Free to Air TV Losing Money and Shedding Jobs - What does that mean for footy?

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

This is all speculation, spoken with a questionable degree of certainty. 

Well, this *is* Demonland. 

• Haha 4

Free to air tv is a dieing system in the 21st century. Streaming is killing it, that and new forms of advertising that is targetted at the potential customer. The days of three commercial network is fast coming to an end. This decade will see the end of one or two networks. The future is a small number of free to air networks and multiple levels of streaming. I only watch 7, 9 and 10 on a very limited basis. 90% of my viewing I now pay for. I can watch what I like when I like. Because of decreasing revenue the commercial channels have gone down lower cost programing. The numerous scripted " reality " programs are the result. Now that I have fixed my Kayo problems I already watch almost all my sport on them. I have 3 pay stream companies and Kayo. Now fortunately I can afford them but whether channel seven survives or loses footy is of small consequence to me. Sadly perhaps I think it is inevitable. Free to air tv is dead in the water. Sport streaming will take up the slack from 7 and AFL will get similar amounts of money to now.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, SPC said:

Sack Brian Taylor and his crony’s and people might watch it again 

And right on cue, he’s just announced a five-year contract extension with Ch 7. 

😒

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 3

14 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

And right on cue, he’s just announced a five-year contract extension with Ch 7. 

😒

Tell me it ain't true. Don't crush my hopes! The most recent news I saw was that Taylor was in trouble on account of half the existing clique being sacked. One moment... here it is; https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/bt-would-be-terrified-afl-commentary-rumours-swirl-after-surprise-sacking/news-story/c27fecb95de8c748041a00474a1ad1bd

It was total [censored] while it lasted.

44 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Tell me it ain't true. Don't crush my hopes! The most recent news I saw was that Taylor was in trouble on account of half the existing clique being sacked. One moment... here it is; https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/bt-would-be-terrified-afl-commentary-rumours-swirl-after-surprise-sacking/news-story/c27fecb95de8c748041a00474a1ad1bd

five more years; https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/bucks-given-heaveho-at-sen-in-roster-bungle/news-story/58609673bade515c6e06c5314a6d6ced

Speaking on his podcast, Life of Brian, Taylor said: “I am glad to be able to say that I have signed for five years at the Seven Network. So for all those people out there wondering whether you like me or you don’t, bad luck, you’ve got me.”

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

media watch had a big section on how fta is in a death spiral this week

Thanks for putting this up. 
FTA TV has been doomed ever since YouTube was released. 
It’s been a slower death than i thought would happen. 
I left TV in 2018 and remember being told months before i left that the Digital Audience was about 3 x the size of FTA. 

Kids don’t watch it, they stream or watch stuff on the phone 

Live Sports are the only way FTA can make Money consistently 

Almost 180 degrees on how a TV Station made money in 1986, when i first joined GTV 9. Back then The TV was still king of The Lounge Room

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

five more years; https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/bucks-given-heaveho-at-sen-in-roster-bungle/news-story/58609673bade515c6e06c5314a6d6ced

Speaking on his podcast, Life of Brian, Taylor said: “I am glad to be able to say that I have signed for five years at the Seven Network. So for all those people out there wondering whether you like me or you don’t, bad luck, you’ve got me.”

No I watch kayo and if you are on I turn off the sound.

• Like 1

If F2A can somehow marry the concepts of MAFS/farmer with the footy commentary, they might be on a winner. 
The lack of quality journalists, and the prerequisite of only former players being allowed to commentate, has left a garbled, ESL level of commentary that makes you check the audio settings. 
The F2A and pay channels have usually pilfered ABC trained broadcasters and journalists, but it’s been a long time since Drew hosted The Winners and the well has run dry. 
Speaking of winners, I think the gravy train will continue as long as the AFL continues to be partially owned by the betting industry - they can’t now exist without it. 

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, DiscoStu17 said:

Speaking of winners, I think the gravy train will continue as long as the AFL continues to be partially owned by the betting industry - they can’t now exist without it. 

Good point but betting ads will go the same way as tobacco and liquor ads in the next five years.

Who will pay then

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Good point but betting ads will go the same way as tobacco and liquor ads in the next five years.

Who will pay then

Absolutely, they should, but can the AFL survive without it? I don’t see the diversity of products that filled the F2A coffers when tobacco and alcohol ads were banned. 
Will we see educational products offered instead?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DiscoStu17 said:

Will we see educational products offered instead?

Funny you should say that as India's cricket team was sponsored by an online tutoring company. Can't recall their name but the product itself was fascinating

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Funny you should say that as India's cricket team was sponsored by an online tutoring company. Can't recall their name but the product itself was fascinating

Byju

i believe they have stopped the sponsorship, but I still can’t see the Aust market embracing it to that extent. 

• Like 1

I only watch FTA when the GF or Brownlow is on (a d I really only watch the last half an hour of the Brownlow). Actually I'll also watch some of the Aus Open.

My kids don't even know how to get to the FTA channels they are that irrelevant. They'll watch ABC shows on the iView app other than that it's YouTube, Binge, Netflix etc

Hopefully another subscription service can usurp the AFL rights from NewsCorp otherwise I'd be more than happy to see them go down the gurgler even if it means the dollars to the AFL drop substantially.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I only watch FTA when the GF or Brownlow is on (a d I really only watch the last half an hour of the Brownlow). Actually I'll also watch some of the Aus Open.

My kids don't even know how to get to the FTA channels they are that irrelevant. They'll watch ABC shows on the iView app other than that it's YouTube, Binge, Netflix etc

Hopefully another subscription service can usurp the AFL rights from NewsCorp otherwise I'd be more than happy to see them go down the gurgler even if it means the dollars to the AFL drop substantially.

they wouldn't drop substantially; they'd disappear entirely

no one other than news corp has the $$s and the desire to pay for two domestic sports in a country with a population less than 25m

On 10/07/2024 at 21:36, Undeeterred said:

This. It goes behind the paywall and hopefully that k n o b B T loses his job 

One can only hope that BT loses his job - shock update is that he has signed on fro 5 more years.

And surely [censored] isn't cut out by the auto censor?

9 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

media watch had a big section on how fta is in a death spiral this week

Does anyone watch Media Watch?    Of course those in the taxpayer funded woke left ABC can say what they like about commercial TV - they are not accountable in any way.

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Who will pay then

There really needs to be a way where one can opt for a blank screen when these awful Sportsbet and similar ads come on.   The whole concept is obnoxious.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Does anyone watch Media Watch?    Of course those in the taxpayer funded woke left ABC can say what they like about commercial TV - they are not accountable in any way.

It’s not about being not accountable. 
it’s just telling it as it is. 
Nobody watches Commercial TV anymore (except for live sports)

I don't think I've turned the tv on for three years or more. Like most on here it's Kayo for sports plus a dodgy online streaming service to watch European and NFL games that aren't being broadcast on Kayo, even though it's unreliable it's free. The content on mainstream commercial tv channels is rubbish. 

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

they wouldn't drop substantially; they'd disappear entirely

no one other than news corp has the $$s and the desire to pay for two domestic sports in a country with a population less than 25m

If it means NewsCorp and their poisonous ideology die out it's a price I'm willing to pay.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If it means NewsCorp and their poisonous ideology die out it's a price I'm willing to pay.

it'd be very...interesting to see how the afl / nrl would make up the shortfall from their broadcast agreements with news

you can only watch it you have a sportsbet account?

Edited by whatwhat say what

18 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

It’s actually a golden opportunity to completely revise the commentary and adopt the UK Premier League’s one-commentator approach. Or bugger it, just crowd noise! 

Id love for just the crowd noise, nothing worse than be forced to listen to some inane commentary 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Who will pay then

Gambling itself will return to private syndicates( SPs in the old days)

It makes no sense to support corporates when a private betting syndicate could return profits to itself.

Real Estate Agents ( Door openers) should also be looking to learn an actual skill.They'll be gone in 5 years.Hooray.

Can't say I'll miss TV-the longest amatuer night in history.

Edited by Biffen