PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

Out Brown Ben, Lever , Chandler ,Billings , T.Mac ( he play's a few good matches in a row then goes missing ). In Tomlinson, JVR ,Langdon ,Sestan .  AMV to be sub.

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Bloody frustrating Waterman pick 77 in 2016 and WC find a way to develop a fwd. Yet we can’t and try turning defenders into fwds. 

Come on now, this is his 7th season and it’s the first time he’s cracked 20 goals - JVR did that in his first year. He’s having one out of the box but he’s not Ablett Snr or Dunstall

• Like 5

1 hour ago, poita said:

Can someone please explain the following that arrived in an email from the club earlier this evening?

Clearly they are expecting a dismal crowd, but surely our game is on Sunday afternoon?

Are all reserved seat members happy to have a bunch of freeloaders in their area?

Saturday Night footy is best enjoyed with family and friends,
that’s why you should bring them to round 11.

Your complimentary guest pass sits in the MFC App
alongside your ticket.

All you have to do is open the app and scan your Guest Pass at the gate for your family or friend to enter the ‘G with you.

PLUS, you will have access to LEVEL 1 seating with your General Admission membership and Guest Pass.*

A bit odd- it is definitely a 3.20pm start, so not exactly a "night" game. But when they say access to level 1, that would be gen admission bays on L1, not Members reserved seating areas. 

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

But you’d also love to win games yes? 

Because dropping Clarry for one of those guys is, right now, making our team worse. 

We can agree to disagree.

A couple of things I took out of the game. Terrible positional moves one was playing McDonald on Waterman. Who is more damaging Darling or Waterman? Yet they had May on Darling. Petty not playing Lever's role. Playing in the ruck why didn't they play Brown in the ruck was useless up forward. 

Billings when we were 2 goals down he decided not to pass to Brown then didn't make the distance. and then he had a gettable snap shot that missed. He could have made a huge difference to the scoreline but Billings being Billings he didn't.

I've seen some terrible players at Melbourne David. Cockatoo-Collins would be the worst but Billings has to be high up there one of the worst recruits we have had for a long time. I'm not a fan of Tommo but he is a lot better than Billings. I rate Billings up there with Giles from Geelong. I will refuse to go to a game from now on if Billings is playing I can't stand him.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

B: Petty, May, McVee

HB: Moniz-Wakefield, McDonald, Rivers

C: Windsor, Tholstrup, Langdon

HF: Petracca, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: McAdam, Fritsch, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Laurie, Viney

IC: Woewodin, Fullerton, Salem, Chandler

SUB: Bowey

EMERG: Howes, Sparrow, Oliver

• Facepalm 2
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, poita said:

Can someone please explain the following that arrived in an email from the club earlier this evening?

Clearly they are expecting a dismal crowd, but surely our game is on Sunday afternoon?

Are all reserved seat members happy to have a bunch of freeloaders in their area?

Saturday Night footy is best enjoyed with family and friends,
that’s why you should bring them to round 11.

Your complimentary guest pass sits in the MFC App
alongside your ticket.

All you have to do is open the app and scan your Guest Pass at the gate for your family or friend to enter the ‘G with you.

PLUS, you will have access to LEVEL 1 seating with your General Admission membership and Guest Pass.*

another day, another job for clare pettyfor

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

A couple of things I took out of the game. Terrible positional moves one was playing McDonald on Waterman. Who is more damaging Darling or Waterman? Yet they had May on Darling. Petty not playing Lever's role. Playing in the ruck why didn't they play Brown in the ruck was useless up forward. 

Billings when we were 2 goals down he decided not to pass to Brown then didn't make the distance. and then he had a gettable snap shot that missed. He could have made a huge difference to the scoreline but Billings being Billings he didn't.

I've seen some terrible players at Melbourne David. Cockatoo-Collins would be the worst but Billings has to be high up there one of the worst recruits we have had for a long time. I'm not a fan of Tommo but he is a lot better than Billings. I rate Billings up there with Giles from Geelong. I will refuse to go to a game from now on if Billings is playing I can't stand him.

Jack Billings or Issac Weetra? Choose 

• Thinking 1

16 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Time to play a dedicated 2nd ruck to chip out for Max. Allows VDR and Petty to play forward without interruptions and hopefully aid their development. None of these two are Luke Jackson types who is Amore capable on ball player. 

Maybe they could ask Sydney to send a replacement ruck down to MFC with Gawn promosing to give  over a decent  chop out  + time,so he's actually on the ground.

Pretty please 

• Like 1

Unfortunately with Billings every time he is shooting for goal you can tell by his body language he is shy   ting himself

• Like 1

21 hours ago, layzie said:

The blowtorch is on the midfield this week. 

I don't know what they need to do, whether it's rotate Salo/Rivers or even Woey through there for a different look or just put a firecracker under the old firm's backside but we are quite far off it in that area. 36 inside 50s is appalling. 

I agree on Salo and Rivs going through the midfield. Salo looked good in there before he got injured and Rivs doesn't seem to be going in the midfield much at all this year, which I think we are missing a trick here  He's strong, fast, evasing, good foot skills and wins 1 v 1s.

I think they've done well to get Kozzy to play more minutes, but need to get more rotations with different players, I'd like to ANB in for a few too, as he just puts so much pressure on opposition players.

36 inside 50s was apparently our lowest count since 2015, according to AFL Match Day, dark days stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Lexinator said:

I agree on Salo and Rivs going through the midfield. Salo looked good in there before he got injured and Rivs doesn't seem to be going in the midfield much at all this year, which I think we are missing a trick here  He's strong, fast, evasing, good foot skills and wins 1 v 1s.

I think they've done well to get Kozzy to play more minutes, but need to get more rotations with different players, I'd like to ANB in for a few too, as he just puts so much pressure on opposition players.

36 inside 50s was apparently our lowest count since 2015, according to AFL Match Day, dark days stuff. 

Thanks Lexinator, we need to try some new looks in there to keep opposition guessing. I look at what the Dogs have done with Ed Richards and it has given their midfield a new lease of life, even after Liberatore went down he seems to have grown more into the role. 

I too would like to see ANB at more centre bounces. I know it robs us of the high HFF role that he plays so well but now is the time to pull a few levers and see what we can run through there. 

• Love 1

I don't think you can have T-Mac and Tommo in the same backline.

B Brown has to go based on Sunday's game but showed way better form than Fullarton at Casey last week.

Hunter was horrible and deserves to be dropped from Casey.

I like the idea of AMW getting a game but not if it's in the backline.

Sestan goes missing for stretches of the game and Tholstrupp is NQR (Not Quite Ready).

I don't think we can look to Casey for too many answers but my ins would be:

Langdon and JVR.

Fullarton could come in as sub (if the forward line isn't functioning, Petty goes back and Fulla comes on and goes forward).

Out: Lever and BBB

10 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Did you watch the first Q. May started on Waterman and gave May a bath. Took him up the ground and away from his defensive spot whilst also hitting the score board. They made the change at 1/4 time and swapped Tmac and May over.

Since the loss of Jacko, we have been trying to find a 2nd ruck / fwd (not fwd who we ask to ruck).  They could not get their head around Grundy (he was pure ruck) and now they traded for Fullerton for this role.  10 rounds in we still have not played him.  This band aid philosophy including defender Petty to fwd is clearly not working.  BBB is done.  Billings is ok around the ground but get him anywhere near the goals and he is a "dear in the headlights".  Send him back as a HFF and get him some confidence.  Petty to defence to play a system and get hands on the ball.

Play fwd as a fwd, ruck as a ruck and def as a def.  Keep it simple.

Out - BBB, Lever, Billings, 

IN - JVR, Fullerton, Langdon 

Goodwin says we have taken a lot of learnings out of last week.  I am sure he will roll out a strong strategy this week.  As a strategic thinker, he currently is graded “fail” so we live in hope. 

meanwhile if you look at the draw ahead and think realistically, ouch …now at 6-4, 

if MFC loses 6-5 and it’s definitely panic stations

Even if we think optimistically after 6-5, we would likely end up probably looking at 13-10 for the season. That’s a likely 7th position finish at best.  At worst we lose the 50:50 games and we would miss finals.  FFS the eagles loss hurts a lot. 

Need to beat the Saints !!! 

Posted (edited)

A bit deflated. Feels like there are few options to improve the team - almost as if we're 3 or 4 players short. Look forward to seeing who we can add in the mid season draft.

I was hugely optimistic about Petty forward last season. But, unfortunately, it just hasn't worked so far. I can't help but feel he was rushed into the team before he was ready and has lost some confidence - this is also evident in his kicking for goal: 2 goals, 8 behinds!

It may have been lost in the discussion over his lack of goals, but he actually had 13 hitouts last week and 5 tackles. The most Van Rooyen has had this year is 7. Petty also looked far more tenacious in the centre, and I do sense he is desperate to contribute. I would be happy to keep Petty forward and pinch hit for Gawn and allow Van Rooyen to remain forward permanently. It's possible that if Petty feels he just needs to pop up and kick a few goals here and there, rather than being the 'main man', he may play a bit more naturally. Tomlinson plays to cover Lever.

INS: Tomlinson, Langdon, Van Rooyen

OUT: Lever, Billings, Brown

Edited by wisedog
  • Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 23:29, David-Demon said:

OUT: BBB   should never get another game.

Lever (concussion)

Woey.

IN:  Tomlinson

JVR

Langdon

Somehow or other Fullerton needs to be also blooded... dunno how but when I can't even give a 6.5.4.3 vote for that pathetic effort I am in a quandry.

The voting was difficult. Given who we played it gives a fair reason for concern.

There are a few outs but this is a team that only just lost to the premiers last year in a final we should have won.

Sunday's game was a shocker and it's really difficult to work out what's happening. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

But you’d also love to win games yes? 

Because dropping Clarry for one of those guys is, right now, making our team worse. 

Anyone who would even contemplate dropping Clarry needs to sign him or herself into a Psychiatric Ward!!

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, BangBnagBang said:

Did you watch the first Q. May started on Waterman and gave May a bath. Took him up the ground and away from his defensive spot whilst also hitting the score board. They made the change at 1/4 time and swapped Tmac and May over.

He only kicked 1 goal on him 4 on McDonald. May should have played. The backline was a shambles.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

I don't think you can have T-Mac and Tommo in the same backline.

B Brown has to go based on Sunday's game but showed way better form than Fullarton at Casey last week.

Hunter was horrible and deserves to be dropped from Casey.

I like the idea of AMW getting a game but not if it's in the backline.

Sestan goes missing for stretches of the game and Tholstrupp is NQR (Not Quite Ready).

I don't think we can look to Casey for too many answers but my ins would be:

Langdon and JVR.

Fullarton could come in as sub (if the forward line isn't functioning, Petty goes back and Fulla comes on and goes forward).

Out: Lever and BBB

Can we trial Tommo fwd?

Can't be any worse than Bbb or Petty. I don't mean to be taking shots at them as but something needs to give

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Anyone who would even contemplate dropping Clarry needs to sign him or herself into a Psychiatric Ward!!

Clarry is the number 1 problem in the midfield. He is unfit and should be dropped. You saying he shouldn't has justified my calling but don't worry gutless Goodwin won't drop him he never makes many changes it will be van Rooyen and Langdon in Brown and Lever out. Which means I won't be going to the footy because Billings will be playing. We drop this game I'm calling for Goodwin's head.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Vomit 2

13 hours ago, layzie said:

Jack Billings or Issac Weetra? Choose 

Give me Weetra any day at least there was no expectations on Weetra Billings was pick 3.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Clarry is the number 1 problem in the midfield. He is unfit and should be dropped. You saying he shouldn't has justified my calling but don't worry gutless Goodwin won't drop him he never makes many changes it will be van Rooyen and Langdon in Brown and Lever out. Which means I won't be going to the footy because Billings will be playing. We drop this game I'm calling for Goodwin's head.

You're going to be super conflicted if he makes an additional change, which you'd seemingly support, but that change involves Tomlinson coming in.

• Like 1