PREGAME: Rd 17 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Can't quite, put my finger on it, or properly explain it, but I agree with the feeling the place is soulless.

I find the lighting weird when the roof is closed - which it is all the time now.  Too dull.

And with the roof closed creates I find the acoustics are a bit weird too.

And funnily enough, games are now often scrappy, congested and low scoring.

I say funnily enough, because it used to be high scoring ground because of the controlled conditions.

But all team defence and zones creates congestion because the ground is so narrow.

It’s a shti hole

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Can't quite, put my finger on it, or properly explain it, but I agree with the feeling the place is soulless.

I find the lighting weird when the roof is closed - which it is all the time now.  Too dull.

I say funnily enough, because it used to be high scoring ground because of the controlled conditions.

But all team defence and zones creates congestion because the ground is so narrow.

There's been plenty of high scoring matches there this year. Sat night will be a scrap fest. Lyon v Goodwin god help us 😂

• Like 1

CHRISTIAN SALEM PLAYS HIS 150th THIS WEEKEND!!!

I’m confident the result of his 150th will be cause for celebration (unlike last weekend’s double milestone match).

GO SALO!

♥️💙

• Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Clap 1

Marvel SUUUUUUUCKS. 

I just pre paid for parking because of course half the train lines are once again out of action.

It is a terrible stadium with no atmosphere and you can't see anything from 90% of the general admission seating.

I rate it 0 stars, and yet I will be there with at least 2 bells on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Thanks for the explanation @DubDee. You are most definitely within your rights to watch and attend how you want, but not sure if you have a leg to stand on complaining about the atmosphere if you're part of the supporter base that doesn't want to show up. A full Marvel stadium is a great atmosphere, see Carlton v Sydney last year. 

Irrespective of supporter base volume, pies fans burning desire to go and cheer for their team and will them over the line seems more unconditional than ours (we are not alone).

I've been to Docklands a fair bit over the past 20 years or so. So i reckon i do have a leg to stand on in the argument that the atmosphere is poor.  Me not attending one game would not change that. I don't just mean the atmosphere the fans generate, the place has all the warmth of a parking lot at an abandoned factory.  Walk into the G you feel the history, the vibe, the atmosphere.

So Pies fans are louder than us and more passionate? Not sure I agree. they are quiet when they are playing poorly. to be honest I think it is just the numbers that turn up. and when you have hundreds of thousands of fans, you'll get big attendances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I've been to Docklands a fair bit over the past 20 years or so. So i reckon i do have a leg to stand on in the argument that the atmosphere is poor.  Me not attending one game would not change that. I don't just mean the atmosphere the fans generate, the place has all the warmth of a parking lot at an abandoned factory.  Walk into the G you feel the history, the vibe, the atmosphere.

So Pies fans are louder than us and more passionate? Not sure I agree. they are quiet when they are playing poorly. to be honest I think it is just the numbers that turn up. and when you have hundreds of thousands of fans, you'll get big attendances.

All fair. You do you. I'll go watch a game on one of Saturn's moons if the Melbourne footy club is playing. If you're looking for history, atmosphere, acoustics. It's the MCG or bust from the sound of it 👍

• Like 1

Club finds itself playing 3 away, games in a row, cats,gws& saints, club needs to focus on their core business is winning games & maximising home games! Not excusing our loss to gws other than poor decision, goal kicking but we played a home game on a neutral suburban regional ground! I’m all for community involvement but do this as a preseason fixture, Collingwood don’t sell their home games!

3 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Can someone please summarise the recent noise around Oliver?

From the conspiracy theories about a suspension to now very silly allegations of issues with the coaching staff...

He's now missed 5 - 6 games. I believe  you could count with the fingers of one hand the total missed games in his career up until this recent patch of very bad luck.

My view is that there was a hammy  tendon involved and hence the longer recovery time.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, binman said:

Flawed stadium right from the get-go. Acoustics are weird, it's useless with the roof open and looking north so you get plenty of sun in your eyes, the grass is on a concrete base so it was never going to be anything particularly good as a surface and it has always had major issues trying to get people in or out in a timely fashion. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nascent said:

Clayton - "what do you mean I'm out"

Selwyn - "I saw your leg move mate, take the loss and go back to the start"

Clayton - "that's bs mate, I was frozen still, no way was I moving"

Selwyn - "you suck at Giants treasure mate, don't be a sore loser and go back to the start"

Clayton - "it's cold as balls out here, I was shivering, what more do you want me to do, I want that Mars bar"

Selwyn - "I'm walking away from this, you moved your leg and I caught you, go back to the rooms"

O-I know youve got.

SEL.-NO  I havent OLI

O-I want it now,give me my Teddy or i am going home

46 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

CHRISTIAN SALEM PLAYS HIS 150th THIS WEEKEND!!!

I’m confident the result of his 150th will be cause for celebration (unlike last weekend’s double milestone match).

GO SALO!

♥️💙

Good to see you posting WCW worried you may have scampered in temper re bagging of players by some of the drips on here

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, layzie said:

Flawed stadium right from the get-go. Acoustics are weird, it's useless with the roof open and looking north so you get plenty of sun in your eyes, the grass is on a concrete base so it was never going to be anything particularly good as a surface and it has always had major issues trying to get people in or out in a timely fashion. 

I'm not sure how true this is, but someone once told me the place was built in the wrong direction. 

i.e. all the plans and permits had the stadium travelling west-east, which would have been preferable from a sunlight (grass growing) POV, but the building contractor mistakenly planned the site & laid the foundations south-north. I remember this being blamed for the significant issues they had early days getting the grass to grow (the G is also laid on concrete, that shouldn't be a factor). 

You got to Marvel on any given weekday and they have a million hydroponic lights fixing the turf. They've figured it out, but it must cost them a fair bit.

• Shocked 2

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I would argue this the other way. AFL football is a professional sport and as such those who run it need to respond to the wishes of the people who pay to attend. If the public are saying they don't want to attend any particular ground, the AFL should do something about that. Either don't schedule games there or make the venue more attractive to encourage people to attend.  

2 hours ago, RedFox said:

That's fair. I guess I just don't see a massive issue with Marvel. Easily accessible, protected from the rain, view point and visibility arguably better than the MCG.

If one of the issues is cost of food and beverages, welcome to every professional stadium in Australia. If another issue is atmosphere, well that's ironic.

The AFL could do a lot worse than put RedFox, me and all the people who responded to our posts in a room as a focus group to understand what encourages and discourages people from attending games at Marvel. Or they could spend a million dollars asking one of the big four consulting firms for advice which will prove to be useless.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Is the roof closed for night games when the weather is fine? If so, why? I can understand daytime because the lighting plays havoc with TV cameras. And I can understand when it's wet, day or night.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

It’s a shti hole

I'm not that down on it.

One thing in its favour is it is very easy to find your seats and navigate.

And it's great viewing from all seats, including where I usually sit - top stand behind the goals.

I live in altona, so coming in by train is great because it's quick and southern Cross is only a couple of minutes to the ground.

I don't have a problem with Marvel at all. Parking is just as easy as the G (since there's barely any parking at the G anymore) and you're much closer to the game at Marvel.

I find the atmosphere to be brilliant.

The Bulldogs game last year was extremely loud.

Reckon people might be snobs. 😉

5 minutes ago, A F said:

I don't have a problem with Marvel at all. Parking is just as easy as the G (since there's barely any parking at the G anymore) and you're much closer to the game at Marvel.

I find the atmosphere to be brilliant.

The Bulldogs game last year was extremely loud.

Reckon people might be snobs. 😉

I've been thinking about why I don't go to Marvel. The best answer I can come up with is that I can only go to a limited number of games each year. I'm limited by other commitments (work, family, etc). As such, given I have already pre-paid to attend games at the MCG (I'm an MCC member with the added on MFC membership), I choose to attend games which make use of that membership. If I wanted to go to more games than just MCG games, I don't believe I would be against going to Marvel. 

In other words, it's not any perceived soullessness, travel or transport difficulties, or concerns about ticketing at Marvel - it's just me making a decision to prioritise the value of my MCC membership.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, forever demons said:

Good to see you posting WCW worried you may have scampered in temper re bagging of players by some of the drips on here

I was fighting an uphill battle. I can’t realistically expect an end to the bagging of our players, nor the suffocating abject negativity. It just won’t happen. So instead of letting it upset me or allowing it to keep me away, I’ve now made ignore button my friend.🙂 I love DL. I learn SO much on here, and there’s some AMAZING people here. I’ve become solid friends with some who I met on DL. As in, lifelong friends. I’ll just leave the drips to wallow in their misery. 👍🏽

• Love 1
  • Clap 3

26 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I've been thinking about why I don't go to Marvel. The best answer I can come up with is that I can only go to a limited number of games each year. I'm limited by other commitments (work, family, etc). As such, given I have already pre-paid to attend games at the MCG (I'm an MCC member with the added on MFC membership), I choose to attend games which make use of that membership. If I wanted to go to more games than just MCG games, I don't believe I would be against going to Marvel. 

In other words, it's not any perceived soullessness, travel or transport difficulties, or concerns about ticketing at Marvel - it's just me making a decision to prioritise the value of my MCC membership.

I also have an MCC/MFC membership and have a two year old son. I prioritise the footy for 3 hours on a weekend, but each to their own. I know not everyone is like that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

They will water the ground...

Pretty sure Saints wouldn't be in charge of ground maintenance

13 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Maybe I'm on my own, but I personally don't mind Marvel...

There's worse places....  Havent been there since that Chyna Flu thing,..it might be better...might not be..lol

• Facepalm 1