POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

12 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Lots of talk about the final bit of play between Lever and hipwood. Clearly it was Levers mark and even JB called it straight away. 

Never been a more blatant around the neck, too high so where was the free or did they pay the mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Green Demon said:

28 points down when Max got that high goal. What a captain's goal!!

Agreed.

I also thought the earlier goal from young Taj Woewodin was a really classy goal where he summed up his options, took on the responsibility and nailed quite a difficult goal under pressure.  Although it was quickly responded to by Brisbane, I thought it was a real team lifter and momentarily injected some much needed enthusiasm into the team at a time the game seemed to be slipping away from us.   In retrospect an important goal in the scheme of the contest.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Stiff Arm said:

Immense last quarter from Viney and Gawn.

Immense!

Viney has been our best player this year I reckon. Always there when the whips are cracking.

I wanted Melksham subbed out for Smith, what would I know? Haha

Fantastic win, I hope it gives them some belief to go on with over the next month.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Jack Viney is our spiritual leader who never says die and will do anything to get us over the line 

That bloke Gawn goes alright too, as does Lever.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

Lions midfield dominated the corridor in the second and third. Very hard to defend and use your extra numbers when they are streaming through like that

Certainly, we were hacking high balls to CHF rather than moving it with any intent. Easy Harris punches fell to Lions mids who were lining up.

But other times the Lions would switch and then hit a lead up forward before streaming through. When we pressed up rather than leaving an easy outlet we got the ball back to our mids to charge the other way 

24 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Lever had a stinker? Very few intercepts, turned around multiple times, no attacking drive. Luckily he did just enough to not get beaten on the siren 

He is a Defender.  Played on Hipwood who had 9 Disposals, and 1 goal from 6 marks. Meaning he kept him out of dangerous areas.  Not there for attacking drive, there for intercepts and to beat his man wich he had 5 intercept possies and went at 80% efficiency.  So as I said, pretty good game!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Just sat down in the TV room to watch the replay.

I see Buckley is on the fox panel. With Lyon. Shudder.

But just have to watch 25 min of their pre match palaver for the sheer joy of hearing them butcher it.

Off to a great start with Brown gushing over the Daicos brothers for 2 minutes.

Gonna love this replay.

Go redlegs 

(By the by, allegedly they can put people on the moon but the AFL can't put up the post match pressers on their app until just before midnight? They will have to wait).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Never been a more blatant around the neck, too high so where was the free or did they pay the mark.

Was right in front of me. Umpire blew his whistle very early, so was going to pay the free, and then Lever marked it so he awarded the mark.

• Like 3

I was surprised when the siren rang ... only 27 minutes where as one quarter went for 34 minutes and another went 32 minutes

Only 5 goals scored in the last quarter explains the difference but the mind was thinking 30+ minutes

With the last moment involving a disputed mark to add to the high drama

2 minutes ago, Travy14 said:

He is a Defender.  Played on Hipwood who had 9 Disposals, and 1 goal from 6 marks. Meaning he kept him out of dangerous areas.  Not there for attacking drive, there for intercepts and to beat his man wich he had 5 intercept possies and went at 80% efficiency.  So as I said, pretty good game!

Petty was on Hipwood as much as Lever early, and that’s a pretty normal Hipwood stat line.

5 intercepts is a bad day for Jake. 80% efficiency isn’t a surprise when you don’t take any risks or provide any drive with the footy. 189m gained, that’s very ordinary. 

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

He has great athleticism, which we are in dire need of back there as May and Lever having a turn circle of semi trailer. 

Can we PLEASE just enjoy the win?! Even if just for tonight. How about we hold off on this type of comment until at least tomorrow. It’s not a big ask. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

Early in the 4th I was just thinking about Milkshake's game and could only think what a Jekyll and Hyde performance.

Then... oh golly gosh. 

Now I'm thinking....

Gandalf vs the Balrog

Ironman/Captain America against Thanos.

Rand Al' Thor against the Dark One.

The Emperor of Mankind v Horus Lupercal

Sorry, getting my nerd on.

That was epic and I'm so happy for him. [censored] immense.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Felt we played behind in q2 and 3.  Once we got in front and attacked contests the tide turned again….

100%. I get that we are a defensively minded team, but you’ve got to kick a winning score first and foremost. 

We’ve actually looked pretty good when we have been taking the game on with an attacking mindset. The best way to put pressure on the opposition is with quick ball movement into the forward line.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I've never really rated Melksham, but well done tonight. Keep fighting for your spot to really feature in the finals. Fantastic mark and goal.

No-one is talking about Viney's goal in the last few minutes. He just tore it out of that pack and slammed it home.

Gee I reckon May is playing injured as well. It really made it hard for us tonight with Petty and May both proppy. 

How could you ever drop Kozzie. That two on one where he just trapped the ball one handed on the ground and ran away with it charging into goal was something else.

JVR did well in the ruck and around the ground.

Time to crack in Tommo. Must be your turn now

What a game.

Kossie’s goal was great- 3 things in it Melksham contested mark, Kossie wins a 1v2 preventing rebound overlap and Tracs backing of Kossie pointing him to back himself and kick it

• Like 3
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Oh, the Brissy supporters around me were feral when the siren went. So one eyed, I cannot believe they don't love good footy.

The ones around me were impeccibly well behaved.  All things considered, they'd be gutted so they took it well

Compared to a number of other supporter groups, they are angels (esp the filth, scum, ferals and carltank)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, binman said:

There's a thread about media bias.

Could care less about media bias.

But the ridiculous bias against us by some posters, who supposedly 'support' the dees, and just parrot the medias weekly talking points, does my head in.

English teachers and grammarians will say that "could care less" is wrong because it should mean the opposite of "couldn't care less." Logically, if you could care less, it means you do care some. But in informal speech people often use "could care less" to mean they don’t care at all.

"Couldn’t care less" and "could care less" are both used to mean someone doesn’t care at all, but English teachers and grammarians will say that only "couldn't care less" is correct, so that is what you should use in formal or academic writing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Demonland changed the title to POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane
6 minutes ago, binman said:

Just sat down in the TV room to watch the replay.

I see Buckley is on the fox panel. With Lyon. Shudder.

But just have to watch 25 min of their pre match palaver for the sheer joy of hearing them butcher it.

Off to a great start with Brown gushing over the Daicos brothers for 2 minutes.

Gonna love this replay.

Go redlegs 

(By the by, allegedly they can put people on the moon but the AFL can't put up the post match pressers on their app until just before midnight? They will have to wait).

And in 1969 the voice of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon could be captured and transmitted around the world, yet the AFL and its broadcasters still can't figure out how to make the journalists' questions audible in said press conferences.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The way Rivers took the game on in the end was so important, he broke it open.

Also, May kicking long down the middle from a kick in and it resulting in a goal, more of that please.

How much better do we look when we use the corridor? Playing around the flanks and boundary makes us look slow because our ball movement is slow, it makes the delivery into the forward line predictable and easy to defend and it makes our forward line congested because the fat side is dead so all players gravitate across to the pocket. Use the corridor and open up the field by using angles to move the ball and you look a much better team and much easier for the forwards to manufacture goals.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

How much better do we look when we use the corridor? Playing around the flanks and boundary makes us look slow because our ball movement is slow, it makes the delivery into the forward line predictable and easy to defend and it makes our forward line congested because the fat side is dead so all players gravitate across to the pocket. Use the corridor and open up the field by using angles to move the ball and you look a much better team and much easier for the forwards to manufacture goals.

That's the frustrating thing to me. We did it in pre-season (yeah I know) and looked a million bucks.

• Like 2