Luke Davies-Uniacke

37 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

My bet he goes to the Pies

If they even have the slightest interest in a player, it would be hard to ignore.

Huge crowds, big games and a culture that seems to embrace each player and allow them to express themselves 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

With each passing week, LDU is looking like what we need more and more

Go hard Demons

100% can hit the target something our mids cant, and may be the missing link to our f50 etry woes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DubDee said:

can’t imagine how with their salary cap issues. unless Pendlebury retires 

exactly you cannot be winning premierships and have cap space to spare - just doesn't happen. Well have to put in an over-top-bid to lure him though. 900-1.1M per year on a 5 year contract. I guess we just have to accept something like that. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 1

Definitely worth a stab but wouldn't be selling the farm to land.

We need a quality outside mid as well.

I see him as a 50/50 inside / outside type.

My worry is who replaces Vines if we happened to get LDU as i don't see him as a big extractor (first use) type mid being more of an inside (clearance) /outside player?

Clarry used to share some of the load with Vines with extractions (i could be wrong but that was my take) but appears to have lost this part of his game this season.  If we can get him back to assiting.here then we're all good.  But what if we can't and he's cooked in this part of his (old) game?

Most teams don't have more than one regular go to extractor either but Vines is ours and is getting towards the pointy end and is going to need increasing support here with an eventual replacement.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2024 at 19:10, Moonshadow said:

Very, very talented.

Spent 7 years at a crappy club watching a turn over of numerous coaches. Clarko hasn't turned the ship around yet, and seems to prefer the young high draft pick mids.

Put LDU in a successful club playing finals with good development and he'd shine.

Yes please, if the price is right.

Right price is essential but also we need to build the attraction of the MFC in his eyes, whilst still meeting our needs for a gun tall/ruckman, key forwards, strong midfielders. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

LDU is a $900k player and our cap is already stretched due to the Oliver, Petracca and Pickett contracts. I see us as being more likely to shed players this year than to add them. 

Doesn't Brayshaw's retirement clear some space? And wasn't McDonald's post-Flag contract quite generous? 

• Like 2

Beyond Brayshaw, there's Brown, McDonald, Hunter, Petty and Tomlinson that would be all likely be on above-average salaries and may come off the books this year through trade, retirement or delisting. Smith will be gone too, maybe Melksham, and we didn't replace Grundy's salary this year either.

If we replace a lot of those players in the draft, that is a huge amount of salary freed up.

The question is whether we go all-out again next year, or if use 2026 to develop some kids to get us ready for a home-grown tilt in 2026.

• Like 1

I thought he was a RFA at the end of this year, but it seems that it is next year.

Not sure if North would trade him, given they will likely be bottom 4 again next year. If they get band 1 compo they would get a 2nd top 4 pick, which you would think is better than anything anyone could offer this year.

I guess if we continue to slide we may have a high enough pick, or potentially St Kilda will.

• Like 1

Question for Deelanders

North come to you and offer LDU straight swap for Clarrie.

Clarrie says he wouldn’t mind a change of scenery 

Do you do it?

There’s a few extra points to ponder re this I would add pros and cons but will see the responses first

• Thinking 2

16 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

Beyond Brayshaw, there's Brown, McDonald, Hunter, Petty and Tomlinson that would be all likely be on above-average salaries and may come off the books this year through trade, retirement or delisting. Smith will be gone too, maybe Melksham, and we didn't replace Grundy's salary this year either.

If we replace a lot of those players in the draft, that is a huge amount of salary freed up.

The question is whether we go all-out again next year, or if use 2026 to develop some kids to get us ready for a home-grown tilt in 2026.

The club would have already factored in Brown, McDonald, Hunter, and Tomlinson coming off the books (or taking less money) when they signed the Oliver, Petracca and Pickett deals. The Brayshaw contract is still unresolved and Petty, who is on a good contract for the club, still has one more year and may stay.

We have been in the win flag mode for the last four years, which we can only assume means we have been effectively running over the salary cap by backloading our long-term deals. We can continue to do this if we think we are still in the flag window, but otherwise we need to U-turn and reset our cap. 2024 was our last chance saloon IMO.

• Like 1

Don't think he'll move and believe the price would be too high for us if he did. Would love him because he's an absolute gun! Reckon he'll have a few years of being a top 5 mid. I think if north finish the year with a bit more promise he'll sign on. I think North will turn the corner soon and shoot up to the middle sort of tier with an absolutely elite midfield. Forwards aren't too bad either, need a bit more quality in the smalls though and probably another gun tall or medium. Obviously defence is the issue and they'll probably need to target elite defenders as we did.

Edited by RedBlueandTrue
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Question for Deelanders

Do you do it?

There’s a few extra points to ponder re this I would add pros and cons but will see the responses first

and their second round pick and yes I'd think about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

LDU is a $900k player and our cap is already stretched due to the Oliver, Petracca and Pickett contracts. I see us as being more likely to shed players this year than to add them. 

We'll have cash this year, first time in a while though we did have enough to get Grundy last year. 

Question for Deelanders

Do you do it?

I think that would be a win for us even though I feel Clarrie could still get back to his best. When you add in his long term contract and recent issues it could solve a problem. Not sure why North would want to do that though.  

If resolved to losing LDU I'd think they are better off taking the FA compensation to the draft. 

Also not impossible he stays. They have a some good young players and managed to sign Larkey longterm. At 25 it wouldn't be a terrible idea for him to stick with the Roos

• Like 1

Question for Deelanders

Do you do it?

I would cry for a couple of days 

then accept the deal

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Question for Deelanders

Do you do it?

I am of the belief Clarrie can be back to somewhere close to his best next year, with the caveat he has with a full preseason.

However, there is no denying LDU is a more polished product and would suit our intent to follow the top teams and a shift in game style.

It’s a yes from me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

and their second round pick and yes I'd think about it.

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

We'll have cash this year, first time in a while though we did have enough to get Grundy last year. 

I think that would be a win for us even though I feel Clarrie could still get back to his best. When you add in his long term contract and recent issues it could solve a problem. Not sure why North would want to do that though.  

If resolved to losing LDU I'd think they are better off taking the FA compensation to the draft. 

Also not impossible he stays. They have a some good young players and managed to sign Larkey longterm. At 25 it wouldn't be a terrible idea for him to stick with the Roos

53 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I would cry for a couple of days 

then accept the deal

21 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I am of the belief Clarrie can be back to somewhere close to his best next year, with the caveat he has with a full preseason.

However, there is no denying LDU is a more polished product and would suit our intent to follow the top teams and a shift in game style.

It’s a yes from me

These were the points for pondering in bringing it up

a) LDU has not got nearly close to Oliver levels in terms of consistency, game impact, ability and standing in the game

b) Is Oliver part of the current problem there appears to be a disconnect in the group

c) LDU has started to show some more consistent glimpses of his ability is he just about to reach his potential 

d) Is Oliver at a point that without a change he will never get back to the levels he has been before 

e) Sometimes you have to give to get

f) Love Oliver and everything he’s given us but if the outcome benefits both he and Melbourne I’m not against it and some deals are win wins for both clubs

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

a) LDU has not got nearly close to Oliver levels in terms of consistency, game impact, ability and standing in the game

b) Is Oliver part of the current problem there appears to be a disconnect in the group

c) LDU has started to show some more consistent glimpses of his ability is he just about to reach his potential 

d) Is Oliver at a point that without a change he will never get back to the levels he has been before 

f) Love Oliver and everything he’s given us but if the outcome benefits both he and Melbourne I’m not against it and some deals are win wins for both clubs

Oliver is set to be paid so much that we will only BREAKEVEN on our investment in his contract IF he returns to his All Australian best.

Oliver was an absolute top line player when he had the power and pace to break away from stoppages. But when he does not have this, he gets caught and his lack of disposal skill makes him a big liability against the best teams.

Can Oliver get back to his best given his issues and age? I think it is unlikely and I see that this offseason may be our only opportunity to get off his contract without having to eat too much of it.

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

agree with these points for consideration

another one is would North take the risk on Oliver given personal issues when they should get good draft picks for LDU otherwise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Oliver is set to be paid so much that we will only BREAKEVEN on our investment in his contract IF he returns to his All Australian best.

Oliver was an absolute top line player when he had the power and pace to break away from stoppages. But when he does not have this, he gets caught and his lack of disposal skill makes him a big liability against the best teams.

Can Oliver get back to his best given his issues and age? I think it is unlikely and I see that this offseason may be our only opportunity to get off his contract without having to eat too much of it.

I think he'll bounce back and don't believe we should trade him. He's an integral part of our midfield and a generational contested ball winner... back him in. In terms of age, he's only 26 so he has plenty of quality footy ahead of him.

And I know this is a thread about LDU but jeeeez what I'd give for Nick Larkey.

• Like 1