PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

51 minutes ago, Winter Dan said:

Perhaps we put JVR in as sub and if things arent going well, we sub him in and put TMac back. 

This would be unusual for us, we've never (IIRC) used a tall as sub

But, I think it's a realistic prospect as the one concern I have is Lobb in their fwd line, he's the one I think Tmac would go to and the others shuffle out Tomlinson

Also, if we lose a fwd, or a mid/sml to injury, we have plenty of cover

If we lose a back to injury, it would be Tmac back and a hole up forward

JVR-sub could be the strategy 🤔 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

I thought Jones was out

it’s the young small fwd Jones that’s out. kicked 2 in preseason game. with him and weightman they have not much at ground level. we will smash them on the rebound

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gawn will go back for sure and Grundy will drift forward after the main bounce.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Winter Dan said:

Yep, any opposition side would be thrilled with that luck, i'm currently in the process of negotiating with my self that we shouldnt be favourites and its ok if we dont get up wk 1. 

Resetting expectation. 

Yet May is the only one of our players that lined up against Richmond, yes sure it's a practise match, but the way our team moved the ball, that was very impressive. Richmond are a stronger team than the doggies in my view, and we picked them apart with ease. Too much being made of the 4 talls for the dogs I think.
Then after this week we only get stronger as these players filter back into the team.

• Like 4

Just now, DubDee said:

it’s the young small fwd Jones that’s out. kicked 2 in preseason game. with him and weightman they have not much at ground level. we will smash them on the rebound

Can't keep up with the Jones'

Bazinga!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, DubDee said:

cmon guys, but if support for Tommo. he is a big unit and just needs to spoil and bring it to ground. he gives everything. get behind him

Was interesting to hear Hunter on gus and gawny say that all 4 are athletic and not terrible at ground level so may not walk it out of there like we think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I don’t like it

No No No GIF

Clearly not getting a ride in the iPace electric.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Was interesting to hear Hunter on gus and gawny say that all 4 are athletic and not terrible at ground level so may not walk it out of there like we think.

Correct. This notion that they're lumbering oafs is ridiculous. In fact, that more accurately describes gawn or Grundy when resting forward 

• Thinking 1

Just now, fr_ap said:

Correct. This notion that they're lumbering oafs is ridiculous. In fact, that more accurately describes gawn or Grundy when resting forward 

I don't think Grundy as much but Gawn has been working on his ground ball game, has since LJ joined the club. He will never be a nimble midfielder but I have seen improvement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Compared to Bowey, Rivers and Judd, they are not going to be able to compete on the spread. Neutralise the contests and we win easy

• Like 6

Early days, but that’s not a premiership line up

How does Laurie get a game before Jordan, looked totally  overwhelmed in the praccy match

Tomlinson looked way below senior standard, where’s Disco?

Chandler doesn’t excite me at all

& McVee before Hibbo

Van Rooyen, still can’t get a game even when Fritsch is out & Ben Brown is still ahead of him?

Selection blunders all round 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 4

5 minutes ago, SPC said:

Compared to Bowey, Rivers and Judd, they are not going to be able to compete on the spread. Neutralise the contests and we win easy

I see what you are saying, just don't think it will be a cake walk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

have you seen Lobb play? offers zero at ground level either through athleticism or lack of effort

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am perplexed with the selection of Adam Tomlinson.

I really thought it would be a good opportunity to give Daniel "Disco" Turner a chance.

Nevertheless, I guess experience works in Adam Tomlinson's favour.

I just hope he plays a better game than his disastrous pre-season match against St. Kilda. His performance was quite embarrassing against a rookie SSP player in Anthony Caminiti.

He simply needs to punch the ball away from the Bulldogs tall forwards and not try to outmark them.

I just hope the Demons win on Saturday night. Fingers crossed! 🤞

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rpfc said:

he isn’t one of our best players.

Depwnds what you mean bt best. Nibbler is one of our most important players. So for me he is on of our best.

A top 10 finish in last year's bluey speaks to that.

Of course Oliver is harder to replace in terms of pure abilty.

But that is because Oliver is one of the best mids of the modern era.

But Oliver is easier to replace in terms of role than nibbler. We have any number of players who could replace his midfield minutes - either collectively or one player.

As I noted, there isn't one player in the twos who could adequately cover nibbler's role. They would likely have to shuffle some roles within the team to cover what nibbler brings.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Supreme_Demon said:

He simply needs to punch the ball away from the Bulldogs tall forwards and not try to outmark them.

With Tomlinson he is very poor overhead. Struggles to read the flight. Good solid player when the ball hits the ground though. I just hope he doesn't get matched with Lobb who's only strength is contested marking.

• Like 2