CHANGES: Rd 21 vs Collingwood

Demonland

Did anyone watch the Casey game? How did Joel smith go?

Last time we played Collingwood cox killed us when the ball got booted inside 50. He doesn’t set the world on fire but I feel we need some talls inside 50 and he doesn’t mind crashing a pack to bring the ball to ground and it’s better that happen in our forward line than our backline. Handy inclusion or nah?

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

That bit is garbage. Did twoo amazing run down tackles against the Dogs for starters

Got caught in two minds running fwd and got run down v Freo. Having said that he is not playing well

His decision making and skills will come and go, not too worried about that. The fumbles and not bodying the ball v Freo and at other times has worried me, looked a bit like the old Nibbler. But can’t blame him too much for fumbling in the wet against Freo. Hope to see him sort that out in the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

His decision making and skills will come and go, not too worried about that. The fumbles and not bodying the ball v Freo and at other times has worried me, looked a bit like the old Nibbler. But can’t blame him too much for fumbling in the wet against Freo. Hope to see him sort that out in the next few weeks.

I think long term one of Bedford or Laurie will go past ANB, but would be shocked to see him dropped this season unless he puts together a few absolute stinkers prior to finals

23 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yes good point.  Judgement a wee off.  May have had one too many Maker's Marks at my end

Not that it means a huge deal but also backed up statistically.  Well up on 2021...

1470634709_Screenshot_20220731-185441_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.e2830ad34761a93dd790f38939683198.jpg

Thanks for posting.   Like you said, stats don’t always tell the full story but I definitely think his impact on games has been much higher this year and the pressure he applies would have to be close to number 1 in our team. 

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

Last time we played Collingwood cox killed us when the ball got booted inside 50. He doesn’t set the world on fire but I feel we need some talls inside 50 and he doesn’t mind crashing a pack to bring the ball to ground and it’s better that happen in our forward line than our backline. Handy inclusion or nah?

May will be playing this time around, so there is no need for Smith 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

Joel looked a bit rusty in the first half but definitely better in the second half as you’d expect 

He may need another run at Casey to build some match fitness 

11 minutes ago, adonski said:

Taylor Adams expected to be out for 2 weeks as per Tom Brown

heard the same, a groin issue so Adams very likely to miss which is huge. the Pies don't bat deep for inside/clearance mids

Ralphy reckons Howe will play though

24 minutes ago, adonski said:

I think long term one of Bedford or Laurie will go past ANB, but would be shocked to see him dropped this season unless he puts together a few absolute stinkers prior to finals

I don’t see Bedford’s rate of improvement going past Nibbler any time soon. He’s got the same flaws that need a lot of work. A touch faster but less ball winning. Laurie’s nothing like those guys, he’s an attacking small with limited defensive game so far. He should improve quickly as he gets midfield time and is full of class, but they aren’t even ready to give him VFL midfield time, yet alone an AFL debut.

It’s worth asking if Harmes and Sparrow can cover ANB’s pressure whilst offering midfield minutes and more size. It’s possible. But I doubt Goody pulls that trigger.

In light of Dunstan's 41 touch performance in the VFL this weekend, I'd love to hear 'landers opinions with regard to his selection for the Pies game. He has been very consistent lately and I wonder if this performance elevates him above Harmes, who has been out of touch recently. 

• Shocked 1

52 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

Cox hasn’t got near it the last few weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got dropped this week for Grundy.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

In light of Dunstan's 41 touch performance in the VFL this weekend, I'd love to hear 'landers opinions with regard to his selection for the Pies game. He has been very consistent lately and I wonder if this performance elevates him above Harmes, who has been out of touch recently. 

Brayshaw in the middle now puts Dunstan further down the depth chart. Will be tough for him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think Nibbler has always been a bit up and down in terms of his impact on games. Despite his poor game on the weekend, he may surprise and play a blinder against the Pies.

1 minute ago, Boots and all said:

Which is a shame for him. He's far better than a week in, week out VFL player.

I agree. This game is ruthless. We got him in case of emergency and we can still break that glass and be thankful for him, who knows?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

Tough one, had a fleeting thought about maybe having Harmes for a marking role on Nick Daicos. Dunstan is worthy of a callup though this has been a solid block of footy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

Which is a shame for him. He's far better than a week in, week out VFL player.

He’s really not. Not in a top side anyway. He knew what he was in for when he came to us 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Boots and all said:

Absolutely not. Sadly for Dunstan he is a one trick pony. Harmes can play a few roles and also tag. He gives us far greater flexibility. 

Dunstan was always going to struggle for consistent AFL game time coming to us. He really only replaces Viney or Oliver. 

• Like 2

Harmes can earn his spot through the VFL. His form at AFL level has been ordinary anyway. Let's not overrate his performances please because Brayshaw doing the job at AFL level keeps him out.

Thr footy club rates Sparrow enormously highly and they'll find ways to keep him in the midfield.

Let's not forget Harmes was a turnover merchant against the doggies. Right now ANB provides the insane defensive pressure and Jake Melksham who is proving me wrong, is giving our forward half a different element and dynamic. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

Played mostly forward at Casey.  If my eyes weren't deceiving me some sort of HHF role with a few possessions up the ground as well.  Not sure if he played a full game or not as i don't recall seeing much of him early but could be just old age haha.

Not a stand out game by any means but hit some contests and looked lively at times for his first game back.

3 hours ago, Boots and all said:

He's gives me the impression he's a distributor, mostly by hand (elite!) and very effective here.  I would argue possibly close to the best or maybe the best at the club right now.

I see him (rightly or wrongly) as possibly a very handy defensive sweeper at center bounces or sitting off the back of stoppage.

I suspect he's starting to also get a little more of the contested ground balls in traffic as well (Casey level).

Running limitations and kicking skills/finish however? Although even the latter seems to have improved as the season's worn on, more so his finish at goals vs hitting targets.

Someone might also wish to comment on his defensive side?  That's almost a separate watch in itself if you are to pick up on all the little nuances (and that assumes you know what to look for... my knowledge here is most likely pretty ordinary).

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

Tough one, had a fleeting thought about maybe having Harmes for a marking role on Nick Daicos. Dunstan is worthy of a callup though this has been a solid block of footy.

If Harmes was in 2021 form ....possibly.

A long way off it and coming back from a head knock.  Doubt we would risk him for this role.

Someone does need to run with N Daicos though.  Pretty sure he drifts forward a fair bit.  Maybe Jordan through the middle and Hibb picks him up for the forward bit?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Billy said:

We’re the 2021 premiership team, with a lot of bloody tough nuts

2009 we were a poor VFL team in comparison languishing on the bottom of the ladder without hope

I give JVR a crack but as a previous poster said as long as it’s a 2nd key position

If Ben Brown is fit he plays but van Rooyen must be the next in line. Can't play Weid after a one possession game.

B: Lever, May, Hibberd

HB: Hunt, Petty, Salem

C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Jordon

HF: Petracca, Gawn, Neal-Bullen

F: Fritsch, B.Brown, Pickett

FOLL: Jackson, Oliver, Viney

IC: Rivers, Sparrow, Spargo, Melksham

SUB: Harmes 

• Like 2