POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

2 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Listening to Goodwin presser was like it was 2017 in his first season with a team trying to climb up the ladder! How has this team gone from number 1 in the last 3 season to 12th contest/defence?? What’s our culture when Oliver lack of preseason not thru injury plays instead of forcing him to find fitness & form @ Casey, our drafting of billing’s, Hunter, schache, Fullerton, Mccadam jury still out but these guys are not improving our list! The stubbornness of trying to make petty & turner into fwds … 

Pretty easy to see how firmly entrenched Goodwin is. Demonland are now vetting threads just in case anyone dare bags the anointed one. 

• Like 1

OTC tonight

Melb pressure 166 = low

Pies pressure 188 = high

There you go

And shots at goal? Melb’s most from the pocket, Pies pretty much directly in front

Summary: Dees slow, lazy footy, afraid to hit the corridor 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, 1858 said:

OK, so Goodwin presser.

I'm not going to dissect it but one thing that irks me.

He pointed out that Pies are a high pressure team and that we need to execute better under pressure. Fine.

Howabout as part of that we APPLY pressure of our own.

Pies played an easy, third gear style of game today and won by 8 goals

Because we let them.

How about talking about the “team we want to become”. This is not a rebuilding team, we should already be the team we want to become. 

• Like 2

Why are we trying to handball straight down the line? (McQualter?) Means the receiver has their back turned to any on coming traffic, and they come quick and close the space. Silly strategy, could be lateral like the NRL, till the overlap is created. Then, the freedom from pressure, and it is easier to hit up a forward. It isn't there with the mids structure/system. We invited the pressure.

Only time we created overlap, was after the errors the Woods made.

Why aren't our disposal making it easier for each other? 

Too many kicks into the forward line where it became 1 on 2.

How many times did we control the play only to make it difficult for the connection and so turn the ball over. At times we need to play keepings off and make less predictability, otherwise the opposition easily cuts out the angles, when we perform straight line hit ups.

We are not running in waves together, players half a kick in front doesn't seem to work for us, even on a beautiful day like it was, how will that system go if a slippery day?

We had no central corridor game, most plays hugged the boundary, very little take the risk inside, even when we needed to score quickly. 

We are not being creative, though if Goody said we improved, then we role played better. Need to help the players act more instinctual, especially when we had nothing to loose. 

Hope we can turn the slump around and improve our system.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wow, you are easily pleased

Just realistic mate. You can pretend getting worked up will change things. But the reality is our depth can't cover Lever and Trac being injured and our forward line isn't getting the job done

• Like 1

Just now, DemonWA said:

Just realistic mate. You can pretend getting worked up will change things. But the reality is our depth can't cover Lever and Trac being injured and our forward line isn't getting the job done

Come on, take a look at the respective sides out their today. Only one reason that we lost and it is our fragile mentality. Lever is one player and Petracca played half the game where we had already shown we weren't up for it before he was injured.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Exactly layzie, you said it much better than I did. The supporters who think the "effort" today was acceptable are having a laugh.

Excusing a loss based on 'effort' the week after a 90 point thumping is literally Bailey/Neeld era stuff.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

We have 5 or 6 that apply little to no pressure. 

Viney generally in the top 2 or 3 for pressure, will be surprised if he got neat that today 

ANB following daicos may not have helped our pressure rating. 

Then there's Petty, Sparrow, Chandler and Billings...nuff said

• Like 1

Watching the replay you can’t even hear our “supporter” base boo maynard. 

We may genuinely get under 15k to the north game. 

Edited by Doug Reemer
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Since our flag we've played the Pies 5 times and lost 4 times to them in exactly the same way every time! They started kicking some goals out their [censored] towards the end but when the game was still live they were waltzing it in off rebound from turnovers. Today we had no names like Harvey Harrison, some guy named Krueger and spuds like Hoskin-Elliott slotting them through.

Effort was [censored] from first bounce, I'm not buying this "effort was ok" garbage.

I don't buy the effort comments either I think they are a total joke. It might have washed if we were a bottom 4 team going against a top liner at full strength but a 38 point loss to a side missing 9 players?

Oh but it was better than last week, newsflash: anything looks better than last week. I wanted to hit the ground running, learn how to walk again by putting one foot in front of the other. And as mentioned before, the effort was not good for long enough. This was not a case of doing everything right except finishing. We turned over at will in bad areas and failed to execute basic fundamentals. I've seen people applauding May's game today, are you kidding me? Contested marks are completely negated when you play on and handball to the opposition.

I suppose Rd 2 2016 was a good effort as well? Give me a fricken break.

• Clap 2

1 minute ago, Doug Reemer said:

Who would bother? The club/team has broken the trust of the supporters, people have better things to do than waste time on a club that doesn't reward the supporters with the bare minimum effort required.

• Like 3

As a bit of light relief for you all…we were sat with the Demon Army today and my kids and I were enjoying getting involved with the chants. After the “M..E..L..B…..” etc  chant had finished, my 11yo daughter turns to me and says “The Pies fans are quiet, because they’re still working out how to spell Collingwood!” 😂

• Haha 7

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who would bother? The club/team has broken the trust of the supporters, people have better things to do than waste time on a club that doesn't reward the supporters with the bare minimum effort required.

If you can’t sit through the hard times, you don’t deserve to jump on for the good ones.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Also I believe Melbourne historically is a very efficient team, winning most of their GFs. Granted we had very few in the last half century 😅

We were a very VERY different club then.

Checker, Smithy , Barassi... and the list goes on.  The ethos ....chalk and cheese.

• Clap 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

That's a [censored] poor comment mate how woke are you

Woke? It’s not woke in the slightest 😂

2 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

If you can’t sit through the hard times, you don’t deserve to jump on for the good ones.

🤔🤔How many years to qualify ?? 🤷

• Haha 3
  • Clap 2

4 minutes ago, BigBadBustling said:

End of year, McQualter gone for Dew, please.

Maybe we’ve been playing the long game on getting Dew to the club 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

If they aren't going to put in effort in front of 85,000 then no crowd can help them.

• Like 3

Just now, Doug Reemer said:

When were they? Watching on tv from a far during lockdown? Was great we finally won one, but I remember it with sadness with my dad crying on the phone as he battled through cancer. After decades attending nearly every MCG game together we didn't even get to enjoy the flag. It was horrible.

We'll have to be content with tat for another fifty years it seems. I'm middle aged and will likely never get to watch a demon flag at the MCG. The club brings me nothing but misery. I don't know why I keep supporting so hard at this point.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Hopeful Demon said:

Excusing a loss based on 'effort' the week after a 90 point thumping is literally Bailey/Neeld era stuff.

Lol. 

Bailey inherited an aging list and had Schawab trying to be assistant coach and list manager creating a [censored] show. 

Neeld era was just a culmination of poor recruitment and poor morale 

none of the above were impacted by fans excusing losses on demondland so I'm completely amused by you blokes thinking you being upset about the team is helping haha

Sober up Chad's!

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

OTC tonight

Melb pressure 166 = low

Pies pressure 188 = high

There you go

And shots at goal? Melb’s most from the pocket, Pies pretty much directly in front

Summary: Dees slow, lazy footy, afraid to hit the corridor 

Pressure stats can be skewed with game style. The Pies like to get it on the outside so it makes it hard to pressure them when they take the heat out of it. On the flip side, when the ball is in contest, they swarm and are the no.1 pressure side.

I [censored] hate the fact that the Pies are so well drilled. I’ve heard Fly say that at training they basically spend all their time on basic fundamentals and pressure.

There are many more disappointments than celebrations being a footy fan. It’s just the nature of it.

We’ll all be back here for the north game.

• Like 1
  • Love 1