PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

42 minutes ago, A F said:

I think there's grey in between here.

Hibberd shouldn't an automatic selection because we have too many good players to fit into that back 7-8, but he will be an automatic selection if fit this year.

Hibberd doesn't make the same mistakes Rivers does either IMO. Mostly, because Hibbo runs and carries the ball. Rivers tries to kick his way out and he's very hit and miss.

There's obviously a difference between what should happen and what will happen, but Goody has indicated that we won't tinker with the three defensive talls anymore, so May, Lever and Petty are locks, injury permitting. That should be the case anyway, but that will be.

And then as you say, you need Salem, Bowey and McVee. So that's 6.

Rivers is playing as the 7th defender and Gus as you say will go back there.

Again, what we should do versus what we will do is the question. I don't think Rivers or Gus should be automatic locks for this team, but they will be and are.

And in a similar fashion, I think Hibbo should be a horses for courses selection. So if he was fit, I'd be playing him on Charlie Cameron this week. However, his injury does give us another chance to look at McVee on him. Cameron kicked two on McVee earlier in the year (with 5 score involvements), so that was probably a draw or maybe Cameron just won that one. Hibbo is the better option on him at this stage IMO.

Vis a vis Rivers and Gus, I'd say with injuries, their flexibility will give us options in filling holes, but at full strength, I'd be saying it should be a horses for courses situation with them as well. I'm sure the DD see this differently.

If he really got off the leash, I'd wonder how Koz would go on Cameron?

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If he really got off the leash, I'd wonder how Koz would go on Cameron?

I'd actually shift May onto him...

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, A F said:

I'd actually shift May onto him...

Once upon a time yes, but I think those days are past. Did you see Rohan smoke May in that groundswell contest?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Goody’s press conference today - ‘We are now back at our home ground, in front of our supporters who make a difference for us, when they come out in numbers and support and get loud, which we expect Friday night, it’s a tough place to play’

We as supporters have got one job to do- turn up and turn up the volume- we must also make the home ground advantage become a home crowd advantage. GO DEES

• Like 22
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

39 minutes ago, old55 said:

Once upon a time yes, but I think those days are past. Did you see Rohan smoke May in that groundswell contest?

True. I did. But May has been terrible at ground balls his entire career with us though...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A F said:

Hibberd doesn't make the same mistakes Rivers does either IMO. Mostly, because Hibbo runs and carries the ball. Rivers tries to kick his way out and he's very hit and miss.

There's obviously a difference between what should happen and what will happen, but Goody has indicated that we won't tinker with the three defensive talls anymore, so May, Lever and Petty are locks, injury permitting. That should be the case anyway, but that will be.

And then as you say, you need Salem, Bowey and McVee. So that's 6.

Rivers is playing as the 7th defender and Gus as you say will go back there.

Hibbo has only played as a tall defender this year, even in the Pies and Cats games where we played him alongside 3 talls he was given the Johnson and Rohan match ups and Lever moved to play on flankers.

Whether he still has the speed for a back pocket job on a small like Charlie Cameron is hard to say, and whilst he feels safer than McVee I’m not convinced he would be.

I also remember some pretty bad turnovers from him on a flank role the last couple of years. The extra run and attacking responsibility seemed to tire those old legs.

In theory Hibbo can play back pocket, Juddy slides up to a half back in to Riv’s role is possible. That somewhat happened against Collingwood (Bowey’s role). But that requires McVee lifting his attacking output with the role change.

But I can’t see Riv getting dropped unless he real takes a tail spin. 

It’s Riv on ball (resting forward) or Bowey (wing, resting forward) as the 2 options if Hibbo genuinely demands selection, McVee’s form holds up and the other defenders are healthy. 

Not sure Gus will move back either. Salem back has taken back the job he did at half back. He probably stays on ball and we use Tracc and Sparrow forward more. If he moves anywhere it could be as the 3rd (or even 2nd) winger once Clarry is back. He only works at half back if given the freedom to play loose and intercept, and with Salem and Lever taking those roles we don’t need him. Riv and Bowey as more solid two way defenders which gets the balance right across half back.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

I wish Schache could borrow Clarry's beast mode while he's out injured. It would solve all our tall forward woes, well at least until he had to give it back.

A little science fiction for Demonland on a Tuesday arvo:

The year is 2050.

It's late in the third quarter of the Grand Final. Schache Jnr., a number one draft pick who demanded a trade to powerhouse club Melbourne after not being eligible for drafting via the parent-child rule, is having a shocker. The skills are there, the footy IQ is there, he's just lacking that special something, that little bit of beast mode. And the Dees need their forward line firing, in what looks likely to be a close finish against the Tasmanian Pademelons, who are fresh off their first premiership (having entered the league in 2040 after the ribbon was finally cut on their floating stadium off the coast of Hobart).

Melbourne has already used its injury sub, concussion sub and tactical sub. But never fear. Because the Demons are about to activate their IPATS (injured player asset transferal sub). Schache leaves the field and disappears into a chrome-plated structure at the back of the interchange area, what is colloquially known as the "phone box" by old-timers. When he emerges, the guessing game begins. Despite the answer being obvious, the commentators are, as usual, flummoxed. Which injured player's asset have the Demons transferred to Schache using their IPATS? There was never any doubt. After all, Melbourne lost three-time premiership hero and father-son steal Silton Oliver to concussion protocols in the lead-up to the finals.

Schache re-enters the field of play. Beast-mode activated. Victory for Melbourne!

• Haha 8
  • Clap 4

7 hours ago, Ungarieboy said:

The Lipns midfield will scrag ours; applying physical heat (grappling, wrestling, tackling, etc) before we take possession of the ball; particularly at ball ups. This creates a messy disposal, whete thete extra midfield numbers clears it. With no Oliver I expect Viney to be targeted, whilst I don't have faith that Sparrow, Jordan etc can cover this.

Proof reader on holiday? 🙂

Edited by ManDee
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Dees_In_October said:

A little science fiction for Demonland on a Tuesday arvo:

The year is 2050.

It's late in the third quarter of the Grand Final. Schache Jnr., a number one draft pick who demanded a trade to powerhouse club Melbourne after not being eligible for drafting via the parent-child rule, is having a shocker. The skills are there, the footy IQ is there, he's just lacking that special something, that little bit of beast mode. And the Dees need their forward line firing, in what looks likely to be a close finish against the Tasmanian Pademelons, who are fresh off their first premiership (having entered the league in 2040 after the ribbon was finally cut on their floating stadium off the coast of Hobart).

Melbourne has already used its injury sub, concussion sub and tactical sub. But never fear. Because the Demons are about to activate their IPATS (injured player asset transferal sub). Schache leaves the field and disappears into a chrome-plated structure at the back of the interchange area, what is colloquially known as the "phone box" by old-timers. When he emerges, the guessing game begins. Despite the answer being obvious, the commentators are, as usual, flummoxed. Which injured player's asset have the Demons transferred to Schache using their IPATS? There was never any doubt. After all, Melbourne lost three-time premiership hero and father-son steal Silton Oliver to concussion protocols in the lead-up to the finals.

Schache re-enters the field of play. Beast-mode activated. Victory for Melbourne!

You win today....that's classic....bravo..

• Like 3

sorry. Beaten Collingwood lately in the run to the finals of otherwise at the MCG 

adelaide have gone close

i still think we are going well . Apart from PA and the pies   If we beat Brisbane we are definitely next, and we were robbed against PA, and better than the filth,

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Proof reader on holiday? 🙂

3 hours ago, 640MD said:

Essendon did beat us and IMV could piùtj fo it again

Never mind on holiday, this proofreader’s on drugs. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/a-six-pack-of-ipa-interesting-points-allegedly-fremantles-michael-walters-the-afls-best-set-shot-kick-c-11234211

"Melbourne and Brisbane will this week play each other for the fifth time since round 15 last year, a run which includes the Lions’ semifinal upset win last September. Thanks to the AFL’s unbalanced fixture, there are five different pairs of clubs that are yet to meet a single time during that span. The Western Bulldogs haven’t played West Coast or Essendon at any point in that time period, while there have also been no match-ups for Carlton against Port Adelaide, Collingwood against Hawthorn, and Gold Coast against GWS."

Just shows how ridiculous the fixture for the number 1 sport in Australia is. Major sports around the world must laugh at AFL fixturing, if they even care what happens down here at the ars* end of the world.

Why can't we have less games where teams play each other once (rotate the home match every second year) and supplement it with a state of origin tournament? Surely a fixture like that is less comprised and "unbalanced".

Edited by dice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Neitas bump said:

Watch out for Dorko snipering blokes lads

Lately I've seen a few of our players stand up to being or seeing mates being targeted.

We have Pett's, and a new one is Sparrow. Tom gets in there and is a protector. Also, thought someone went hard at him, and he got better in the game. Could be one of those players, where Choco slaps him around a bit, to get the adrenaline flowing, then sets him out to collate Zork.

I also suspect JVR wouldn't mind being the rescuer, but too early to tell for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, layzie said:

We need him. 

No one talks about Hibberd. I honestly can't see us winning the flag without him. Strange I know but we need him back.

• Like 4