NON-MFC: Rd 01 2023

Demonland

1 minute ago, heath55 said:

Spot on…Geelong had their chances to run away with it, but look like they just couldn’t sustain the pace -it was a low tackle count and pure offensive footy with both teams losing key defensive anchors. Geelong showed Collingwood can be burnt the way they play, but they’re so damaging when they get it right - it shows how much the game can open up with kicking and forward movement, something we entirely lacked last year - our ability to put pace on and move the ball in any fashion.

And yet we still managed to win 16 games in the season proper despite not firing on all cylinders. 

So if we get it right and if we have a reasonable run with injuries, logic tells us we'll win at least 16 this season

Last season we closed down the opposition (often from half-way through the 3rd quarter's) in a lot of those wins. 

But by 3/4 of the way through the season, we started to wilt. In my view, we looked tired from about round 8

So our first 3 games this year will be testing.  Dogs, Lions & Swans where none are guaranteed wins.  If you offered me 2 wins from those 3 I'd take it in a heartbeat (starting the season with 4 big outs - Fritsch, Viney, Salem & May)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DubDee said:

relax guys. it’s round 1

the Cats aren’t that bad and the Pies aren’t that good. 

Yeah but they had Carlton top of the ladder last night and it was a draw without any percentage applied. 

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We’re now equal favourites with GeelongI to win the flag ($5.50) according to the TAB.

I thought that this game was a hard-fought struggle for both Geelong and the Filth. Encouragingly, it also gave me a sense that both teams are starting to crumble physically  in game-time, from the effort expenditure and have very little in reserve to rally when it is critically needed. These two teams may well be the capitulation champions across the season - incapable of a '...Bang. Bang, bang, bang.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The pies are a superbly coached team. McCrae, Bolton and Leppitsch have devised a game plan the team have embraced. And they have instilled belief and confidence in the players to execute. They look fit and will be a contender for sure this year.  

Can't wait for Kings birthday to have a crack at this mob. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Clearly I was watching the wrong game.

MFC wouldn't have been within 5 goals of either team last night.

But then it's only round 1 and assuming Choco and Ooze have some influence with  "the coach" and we get some new blood into  the best 22 along with a new game plan there is time to to up the game.

I doubt Carlton or Richmond are going to worry the comp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

8 hours ago, DubDee said:

relax guys. it’s round 1

the Cats aren’t that bad and the Pies aren’t that good. 

Relax? How can I? We are about to play the dogies tonight!

I could only listen to the game last night but it appears to me that both these sides will most likely be serious contenders come year end.  I hope I am wrong 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IRW said:

But then it's only round 1 and assuming Choco and Ooze have some influence with  "the coach" and we get some new blood into  the best 22 along with a new game plan there is time to to up the game.

Strange post.

Is it up to Choco and Ooze to influence the coach? Do they get criticised when we lose too or just credit when we win?

This week, apart from Hunter and Grundy, we have Laurie, McVee and Chandler as new blood. Add Bowey and Rivers who were not regulars last year and that's a third of the team? Enough?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

love the Swamp. nice 62 year record for the Cats. Enjoy Selwood n Co

I assume all the Dees in the table would have been games where we were ahead by so much we didn’t need to score in the last Q 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, IRW said:

which game were you watching?

Melb would have run over the old Cats last night. they kicked ridiculously straight and that won’t happen often. Pies smashed them on all stats

And a bit of respect for our premiership coach please. i guess some ‘supporters’ are never happy huh?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DubDee said:

love the Swamp. nice 62 year record for the Cats. Enjoy Selwood n Co

I assume all the Dees in the table would have been games where we were ahead by so much we didn’t need to score in the last Q 👍🏻

Geelong   0.1   0.4   1.5  2.11  23 Sat 04-May-1901 3:00 PM Venue: Corio Oval
Melbourne   2.1   2.1   3.3   3.3  21 Geelong won by 2 pts [Match stats]

Melbourne   4.3   8.6  13.8 13.12  90 Sat 26-Apr-1941 2:45 PM Att: 14,740 Venue:M.C.G.
Fitzroy   5.2   8.3  12.8 17.12  114 Fitzroy won by 24 pts [Match stats]

Fitzroy   0.4   3.7  5.10  7.11  53 Mon 22-Apr-1957 2:15 PM Att: 24,000 Venue:Brunswick St
Melbourne   2.1   4.7  6.12  6.14  50 Fitzroy won by 3 pts [Match stats]

Fitzroy   1.1   5.5   5.6  6.10  46 Sat 15-Apr-1961 2:20 PM Att: 31,787 Venue:Brunswick St
Melbourne   4.6   5.8 10.14 10.15  75 Melbourne won by 29 pts [Match stats]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

Melbourne   4.3   8.6  13.8 13.12  90 Sat 26-Apr-1941 2:45 PM Att: 14,740 Venue:M.C.G.

Fitzroy   0.4   3.7  5.10  7.11  53 Mon 22-Apr-1957 2:15 PM Att: 24,000 Venue:Brunswick St

Fitzroy   1.1   5.5   5.6  6.10  46 Sat 15-Apr-1961 2:20 PM Att: 31,787 Venue:Brunswick St

1961 proved my point. didn’t look at the others 😬

31K at brunswick St oval?? [censored] me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, IRW said:

Last years MFC won't have got within 5 goals

If you watched our preseason games you'll have noticed our ball movement much quicker through the corridor and into our F50. 

And we have 3 debutants tonight as well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Demonland said:

So that's why we dumped Fitzroy out of the comp. Those bastards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pies are good to watch, love the brand of footy they play. As much as Demons supporters we loath certain sides, Pies being one of them.. slick, attacking footy is good footy!

If last nights game is an indication of the way footy will be played this year, then I’m keen to watch.

• Like 6

Ha ha knew Chris Scott would be bringing up the surface. How about the fact your backline let the pies forwards out the back loose & there midfield just ran straight through there's. Also the fact you badly missed your former captain & your new one was terrible.

In saying that is any of our boys get seriously injured I'll be annoyed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1