POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

47 minutes ago, RedLegs23 said:

Clayton Oliver is playing lost.

It's a very odd game we're playing with Clarry. He's super low on clearance numbers and I don't know if I'm reading into it or not, but he seems to be playing an unnatural game to him. Which is probably what you're alluding to. He's a see ball, get ball genius, and I think we're trying to add layers to his game, which I only hope will improve his game going forward.

47 minutes ago, layzie said:

Have you ever seen someone want to will their team to win as much as Trac?

Jack Viney? Steven May?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

Expected Scores:

#AFLBluesDees Final xScores:

CARL 75 from expected 51.1 (+2 rushed)

MELB 73 from expected 72.4 (+3 rushed)

Those first 5 goals being all goals is the only reason they won. Honestly I’m fed up with finding ways to not beat Carlton. 

Would be nice if we could kick that straight regularly. Other than the Port game, we never seem to be the team that is in the game because we have kicked straight. We are the team that keeps the opposition in the game because we don’t kick straight.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

It's a very odd game we're playing with Clarry. He's super low on clearance numbers and I don't know if I'm reading into it or not, but he seems to be playing an unnatural game to him. Which is probably what you're alluding to. He's a see ball, get ball genius, and I think we're trying to add layers to his game, which I only hope will improve his game going forward.

Jack Viney? Steven May?

Is there an "oh yeah, that's right" react button?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, layzie said:

Been waiting a while for this and will continue to. I think Riv could offer a lot in there with a turn of pace and just a different look.

He was very good against Brisbane when we pushed him in there in the final quarter. He won 4 or 5 clearances in one quarter.

35 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Are they waiting until Salem is back to experiment more here?

That's what I'm hoping.

35 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

I like him a lot. I reckon he has paid his dues now.

Maybe he competes with Billings for the half forward spot when Salo comes back. Woey needs to be able to fill holes wherever we need them though to get a place in the side.

So far, so good.

3 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Jack Viney? Steven May?

It’s very easy to say that it’s his finger or lack of preseason. I think we are seeing someone really battling his demons on and off the field. 

I hope he gets through it as I’m starting to think we may not see him return to his very best this year or possibly (god forbid) ever again. I thought he turned a corner last week, but something tonight was just a little off in his positioning , his attack on the contest and his willingness to cover the ground.  

30 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Rivers is not skilled enough.

We will see on that score. I have a sneaky suspicion he is.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

Smug, dismissive call it what you want.

Our midfield was exposed early tonight when the game was there to be won. Sure stoppages would have evened up when Carlton stopped dead in the last. But as far as I’m concerned that’s red time stoppage wins. 

We got opened up when it counted. I’ll give us a small out because of the 5 day break, but the failure to adapt to wet weather footy is disgustingly embarrassing..

You're talking about tonight, which I agree with.

Richmond game, I did not.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, layzie said:

Would anyone be offended if i said that Carlton fans are braindead morons?

Special mention to the knuckle draggers hurling abuse, spitting and chucking rubbish at the umpires as they were walking off.  Lucky they have that perspex thing to cover them or they would have copped it. 

Saw umpire 32 stop, glare at one of them and just shook his head in disgust before walking down under the stand. 

Absolute filthy animals. 

Anyone would have thought they had been screwed out of a win.

Edited by JTR
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

The rest periods are pre planned by Selwyn...

It's a coaches prerogative to over ride P.A.

Yes you may upset the apple cart in a team sense but every coach in the AFL would know the odds of winning a game from 3, 4 and 5 goals (to zip) down in the first half.  6 is basically kiss the game goodbye territory against anyone accept the worst rated clubs.

Even after three goals, you simply have to close the gate and try and shut the game down in then hope that you can wrestle it  back on your terms.

Max needed to hang in there until we wrestled back some composure and clearances through the middle.

The odds of comming back and winning from about 4 down (early in a match) are very slim at AFL level, something like 10% - 15%. 

From 5 & 6 goals down you're pretty much toast unless playing someone like the Eagles (at their worst), North or the Tigers (when they were at the peak of  being decimated by injuries as per when we played them).

To take your best and only genuine ruckman off after going three goals down early is tantamount to handing them the game on a platter.  And that's what we did.

Also where was the review with Max (at any stage up to and including the half time break), to show him that hitting the ball directly forward at CBs was mostly ending up in the hands of thier defensive sweeper?

Not as often but also happened around ground on occasions.

The sweeper then either ran around and kicked quickly into their 50 or got a quick handball over to Walsh or Cripps over the top who did same.

We also allowed Cripps to run out the front of stoppages far too often, which is a well known trait of his.  The old footy adage ... "Don't get beaten by what you know" applies here.  The Pies did a great job of stiffling Cripps in this area last week.  What happened to us?  Did we not learn and practice or set up for this during the week?

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dodos Demons said:

Would be nice if we could kick that straight regularly. Other than the Port game, we never seem to be the team that is in the game because we have kicked straight. We are the team that keeps the opposition in the game because we don’t kick straight.  

That’s not really what tonight’s expected score says though. 

Our score was pretty much bang on expected. So whilst we missed easy shots, we also nailed harder ones. 

They were +20 though, which means they kicked above expectation. 

A bit incongruous because of our bad misses but tonight was more about them not missing almost any shots. That 6.0.36 start could have been 4.2.26 and the game would have felt different. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

It's a coaches prerogative to over ride P.A.

Yes you may upset the apple cart in a team sense but every coach in the AFL would know the odds of winning a game from 3, 4 and 5 goals (to zip) down in the first half.  6 is basically kiss the game goodbye territory against anyone accept the worst rated clubs.

Even after three goals, you simply have to close the gate and try and shut the game down in then hope that you can wrestle it  back on your terms.

Max needed to hang in there until we wrestled back some composure and clearances through the middle.

The odds of comming back and winning from about 4 down (early in a match) are very slim at AFL level, something like 10% - 15%. 

From 5 & 6 goals down you're pretty much toast unless playing someone like the Eagles (at their worst), North or the Tigers (when they were at the peak of  being decimated by injuries as per when we played them).

To take your best and only genuine ruckman off after going three goals down early is tantamount to handing them the game on a platter.  And that's what we did.

Also where was the review with Max (at any stage up to and including the half time break), to show him that hitting the ball directly forward at CBs was mostly ending up in the hands of thier defensive sweeper?

Not as often but also happened around ground on occasions.

The sweeper then either ran around and kicked quickly into their 50 or got a quick handball over to Walsh or Cripps over the top who did same.

We also allowed Cripps to run out the front of stoppages far too often, which is a well known trait of his.  The old footy adage ... "Don't get beaten by what you know" applies here.  The Pies did a great job of stiffling Cripps in this area last week.  What happened to us?  Did we not learn and practice or set up for this during the week?

So much interference, holding and obstructing off the ball. Didn't seem to matter in the first 3 qtrs. Then in last qtr we got too close for comfort and Carlton would have slipped out of the Eight.

Curnow kicked 1 behind. Walsh kicked 1 behind. They were the only Carlton players to register a behind for the entire game.

That’s three games in a row that Carlton have beaten us due to their accuracy.

Our accuracy was neither here/neither there tonight. Petty and Fritta were only blatant misses.

• Like 2

Compare Michael Vosses press conference to his Geelong counterpart. Full of praise for Melbourne and Petracca in particular. So different from Scott;s effort. Seems a well balanced and fair coach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Carlton are ordinary. We just needed someone to stop the rot in the first quarter, and sadly no one did.

They are not ordinary. They have more marking power than us, a competitive midfield and their own Jake Lever down back. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, layzie said:

Would anyone be offended if i said that Carlton fans are braindead morons?

Absolutely!

I know some braindead morons and they are significantly better people than Blues supporters

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Curnow kicked 1 behind. Walsh kicked 1 behind. They were the only Carlton players to register a behind for the entire game.

That’s three games in a row that Carlton have beaten us due to their accuracy.

Our accuracy was neither here/neither there tonight. Petty and Fritta were only blatant misses.

Kozi snap, Chandler set shot 40 out slight angle normally nails them?

Weren't good enough on the night.

Cheated out of a 2 goal mind you, May finger tip and JVR holding the ball.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 1

I know I wasn’t at the game and missed the second half but…

Im not that upset. Any other day we win. The Blues are average. Seeing Trac and the team give everything and getting back in it was great. When will their ruckman be kicking goals from 50 like they did in the first Q? For the first time in years our inside midfield isn’t working.  They will come good. 

The Blues can have this win. I want the win in September. And i reckon we will get it

8 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Did the umpires start the game before the goal reviewer was complete on May’s touched ball ??

They friggen brushed it aside very, very quickly the blurriness of the Camera shot was and is amatuer hour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Most one sided 1 pt loss in recent memory. The fightback was excellent, I'm sure plenty will read way too much into it but I'm proud they never gave up.

Smashed at centre clearance. Carlton kicked 5 from CC and that was really the difference.

With due deference to Binman, it certainly looked like centre clearances were important tonight.

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

My Kingdom for a key forward.

Agree. Roy (JVR) better stand up soon. I think he got more touches tonight than usual, but how long is a work in progress? 

1 hour ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Have to do it more often but he wants a brownlow.

It won't be this year though, he's had very average Start of the season. It would be hard for him to get to the top.of that ladder from here. I'd think Max's got more chances as of today.