Tyler Keitel

ignition.

I raised this initially in another thread, but thought it warrants a thread of its own.

What are your thoughts of Tyler Keitel for some added full forward / centre half forward depth? I can't seem to find a better fit from the state or minor league competitions.

Hailing from the WAFL, Keitel emerged as the leading goal kicker in 2023, netting 57 goals in across 18 games. At 27 years old, he stands tall at 196 cm, weighing 91 kg, and ready to make an impact. With an average of 3.2 goals per game, 5.1 marks, and 13.9 disposals, his stats and vision (below) suggest he just might stand a chance at the AFL level within a full time environment.

VIDEO HERE:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/911692/wafl-showreel-r3-tyler-keitel-highlights?videoId=911692&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1682230200001

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1012900/wafl-showreel-r19-tyler-keitel-highlights?videoId=1012900&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1692425400001

https://www.afl.com.au/video/985170/wafl-showreel-r15-tyler-keitel-highlights?videoId=985170&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1690006200001

https://www.afl.com.au/video/911692/wafl-showreel-r3-tyler-keitel-highlights?videoId=911692&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1682230200001

*Has a booming kick on him, marks 55m out and slots them through consistently. Can take a solid pack mark as well.*

The only potential concern is his age, at 27, because it's rare to see someone drafted at his age (I can't recall anyone to be honest). But when compared to other options like Schache, if both of these blokes were on our list at Casey I have no doubt Keitel would be called up before Schache time and time again. Even over the likes to the slowing McDonald and Brown who will both be 31 next year.

In my opinion, he seems like a promising prospect and should compliment any AFL listed forward options we might be targeting during the trade period. Worth considering, especially from a feasible rookie perspective.

image.thumb.jpeg.41b0c31e3ee47c0d7e3dc8fba07adf94.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

I feel like the selection committee at Casey will have a hard time fitting in all these key position prospects next year. Verrell, Farris-White, Brown, McDonald, Sestan, Jefferson, Schche and another key forward/ruck that people want us to recruit. Throw in we'll already have Tomlinson, Adams and K. Turner in defence. Don't know how we can give them all a proper opportunity to develop/push for selection.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

No.  Ok for a state league but he’s not AFL standard imv. 

Out of interest why not?

Clubs seem to draft "AFL standard" midfielders all the time and then try and teach them to play in different positions.

It doesn't seem like its easy to train non goal kickers to start kicking goals. This bloke can kick goals.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

I feel like the selection committee at Casey will have a hard time fitting in all these key position prospects next year. Verrell, Farris-White, Brown, McDonald, Sestan, Jefferson, Schche and another key forward/ruck that people want us to recruit. Throw in we'll already have Tomlinson, Adams and K. Turner in defence. Don't know how we can give them all a proper opportunity to develop/push for selection.

Faris-White is not a key position player and either is Sestan for a start. We know we have injuries and maybe a retirement in there as well, so no problems.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

Out of interest why not?

Clubs seem to draft "AFL standard" midfielders all the time and then try and teach them to play in different positions.

It doesn't seem like its easy to train non goal kickers to start kicking goals. This bloke can kick goals.

Yes and Mihocek says hi.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Faris-White is not a key position player and either is Sestan for a start. We know we have injuries and maybe a retirement in there as well, so no problems.

Farris-White is 206cm. If he's not playing in the ruck (key position) I hope they're not banking on him being a rebounding half back flanker.

And Sestan while maybe not key pillar position is a classic 3rd tall/mid sized forward IMO in the Tim Membrey mould. Can push up to play a high half forward role at a pinch, but certainly not his one wood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MadAsHell said:

Farris-White is 206cm. If he's not playing in the ruck (key position) I hope they're not banking on him being a rebounding half back flanker.

And Sestan while maybe not key pillar position is a classic 3rd tall/mid sized forward IMO in the Tim Membrey mould. Can push up to play a high half forward role at a pinch, but certainly not his one wood.

Sorry, I don't regard ruckmen as key position players, just as I don't view mids as key position players.

I view FF, CHF, CHB and RB as the key position players.

Anyway that is how I think of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned in the other thread that a mate is a Life Member at West Perth, so I watch their games when I have the chance. I don't think he's AFL standard. I messaged my mate about the interest in him on Demonland, and he replied that Keitel is talented, but very selfish. And that's coming from someone who works with the players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

He’s not AFL standard , to slow and lacks lateral movement.

Good state league player. Trained with West Coast during their Covid years and they didn’t take him on

Always the good intel..  cheers PSD 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Yes and Mihocek says hi.

Mihocek alone won't solve our problems.

He's a great player yes, but how many years will we get from him (he too will be 31 next year) and at what price? now that he's a premiership player and 5x leading goal kick for Collingwood. We'll be paying maximum value for a player with 2 years left at best.

Keitel isn't proposed as a stand-alone replacement. However, if we're to fill this full forward void and develop some depth we need multiple acquisitions (of differing salary cap values) to cover Schache, McDonald, and Brown who are are not worthy or cooked or both.

5 minutes ago, ignition. said:

Mihocek alone won't solve our problems.

He's a great player yes, but how many years will we get from him (he too will be 31 next year) and at what price? now that he's a premiership player and 5x leading goal kick for Collingwood. We'll be paying maximum value for a player with 2 years left at best.

Keitel isn't proposed as a stand-alone replacement. However, if we're to fill this full forward void and develop some depth we need multiple acquisitions (of differing salary cap values) to cover Schache, McDonald, and Brown who are are not worthy or cooked or both.

I think Reds point was Mihocek was also a mature age recruit, playing lesser leagues when Collingwood nabbed him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Out of interest why not?

Just my view but he’s too slow and lacks movement. Good mark but that’s not enough. 

• Thanks 1