POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Brisbane

Demonland

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Don't fear Brisbane one bit.

Give us Kozzie, May, Salem and Gawn back in and we beat them comprehensively. 

If we won some clearance, we'd overpower them. We lost clearance -28! Is that some kind of world record?

A truly pathetic performance by our midfield unit tonight.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DeeMee said:

Viney really off - presume will be better for the run, same with Fritta.

Harmes not so flash.

Time to consider our forward line for the future.

Obviously lost the game on clearances.

We were just off tonight, it happens.

Last 11 minutes were kinda fun.

Whilst Melksham was awful and TMac not much better, this game wasn't lost by the forward line.

We gave them no chance with our abysmal clearance work.

Any dominance we have over other sides in the competition doesn't exist if we don't at least break even in the middle. Being thrashed as we were at every single stoppage in the first half is far more significant than our forward line.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

We supposedly have the best midfield in the comp. They doubled overall clearances on us tonight and our midfielders looked pedestrian through lack of effort. Stoppage clearances are a concern. Seems like there’s a lot of bloke happy to get on the end of it rather than put their head over the contest. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't get what you mean by this.

If the game can continue, it has to. Percentage matters (and don't forget how beholden the AFL is to betting agencies who take bets on margins and goals kicked and disposals and all that stuff).

I would have been happy to walk off when the lights went out Titan. But the show went on and we went down fighting, doesnt excuse the overall perofrmance but it beats the alternative. 

• Like 2

Just now, A F said:

If we won some clearance, we'd overpower them. We lost clearance -28! Is that some kind of world record?

1000%
They should and will be embarrassed with that showing. Viney clearly underdone, Trac a fumbling mess and Oliver inexplicably soft. 
The footy gods woke up today and chose violence. 

I just pray Gawn hasn’t done his ACL. His face tells me he has. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, A F said:

It must have been over -30 before the resumption, too.

Truly shocking. Hopefully we rebound from that midfield disaster like Brisbane did tonight after they were annihilated by Port last week. -28 clearances against Sydney = solid 5+ goal loss.

11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The last 12 minutes was fake footy in some respect given Brisbane had stopped but I hope we take something from the way we at least remembered how to run and gun and attack.

We lost this game by being disastrously belted in the middle. -28 in clearances, and it would have been worse before the break because we got a bunch of centre clearances in that late run.

Gawn going down threw us out. The same thing happened last year when May went down against Fremantle. It's understandable, but disappointing all the same, that we couldn't re-group.

You'd expect a few changes next week given some of the poor performances tonight. But a few changes aside, we will lose to Sydney next week if we don't dramatically improve in the clearances.

We were actually -26 for clearance at the break in play and then weirdly lost clearance by 2 after the restart.

9 minutes ago, deva5610 said:

Forgive me for being upset with a team I've supported for decades, who for the last few minutes did actually show what they are capable of except for the other hour and a half of the game.

Was not a great performance from a vast majority and I'll stand by my post (even if I did edit it just before you quoted me to a more suitable descriptor :))

We all get upset ..I get that. But we are by no means perfect …& we showed in 12 mins what we are capable of ..still. Grundy got better & will improve a lot quicker in Max’s absence ..Fritta started to work his way into the game. I just don’t get how as supporters we tip bucketloads on the players and predict doom & gloom 2 games in…

• Like 1

I watched one half of that game and a fair few deserve a spray even after the restart. But man, had to be James Harmes worse game I've ever seen. He should be walking back.

image.thumb.png.95feffe96f48c976c49b2d78780aed62.png

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Don't fear Brisbane one bit.

Give us Kozzie, May, Salem and Gawn back in and we beat them comprehensively. 

but we still had stars: PetrOliver, Brown kicked another bag, Fridge, Lever, Tom Petty, Grundy, Brayshaw, Langdon, Viney... that's a handy side.

Edited by Anti-Saint
needed more stars
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A F said:

I don't get it.

How on earth do we have a 2x All Australian ruckman surrounded by star midfielders only to get smashed in the centre clearances?

God even Ashcroft was bulling the likes of Oliver ans Harmes. So hard to watch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I was really disappointed in Viney tonight, thought he would be champing at the bit.

I drop Harmes and TMac for Hibberd and Van Rooyen.

• Like 2

Just now, MurDoc516 said:

I watched one half of that game and a fair few deserve a spray even after the restart. But man, had to be James Harmes worse game I've ever seen. He should be walking back.

Agreed. Straight out when Kosi is back. 

Gawn injury🤮🤮 ?? 🤞🤞🤞

Stoppages and clearances 🤮🤮🤮

clearances lost 30-60 🤮🤮🤮

centre clearances lost 10-20🤮🤮🤮

stoppage clearances lost 20-40 🤮🤮🤮

☹️☹️ indirect slow footy

🤬🤬🤬umps

🤮Harmes - fumbles fumbles fumbles and high tackles 

🤮Melksham- stumbled and fumbled 

🤮petty - lost confidence and fumbled 

👍🏻👍🏻Grundy

👍🏻👍🏻Hunter

👍🏻👍🏻Bbb

👍🏻👍🏻Lever 

👍🏻Rivers 

👍🏻Bowey 

☹️☹️Gus and Clarry had the footy a lot but disposals were generally poor and turnovers very costly 

🤩🤩last 8 minutes- 5 goals  !!! 

• Like 5

Why couldn't we play like that earlier? The midfield performance was hopefully an anomaly but I think they should change it up a bit. Harmes will be lucky to keep his spot definitly won't keep his spot when Kossie comes back. Lucky Viney is Viney had a shocker.

Just now, MurDoc516 said:

Harms back to his uncertain-early career standard.

Milkshake - I lov him but was lost and we lost

• Like 2