PREGAME: Rd 02 vs Hawthorn

14 hours ago, RedBlueandTrue said:

Nope, they've changed it this year. Eg Tsatas sub after being named on field.

A quote from The Age suggesting that the rule is the same except the number named?

The substitute rule will remain the same with four players on the bench plus the sub, however clubs will now name 18 players plus five players on the bench with three emergencies.

Advertisement

• Thanks 2

Not really pertaining to this thread but thought folks might be interested to know in advance. The players are training on Monday at Gosch’s then flying to Adelaide either Tues or Weds. They’re staying in Adelaide until after the gather round match, ie. not coming back to Melbourne for the five days in between round three and gather round. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 12

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Not really pertaining to this thread but thought folks might be interested to know in advance. The players are training on Monday at Gosch’s then flying to Adelaide either Tues or Weds. They’re staying in Adelaide until after the gather round match, ie. not coming back to Melbourne for the five days in between round three and gather round. 

Extremely wise move by the club to not head back home between the Port and Adelaide game. Last year they looked really flat on the second leg of the Perth-Adelaide double and arguably should have flown from Perth to Adelaide and spend the week there prior to Gather round.

Interesting that they're heading to Adelaide 3-4 days prior to the Port game which would mean about 9 nights in Adelaide in total?? Hopefully some good bonding takes place.

Really hope we can win at least one of the two SA games.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Well i am amazed Petty has been selected so early. Off the Bench surely. Hope we don’t get any early injuries. 

most interesting 

It’s a little perplexing. Petty’s lack of footy aside, I thought the balance of our team last week was pretty good so dropping a mid for another tall seems odd. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Good news about staying put in Adelaide, and I am sure our large brigade of SA boys will be especially happy with that.

Good time to remind Petty how far away he is from his family in Adelaide too 🙃

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Well i am amazed Petty has been selected so early. Off the Bench surely. Hope we don’t get any early injuries. 

most interesting 

Devils advocate.  I'm not suggesting he is being gifted a game but these sort of decisions would definitely be memory banked by a player and his management during contract decisions. He is only human.  Being selected this week is a massive sign of faith by the FD towards him which may get paid back in spades in the next 12 months or so.

Hmm,  maybe I am suggesting he is being gifted a game but if he turns out to be the forward conmection we are looking for I'm ok with it. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 1

Petty has to be the sub looking at the bench, and tbh I don’t mind that move. Give him a bit of match practice with the big boys before unleashing him properly next week. 

Big thing that I hope is being drummed into the players is respect the opponent, I’ve got no doubt they want some big scalps this season to propel them forward with their development. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Devils advocate.  I'm not suggesting he is being gifted a game but these sort of decisions would definitely be memory banked by a player and his management during contract decisions. He is only human.  Being selected this week is a massive sign of faith by the FD towards him which may get paid back in spades in the next 12 months or so.

Hmm,  maybe I am suggesting he is being gifted a game but if he turns out to be the forward conmection we are looking for I'm ok with it. 

I agree. I just hope he is ready 

Mitchell will target him for sure 

• Like 1

Hearing that Brown will be the sub. A very disappointing decision and another Goody style decision of not rewarding the player in form. We saw it with Spargo. Hope it doesn't blow up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

Yes on seven news they said Brown was given the news the he is out for Petty.

Strange Sub as he can only play one position 

• Like 2

Just now, DeeZee said:

Did they say Brown was dropped or just the sub? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dannyz said:

Did they say Brown was dropped or just the sub? 

Exact words were , “ he was given the news, out for Petty “

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

This wouldn't want to backfire, what happens if Petty can't get near it as for Casey last weekend?

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Well Petty better come in and kick six if that’s the case… seems one step forward two steps back with selection these days, although the TMac inclusion looks genius in hindsight, so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Edited by demoncat
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Exact words were , “ he was given the news, out for Petty “

He can’t be out because final teams have already been announced and both were named. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Megatron said:

He can’t be out because final teams have already been announced and both were named. 

That can only mean he is the Sub.

Unless 7 news are making things up.

• Like 1

Not sure BBB as sub makes a lot of sense if that’s true, but they can push someone up the ground and put him in the square if there’s an injury elsewhere.

I’d guess it’s a plan to rest him and transition Petty in over the next 3 weeks with 2 games in Adelaide on a short break. Play Petty this week against a softish defence, probably play Brown against Port and maybe rest JVR, then Petty miss the second Adelaide game or some combo like that. 

• Like 1

He could be a late out, say he is injured and bring in one of the emergency players

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Thanks.  Any idea if there will be some training sessions for us SA based folk to attend?

My wife did tell me there was some sort of Gawn and Petracca event where you could pay to get merch signed on the Tuesday night in between games, but thats not my thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

Thanks.  Any idea if there will be some training sessions for us SA based folk to attend?

My wife did tell me there was some sort of Gawn and Petracca event where you could pay to get merch signed on the Tuesday night in between games, but thats not my thing.

Idk for sure but I’d hazard a guess that there will be at least a Captain’s Run for each match. 

1 hour ago, Dannyz said:

Hearing that Brown will be the sub. A very disappointing decision and another Goody style decision of not rewarding the player in form. We saw it with Spargo. Hope it doesn't blow up. 

we don’t have all the information so why disappointing? what if Brown knee didn’t pull up great and he wouldn’t last a full game? obviously if Brown was fully fit he would stay in

*if you do have all this info then apologies

• Like 2