FINALS 2022: Week 03

Demonland

9 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Are you watching this Goodwin?

He refused to watch our 2018 Prelim capitulation replay and you expect him to watch another team? NAR no way!

• Facepalm 2
  • Angry 1

As much as I don’t like Scott & Geelong their sustained success since 07 is great & whilst no flags since 2011 and multiple finals flops it’s build on culture & good drafting and free agency. The biggest challenge for clubs who have been unsuccessful for long periods is handling success and hope our club bounces back & stays in this window of opportunity and not fall off the cliff!

2 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

As much as I don’t like Scott & Geelong their sustained success since 07 is great & whilst no flags since 2011 and multiple finals flops it’s build on culture & good drafting and free agency. The biggest challenge for clubs who have been unsuccessful for long periods is handling success and hope our club bounces back & stays in this window of opportunity and not fall off the cliff!

Have they had any Free Agents?  They traded for Dangerfield and Cameron and paid handsomely for both.

It was built on lots of cheap (draft wise) F/S picks and more recently on drafting locals and enticing locals back 'Home'.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

The Lions didn’t beat us, we did with our inaccuracy in the first half. Game should’ve been over at half time.

Well if that help you feel better then ok

They are poor and we made them look good - one of the weakest performances the MFC has delivered in the last couple of years - certainly not helped by a good % of our players seemingly injured and simply out on their feet 

Based on how we finished the year we would be zero chance to beat any of the teams remaining in the hunt 

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

On reflection I am glad we lost last week, imagine going through a similar defeat last night to Geelong. 

I turned to the lady sitting next to me last Friday night " n the third quarter"  and said even if we win we won't go any further. In a weird way going out the way we did might even help this team get better. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

On reflection I am glad we lost last week, imagine going through a similar defeat last night to Geelong. 

At least vs Lions we put in a decent performance.  Kick straight and we may have got over the line.

But I'm glad to have gone out last week rather than be subjected to Geelong satisfaction of a PF mawling which is what it would been last night.

13 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Make all the jokes you want but ...

And, they have at least six 19-21 year olds, mostly 1st round picks, waiting in the wings/about to be traded in, to replace the aging players as they retire.

Excellent list management and this year have shown excellent player management, something we could have done much better.

They have 'insured' their list by targeting local players and by not drafting i/state players.

The 'Dad's ARmy' narrative has long been off the mark.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

And, they have at least six 19-21 year olds, mostly 1st round picks, waiting in the wings/about to be traded in, to replace the aging players as they retire.

Excellent list management and this year have shown excellent player management, something we could have done much better.

They have 'insured' their list by targeting local players and by not drafting i/state players.

Spot on Lucifer

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Make all the jokes you want but ...

Sir swampthong needs to learn something about statistics.

More enlightening would be the MEDIAN age of teams. Cats with 3 outliers in Hawk, Selwood and Danger screw this data.

Does anybody have this info?

21 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Spot on Lucifer.

take out outliers that other teams don't have also and they'll be nothing like a 'dads Army'.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Sir swampthong needs to learn something about statistics.

More enlightening would be the MEDIAN age of teams. Cats with 3 outliers in Hawk, Selwood and Danger screw this data.

Does anybody have this info?

In the case of Geelong it doesn't matter as their skewed playing 22 age profile will nearly always show a Median higher than other teams.  The list as a whole may be a different story.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

1 minute ago, Lucifers Hero said:

In the case of Geelong it doesn't matter as their skewed playing 22 age profile will nearly always show a Mean higher than other teams.  The list as a whole may be a different story.

Not so sure.  I think the median will show that the cats aren't much different in that profile than many other teams.

Median is diffeerent to mean/average. It takes account of outliers and makes more sense across a data set of 22 players.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

Agreed although hard to imagine we could have been as bad as Brissie. But watching the Cats was depressing. Reminded me a little of my thoughts about the Dees a year ago. A great blend of age and youth, of talls and smalls, great defence, great ball movement, running players and forwards that kick goals, and great list depth. And I hate to say it, but well coached. Formidable. 

But as we know, a year is a long time in footy. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Not so sure.  I think the median will show that the cats aren't much different in that profile than many other teams.

Median is diffeerent to mean/average. It takes account of outliers and makes more sense across a data set of 22 players.

Yeah, I changed Mean to Median just after I posted.

I found this for you.  Games played rather than the entire list.   I think it is for 2022.   

But the author could be a bit confused as it refers to Average Median which doesn't compute.  Now that I think about it it could be for all games played this year..

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

The interesting part will be to see how they manage the transition of their midfield. Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Paddy, Smith are 30+ and provide experience and consistent performance. 

Next rung down is Parfitt, Narkle O'Conner who are clear downgrades.

Cooper, Knevitt, Bruhn* have had limited exposure and will be inconsistent for a number of years still. Holmes has performed well but is receiving protection from their experienced hands. You can see why they were targeting Hopper, who at 25, would provide experience and consistency. 

I watch and hope for their downfall but have learnt not to hold my breath.

9 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Just wanted to thank the maggots for coming up with rules they haven't been using all year.ie the taking mark rule, kicking in danger..on and on....

Just like not paying protected zone 50s for weeks then finding one against us. Same as a 50 against for being run into. Narrative is #dangerflag and the Pies. All about making some of the COVID losses back or getting Danger a flag. Sadly we were collateral damage. HQ has no integrity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerflog may skew the age profile but irrespective they have been 3 outstanding players for Geelong. Their replacements will not be of the same calibre. Smith as well has had a brilliant career. These players will leave a big hole when they're gone