Public Apology to my children

Maybe next year

My first post. I had to sign up to publically apologise to my children who are 8 and 6. I continued the family tradition and encouraged them to be Melbourne supporters. From the moment they were born I was singing them the Melbourne theme song and I am proud to say they could say the word "acqaintance" before they could say "Mummy". They are now die hard supporters (as much as they can be at that age) and join me (and my parents) every week to enjoy (I mean suffer) Melbourne play. I am 38 and am beginning to give up seeing a premiership in my life time. At least I saw two grand finals - shame they were both thrashings. I hope that one day they will get to see a premiership. Anyway..........

MY APOLOGIES KIDS - IT IS MY FATHER"S FAULT

Ps. Can anyone suggest how I can explain to these kids what a "Demon" is and how this compares to the "SAINT" who their mother supports.

Ps. Can anyone suggest how I can explain to these kids what a "Demon" is and how this compares to the "SAINT" who their mother supports.

Sorry can't help. I did my apology 3 years ago.

The one consolation to my 10 year old was that at least he saw the Dees in a final at that age. I was 33 before I had that pleasure.

Good luck.

Its surprising how they stick though.

I guess sharing a birthday with the great Garry Lyon helps. Exactly 20 years difference. (great planning)

I myself share a birthday with travis.

Sorry can't help. I did my apology 3 years ago.

The one consolation to my 10 year old was that at least he saw the Dees in a final at that age. I was 33 before I had that pleasure.

Good luck.

Its surprising how they stick though.

I guess sharing a birthday with the great Garry Lyon helps. Exactly 20 years difference. (great planning)

I myself share a birthday with travis.

I'm 39 and despite not winning a premiership (along with the Saints, Dogs, Cats, and the Lions of old) in my living memory, I've always considered it a privilage to barrack for the club. I barrack for the Dees because it's the club that I chose, it's the club of Hughes, Smith, Cordner, Barassi, Spencer, Dixon, Ridley, Adams, Alves, Flower, Lyon, Stynes etc.... It's what the club stands for that I love... I can see no reason to apologise to your kids, if winning is all they care about in footy then barrack for the Eagles... they should feel right at home.

I'm 39 and despite not winning a premiership (along with the Saints, Dogs, Cats, and the Lions of old) in my living memory, I've always considered it a privilage to barrack for the club. I barrack for the Dees because it's the club that I chose, it's the club of Hughes, Smith, Cordner, Barassi, Spencer, Dixon, Ridley, Adams, Alves, Flower, Lyon, Stynes etc.... It's what the club stands for that I love... I can see no reason to apologise to your kids, if winning is all they care about in footy then barrack for the Eagles... they should feel right at home.

I understand what u r saying. However, when the kids leave the game and see their team lose they are very sad. Later, when they get teased because Melbourne is hopless they will be frustrated. FOr that I apologise. On saying that, it makes the wins more enjoyable.

I understand what u r saying. However, when the kids leave the game and see their team lose they are very sad. Later, when they get teased because Melbourne is hopless they will be frustrated. FOr that I apologise. On saying that, it makes the wins more enjoyable.

I'm a demon through and through. And have been in this sad journey MANY times in my 54 years. WILL ALWAYS BE A DEMON.....desperately seeking a premiership flag ( alittle young to appreciate 1952-64) but so wanting to experience the feeling SOON.

The key message I'd be telling my kids (and that I tell myself for that matter) is that it might hurt a bit now, but just think about how good it's going to feel when we do win a flag!!!

And that's not an IF.....but simply a WHEN!

I stopped caring after I saw the first 12 "woe is me, the club owes me" topics. I don't know why I looked in here.

It is pretty ironic that Melbourne fans come on a Melbourne site to complain about being Melbourne supporters. :blink:

Football has its ups and downs, but it's not a must and nobody is forcing you to stick around.

Being a Melbourne supporter is a tough job, but I firmly believe that we're all stronger people for it :lol:

It does. I used to cry when I was a kid and Melbourne lost - and I was only listening to it on the radio. Then I remember the days when we'd beat an inform team and I'd be on top of the world. (I guess that's why we call it love )

Being gracious and humble in victory is probably something you should instill in your kids, because in footy you are only one win closer to your next embarrassing defeat.

It does. I used to cry when I was a kid and Melbourne lost - and I was only listening to it on the radio. Then I remember the days when we'd beat an inform team and I'd be on top of the world. (I guess that's why we call it love )

Being gracious and humble in victory is probably something you should instill in your kids, because in footy you are only one win closer to your next embarrassing defeat.

Agree with both your posts Graz. I share your outlook.

It does. I used to cry when I was a kid and Melbourne lost

So did I. My mum used to feel so sorry for me that she (as a devout Collingwood supporter) ended up barracking for Melbourne to win just so she didn't have to listen to me carry on after each game. These days she's a Collingwood AND Melbourne supporter.

My first post. I had to sign up to publically apologise to my children who are 8 and 6. I continued the family tradition and encouraged them to be Melbourne supporters. From the moment they were born I was singing them the Melbourne theme song and I am proud to say they could say the word "acqaintance" before they could say "Mummy". They are now die hard supporters (as much as they can be at that age) and join me (and my parents) every week to enjoy (I mean suffer) Melbourne play. I am 38 and am beginning to give up seeing a premiership in my life time. At least I saw two grand finals - shame they were both thrashings. I hope that one day they will get to see a premiership. Anyway..........

MY APOLOGIES KIDS - IT IS MY FATHER"S FAULT

Get a real problem.

Its a concious decision we all made years ago. Growing up in the 70's was tougher following the Dee's than now.

Its all about timing, have a chat to any Demon supporters in there 50's.

We are a club steeped rich in tradition & yes its been along time between drinks.

Continue to support your club & be proud & loud about your choice.

& yes I'm in the same boat with 4 diehard Demon supporting children. I'm 43 & still waiting.

At least the kids have seen September action with the Dee's I had to wait until I was 24 for this privelage.

As a family unit hang in there, in your support of our great club. Our time will come!

I, like the rest of you am a very depressed, uninterested, down in the dumps Melbourne supporter at the moment. It just doesn’t seem fair. I’m a demon, my dad is a demon, as was his dad. Now my 8-week-old son is already a demon. Despite how lacking of success my football watching life has been I wouldn’t and couldn’t barrack for any other team.

When my wife sends me pictures like the one attached the cup missing from the cabinet fades into insignificance.

This really is a silly post (how could we barrack for anyone else????) other than giving me the opportunity to add another picture….

post-195-1176870249_thumb.jpg

So did I. My mum used to feel so sorry for me that she (as a devout Collingwood supporter) ended up barracking for Melbourne to win just so she didn't have to listen to me carry on after each game. These days she's a Collingwood AND Melbourne supporter.

Ok :huh:

When its Melbourne v Collingwood-- who does she support? or does she have one foot in each camp, or sit on the fence?

Out of my family- im the only one that supports the dees and afl in general

I'd very much hope that if i had any kids in the future (hopefully quite a bit of a distant future as i'm in second year uni!) they would be Dees through and through. Although choosing to support Melbourne, or any team for that matter, condemns you to much pain, it's worth it for the moments like last years qualifying final or for when we do finally reach the Holy Grail.

The key message I'd be telling my kids (and that I tell myself for that matter) is that it might hurt a bit now, but just think about how good it's going to feel when we do win a flag!!!

And that's not an IF.....but simply a WHEN!

I disagree, they key message is "Its a game, enjoy it for what it is!"

Winning is great, true, losing graciously is "nice" but the real thing is getting into something you enjoy.

As a long term Demon tragic, it was drilled into me that we go to the football to enjoy ourselves. Same reason I played suburban football until I was 38, enjoy it!

When times are tough, try this with the kids. Go and watch one player. For me it was Barry Bourke, then Laurie Fowler. Later it was Robbie, then O'Dwyer and G Lyon.

If we were getting a real pasting (like say the day Longmire kicked 12 against us and Bennett was moved to full back on him) enjoy watching the form player. Move seats to be near the action,watch and learn.

When I lived in Melbourne I also used to go to games just to watch players. eg Ablett, Hodges, Dunstall, Weightman, Moncrief.

This works well if they are playing as well. Make it a learning experience. Cheer the marks, wince at the big hits and yes, live it up when the Dees win!

I'm a demon through and through. And have been in this sad journey MANY times in my 54 years. WILL ALWAYS BE A DEMON.....desperately seeking a premiership flag ( alittle young to appreciate 1952-64) but so wanting to experience the feeling SOON.

Aren't we all ! 1964 is a life time ago.

It could be worse. You could barrack for Richmond.

Funny that.

Good family friends of ours are Richmond supporters. Last weekend they took their 5 year old to her first ever match, all decked out in yellow and black.

The following day, I asked her how she enjoyed her first match.

Her answer: "It was good, but we lost".

I didn't have the heart to tell the poor soul that she had better get used to it.

It's absolutely criminal to force your children to barrack for Richmond if you ask me. :lol:

Funny that.

Good family friends of ours are Richmond supporters. Last weekend they took their 5 year old to her first ever match, all decked out in yellow and black.

The following day, I asked her how she enjoyed her first match.

Her answer: "It was good, but we lost".

I didn't have the heart to tell the poor soul that she had better get used to it.

It's absolutely criminal to force your children to barrack for Richmond if you ask me. :lol:

Sadly I have clear Memories of Richmond winning Flags in 73 - 74 & 80

I dont have any of memories of The Dee's winning any. :angry:

:unsure: in 05 l took me little one to the footy she loved it every game she saw live WE WON.

last year she went to all the games at the G but the sydney game which we lost .

maybe becouse she was not their l started to think she was our good luck.

she loved the saints final to see her dees win.

she told me they would lose the next week and they did.

along came that thing called summer and all she wanted was the footy back.

well what can l say now she thinks her good luck has ran out .

at least she gets to sing the song when our boys come out to um oh what do you call it again ?

PLAY

Sadly I have clear Memories of Richmond winning Flags in 73 - 74 & 80

I was thinking more from the point of view of the kids. Any kid barracking for Richmond now has a long long dry spell in front of them.

Me neither, but my dad has never felt the need to apologise to me for never giving me a choice ;) !!!

Being the first born and being wrapped in red and blue at a very young age left me with little resistance......

Not that I would change a thing :D !!!