Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.



dee-tox

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not going to dwelve into last night's performance because I think that's been done to death.

With the list we have we simply should be contending deep into finals but the fact we've gone 2 years in a row with straight set exits is to put it bluntly, unacceptable and embarrassing. 

I'll raise a few point and see how others feel.

• Coaching restructure.

I think the likes of Stafford and Yze have done their time. I'm hoping Yze gets the senior gig at Richmond and Stafford is moved on. Since 2020, we've made zero changes to our coaching structure and if you're not careful players can get really stale with the same voice over and over again. Some fresh coaches with fresh ideas is what needed imo.

• Ruthless list management calls on senior players.

Tmac and Benny Brown are beyond cooked and still have a year to run on their contract. One or both need to be tapped on the shoulder and told thanks for your service because they're two injury prone blokes that continue to break down and clog up list space. To watch Tmac dish up that performance last night was embarrassing really. I would also put Salem up for trade. I know his form in the last two years has been poor but he'll be 29 next year and I cannot see him getting back to his standard of 2021. If he can net us a late 1st rounder or early 2nd then I'd jump at the opportunity. Another who struggles to play a full season out due to injury/illness. I'd also reward Melksham with a 1 year contract and put him on the rookie list. Trade out Jordon and Harmes for peanuts but keep Tomlinson. 

• Review our list management process.

The Brodie Grundy trade was an absolute blunder, there is no way sugar coating it. Blind Freddie could see that bringing in another a genuine number one ruck was never going to work. There were many, me included, who raised concerns regarding this decision last year and our worst fears came to fruition when we attempted to turn him into a forward which turned into another blunder. I feel bad for Grundy but Sydney will be a much better fit. We dont need to be going out and buying expensive rucks, we just need to bring in someone that come in and play a role when needed to relieve Max and even pinch hit up forward. Hayden McLean type. On other list management decisions, don't sell it to guys like Dunstan and Schache and say that there certainly will be opportunities there and then refuse to play them when we've had those opportunities open up. Goody is part of this process so he too needs to seriously reconsider how he approaches this when targeting players. We had poor Dunstan racking up close to 40 touches a game and yet we rewarded the same guys in Harmes and Jordon who were giving us absolute zero output at AFL level.

• Captaincy decision?

I'm really torn on this and hesitated leaving this one out. But is it time to make a call on the captaincy? We all love Gawn for what he's done for this footy club but he's also getting on. The two misses last night were very costly and when you're needing your captain to stand up in the moment unfortunately he just couldnt grab his chances. He also doesn't have much time left in the game and I'm starting to think maybe a fresh leader with a fresh voice could be good for the group perhaps. Still torn on this one.

Really interesting post. Agree with much of it other than the captaincy. Not sure Salem will net us much more than a late second rounder based on recent performances. Can we add him to the equation (whatever it is) to get Gold Coasts pick four?

We played much of last night like we were afraid to lose rather than daring to win. A couple of new coaches may just bring that.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

last two years has been poor but he'll be 29 next year and I cannot see him getting back to his standard of 2021. If he can net us a late 1st rounder or early 2nd then I'd jump at the opportunity. Another who struggles to play a full season out due to injury/illness

I doubt we’re getting even a high 2nd given his injuries and in that case we’d only be doing it for cap relief/list turnover.

Salo had a really nasty knee injury (thanks to a sliding in Tarryn Thomas), got OP when he came back, had his health issue and then copped injuries this year. Awful 2 year stint.

There’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a change of luck. We are at our best when he’s getting 30 touches and controlling things from half back. I wouldn’t change that unless we have a plan on how the cap space can be better spent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

I'm going to get shouted down here but I believe Max needs to step down as captain and hand it over the Lever. 

Ever since he did that Razor add in the Gold Robe he has lost some Magic. Lol.!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

My concern is that Goodwin doesn't like change and won't make the major changes to the game plan that we so desperately need

I think there is a meme out there that pertains to:

Tell me you don’t know something… etc etc

There is credible evidence in every season that  Goodwin has flexibility, makes hard decisions etc.

ps: what part of the game plan that has had us in the top 4 for 60 odd rounds consecutively would you choose to change?

 

**feeling quite terse. It’s not an overarching game plan problem, it’s a finishing problem. 

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This club needs to be more ruthless. It got credit for targeting Lever and May and broke the stereotype of safe recruiting/drafting. Those moves proved to be masterstrokes that basically got us the flag in '21 along with some decent drafting.

Unfortunately, we are yet to nail a FWD. 

With the picks we currently have + what we will get for: Grundy, Harmes, Jordon, we must be aggressive. Gawn is 31.

Yes Petty looks good, and yes JVR will hopefully come on/Jefferson might get exposure, but injuries happen - as we've seen the last two years and therefore we need depth. We need a FWD for the next 2-4 years while JVR and Jefferson learn their craft. It is no good throwing JVR to the wolves getting the best defender each week as a 20 yo.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We need to average two goals a game more next year imo. 
Assume we target accuracy every year so even though this is the most relevant way to improve I'll ignore that here.

We just need a clever, crafty forward. Not a freak, just someone to kick 30-40 a year. That might be Petty...

 And a lock down defender. 
 

Don't panic, stay the course, keep our strengths strong, bring our forward line up to afl average or slightly better and we're golden. This team will compete for 5+ years. 
 

The window is not closing, don't burn it down, small improvements will make the difference.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MurDoc516 said:

If Yze goes then that at least prompts a coaching change. We need someone who can fill the midfield coaching/assistant coaching role he fills. I think we need to either get a complete unknown and take a risk or do what we did in 2021 and go poach the best assistant in the business. Who those are, I'm not too sure and would love to hear suggestions.

Brad Miller was a top forward's coach for GWS and is now at the Suns, Dimma is cutting people left and right, make an offer and bring him in.

 

Is Michael Barlow worth a look for assistant coach, has a relationship with Choco from his tear coaching werribee and doing a good job as head coach at werribee 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have no idea, but reaching top 4 has been totally useless come finals.  We fumbled our way to that position then got found out.  All there is to say is some heads must roll and a very very tough pre season to get it right.  Our execution has been rubbish for two years. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d also be asking the club to have a think about the role Jake Lever plays.

He is an excellent interceptor but in the same manner as our forwards being defenders first, he’s not flash at actually defending.

I don’t think there’s any reason for a captaincy change, I certainly wouldn’t be giving it to Trac. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Retire: Hibbo, BBB, McDonald

Delist: Dunstan, D Smith, ?K Turner

Trade: Grundy, JJ (FA), Harmes, Tomlinson

9 or 10 out.

Trade for:

1 x ruck (replacing Grundy)
1 x forward/ruck (T Mc)
1 x quality tall or barring that a swing man tall (BBB)
1 x McAdam
1 x midfield depth 

Take 4-5 picks in the drafts including at least 2 quality picks (ie. 1/20, 6/7, 6/15/20)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Red and Blue Flame said:

This club needs to be more ruthless. It got credit for targeting Lever and May and broke the stereotype of safe recruiting/drafting. Those moves proved to be masterstrokes that basically got us the flag in '21 along with some decent drafting.

Unfortunately, we are yet to nail a FWD. 

With the picks we currently have + what we will get for: Grundy, Harmes, Jordon, we must be aggressive. Gawn is 31.

Yes Petty looks good, and yes JVR will hopefully come on/Jefferson might get exposure, but injuries happen - as we've seen the last two years and therefore we need depth. We need a FWD for the next 2-4 years while JVR and Jefferson learn their craft. It is no good throwing JVR to the wolves getting the best defender each week as a 20 yo.

 

It boggles the mind that after our 2021 season we couldn't attract a decent KPF.

Surely lot of players would like to join a premiership contender as the star KPF. This is the reason Tom Lynch joined Richmond.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


The risk vs reward in trading Salem is not at all worth it. Also the messaging is terrible - you can be a champion of the club, best mates with the two players on lifetime contracts and arguably the best field kick in the team, but if you get injured/unwell you’re out of here.
 

Salem deserves a chance to regain his form at the club, much more than certain others do. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It boggles the mind that after our 2021 season we couldn't attract a decent KPF.

Surely lot of players would like to join a premiership contender as the star KPF. This is the reason Tom Lynch joined Richmond.

Who ?

Jesus I get sick of reading this tripe. 

The only KPF available was McStay and he'd cast his lot in with the Pies.

Your mind must be easily boggled. 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Go the Biff said:

Who ?

Jesus I get sick of reading this tripe. 

The only KPF available was McStay and he'd cast his lot in with the Pies.

Your mind must be easily boggled. 

Clearly you don’t believe in the “Forward Fairy”. 

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Go the Biff said:

Who ?

Jesus I get sick of reading this tripe. 

The only KPF available was McStay and he'd cast his lot in with the Pies.

Your mind must be easily boggled. 

I believe McKay could have been an option last year. But I digress. The important thing now is what will we do next year?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


All of these post mortem/coach/tactic blaming posts miss out on the biggest factor around, and it ain't Max. I'm talking about the sheer perversity of the element called LUCK. Luck is involved in the Injury list. Just examine the players who luck slaughtered at crucial stages this year:

Gawn

Oliver

Melksham- just when we needed him.

Fritsch

Brayshaw   -  the  unluck in his case to be brutally assaulted by Maynard

Salem early season blues, struggled to get back to his best...

McDonald - again.

B.Brown

Petty

Smith early in the season

Okay, the arrow of injury slaughters many sides but the bottom line in the Demons case is that despite all these setbacks - note well, most afflicted were the forwards - we finished Top 4, 2nd year in a row.

Therefore, the Doomsday Desperadoes who dwell on woe to woe, who want every coach replaced most of the time, should remember that in the end, on that last game in September, there can only be one winner. To cast the rest to hell for 'Failure' is my idea of a Utopian Hell. 

Sure, our list needs to be strengthened. We seem to have a surfeit of more than capable defenders - some fine Casey backline regulars must be cursing their lack of opportunity - and, it has to be said, we have made some recruiting blunders on the one hand - Grundy comes to mind - but here also, some of the recruiting tosses of the coin - Ben Brown comes to mind - seemed to be well-fated and ended in despair for both parties, but all in all, the recruiting team have handed us some genuinely talented players and their success ration is way in its favor - Hibberd, Melksham, May, Lever, Langdon, Hunter from other clubs come to mind - and look at the backline talent they've assembled. 

So, stay positive, ladies and gents, and pray to the God who dispenses injury woes.

It must also be said that it is obvious we are not in the good books of the AFL Masters, witness the MRI farces which they present as 'justice' for a start. And, also, keep in mind, the factor the luck of the draw in umpiring decisions has made on some of our games. I cannot bear to watch the replay of yesterday's match, but I have noted the howls of 'WE was robbed' from some of you.

Wid a little bit of luck, I am 173 years old now, toodle pip, see you all next year.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every one of those delinquents who missed easy shots in the last two games gets detention, sent down to Melbourne Grammar and writes out 10,000 times “I will not miss any more ducken easy shots at goal”

Then they go down to the oval and keep practicing their kicking till their boots wear out, and they are kicking barefoot 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:


The risk vs reward in trading Salem is not at all worth it. Also the messaging is terrible - you can be a champion of the club, best mates with the two players on lifetime contracts and arguably the best field kick in the team, but if you get injured/unwell you’re out of here.
 

Salem deserves a chance to regain his form at the club, much more than certain others do. 

It's also not ideal to keep a player just because he is best mate with the two stars of the team.

Unfortunately for Salem, we are actually loaded in the half back line. So it is not so outrageous to consider a trade for him, potentially.

Most likely that won't happen anyway so it is a moot point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It's also not ideal to keep a player just because he is best mate with the two stars of the team.

Unfortunately for Salem, we are actually loaded in the half back line. So it is not so outrageous to consider a trade for him, potentially.

Most likely that won't happen anyway so it is a moot point.

That’s quite the reductive misrepresentation of what I said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not going to dwelve into last night's performance because I think that's been done to death.

With the list we have we simply should be contending deep into finals but the fact we've gone 2 years in a row with straight set exits is to put it bluntly, unacceptable and embarrassing. 

I'll raise a few point and see how others feel.

• Coaching restructure.

I think the likes of Stafford and Yze have done their time. I'm hoping Yze gets the senior gig at Richmond and Stafford is moved on. Since 2020, we've made zero changes to our coaching structure and if you're not careful players can get really stale with the same voice over and over again. Some fresh coaches with fresh ideas is what needed imo.

• Ruthless list management calls on senior players.

Tmac and Benny Brown are beyond cooked and still have a year to run on their contract. One or both need to be tapped on the shoulder and told thanks for your service because they're two injury prone blokes that continue to break down and clog up list space. To watch Tmac dish up that performance last night was embarrassing really. I would also put Salem up for trade. I know his form in the last two years has been poor but he'll be 29 next year and I cannot see him getting back to his standard of 2021. If he can net us a late 1st rounder or early 2nd then I'd jump at the opportunity. Another who struggles to play a full season out due to injury/illness. I'd also reward Melksham with a 1 year contract and put him on the rookie list. Trade out Jordon and Harmes for peanuts but keep Tomlinson. 

• Review our list management process.

The Brodie Grundy trade was an absolute blunder, there is no way sugar coating it. Blind Freddie could see that bringing in another a genuine number one ruck was never going to work. There were many, me included, who raised concerns regarding this decision last year and our worst fears came to fruition when we attempted to turn him into a forward which turned into another blunder. I feel bad for Grundy but Sydney will be a much better fit. We dont need to be going out and buying expensive rucks, we just need to bring in someone that come in and play a role when needed to relieve Max and even pinch hit up forward. Hayden McLean type. On other list management decisions, don't sell it to guys like Dunstan and Schache and say that there certainly will be opportunities there and then refuse to play them when we've had those opportunities open up. Goody is part of this process so he too needs to seriously reconsider how he approaches this when targeting players. We had poor Dunstan racking up close to 40 touches a game and yet we rewarded the same guys in Harmes and Jordon who were giving us absolute zero output at AFL level.

• Captaincy decision?

I'm really torn on this and hesitated leaving this one out. But is it time to make a call on the captaincy? We all love Gawn for what he's done for this footy club but he's also getting on. The two misses last night were very costly and when you're needing your captain to stand up in the moment unfortunately he just couldnt grab his chances. He also doesn't have much time left in the game and I'm starting to think maybe a fresh leader with a fresh voice could be good for the group perhaps. Still torn on this one.

I agree with all of this and go further that Max should step aside and free himself from the captaincy burden. It'll extend his career. Give it to Lever or Viney. Out of left field Trac he'd relish it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 21

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 382

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 88

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...