Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

2 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Barrass to stay - bodes well for our chances to secure pick 1.

At the same time, it increases the premium on key defenders, as McKay prepares to exit North. This might bring compensation further into play and if we are to keep our earlier picks.

I think we can dilute the market by putting Tommo out there. On face value i think he has been performing better than McKay, but probably loses out on age and name. 

Wouldnt it be great if McKay just recommitted to the club!

21 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My brother is near Cotts and ventures down to Scarborough a fair bit.

Probably explains why he's loving it??

For sure, beautiful part of the world along there.

Was in Scarborough over new years, dying to be on that beach again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Barrass to stay - bodes well for our chances to secure pick 1.

At the same time, it increases the premium on key defenders, as McKay prepares to exit North. This might bring compensation further into play and if we are to keep our earlier picks.

Now we just need to hope Essendon pays McKay what he’s worth and doesn’t offer him a contract that triggers band 1 compo 🤞

On 8/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, drysdale demon said:

North may grab him, according to Peter Bell{ not sure if that is reliable] Reid has definately told the Eagles not to draft him.

I have a pretty good source - the kid himself - confirming this is 100% not true.  He thought the setup in Perth is amazing and is happy to go anywhere and play.

West Coast are incredibly strong and financial off the field and would support his family as much as possible to see him play.  

He has no issues in going there.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Deeko2 said:

I have a pretty good source - the kid himself - confirming this is 100% not true.  He thought the setup in Perth is amazing and is happy to go anywhere and play.

West Coast are incredibly strong and financial off the field and would support his family as much as possible to see him play.  

Only going by what Bell said to the Western Jets last week when he was here looking into Logan Morris. I did mention that Bell may not be reliable in my post.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deeko2 said:

Reid would be mad not to go there. He'd be King of Perth soon enough and WC will be back strongly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

Reid would be mad not to go there. He'd be King of Perth soon enough and WC will be back strongly.

As opposed to come to us with the lure of multiple premiership medallions and playing alongside some of the best in the comp? 

I know what i'd chose. :)

• Clap 1

7 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

As opposed to come to us with the lure of multiple premiership medallions and playing alongside some of the best in the comp? 

I know what i'd chose. :)

There's no guarantee he gets to MFC if he tells WC he won't go there though.  WC could trade pick 1 to North for pick 2 and the McKay compensation and then he'll end up at North and WC can take Curtain.

• Like 2

Given the choice of North or West Coast I'd choose West Coast.

But neither play at the MCG, which is every Victorian kids dream.

North alternate between being scheduled once or twice a year at the MCG during the H&A season.  Although they've also had multiple years in a row with just one game there.

It's a massive advantage to be an MCG club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, old55 said:

There's no guarantee he gets to MFC if he tells WC he won't go there though.  WC could trade pick 1 to North for pick 2 and the McKay compensation and then he'll end up at North and WC can take Curtain.

I see something like that happening, as the Roos and Hawks will simply not allow Reid to go past their pick. I think it will be more than 2 and Compo to get 1, unless the AFL engineer it to give Roos 3 as compo thereby giving Reid to Roos and Curtin and whoever to Eagles.

I can see that happening.

I just can’t see Reid to us.

Would be happy to take 4 and maybe another high pick from GC after swaps and then 18 and 22 to the draft.

Could really grab some great talent with that lot.

• Like 2

I've said this before, but I would not be at all surprised to learn that we are one of the sources muddying the waters RE Reid not wanting to leave Victoria.

It is in our best interest to throw that stuff out there as it provides us leverage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

I see something like that happening, as the Roos and Hawks will simply not allow Reid to go past their pick. I think it will be more than 2 and Compo to get 1, unless the AFL engineer it to give Roos 3 as compo thereby giving Reid to Roos and Curtin and whoever to Eagles.

I can see that happening.

I just can’t see Reid to us.

Would be happy to take 4 and maybe another high pick from GC after swaps and then 18 and 22 to the draft.

Could really grab some great talent with that lot.

Alternatively, use picks to trade for ready made at other clubs.

10 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I think we can dilute the market by putting Tommo out there. On face value i think he has been performing better than McKay, but probably loses out on age and name. 

Wouldnt it be great if McKay just recommitted to the club!

Forgive me for further diluting this thread and forgive me further for the unspeakable suggestions i am about to mutter.

But should Tomlinson seek opportunities as we all predict, theres a certain club with a stack of NQR key defenders which has a list squeeze and a former player who i'd be in dialogue with regarding his future as a defender and whilst i was more than happy to see the back of him i was frustrated we never gave it a good run in pre-season and vfl. hear me out.

Essendon want Ben McKay and by all reports its fait accompli. Then there Bezerk Thatcher who is uncontracted and potentially optainable but also currently first choice so maybe not. All essendon fans seem to be keen on Baldwin as a key defender after he recently made the move back and showed signs when given a senior shot. and a returning but also probably cooked James Stewart as their fourth choice. but they like Harry Jones and 2MP and are commited to Langford and also the 2ruck combo forward. SO....

So do we bring Weideman back as a defender at least he'll be further up the pecking order than he currently is at the dons? Or does Schache just do the pre-season down back? is it crazy? the market is quickly diminishing

• Shocked 2

7 hours ago, old55 said:

The Prince. 

Ta

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I lived in Perth for 3 years about 5 years back. It has the best weather in the country, and easily the best beaches of any city. Eagles players are gods there. The club is super connected.

If Harley goes to Perth he’ll be set for life. The Eagles are the biggest show in town by a massive amount. A former Eagles player I know got a sweet job that paid him 200k+ a year, a job he was criminally under qualified for - simply because he used to play for the Eagles.

You play 100 games at that footy club and your whole life is set up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Quite simply could be another Chris Judd. 
“Eastern states ball winning mid with pretty tidy skills makes it interstate”. 

Nek minnut: FA to MFC

11 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I lived in Perth for 3 years about 5 years back. It has the best weather in the country, and easily the best beaches of any city. Eagles players are gods there. The club is super connected.

If Harley goes to Perth he’ll be set for life. The Eagles are the biggest show in town by a massive amount. A former Eagles player I know got a sweet job that paid him 200k+ a year, a job he was criminally under qualified for - simply because he used to play for the Eagles.

You play 100 games at that footy club and your whole life is set up. 

Did not know that about you THBT!

You never stop learning on Demonland..

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Did not know that about you THBT!

You never stop learning on Demonland..

I was born in Regional NSW then lived in Tassie, Queensland, Warrnambool, Melbourne, Geelong, London, Dublin, New York, California, Perth and back to Melbourne. I’m not saying I used to be a spy, but I definitely didn’t use to be a spy.

The first rule of espionage is confusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have thought of a way we can get Harley Reid, or at least end up with picks 4 and 5 in this draft.  Picks are based on current ladder positions. 

I have calculated total points gained/lost for the GC deal as that is the main determinator for them to deal.

Club                                Pick/s to                     Points                                 Pick/s from                 Points

Adelaide                         Future 1st                          ?                                     24                                   785

Future 3 or 4                      ?

Gold Coast                      17                                 1025                                    5                                    1878

23                                  815                                     46 or 56                       331 or 194

24                                  785

West Coast                      4                                 2034                                      1                                      3000

5                                 1878                                       38                                     465

Total points value GC deal                                    2625                                                                               2209 or 2072

We end up with picks     1, 36, 38, 46 (or 56), 91

We lose our 1st pick in 2024 but possibly gain a future 3rd or 4th  although, to me, that would be icing and shouldn’t prevent us doing the deal.

Hopefully the format remains legible  (*it does on my laptop, but not my phone)

I await the public stoning.

If on mobile.

To Adelaide future 1st. From pick 24 and future 3rd or 4th.

To Gold Coast 17,23,24. From 5 and 46 or 56

To West Coast 4 & 5. From 1 & 38

Edited by Palace Dees
additional info
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Saw this on Reddit: AFL Draft 2023: The Harley Reid-Daniel Curtin call set to shape first-round, trade period

Jon Ralph poses the question if Curtain will jump Reid as No 1

Would not be surprised if WC went with Curtin pick 1. He looks to be a pretty awesome prospect.

27 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Would not be surprised if WC went with Curtin pick 1. He looks to be a pretty awesome prospect.

Why would they do that when North at least would give them 2 and more to get Reid and then they get Curtin and more.

• Like 2