2024 Fixture

biggestred

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Fixture due out Thu Nov 16 at this stage.

We're still expected to play Sydney in Sydney for round "zero".

The AFL is too inept to lay out the whole fixture in Nov. They'll stuff everyone around releasing  the fixture in pieces right through to next year. 

Im expecting a shocker especially with possibly another round + stupid Gather round + Cattery.

Wouldnt put it past the AFL to play us at the Cattery for the opening of their new grandstands in R1 or 2.

Hawkins and Rohan will run down the race doing cartwheels. Pies will love it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, biggestred said:

ah ive just figured out what this round 0 and then a bye in round 5 is about.

its for anzac day which is a thursday next year. very difficult to play on the weekend before or the weekend afterwards. so the 4 teams going north for round zero will be us, pies, bombers and richmond.

Well done. Good thinking.

Although Essendon are not part of the rumoured teams going up for round 0 - it's Pies, Blues, Dees, Tigers.

Makes complete sense why we'd have a bye around Anzac Day to prevent us from having a 4 or 5 day break as a result of a mid week anzac eve game..

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Wont happen. Dillon is just a McLachlan clone.

This article may (or may not) be of interest to you and others.   I'm yet to form an opinion on Dillon.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/footy-front-and-centre-andrew-dillon-makes-his-mark-as-ceo-with-new-appointments-20231102-p5eh32.html

• Like 2

• Demonland changed the title to 2024 Fixture

Way to go AFL. 

Send the top 4 vic clubs North to stick it to the NRL. 

Stuff the actual members and supporters of the clubs. 

Imbeciles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 2

Now that they can seat 40k there's no reason for the big clubs to avoid the ground.

Frankly I expect that GFC will want a few mega home games simply because the local crowd will demand it.

Their problem is making big money at the MCG where they play 3 games.

Conservatively they need 70k plus at the MCG to match the revenue they receive from 40k at Kardinia Park. The simple answer is drop the MCG. Not stupid in that given how much taxpayers have spent on Geelong it should be fully utilised

• Like 5

Just read the Age article suggesting St Kilda are trying to get a home match at the MCG against Collingwood in round 2. I for one am totally over non MCG tenant clubs getting home matches at the MCG, I really hope Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood push back hard at the AFL on this. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Just read the Age article suggesting St Kilda are trying to get a home match at the MCG against Collingwood in round 2. I for one am totally over non MCG tenant clubs getting home matches at the MCG, I really hope Melbourne, Richmond and Collingwood push back hard at the AFL on this. 

Just need Collingwood to push back on it. Doesn’t even need to be pushed back hard. A lil nudge is all it takes when you’re Collingwood. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ANG13 said:

Why would they push back.

Playing an away game at your home ground is something most clubs wouldn't complain about.

AFL should squash it themselves as they need to make Docklands profitable

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Why would they push back.

Playing an away game at your home ground is something most clubs wouldn't complain about.

AFL should squash it themselves as they need to make Docklands profitable

Yes unlikely they will push back when they get an extra game the MCG. But I think they might and should if Carlton play GC again at the MCG. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Fixture due out Thu Nov 16 at this stage.

We're still expected to play Sydney in Sydney for round "zero".

I know others aren't thrilled with this, but I personally can't wait because it means I can immediately start the season with a game!  Really important to me given I suspect I won't the same flexibility to travel next year and I'll still be based in Syd

But sucks for a lot of supporters who would otherwise be able to attend our first game of the season of course

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
(Not to be all me me me 😅)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

I know others aren't thrilled with this, but I personally can't wait because it means I can immediately start the season with a game!  Really important to me given I suspect I won't the same flexibility to travel next year and I'll still be based in Syd

But sucks for a lot of supporters who would otherwise be able to attend our first game of the season of course

i think the other thing is that it says we are now a 'big club' to be placed in showcase games

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Demonland said:

1000% the Dees

I think it would be fitting that the Dees rather than St Kilda should be the team to welcome the new grandstand at GHMBA considering we’ve played the most games there since 1990 (out of all non Geelong sides)

AFL missed a trick in scheduling us in Sydney at the SCG then Geelong at GHMBA to open the season.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Firstly, VIC based supporters can’t complain about a round “zero’ road trip given we’ve opened the season in Victoria 34 out of 38 years (including 2024) since the comp became national in 1987. And in one of those road trips there wasn’t even a crowd in attendance which nullified the home ground advantage.

Secondly, Sydney ain’t exactly in the middle of nowhere. A 10 hr road trip or a $250 return flight makes it pretty achievable if you want to see the game live.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Firstly, VIC based supporters can’t complain about a round “zero’ road trip given we’ve opened the season in Victoria 34 out of 38 years (including 2024) since the comp became national in 1987. And in one of those road trips there wasn’t even a crowd in attendance which nullified the home ground advantage.

Secondly, Sydney ain’t exactly in the middle of nowhere. A 10 hr road trip or a $250 return flight makes it pretty achievable if you want to see the game live.

Or a $90 each way, 10 hr train trip 😂

• Like 1

With the new 40k capacity down at KP and the enormous match day revenue the Cats rake in you'd think they'd now be at a point where they'd rather play the best sides down there rather than give away their big home ground advantage to the likes of Collingwood, in particular. I'm sure that given a choice they'd play 11 games there a year so the away games at the G thing must be an AFL directive. 

• Like 1