Welcome to Demonland: Shane McAdam

FrothiesLiam

In the post game thread a couple of posters mentioned that he had 6 tackles, I was actually looking at that myself because it didn’t seem like that. He comes across as very laconic, I was hoping for another Flash.

As for flying for marks, during Sundays game there was one instance where Kosi flew first and McAdam flew next and both were nowhere near it, comical.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, deanox said:

Does anyone think that perhaps, just perhaps, it is a coaching instruction/ game plan, that Kozzie and now McAdam launch at the ball in the air? Particularly given it is repeat behaviour that the coaches obviously aren't correcting.

Rather than saying "they need to stay down and crumb" perhaps the direction is "launch and compete in the air to prevent intercept marking, and create a contested ground ball in our forward 50"?

Sure, we need crumbers too. But the crumbers are useless if the ball is marked by the opposition.

Isn't that what Petty, Roo, Turner (when fit) and Max when he drifts forward are for? To compete and bring the ball to the ground if they cannot mark? 

Regardless of being a coaching instruction, it isn't working. The best small forward we have who is electric when it comes to ground balls is flying for ridiculous hangers time and time again. One handed, often not realistic attempts, no one left on the ground. Fwiw, even the press have taken note of it.

Would've thought the best scenario would be our tall forwards compete in the marking contest. Don't mind the occasional fly, but not 3 or 4 times every week. But that's just my opinion.

Would be good to see the stats on how many scoring opportunities we get after Kossie goes for a contested mark. Don't know if those stats exist

Clearly our forward structure is working so well and effectively that we can afford to have our best small forward behave like a tall forward!

🤷

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

9 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

In the post game thread a couple of posters mentioned that he had 6 tackles, I was actually looking at that myself because it didn’t seem like that. He comes across as very laconic, I was hoping for another Flash.

As for flying for marks, during Sundays game there was one instance where Kosi flew first and McAdam flew next and both were nowhere near it, comical.

Can’t argue with that. Shane is definitely laconic, hardly says a word. That is what you meant, right?

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 3

If he can get up to speed at this level he'll be difficult to counter.  Plays alot taller than he looks and very mobile.

Might need another full pre season before we see the best of him but in the mean time a bit of patience needed until he familiarises himself with his fellow players and how the system is supposed to be working.

If things aren't working at all after another two to three weeks then review & go from there.   Melksham likely to be pushing by then also.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Can’t argue with that. Shane is definitely laconic, hardly says a word. That is what you meant, right?

I’m nine years away from having the time that some on here seem to have, by which point the game will probably be stuffed anyway. 

• Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

I love it when the commentators use that word and no one ever seems to correct them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Isn't that what Petty, Roo, Turner (when fit) and Max when he drifts forward are for? To compete and bring the ball to the ground if they cannot mark? 

Regardless of being a coaching instruction, it isn't working. The best small forward we have who is electric when it comes to ground balls is flying for ridiculous hangers time and time again. One handed, often not realistic attempts, no one left on the ground. Fwiw, even the press have taken note of it.

Would've thought the best scenario would be our tall forwards compete in the marking contest. Don't mind the occasional fly, but not 3 or 4 times every week. But that's just my opinion.

Would be good to see the stats on how many scoring opportunities we get after Kossie goes for a contested mark. Don't know if those stats exist

Clearly our forward structure is working so well and effectively that we can afford to have our best small forward behave like a tall forward!

🤷

Well said Moonshadow my sentiments exactly. That’s what you get when you don’t make sensible coaching changes after 2/3 years of average or no forward connections and results. Change is needed and Staf is overdue for it as he has had more than enough time to correct this part of our play. A look at the movement in the Swans ball movement would be a start plus their forwards moving around and leading. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I’m nine years away from having the time that some on here seem to have, by which point the game will probably be stuffed anyway. 

What does this even mean?

Are you saying some of us have more time to do things like correct someone else’s misuse of a word and that when you retire you’ll have time to do this? If so, you’re not doing time-spending correctly. FWIW, I have two jobs. 

Besides, in half the amount of time it took for you to reply (above) you could’ve looked up the meaning of ‘laconic’ and this conversation would never have happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anyone who thinks for even a millisecond that Stafford will be shown the door needs to think again, but this time for longer than a millisecond. 😁 He ain’t goin’ nowhere. No Siree Bob. Just ain’t  gonna happen. Therefore folks need to get used to seeing the man-mountain at the club for some time yet. 😃👍🏽❤️💙

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

🤷

I can't be totally sure, but I think the two stark examples of ridiculous flying was with Petty injured, Gawn off and JVR rucking. I don't remember it being an all-game thing, more a late tactic. wouldn't stake my life on it, or even my left boot, but pretty sure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

54 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Anyone who thinks for even a millisecond that Stafford will be shown the door needs to think again, but this time for longer than a millisecond. 😁 He ain’t goin’ nowhere. No Siree Bob. Just ain’t  gonna happen. Therefore folks need to get used to seeing the man-mountain at the club for some time yet. 😃👍🏽❤️💙

i love him at the club, but our forward line ever since he took over this role has been putrid, no matter who we put down there. so this has to fall on him imo.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

46 minutes ago, Tracca said:

i love him at the club, but our forward line ever since he took over this role has been putrid, no matter who we put down there. so this has to fall on him imo.

I fully agree. But regardless of what we think, he’s part of the furniture there and likely will be for some time yet. 

I think it's going to take some time for him to adjust to a totally different system than what he had at Adelaide which was a lot more aggressive all over the ground, he's showing some okay signs early but i'd say he needs another 2-3 weeks to really start to hit form. 

He was absolutely flying at times during the pre-season 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Are you saying some of us have more time to do things like correct someone else’s misuse of a word and that when you retire you’ll have time to do this? If so, you’re not doing time-spending correctly. FWIW, I have two jobs. 

Besides, in half the amount of time it took for you to reply (above) you could’ve looked up the meaning of ‘laconic’ and this conversation would never have happened.

Burn

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

laconic has crept into the sports commentators lexicon for about 20 years now and doesn't really accord with the definition.  It is now being used in a way to describe many things ranging from lazy, laid-back to effortless skill etc, this convo has popped up a few times on the d'land,

For instance with its usage, did a quick google of an ex-EPL forward Dimitar Berbatov and the word laconic and the following said about him;

• Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov is best known for his laconic artistry
  • Despite his laconic image...
  • His laconic style is personal...
  • His laconic gait and slow-motion grace condemn him to cut an anachronistic figure
  • must-win six-pointer derby between busy artisans and laconic artists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok, coming around to be more optimistic about Smacca, plus if it's really his brithday what better time than to send positive energy his way. 

In the realm of extreme optimism how good would it be if Pickett and McAdam could forge a Sean Charles/Jeff Farmer esque tag team?

Not sure the combination won us a heap of games in the 90s but they sure were exciting and did look for eachother (as it seems Kozzy has been doing). 

8 minutes ago, roy11 said:

laconic has crept into the sports commentators lexicon for about 20 years now and doesn't really accord with the definition.  It is now being used in a way to describe many things ranging from lazy, laid-back to effortless skill etc, this convo has popped up a few times on the d'land,

For instance with its usage, did a quick google of an ex-EPL forward Dimitar Berbatov and the word laconic and the following said about him;

• His laconic gait and slow-motion grace condemn him to cut an anachronistic figure

I’m sure the poster meant to describe Shane as lethargic or even languid when he used the word laconic. But because a word is misused a thousand times doesn’t make the misuse acceptable. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Ok, coming around to be more optimistic about Smacca, plus if it's really his brithday what better time than to send positive energy his way. 

It’s his 29th birthday today. Some positive energy sent his way is a great birthday present. 🥰  Doesn’t cost anything and you’ll feel good having done so, if for no other reason than he’s a Demons player. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m sure the poster meant to describe Shane as lethargic or even languid when he used the word laconic. But because a word is misused a thousand times doesn’t make the misuse acceptable. 

Grant Thomas was the first football identity I can recall misusing "laconic" and it snowballed from there among the media, posters on footy forums and the wider population.

Like Sam Newman, Thomas likes to use big words that he doesn't know the meaning of in an attempt to make himself sound more photosynthesis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

🤷

I would imagine they have told Kozzie to not go for those near impossible marks, but he is just an instinct player, see ball get ball and they probably don’t want to curb that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Not sure I will be here in nine.  I need satisfaction now.  Cos I can’t get no, satisfaction. No. No. No.

Get it done Dee’s 

4 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

If he can get up to speed at this level he'll be difficult to counter.  Plays alot taller than he looks and very mobile.

Agree

In his first game for Casey (admittedly only one half) he demonstrated a very strong vertical leap from an almost standing start. Completely different from the pack flying mark which these days is low percentage. In his second game for Casey he was rather quiet.

Not sure what to expect but I will watch with interest

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

4 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I love it when the commentators use that word and no one ever seems to correct them.

1 hour ago, roy11 said:

53 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Lackadaisical

• Like 1

Should have described him 'looks stuffed' aha.

Looking forward to seeing him when he's built his fitness up.

• Like 1
  • Love 2