SEN: Dees the Best Side on Paper

Demonland

27 minutes ago, Billy said:

I really like James Jordon, do we all think, Hunter is a better player?

l don’t 

Hunter is a far better wingman.

Hunter is a better outside link player with better delivery inside 50.

It's not close.

I suspect Jordon is a far better inside midfielder, because that's not Hunter's go.  Jordon has done well to showcase abilities that probably don't best suit his skillset.

With Petracca, Oliver and Viney earmarked to play less ''inside'' minutes Jordon and Sparrow should get opportunities that better suit their attributes.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:38 AM, Demonland said:

2022_Teams_Fields_GFX__3_.png

Do you agree with this side? Who comes in and who goes out?

I think you've got it right.  Tmac is more a mobile forward than a tall one and JVR is even shorter (similar size to some on ballers).  From watching training JVR is a beast who hunts packs and stoppages.  He will have a real defensive element that you normally give to small forwards.  So you don't lose mobility by including all 3.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Billy said:

I really like James Jordon, do we all think, Hunter is a better player?

l don’t 

Hunter wouldn’t be in my team for the first month of the season. Despite all the training reports of him looking good, I personally don’t trust him and want to see him earn his spot ripping it up at Casey. I would be backing the likes of Jordon, Sparrow and Howes before him. 

I think I will be the only one thinking this though. 

• Haha 2

I'm feeling very confident about our chances to get to the GF this year. I agree with the assessment, on paper we look very good.

Of the new recruits I'm more excited about Hunter than anyone else. He will provide an excellent counter to Langdon and make it even harder on teams to run with us

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stinga said:

I think you've got it right.  Tmac is more a mobile forward than a tall one and JVR is even shorter (similar size to some on ballers).  From watching training JVR is a beast who hunts packs and stoppages.  He will have a real defensive element that you normally give to small forwards.  So you don't lose mobility by including all 3.

Agree Stinga good point.  JVR won't be left behind or too much in the air as his ground work as displayed at Casey last season was a real strength. 

His ability to gather ground ball gets and forward them on by deft touches handballs plus his snaps for goal from some of those situations will surprise ( and thrill and delight us all ).

This forward line beast can be all things to all forward contests and is never out of the game. With two mates in Fritta and Kossie skilled similarly he will add another dimension to our attack on any conditions as a further bonus.

Goody please bring him on sooner rather than later. He is AFL ready both in mind and body and the MCG is ready to provide him with his playground and friends to come and play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kurtneverdied said:

Gawn, perhaps the best contested mark in the game has to be at full-forward. A mark, tap to advantage or 50-50 ground ball to Kossi/Fritta has to be high odds. Especially if there are no obvious targets, just bomb it into Max.
Grundy is the ruck. 

Don't agree Short stints of Maxy in the forward  line yes please but don't clog up the movement if BBB is on fire and Tmac performing. JVR will be ok either way. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ANG13 said:

Hunter wouldn’t be in my team for the first month of the season. Despite all the training reports of him looking good, I personally don’t trust him and want to see him earn his spot ripping it up at Casey. I would be backing the likes of Jordon, Sparrow and Howes before him. 

I think I will be the only one thinking this though. 

I think the practice games will give Lachie the opportunity to show how good a winger and link player he is and his footy smarts and experience will add another dimension to our mid field forays to the forward line. 

I would also expect that despite the wings that they will play on it would be possible to switch them during a game if need be, or if the MCC members "requested" Lingers to showcase his skills on the members side of the ground if we are 10 goals up or more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hatchman said:

I'm feeling very confident about our chances to get to the GF this year. I agree with the assessment, on paper we look very good.

Of the new recruits I'm more excited about Hunter than anyone else. He will provide an excellent counter to Langdon and make it even harder on teams to run with us

I genuinely think that Hunter will be seen as our best recruit (if not the whole league). Not to say that Grundy won't be great, I just think having two genuine wingers operating on their preferred side, both who are very fit will be such a challenge for opposition teams to counter. 

Last year teams would tag Langdon (Hawthorn early in the season) and it would definitely make our run and carry more stifled. Now we can just push that traffic down Hunters wing and negate that strategy. I get the feeling that at least one of them will get 25+ possessions every game. 

He also helps in one area we lack in - accurate kicking inside 50.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Gator said:

It's not close.

I suspect Jordon is a far better inside midfielder, because that's not Hunter's go.  Jordon has done well to showcase abilities that probably don't best suit his skillset.

With Petracca, Oliver and Viney earmarked to play less ''inside'' minutes Jordon and Sparrow should get opportunities that better suit their attributes.

Nailed it on jordan vs hunter.

I seem to remember Jordans first game i think was round 1 in 2021. Jordan started in the middle and seemed roght at home there. Huntets arrival allows james to get back to his strengths.

• Like 2

Brayshaw rotating through the the middle for mine. Adds depth and flexibility, which should see Trac and Clarrie hitting the scoreboard a little more (preferably 6 pointers please, Christian). 

Hunter and Langdon are going to own those wings. Hunter will surprise most I think. Very talented, clever and an elite runner, just fell out severely with Beveridge (appears somewhat common).

Bowey to get Salem's role, at least until he returns. I wouldn't be against trying Salem as a forward upon return, if Bowey locks in down back. Evasive, tough, creative, strong for his size & and a great kick. Could be a Chopper Lovell/Peter Vardy type. 

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, kurtneverdied said:

Gawn, perhaps the best contested mark in the game has to be at full-forward. A mark, tap to advantage or 50-50 ground ball to Kossi/Fritta has to be high odds. Especially if there are no obvious targets, just bomb it into Max.
Grundy is the ruck. 

I would seriously hope that the days of "bomb it long forward" have passed, and that considered passing to a marking forward or even to space will supersede this tactic.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 4

On 2/8/2023 at 7:31 PM, Gator said:

It's not close.

JJ is tracking similar to Simon Black. See a lot of traits that are alike.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, djr said:

JJ is tracking similar to Simon Black. See a lot of traits that are alike.

JJ is looking promising 

Hunter won a B&F yes I know 5/6 years ago but Hunter been there done that, hopefully JJ gets to that standard!

We overrate our own, particularly those who have never done it at AFL! I’m not referring to JJ in particular!

• Like 1

I think this season with our depth key players will be managed to keep them fresh. Also i think players out of form will be moved to Casey quicker than last year.

We need to give our depth a go. Some of them may surprise. I will be hard to leave Bowey out if he is in form..

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Comes in to consideration down back a bit more if Salem is out, but I only really want him down back if Lever is out. Intercepting is what he does well down back, manning a zippy half forward opponent or fast ball use are certainly not strengths.

In general I’d have Gus as the 3rd winger and 4th or 5th on baller. He’ll be needed as a tall winger or tagger at times. 

GUS is the ultimate "Utility" able to take on "gameday" roles from back line through the middle and up forward....name him on the bench as the " coaches erand boy"...?

• Thinking 1
  • Angry 1