through thick and thin, yet this year things have gone very wobbly wherein our skills and prospects have nose-dived, significantly. I regret to say it, but it is my belief that our season is relatively going to end outside the final eight. This does not have to be a gloomy forecast, it has many positives to build for 2025 (the improved selection/experience opportunities of new players and the settling of injury, illnesses, extraordinary umpiring and hopefully some coherent selections onfield and with recruitments in the coming future). To me, it seems most likely that we will finish this season around 9th or 10th on the ladder. There have been some games of which we can be very proud and from these, the future is quite bright. Player losses have been the most damaging element on our slate - and these began pre-season. Carna Dees!

5 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

For me, it’s because of our form since defeating the Cats back in RD 8. Since then we’ve had a total of four wins - three of which were against lowly teams - Saints, Roos (which we nearly lost) and Weagles. And if Essendon are indeed the pretenders so many label them as, then basically not one “scalp” since the beginning of May. 

For me though, that evenness of the ladder makes me want to push for finals more. The reality is that the only way we can make them from here is to win at least 3 games against GWS, the Dogs, Port, GC and Collingwood. That will give us at least some sort of form running into September, and we could cop a side like Geelong, who will make finals given their soft final five games despite being like us and struggling to beat good sides. 

I'd much rather finish the season strongly and see what comes of whatever final we can draw first up. 

Looks like Max is back this week. But his recent absence has highlighted how many gaps he has to fill for us to be competitive, that is concerning.

Edited by Jibroni

6 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Looks like Max is back this week. But his recent absence has highlighted how many gaps he has to fill for us to be competitive, that is concerning.

Would you have said this after the Essendon game?

Our game is reliant on pressure and contest. We had nothing against Freo.

3 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Yes as Essendon are average.

10 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Looks like Max is back this week.

Back on the field, but I'd be surprised if he's back to his best. In the past, his form coming back from injuries has been OK at best.

• Like 1

I don't see how we make the 8, we just don't have the cattle. Too many key players missing or down on form. Great to see the youngsters stepping up, but there's only so much they can do.

Take the losses, focus on the draft/trade to bolster stocks. Big concern for me is the backline, May is a generational player and Tom Mac has done well this year as 2nd/3rd tall, but they're both approaching the end I would have thought. Jed Adams hasn't come on as perhaps we might have liked. Perhaps if Jefferson steps up Turner and/or Petty can go back, but it all looks a bit thin to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I highly suspect we were in a heavy training block post the Essendon match... all evidence points to ducks and drakes with Freo 😏

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bing181 said:

I don't see how we make the 8, we just don't have the cattle. Too many key players missing or down on form. Great to see the youngsters stepping up, but there's only so much they can do.

Take the losses, focus on the draft/trade to bolster stocks. Big concern for me is the backline, May is a generational player and Tom Mac has done well this year as 2nd/3rd tall, but they're both approaching the end I would have thought. Jed Adams hasn't come on as perhaps we might have liked. Perhaps if Jefferson steps up Turner and/or Petty can go back, but it all looks a bit thin to me.

Key players missing. We are only really missing trac and Salem. Other sides would envy our injury list 

Since round 8 when we were 6-2

We have gone 4-7 and had a fairly easy run at times

We are in horrible form 

Reset and rebuild for 2025-2027

• Like 3