• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

The Run Home

Demonland

(If) we win next week against Brisbane what is our preferred outcome for the QF?

1.) Finish 2nd and play Sydney at the MCG

2.) Finish 3rd and play Sydney at the SCG

3.) Finish 3rd and play Collingwood at the MCG

I for one think a 3rd place finish playing against Sydney at the SCG is actually the best option. We play really well away from home and I think the hostile environment will be a good intro to our finals series and it will give extra motivation.

3 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

(If) we win next week against Brisbane what is our preferred outcome for the QF?

I for one think a 3rd place finish playing against Sydney at the SCG is actually the best option. We play really well away from home and I think the hostile environment will be a good intro to our finals series and it will give extra motivation.

Sydney are a better team than us and playing on the small SCG won’t help.

I’d prefer we play Collingwood but we are very far from certain to make top four so not worrying about that yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Sydney are a better team than us and playing on the small SCG won’t help.

I’d prefer we play Collingwood but we are very far from certain to make top four so not worrying about that yet.

Are they though?

I admit we didn't play that well last night but we have played genuine flag contender football over the last 3 weeks. We are sitting at 5W-3L since the bye with two narrow losses, one against a top 3 contender. 

*That's also why I said "if"

Collingwood beating Sydney and then losing to Carlton next week is now our preferred method for top 2 and takes percentage out of it and gives us a home game against the Pies. Or an away game if they beat Carlton. 

Sydney winning by 4 goals today gets them ahead of us on % and then it comes down to the margins against the Lions and Saints, if both clubs win. 

Both routes are nerve wracking. 

Imagine having to watch Max Kings goal kicking to decide whether you're in Sydney for the first final. 

Then again, beating Brisbane over there and making top 4 should suffice. Let the chips fall where they may after that.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

All three scenarios have their strengths and weaknesses. We’ve had awful trouble against both sides at the MCG, with the Pies recent dominance over us since 2017 and Sydney since quite frankly 2002.

On the other hand, we’re a largely unproven quantity at the SCG with sporadic games in 2016, 2019 and a disastrous loss to lowly Collingwood last year.

Two things I do know:

1) If one of the above scenarios arose, then we’ll be opening our campaign with a side that has the wood over us if you value history.

2) The club’s front office will be hoping for scenario one and three given the devastation of 30,000 odd MFC, MCC and AFL members missing last years grand final/premiership in addition to the other finals that were missed by even more members and supporters.

Furthermore, it was rumoured that Pert wanted to play Brisbane at the G in week 1 last year behind empty stands. Thus clearly the admin are hoping for an MCG final over the SCG.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

We can play Freo at the MCG if St Kilda beat Sydney and Collingwood lose both games.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

We can play Freo at the MCG if St Kilda beat Sydney and Collingwood lose both games.

Also a possibility.

The only thing I worry for is if we play the pies at the MCG. I'm not familiar with how Finals ticket allocations work, but we will most certainly be outnumbered 70% to 30%. That would be a nightmare, given how much the Collingwood crowd lifted the players at last weeks game...

20 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

Also a possibility.

The only thing I worry for is if we play the pies at the MCG. I'm not familiar with how Finals ticket allocations work, but we will most certainly be outnumbered 70% to 30%. That would be a nightmare, given how much the Collingwood crowd lifted the players at last weeks game...

I think the difference between playing Collingwood as a 2/3 seed is a negligible enough reason to go for the outcomes that get it done. I'm done with watching other teams having to chase down % to leap frog us. As if the Saints are going to fight to the death to prevent a 30 point loss, instead of a 20 point loss that gives us an MCG final against the Swans. And id rather not play at the SCG - As I don't think the stadium is worthy of a Qualifying Final - Unremarkable spectacle on tv. Also I don't think we'll get the rub of the green.

Freo is obviously the best option for us but its so unlikely its hardly worth mentioning lol

Edited by John Demonic

7 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

Collingwood.

1 hour ago, Deenooos_ said:

Also a possibility.

MCC would favour Melbourne, AFL would favour Collingwood then the rest are split 50/50 amongst members before going to GA I'd assume? Should be more even than r21 you'd hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

This has also been and no doubt will continue to do my head in the coming weeks. To cope my strategy is fairly simple. Play whoever, play wherever, just bloody win. GO DEES 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

A knock down dragged out brawl with lots of injuries and reports. Swans by 1 point kicked after the bell. 

That’s pretty much exactly what I just texted to a mate of mine. And being reasonably minded, I don’t want to see any life threatening injuries, broken bones and muscles torn from limbs would be fine by me. GO DEES!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

So who do we want to win today, Pies or Swans?

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

To put us in the best position

Depends what you want; Sydney win today and they are likely 2nd as they play StK next week and will make up the percentage on us. That means we win against Brisbane and play in Sydney in a QF. We lose and we finish 5th or 6th.

Collingwood win today and we will play them at the G most likely in a QF if they beat Carlton next week and we beat BL.

Still lots of permutations but basically if we lose, we are out of the top 4 anyway so don’t worry too much about Coll or Sydney.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

Ive been checking flight prices to Sydney, hopefully the game isnt on a Friday night.