CHANGES: Rd 15 vs Brisbane

Demonland

5 hours ago, one_demon said:

That doesn't mean he's a good ruckman 

Quite right. But I think playing in the ruck makes him a better forward. 

His issue has always been that he doesn't engage the body. Takes marks on the lead or with a run and jump at a pack to use his reach. Defenders know this and engage him early and buffet him out of the contest. 

As a ruck or resting forward he's often given more leeway to run and jump 

I've got no confidence it will happen but hope this stint can be the making of him. Lord knows the list needs it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fr_ap said:

Quite right. But I think playing in the ruck makes him a better forward. 

His issue has always been that he doesn't engage the body. Takes marks on the lead or with a run and jump at a pack to use his reach. Defenders know this and engage him early and buffet him out of the contest. 

As a ruck or resting forward he's often given more leeway to run and jump 

I've got no confidence it will happen but hope this stint can be the making of him. Lord knows the list needs it 

Bottom line is, IF Weed is selected then true MFC supporters should give him every support and encouragement.  Deriding his selection cannot do him or the team any good at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

fwiw, nathan jones is 'surprised' weed didn't play in place of plugger mac

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/06/18/former-melbourne-captain-shocked-by-non-selection-of-melbourne-forward/

“I was actually shocked when we heard about the extent of the (Tom) McDonald injury and how long he’d be out, automatically in my mind I thought ‘here’s (Weideman’s) chance, and he wasn’t picked,” Jones said.

“He isn’t necessarily crashing the door down with his form, but it’s just an obvious choice for mine and they went a different way with (Mitch) Brown.”

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

wiw, nathan jones is 'surprised' weed didn't play in place of plugger mac

Surely they're trying to send Weideman a message? Last chance saloon and all that.

• Sad 1

In - Weid, Rivers, May

Out - Gawn, M Brown, Turner, Chandler 

Bedford as sub.

Rivers is a good young player that shouldn’t be spending more than 2 weeks at Casey.

Weid needs to stay in for the entire time Max is out as our back up ruck. I really hope his form makes it impossible for him to be dropped as we have T Mac out long term.

I’m sure they’ll acknowledge that they got the M Brown selection wrong.

I wonder if Bowey is at any selection risk?? His form and influence has dropped off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bing181 said:

Surely they're trying to send Weideman a message? Last chance saloon and all that.

That’s exactly it, he may well have given a better go the Mitch Brown but he wasn’t playing well and didn’t deserve to be picked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wonder if Bowey is at any selection risk?? His form and influence has dropped off.

I wondered this myself after the Pies loss, the question is is his loss of form due to the rest of the team playing poorly or is his form drop separate to the larger team? There are many players where when the top falls they can’t contribute in the same way (ANB, Spargo, Sparrow come to mind here). I hope Bowey is separate to that, he looks a long term prospect but when you look at someone like Brayshaw who still gives everything to get us over the line when the rest of the team isn’t performing, that’s the sort of player I want Bowser to become. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, monoccular said:

Bottom line is, IF Weed is selected then true MFC supporters should give him every support and encouragement.  Deriding his selection cannot do him or the team any good at all.

I'm sure if he gets selected everyone on here supports him and hope he goes well. Players don't read these posts you do know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pates said:

I wondered this myself after the Pies loss, the question is is his loss of form due to the rest of the team playing poorly or is his form drop separate to the larger team? There are many players where when the top falls they can’t contribute in the same way (ANB, Spargo, Sparrow come to mind here). I hope Bowey is separate to that, he looks a long term prospect but when you look at someone like Brayshaw who still gives everything to get us over the line when the rest of the team isn’t performing, that’s the sort of player I want Bowser to become. 

Agree 100%.

There’s also the matter of spots available down back with Hibberd and Salem’s return and the club’s reluctance to move Brayshaw out of defence.

Rivers is a good young player who by all reports has responded well to his omission. Perhaps they do a straight swap. Rivers in for Bowey who could do with a refresh at Casey.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I can understand why we stuck with Weid, if he was willing to stay it would’ve been hard for the club and coaches to move him on.

Sticking with Daw and Mitch Brown both deep in to the twilight of their careers looks like hubris after the flag to me. Neither of them have the bodies for consistent AFL footy and it’s been years since they played proper stints.

.... or economics and list management.

16 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

fwiw, nathan jones is 'surprised' weed didn't play in place of plugger mac

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/06/18/former-melbourne-captain-shocked-by-non-selection-of-melbourne-forward/

“I was actually shocked when we heard about the extent of the (Tom) McDonald injury and how long he’d be out, automatically in my mind I thought ‘here’s (Weideman’s) chance, and he wasn’t picked,” Jones said.

“He isn’t necessarily crashing the door down with his form, but it’s just an obvious choice for mine and they went a different way with (Mitch) Brown.”

Nathan knows best. Staggered they went the Mitch Brown route. He is a VFL player can't or won't play KPF. He's a big HFF. Should be delisted at year's end along with Majak because neither are up to it. I was really annoyed when they played Mitch that second week because he went MIA and added SFA. Weed either gets played or trade. Her has to be given 5 games in a row. I mean we've carried BBB for 4 weeks with very little output. While I'm on it please don't bring in Baker he's another one who's a good VFL player but can't execute the basics at AFL level. Recruit some younger players like Daniel Turner and watch them grow. We have to stop being a retirement home for the likes of Mitch & Majak etc.....

3 hours ago, Pates said:

They should all be on notice. Harmes, Bowey, Sparrow, ANB and Spargo have not contributed enough. We need to stop bombing the ball to a contest and lower our eyes and look for all options.

3 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

I wish Preuss was still on our list.

Not really.  He was injured all of last year.  Played 7 games this year and was injured again yesterday.

Sadly is body isn't very reliable.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cantstandyasam said:

Nathan knows best. Staggered they went the Mitch Brown route. He is a VFL player can't or won't play KPF. He's a big HFF. Should be delisted at year's end along with Majak because neither are up to it. I was really annoyed when they played Mitch that second week because he went MIA and added SFA. Weed either gets played or trade. Her has to be given 5 games in a row. I mean we've carried BBB for 4 weeks with very little output. While I'm on it please don't bring in Baker he's another one who's a good VFL player but can't execute the basics at AFL level. Recruit some younger players like Daniel Turner and watch them grow. We have to stop being a retirement home for the likes of Mitch & Majak etc.....

Weid had to come out after the Freo game, he was diabolical. And the thing we needed against Sydney was someone to hit up in to space. Mitch was worth a gamble for that game at least. Not so much for last week.

Time again for Weid now that Max is out. 

But also time for a different look up forward rather than 2 rucks, 2 talls and Fritsch.

Absolutely agree it’s time for Jason Taylor and co to get to work and find some maturing state league talls or bargain basement pick ups who can develop in to proper depth. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

I wish Preuss was still on our list.

Preuss had a massive opportunity  against the Dogs in 2020 when Max was injured and failed (as did we that day) on that occasion against the likes of Josh Dunkley or whichever other midget they put in the ruck.

Dogs made finals by a game with a worse percentage than us.

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Weid had to come out after the Freo game, he was diabolical.

From the very same game:

Ben Brown - 2 disposals, 1mark, 0 goals, 1 tackle

It's interesting to weigh their forms and output against the commentary by fans about their performances this year.

Season averages:
Brown - 8.1 disposals, 3.3 marks, 0.8 contested marks, 1.6 marks inside 50, 1.7 goals, 0.6 tackles
Weid - 8.2 disposals, 3.2 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 1.5 marks inside 50, 1.5 goals, 1.2 tackles

For clarity, I'm not saying Weid has been good by any stretch, but comparatively there has been very little talk about Brown's extremely poor 2022. Would also be interested if there was a stat about contests lost, as he seems to have been especially bad at that this year. Rated as 'below average' for 7 out of his 10 games this year, including the last 5 in a row.

Brown is also miles behind his averages for 2021 in key areas like marks, contested marks, marks inside 50, tackles, inside 50s, and massively behind on metres gained - and some of those stats tell me he's not covering as much ground and applying anywhere near the same amount of pressure, yet he's averaging slightly more time on ground.

The pressure should well and truly be on this senior player who absolutely is letting us down this year, instead of the ridiculous amount of focus on a depth forward on a short and minimal contract.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 8:36 PM, Travy14 said:

FB:  Salem  May  Bowie

Common knowledge that Salem's a Christian and May's definitely a sinner but resurrecting Bowie puts the that last line of defence in the same league as JC.

Edited by Tarax Club
be bold divine intervention anyone?
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

From the very same game:

It's interesting to weigh their forms and output against the commentary by fans about their performances this year.

Season averages:
Brown - 8.1 disposals, 3.3 marks, 0.8 contested marks, 1.6 marks inside 50, 1.7 goals, 0.6 tackles
Weid - 8.2 disposals, 3.2 marks, 1.3 contested marks, 1.5 marks inside 50, 1.5 goals, 1.2 tackles

For clarity, I'm not saying Weid has been good by any stretch, but comparatively there has been very little talk about Brown's extremely poor 2022. Would also be interested if there was a stat about contests lost, as he seems to have been especially bad at that this year. Rated as 'below average' for 7 out of his 10 games this year, including the last 5 in a row.

Brown is also miles behind his averages for 2021 in key areas like marks, contested marks, marks inside 50, tackles, inside 50s, and massively behind on metres gained - and some of those stats tell me he's not covering as much ground and applying anywhere near the same amount of pressure, yet he's averaging slightly more time on ground.

The pressure should well and truly be on this senior player who absolutely is letting us down this year, instead of the ridiculous amount of focus on a depth forward on a short and minimal contract.

Rightly or wrongly people have rated them on their upside of which BB has a far greater. But you're correct he's been very poor compared to last year, needs a big lift .

1 minute ago, loges said:

Rightly or wrongly people have rated them on their upside of which BB has a far greater. But you're correct he's been very poor compared to last year, needs a big lift .

But wouldn't BB having the far greater upside and proven record mean he should be judged accordingly?

58 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

But wouldn't BB having the far greater upside and proven record mean he should be judged accordingly?

I think he gets given more chances on the hope that he will come good.

7 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree 100%.

There’s also the matter of spots available down back with Hibberd and Salem’s return and the club’s reluctance to move Brayshaw out of defence.

Rivers is a good young player who by all reports has responded well to his omission. Perhaps they do a straight swap. Rivers in for Bowey who could do with a refresh at Casey.

Maybe play Rivers at HFF

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

From the very same game:

Season averages:

Stats don't lie. Brown hasn't been the player he was last year and he needs to be.

• Like 1